Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

WarpedNaba posted:

Eh, China were also arseholes to Korea up until the Opium wars broke its back.

Well, they were even past that.

Really right up until the point Japan stole Korea from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I do sort of wonder if the Japanese would have been as big of mega dicks if we didn't force them to open up in the 1850s

From my understanding, we forced them to open up, they looked at the world and realized "holy poo poo we are far, far behind" and then went absolutely ham catching up on two centuries of progress in the span of like 40 years

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
When I went to school in Japan one of the history text books had a little political commentary poster with a map of Russia China and Japan , each country had a person sitting on it fishing, and the fish was Korea.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

low key sex master posted:

I do sort of wonder if the Japanese would have been as big of mega dicks if we didn't force them to open up in the 1850s

From my understanding, we forced them to open up, they looked at the world and realized "holy poo poo we are far, far behind" and then went absolutely ham catching up on two centuries of progress in the span of like 40 years

I mean it was a long time ago, but the previous time they invaded Korea in the 16th century they were also mega dicks.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I know little of the dynamics of national hatreds in East Asia, but I'd guess it boils down to the Japanese being absolute giga-dicks like a generation ago, while the Chinese are being pretty big dicks right now.

This is how a chinese guy explained it to me 20 years ago.

"in this part of the world everyone has hosed everyone at some point in history"

So if you asked what someone is its offensive because "you cant tell?"

or worse

"you think I m X"

The funniest group to me it the thai they view themselves as being the master race.

I will never for get the rant I was subjected to at at urinal in bangkok about india people.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ups_rail posted:

The funniest group to me it the thai they view themselves as being the master race.
I believe it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Imagine being a pro-monarchist Thai and King Failson steps out of his limo looking like that.

Makes me wish one of the British royals had the sheer balls to do that.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Prince Charles gives a speech in a tank top with tattoos that rival the yakuza

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That is totally one of his girlfriend's tops, too.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My Facebook feed has been... interesting the last few months because I'm friends with Thais on both sides of the current political divide. The protests probably aren't getting any real international coverage, but it's as bad as any of the police protests in the states from last summer on a daily basis here. Protestors are asking for the standard things: a new constitution, the PM to step down, better covid response, etc. The response is predictable: cops being cops. Facebook is divided between people saying, "Please stop killing us," and, "Look at these whiners. Who do they think would be better at running this place than the current people? Babies."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Kharnifex posted:

When I went to school in Japan one of the history text books had a little political commentary poster with a map of Russia China and Japan , each country had a person sitting on it fishing, and the fish was Korea.

Well, I mean, those weren't exactly uncommon at the time.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

WarpedNaba posted:

Well, I mean, those weren't exactly uncommon at the time.

I am making assumptions about which country produced this comic based on how ugly each character was drawn. They must have been French or Russian.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Reverse imgae search:
http://imgur.com/a/ZdpaB0L

Artist's name is Wagner.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

url posted:

Reverse imgae search:

Artist's name is Wagner.

i think that's someone writing about it academically in the present day
edit: yeah, r wagner has this caption on his paper if you click through and scroll a lot:

def makes sense that russia is pretty too cuz france was actively courting them as an ally.

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 21, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

url posted:

Reverse imgae search:

Artist's name is Wagner.

it's ben garrison and he put a butt plug on kaiser wil's helm

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Mr. Fix It posted:

i think that's someone writing about it academically in the present day
edit: yeah, r wagner has this caption on his paper if you click through and scroll a lot:

def makes sense that russia is pretty too cuz france was actively courting them as an ally.

Cool. I was being lazy.

Alan Smithee posted:

it's ben garrison and he put a butt plug on kaiser wil's helm

I lolled - RIP me

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

SerCypher posted:

I am making assumptions about which country produced this comic based on how ugly each character was drawn. They must have been French or Russian.

Both, actually. France and Russia were allied at the time.

They are also the only ones drawn in an attractive fashion, although the Samurai looks fairly handsome too.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

They rapidly modernized, initially by outright copying whatever seemed to work in the west. Technology, industry, public services, government structure, educational systems, military tactics, and even their navy was directly modeled off the Royal Navy.

Unfortunately they also copied western attitudes on colonialism, and figured that if an island nation like England can conquer half the world, then Japan could take the other half. "Britain of the East" was a term used to describe the country going back a century, both by Japanese leaders themselves and international observers.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

SerCypher posted:

I'll go with french myself, seeing as the french word for China is on the pizza.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

je1 healthcare posted:

They rapidly modernized, initially by outright copying whatever seemed to work in the west. Technology, industry, public services, government structure, educational systems, military tactics, and even their navy was directly modeled off the Royal Navy.

Unfortunately they also copied western attitudes on colonialism, and figured that if an island nation like England can conquer half the world, then Japan could take the other half. "Britain of the East" was a term used to describe the country going back a century, both by Japanese leaders themselves and international observers.

The first thing Japan did after unifying via imperial conquest in the 1590's was to invade Korea (whom they had friendly relations with at the time) twice as part of an attempt to invade China. China invaded Korea a few decades later - also twice - but managed to pull it off during the second try and occupy them it until the late 1800's when yet another peasant revolt paired with domestic instability kicked them out just in time for Japan to line up another invasion.

Nobody had to teach them how to be imperialist.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 21, 2021

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

My Facebook feed has been... interesting the last few months because I'm friends with Thais on both sides of the current political divide. The protests probably aren't getting any real international coverage, but it's as bad as any of the police protests in the states from last summer on a daily basis here. Protestors are asking for the standard things: a new constitution, the PM to step down, better covid response, etc. The response is predictable: cops being cops. Facebook is divided between people saying, "Please stop killing us," and, "Look at these whiners. Who do they think would be better at running this place than the current people? Babies."

if you dont mind me asking but why do they want a new constitution?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

As far as I understand the standard narrative of Japan's modernization often greatly overstates the degree to which Japan was "backwards", in technological terms there was a lot of catching up to do for sure, but what Japan did have that alot of other developing countries in the 19th and 20th century did not have was that they had a booming and sophisticated national economy, a high degree of general prosperity (for 19th century Asia, most notably there had been no major famines IIRC since the 17th century) a growing and increasingly urbanized population (Tokyo/Edo was one of the largest cities in the world), widespread literacy and a powerful central government.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ups_rail posted:

After the populace persisted in electing left-wing governments no matter how many times the military deposed them, the military rewrote the constitution to make sure it couldn't happen again,

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ups_rail posted:

The Lone Badger posted:

After the populace persisted in electing left-wing governments no matter how many times the military deposed them, the military rewrote the constitution to make sure it couldn't happen again,

This is basically it. The people who viewed the coup as illegitimate saw the new constitution as codified illegitimacy. The people who supported the coup were the ones that were furious that left-wing governments kept getting elected. It's the same yellow-shirt vs red-shirt conflict that's been going on for years.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Prince Charles gives a speech in a tank top with tattoos that rival the yakuza

Worked for Frederick 9th of Denmark:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ups_rail posted:

WOW are these idiots so backwards that they haven't learned that we need to fight against WHITE SUPREMACY everywhere in the world? what a bunch of dumbass 3rd world idiots lol. fight against whiteness and help the poor Thai people who have been cheated into believing they are the master race from the nefarious white people who have snuck in there and altered their entire history and thinking

anyway I am queued up for a ban at some point from D&D so nice knowing you all when it actually happens. please turn my posts about my office moving in china into an NFT and send me some money for it

thanks for reading my shitpost

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

As far as I understand the standard narrative of Japan's modernization often greatly overstates the degree to which Japan was "backwards", in technological terms there was a lot of catching up to do for sure, but what Japan did have that alot of other developing countries in the 19th and 20th century did not have was that they had a booming and sophisticated national economy, a high degree of general prosperity (for 19th century Asia, most notably there had been no major famines IIRC since the 17th century) a growing and increasingly urbanized population (Tokyo/Edo was one of the largest cities in the world), widespread literacy and a powerful central government.

Japanese elites also wasn't super surprised at how advanced the world was, the "closed off" period isnt nearly as closed as popularly imagined. Yes foreigners were confined to the Dutch at Dejima and yes no Japanese person could leave the country under pain of death if they returned, but Japan was buying massive amounts of technical, medical, artistic, and political books from the Dutch. It was an entire field of study known as Rangaku, or Western Learning. What they were surprised at was how bold the West was and how much further ahead their naval technology was than they had assumed, but by the time Commodore Perry had appeared the Shogunate had already begun spending massive amounts of money beginning to upgrade the coastal defenses to a modern standard using books and such bought from the Dutch. It was too little too late, and the cash strapped Shogunate never finished upgrading the defenses because of complex economic and political reasons, but they weren't completely blindsided.

Commodore Perry's real innovation was realizing that to actually talk to the Shogun, you needed to bring tons of presents and also repeatedly demand to talk to the Shogun in person. Previous expeditions had failed because the Europeans had given the presents, then the Japanese Shogunate would delay and delay until eventually they got fed up and went home. Or that one time the Russians thought they opened up Japan because they had a letter from the Daimyo of Hakodate to trade in Nagasaki, but then arrived and found out the Daimyo had no such authority to send out such a letter and he only wrote it so the Russians would go away, and also they had about 10 minutes to leave before they'd open fire.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. The reason they modernized so quickly once they started is they saw what happened to China and freaked out about that happening to Japan. Which, fair enough.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Great Autismo! posted:

anyway I am queued up for a ban at some point from D&D so nice knowing you all when it actually happens. please turn my posts about my office moving in china into an NFT and send me some money for it

As enjoyable as I find your posts there, the D&D China thread isn't so bad now that there's a mod in there actively watching out for the genocide deniers/apologists.

It's the CSPAM ones that are full of 9/11 style Truthers. How can Chinese people be racist when they're not even white. Did the Uighurs even exist in the first place? Maybe their entire culture was created by CIA agents travelling back in time and Mighty Xi is fighting for the survival of the future of all humanity by genociding them. Did you ever think about that? No of course not, you only think about yourself, don't you Steve, you're not even my real dad.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Anyone have any decent details / commentary on the new data protection law announced in China?

The people I usually talk to about government stuff here don't give a poo poo about it, so I'm left wondering.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gdpr was extraterritorial inasmuch it messed w tech majors operating in europe and ccpa (the california law) was just really material cuz a huge proportion of software by value is made in california

but no american tech major operates significantly in china. and prc tech majors have continually had miserable experiences exporting their stuff basically with the sole large exception of douyin. and ofc the largest threat to prc peeps privacy is the govt (the largest threat to american peeps privacy too, lol) which has a basically total carveout for military and intelligence stuff

the strategic point of view is that these are gonna help large incumbents because the compliance just easily fits into a whole dedicated team better and theres always de factocarveouts for whats most important to the ad peeps. prc law is no exception on this front

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 22, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Don Gato posted:

Japanese elites also wasn't super surprised at how advanced the world was, the "closed off" period isnt nearly as closed as popularly imagined. Yes foreigners were confined to the Dutch at Dejima and yes no Japanese person could leave the country under pain of death if they returned, but Japan was buying massive amounts of technical, medical, artistic, and political books from the Dutch. It was an entire field of study known as Rangaku, or Western Learning. What they were surprised at was how bold the West was and how much further ahead their naval technology was than they had assumed, but by the time Commodore Perry had appeared the Shogunate had already begun spending massive amounts of money beginning to upgrade the coastal defenses to a modern standard using books and such bought from the Dutch. It was too little too late, and the cash strapped Shogunate never finished upgrading the defenses because of complex economic and political reasons, but they weren't completely blindsided.

Commodore Perry's real innovation was realizing that to actually talk to the Shogun, you needed to bring tons of presents and also repeatedly demand to talk to the Shogun in person. Previous expeditions had failed because the Europeans had given the presents, then the Japanese Shogunate would delay and delay until eventually they got fed up and went home. Or that one time the Russians thought they opened up Japan because they had a letter from the Daimyo of Hakodate to trade in Nagasaki, but then arrived and found out the Daimyo had no such authority to send out such a letter and he only wrote it so the Russians would go away, and also they had about 10 minutes to leave before they'd open fire.

I love this forum so much

Thanks to everyone who's educated me! :)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Don Gato posted:

It was an entire field of study known as Rangaku, or Western Learning.

Small thing but interestingly Rangaku 蘭学 is literally “Dutch Studies”, the 蘭 being the shorthand for Holland, from Holland (阿蘭陀) in kanji. Though it’s now typically rendered in katakana in modern Japanese.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

As enjoyable as I find your posts there, the D&D China thread isn't so bad now that there's a mod in there actively watching out for the genocide deniers/apologists.

hmmm. perhaps I should reflect on this for a bit. thx for ur feedback

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's the CSPAM ones that are full of 9/11 style Truthers. How can Chinese people be racist when they're not even white. Did the Uighurs even exist in the first place? Maybe their entire culture was created by CIA agents travelling back in time and Mighty Xi is fighting for the survival of the future of all humanity by genociding them. Did you ever think about that? No of course not, you only think about yourself, don't you Steve, you're not even my real dad.

Love to make up people to get mad at too

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

a fatguy baldspot posted:

there are multiple qcs threads to "free" a guy who has openly called the Uighur genocide cool

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Shumagorath posted:

there are multiple qcs threads to "free" a guy who has openly called the Uighur genocide cool

Word?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

You're the guy who said stalin was objectively a less bad person than obama followed by "and I'm not even a Stalin fan"

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

The funny thing is leftists didn't even bother pretending. Just straight up jumped on the genocide denial and damage control train at full speed. Wasn't just the forum with the mental health thread stickied at the top either. It was also quite a number of leftists I used to follow on social media. That was pretty eye opening to me.

Vorik fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Vorik posted:

The funny thing is leftists didn't even bother pretending. Just straight up jumped on the genocide denial and damage control train at full speed. Wasn't just the forum with the mental health thread stickied at the top either. Just leftists in general on social media. That was pretty eye opening to me.

But at least he's not a nazi like you who should go gently caress yourself

Why does all this nutterbutter come today?