Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They’re definitely different Predators if that’s what you mean. I think we’re supposed to infer some sort of distributed database: the 1987 Predator was live-streaming on Twitch, and the juvenile 1990 Predator was like an OnlyFans subscriber who copied his catchphrases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's almost 4:30m, I'm not feeling well and am in the shower trying to feel better with some hot water on my head. I've got candles lit because normal light is hurting my eyes. The only thing getting me through it is thinking about Aliens (the movie), but I doubt that Aliens (the movie) is thinking about me :(

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

edit: Is it canon that the Predator from 1 is the same in 2? Glover says "You are one ugly m...." and the Predator finishes it... "Mother fucker." So he'd have to know that from Arnold. Unless the Predators chat around the break room.

The one from the first one went up in a massive fireball, they aren't the same.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The 2 Predator has been hanging around LA all summer, of course he knows you can call people “motherfucker”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

It's almost 4:30m, I'm not feeling well and am in the shower trying to feel better with some hot water on my head. I've got candles lit because normal light is hurting my eyes. The only thing getting me through it is thinking about Aliens (the movie), but I doubt that Aliens (the movie) is thinking about me :(
Maybe you should think about the movie The Abyss

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Predators chat with each other on their wrist computers.

:pram:"Bruh this rear end in a top hat dropped a log on my head and I think I'm dying."

:thinkdorm:":lol: Activate your self destruct & yeet his rear end."

:pram:"This twerp is saying something too. Lemee put it on speaker…"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Torquemada posted:

They’re definitely different Predators if that’s what you mean. I think we’re supposed to infer some sort of distributed database: the 1987 Predator was live-streaming on Twitch, and the juvenile 1990 Predator was like an OnlyFans subscriber who copied his catchphrases.

I took it this way too. Like from the Predators' standpoint they just have this catalogue of duck calls they're constantly logging with their ship. Also:

skasion posted:

The 2 Predator has been hanging around LA all summer, of course he knows you can call people “motherfucker”

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

I won't buy the nerf gun because I don't know what I'd do with it besides put it up against my shelf in the computer room and that doesn't do it justice. One of the very few times I wish I had a kid. Plus I'd have to spend a lot of time painting it, which I'm imagining some of you will do.

Update... I'm watching Predator 2 right now. Conclusion: It's good. And Bill Paxton is in half the movie and as always, he steals the show.

Being awesome... It's my specialty!

edit: Is it canon that the Predator from 1 is the same in 2? Glover says "You are one ugly m...." and the Predator finishes it... "Mother fucker." So he'd have to know that from Arnold. Unless the Predators chat around the break room.

I bought one just to stash in the closet and forget about it until I die and my kids donate it to Goodwill.

:smith:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If they were smart they'd offer a bulk discount, like have a bunch of friends go in to order a dozen, etc.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I won't buy the nerf gun because I don't know what I'd do with it besides put it up against my shelf in the computer room and that doesn't do it justice. One of the very few times I wish I had a kid. Plus I'd have to spend a lot of time painting it, which I'm imagining some of you will do.

Update... I'm watching Predator 2 right now. Conclusion: It's good. And Bill Paxton is in half the movie and as always, he steals the show.

Being awesome... It's my specialty!

I have nerf battles with my roommate all the time, she gets mad at me because I'm a good shot with the dinky rear end pistol.

Also my cat likes to chase nerf darts, I wish she would bring them back.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AFewBricksShy posted:

The one from the first one went up in a massive fireball, they aren't the same.

Oh right. Gotta cut back on the late night whiskey.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I’m thinking about Aliens, and also about buying the toy Aliens gun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Beet Wagon posted:

I’m thinking about Aliens, and also about buying the toy Aliens gun.

Do it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The Predator just came on TV. I guess I'll watch that. :shrug:

edit: Just realized that Jake Busey is a Keyes, Gary Busey's son I could only imagine.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 19, 2021

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Aren’t we all Gary Busey’s children, really?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The commission of Child of Busey is the highest title of honor bestowed by Gary Busey. It is recognition of an individual’s noteworthy accomplishments and outstanding service to our community, state, and nation.

The Honorable Order of Children of Busey is a voluntary philanthropic organization.

A sitting Busey governor noted in a letter to the Children of Busey that he commissioned individuals as Children of Busey “as a Governor’s way of recognizing individuals for their service and accomplishments on behalf of others.”

If you’re a commissioned Child of Busey, you are a Child of Busey for life. We now encourage you to activate your membership in the Children of Busey by making a tax-deductible contribution to the Good Works Program.

Chilren of Busey may be entitled to discounted goods and services at some establishments.

Children of Busey are unwavering in devotion to faith, family, commonwealth, and country. Passionate about being compassionate. Proud leaders who are gentle but strong in will and commitment. The generosity of our members enables the Children of Busey – as a recognized 501 (c) (3) tax exempt nonprofit organization – to reach out and care for our children, support those in need, and preserve our rich heritage.

Then there are the social activities in which our history is indeed rich! From the Derby Eve galas of the 1930s to our trackside participation and post Derby Barbeques, and fall race days at historic Churchill Downs, the member Children have historically found many ways to celebrate the Children of Busey.

Source: I am a Child of Busey.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Thinking About Aliens (the movie) the Nerf gun

That's so ludicrous it almost loops back round to being good. But where's my smart gun, you tat peddlers?

Now Free League Publishing's writers have to work a Nonlethal Energy Rounds Firearm (NERF) weapon into the next Alien RPG module.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The alien nerf gun is also available now at Gamestop, it popped up on the Canadian site. The US should have it as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Now Free League Publishing's writers have to work a Nonlethal Energy Rounds Firearm (NERF) weapon into the next Alien RPG module.

It’s (mostly, I think?) only one writer, I’m friends with him on Facebook, and I will absolutely pitch this to him right now.

Edit— done

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

It’s (mostly, I think?) only one writer, I’m friends with him on Facebook, and I will absolutely pitch this to him right now.

Edit— done

gently caress yes amazing, thanks! :D

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I thought about Aliens today

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I would buy an Aliens Easter Egg

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Splicer posted:

They're pretty cool, the aliens inside are like army men. Makes me wish they made some Colonial Marines army men though

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Iron Crowned posted:

They're pretty cool, the aliens inside are like army men. Makes me wish they made some Colonial Marines army men though

I've seen a bunch of Colonial Marines minis for like tabletop gaming and such but yeah it would whip rear end to be able to buy a big bag of army men style ones on the cheap.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 22, 2021

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Splicer posted:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought about Aliens today

I thought this was a chocolate alien for a sec like a chocolate Easter bunny. I'd buy one and bite the head off of it for sure.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://twitter.com/NickyWhat/status/1420840951854125062?s=20

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thinking about Cabbages (the movie)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Thinking about Cabbages (the movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmydCmrUjSQ
You tell me that this isn't more horrific than what Giger came up with… :gonk:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Torquemada posted:

This reminds me of a little theory of mine that I've had for a while, that the predator in 2 was a youngblood and the LA hunt was his initation hunt. He's sloppy, predictable, loses equipment left and right, and a child gets the drop on him in broad daylight for crying out loud.

As for the motherfucker line, I figured it was spending too much time in LA and learning the language (or maybe he thought it was a greeting).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So we know there are Alien Queens. Who are the kings? Similar to ants where they die post nuptial flight? Or more like those deep sea fish where the male attaches to the female and atrophies to just testicles joined to her bloodstream?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

So we know there are Alien Queens. Who are the kings? Similar to ants where they die post nuptial flight? Or more like those deep sea fish where the male attaches to the female and atrophies to just testicles joined to her bloodstream?
The only one I know of is from the 1993 Aliens: Rogue Dark Horse comic. Honestly a really solid little story about a remote asteroid facility where the guy leading it gets to be a tinpot dictator who "disappears" anyone who goes against his bullshit and because they're so far out in space he can cover his tracks and get away with it. He's also running experiments on Aliens that are kind of vague and bullshit, they pull the "omg he's tamed Xenos!" stunt which was old hat even in the 90s, but I think it spins out pretty well as a good stock Aliens story-- Space Marines, Corporate Espionage, Capitalist Hellworld, and Xeno Hives.

Anyway his King is the result of experiments and such, but they name is as a King:

and it looks like there's some :krad: action figure/diorama thing they made of it:

The whole deal is that the tinpot dictator is trying to make some even more perfect Xeno he can control? Again pretty old hat:

The gimmick of course is that this Alien "King" is all aggro all the time:

Fast-Forward and he goes to fight the Queen on this rock:

buuuut he loses and the little dictator goes wacky and then blows it all up while the main characters escape on a ship. The End:

It's pretty base and vanilla, but honestly I like it way more than Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection, either AvP, The Predator, Prometheus/Covenant, or Gibson's Alien 3. Sometimes a pan-fried burger is just better than trying to advertise some gourmet or gimmick patty. 7.7/10 Cabbages.

Tangentially, I found a magical terrible 90s ad in the book:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm considering preordering a second nerf pulse rifle.

I wish I didn't have to wait an entire year :(

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm considering preordering a second nerf pulse rifle.

I wish I didn't have to wait an entire year :(

is this a real thing or are you making a joke?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

is this a real thing or are you making a joke?

Oh it's real alright

Sentinel Red posted:

Thinking About Aliens (the movie) the Nerf gun

That's so ludicrous it almost loops back round to being good. But where's my smart gun, you tat peddlers?

AFewBricksShy posted:

I wish I knew why I pre ordered it.

Oh, it has a digital round counter? That's why.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/nerf-lmtd-aliens-m41-a-blaster

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

I've thought about this way too much and I'd assume they don't need them. A queen ant's need to mate is driven by the need to maintain diversity in the lineage and foster a population that's more robust and adaptable to the environment in the long term, but what about an organism that borrows genetic diversity whole cloth from their hosts? A queen xeno would be born from a host which was already adapted to the host's particular environmental pressures, and each drone would inherit a modicum of that same necessary diversity from an established pool of individual hosts. Genetic diversity would be built into the colony by default because of their reliance on a provably successful population of genetically diverse hosts, which removes the need for seeking mating/diversification and relieves the evolutionary pressures on the xenos, resulting in them being immediately more efficient and adapted to their environment than any native host could ever be without taking the time to evolve. Xenos would get to jump the line and 'steal' adaptations that took eons to evolve. Who needs to mate when the gestation process of a queen provides the same benefit as mating does, but without all the waiting and inefficiencies of trial and error? Asexual front-loaded reproduction FTW. The queen's not even 'female', because such a role is unnecessary-- they're just the one that poops out eggs and then the host provides the genetic diversification regardless of their physical sex. Perfection.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh it's real alright

does it have an ammo counter?