Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I’ve had suntek carbon 18% on my BMW for at least a decade and it’s in great shape other than a couple places where it got scratched. No fading or anything, looks great. My other cars also have Suntek Carbon and look great but they’re much more recent installs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I’ve got the meguiars compound and polish from the OP, some chemical brothers gallon of soap (no wax) to use with a foam bun, some other Chemical brothers soap with wax, and then some collinite 845 liquid wax, and a synthetic clay bar sponge. Plus microfiber towels and those sponge applicator pads.

I had my car detailed a month or two ago and he missed a few scratches and the parking lot has added a few more. What’s the best way to fix these? Wash car, compound/polish the scratches and wax the entire thing?

What’s the purpose of polish if you’re just going to wax? Does polish make it shine and wax protects the shine? It seems like it’d be “good enough” if I just compound the scratches because they seem pretty shiny after hitting it with a microfiber towel.

There’s some scratches that the meguiars compound isn’t getting out. I dunno if it’s my lack of technique, or because I’m doing it by hand, or because it’s not aggressive enough of a compound (or all three). I can make the scratch look “less worse” but not remove
It completely like the guy doing the detail did, who used a buffer and more aggressive compound. The scratches I’m working on are NOT as bad as the ones he was able to remove.

Finally, for a guy with not a lot of time on his hand who can’t hand wax every other week, probably just once/twice a year, what should I do as a twice a month treatment?

Edit: NO NO NO! THE FORECAST SAID NO RAIN ALL WEEK AND I JUST SPENT TWO loving HOURS OUTSIDE ON MY CAR. WHY THE gently caress IS IT RAINING!?!?!?

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 22, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

You did the detailing raindance goongrats.

Polish is essentially finer compound; it'll give you that extra pop especially with darker colors but doesn't provide any protection.

Are you paint correcting by hand? As long as your scratches aren't through the clearcoat it ahould buff out but will take forever if you're hand polishing.

You could try Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax, it's tried and true. Outlasts many boutique products (but don't apply it over your collinite, it won't stick). If you want that wax glow, apply the HCW, let it cure, then top off with collonite.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What do you mean paint correcting by hand? I don’t have a buffer, so I’m just using those wax applicator sponges and a microfiber towel to buff it out.

For the hybrid wax, are you saying I use that instead of the collonite?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

yea if you're trying to remove scratches by hand it'll take forever (depends how deep)

collinite 845 is great, but if you just want to do it once or twice a year, one of the spray ceramics would serve you better imo

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nwin posted:

So I’ve got the meguiars compound and polish from the OP, some chemical brothers gallon of soap (no wax) to use with a foam bun, some other Chemical brothers soap with wax, and then some collinite 845 liquid wax, and a synthetic clay bar sponge. Plus microfiber towels and those sponge applicator pads.

I had my car detailed a month or two ago and he missed a few scratches and the parking lot has added a few more. What’s the best way to fix these? Wash car, compound/polish the scratches and wax the entire thing?

What’s the purpose of polish if you’re just going to wax? Does polish make it shine and wax protects the shine? It seems like it’d be “good enough” if I just compound the scratches because they seem pretty shiny after hitting it with a microfiber towel.

There’s some scratches that the meguiars compound isn’t getting out. I dunno if it’s my lack of technique, or because I’m doing it by hand, or because it’s not aggressive enough of a compound (or all three). I can make the scratch look “less worse” but not remove
It completely like the guy doing the detail did, who used a buffer and more aggressive compound. The scratches I’m working on are NOT as bad as the ones he was able to remove.

Finally, for a guy with not a lot of time on his hand who can’t hand wax every other week, probably just once/twice a year, what should I do as a twice a month treatment?

Edit: NO NO NO! THE FORECAST SAID NO RAIN ALL WEEK AND I JUST SPENT TWO loving HOURS OUTSIDE ON MY CAR. WHY THE gently caress IS IT RAINING!?!?!?

Hey boy (or hey girl), if you're surrendering to using an orange wedge to polish the car, you're definitely under the influence of exiting planet dust.

Now where do we begin? You can leave home, and let someone else detail it, but you've already dug your own hole getting equipment. I like to get started before the setting sun, even if it's getting late we've got to try to push the button of that DA polisher, but it really can get out of control.

Now once you've got glint, you might do what I did, and decide to let forever be, and just hit the local car wash a couple times per month.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sounds like I’m buying that harbor freight DA deal next paycheck.

The meguiar hybrid wax-does it matter if it’s the spray or a squeeze bottle?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got some aluminum wheels that I want to refinish. They're a very lightly machined texture and clearcoat.

I'm sure people do things like idle the car and sand, but I could easily rig something up on the bench or on a lathe that will spin a 4x100 hub safely to block sand out the wheel (and keep the radial scratch pattern).

Is that an insane plan? I don't want to paint them silver, the holes/indents in the wheel are actually painted a light grey that I wouldn't be able to mask and repaint accurately. I've got some somewhat deep scratches in them that probably won't come all the way out, but getting down to bright aluminum and clearcoating would look a thousand times better than they do now.

Not mine (mine look worse, some oxidation and scratches, and chipped clear), but the same wheel. Mostly a solid surface.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The spray for ease of use and durability.

There's billions of other options out there, but meguiars hcw spray is a safe recommendation.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Hi,

Apologies in advance if these are giant images, I’m using mobile. Anyway, this is the pristine back seat of my beloved Golf, Heidi. We’ve been together for just over five years.

Sadly, five years of my arse on the drivers seat has left that looking somewhat less than pristine:

I’m looking for tips to get five years of bum sweat and skin dust out of that fabric. I have some Megs Carpet & Interior Cleaner but I don’t want to start in case I gently caress it up so I thought I’d ask you guys first.

Cheers!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

smooth jazz posted:

The spray for ease of use and durability.

There's billions of other options out there, but meguiars hcw spray is a safe recommendation.

Thanks! Looking at Amazon reviews, recommended directions are all over the place. (Apply when wet, apply when dry, apply when wet, wait, then apply dry, etc).

Any suggestions on how to use it?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

This is a good how-to for HCW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxNmf6-OYs

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've used Zymol leather cleaner + conditioner for years but my current stash is getting low. Anything else I should be considering?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
ColourLock seem to be one of the best ones that I've come across. I've been using it for a couple of years. Started using it on my shoes as well.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Looks decent, I'm going to give them a shot. I should be using this stuff on my dress shoes and bike jacket anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I assume this is the thread for this, but has anyone here got any experience with UV hardening clear coats? I just found about it and it looks interesting. Hear it's supposed to be a lot like 2k clear coat but no nasty isocyanates since it uses UV to cure. And need to mix with hardeners or poo poo either, just use as 1k product. It sounds really appealing except the price which is very expensive, 150 euros for a quart.

I was looking specifically at Mipas 1k UV product (think they're german) but I guess there are different ones in the US.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
If a scratch is deep enough to get your fingernail into but still not through the clear coat (hopefully) is compound enough to get that out, or does that get into the realm of sanding?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Starter DA polisher?

First read through pointed me to the harbor freight one and buying a 5” ventilated backing plate. Then you go to the autogeek forums and they don’t even mention that but talk about the griot garage g9 as a “minimum”. Other forums say the max shine lt15 is the way to go.

I’m so loving confused. I’ll be using this on a sedan and an suv, one of which has some scratches. I’m never going to be a professional detailer.

I don’t mind paying a bit more for a lifetime warranty with the griot model, but I’m beyond confused and need to do some more research. Thoughts?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i have a griots model that i bought a few years ago and i really like it. the newer ones are even nicer, while being cheaper than the previous models.

imo this is a good starting point and should cover most people's needs for getting started and not getting too crazy into detailing.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/g9+orbital+correct+protect+kit.do?sortby=ourPicks

however if you dont want to buy a combo kit, and want to go ala carte, i'd pick:

G9 buffer
synthetic claybar
orange pads

sealant or polish and ceramic wax spray

microfibers, definitely dont have to get griots but dont buy the cheapest ones you can find.

edit, this also assumes you have a double wash bucket setup, bucket grates, soap and a microfiber mitt.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 2, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I didn't realize a can of comically hopped IPA was rolling around the back of my SUV until I heard a sprinkler sound this morning and it sprayed IPA everywhere. Thankfully it mostly hit the floor mat and parts of the car that were easy enough to wipe off. Can I just soak the floor mat really well with a hose and let it dry, or should I use some sort of carpet cleaning agent? or both?

It's a great beer but probably one of the worst options to have spray all over your car.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
What do you guys use for cleaning tires? The Mother's wheel and tire spray worked fine, but not super jazzed about buying a bottle every other wash.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I have P&S Brake Buster and Adam’s Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Both are fine and would recommend whichever is cheaper.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

F-Bomb is also really good.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

What do you guys use for cleaning tires? The Mother's wheel and tire spray worked fine, but not super jazzed about buying a bottle every other wash.

Westly's Black Magic Bleche-Wite
https://www.blackmagicshine.com/tire-care/bleche-wite-tire-cleaner/

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
One of the cars I'll be using it on has grey painted aluminum wheels, all those recommendations safe for that? What should I watch out for?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Mundon posted:

AmmoNYC Mud is the best product I have ever used.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

DoomTrainPhD posted:

AmmoNYC Mud is the best product I have ever used.

I love ammo stuff, need to pick up some Mudd, so far I've tried Skin, the paint sealant, Spit spray detailer, reboot spray enamel coat, and hydrate, which you spray on a wet car while drying it with a big microfiber.

It looks like he just added a ton of new stuff, my wallet is going to explode...

It seems overpriced but whatever, I'd rather support a local dude and probably the best youtube detailer than some big brand.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think Hydrate is just some hydrocarbon that evaporates quickly and a nice smell, but it sure does help when you're trying to dry a black car and it's a little too hot outside so you get those instant water spots. I use a cheap RV filter on my hose but it still leaves mineral spots, but the really nice systems are pretty pricey.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My GF touched the door with wet nail polish and now I have no idea how to get it off without damaging the paint. Any thoughts?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any idea what this is? My wife’s car gets them all the time on the hood and front fenders of the car. I can scrape it off with a fingernail but it leaves a black mark. It reminds me of those button candy thing that were stuck on pieces of paper. Is it a spider egg or balls of tar or something? I have no loving clue.

For size reference, it’s probably 1/20 the size of a penny? I dunno-loving small.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

KillHour posted:

My GF touched the door with wet nail polish and now I have no idea how to get it off without damaging the paint. Any thoughts?

Ultimate Compound and a microfiber.

If that doesnt work try it with an orbital (if you have one).

Dont use acetone.

nwin posted:

Any idea what this is? My wife’s car gets them all the time on the hood and front fenders of the car. I can scrape it off with a fingernail but it leaves a black mark. It reminds me of those button candy thing that were stuck on pieces of paper. Is it a spider egg or balls of tar or something? I have no loving clue.

For size reference, it’s probably 1/20 the size of a penny? I dunno-loving small.

Could just be nasty tree sap? Parking under any trees? Get that poo poo on the outdoor parked jeep all the time and it comes right off with rubbing alcohol.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 12, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

rubbing alcohol.

I know you said this for the tree sap but the nail polish came off like magic with a tiny dab of rubbing alcohol so thanks. I imagine that stripped the wax off too so I ordered some wax and I'm going to hand wash it tomorrow when it's not raining. Thanks!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Digital_Jesus posted:

Ultimate Compound and a microfiber.

If that doesnt work try it with an orbital (if you have one).

Dont use acetone.

I'd say synthetic clay first, regular clay with a lubricant second. It'll come right off If not UC will, but that's my "Step 3"

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If in doubt; brake cleaner.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm having the Volvo detailed and coated next week.
The rock chips appear to have flash rusted over this weekend. Should I attempt to correct them or let the guy handle it (he was aware I had chips when I booked the detail)?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bape Culture posted:

If in doubt; brake cleaner.

Also, sever.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Has anyone found a buffer/polisher that is very small? Like 3 inches?

Working with little white Kei trucks it would be very nice to have something to get under and around the windshields and bed sides (they aren't flat). The 6" is too big. I saw a 3" polisher for like $80 at HF but A. that is pricy and B. didn't know if it would burn through the paint

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

everdave posted:

Has anyone found a buffer/polisher that is very small? Like 3 inches?

Working with little white Kei trucks it would be very nice to have something to get under and around the windshields and bed sides (they aren't flat). The 6" is too big. I saw a 3" polisher for like $80 at HF but A. that is pricy and B. didn't know if it would burn through the paint

Well i was going to link the Griots G8 Mini but that's $140 so if $60 is too expensive i don't know what to tell ya!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What’s the general rule of thumb for PPF? I’ve got a new car coming very soon (RAV4 hybrid) and while it’s not sexy or cool it is brand new so would be nice to keep it looking good.

Was planning a new car detail and ceramic coat anyway but thought PPF on the front bumper and sills would be a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

DoubleT2172 posted:

Well i was going to link the Griots G8 Mini but that's $140 so if $60 is too expensive i don't know what to tell ya!

I’ll check it out I’m just being a spendthrift - if it will save me hours it will be worth it I’ll look it up