Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

You should absolutely build up a minimal emergency fund as a priority over paying off debt, because without it your emergency plan is more debt.

I dug myself out of a similar sized hole over the last few years, and bought my first home this year. There’s hope, friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I could also spend a few months putting that extra $500 into a savings account, then when I have $1,000-1,500 for an emergency fund

This is the correct way to start. If you can't manage to keep an emergency fund everything else is going to fall down around you, especially if you have access to more credit.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Part of what attracts me to the consolidation thing is that it will get the Discover card to a zero balance so that I can put some recurring expenses on it so it stays active,

You are entirely too concerned about your credit score. Credit is how you got here. You shouldn't need it for anything for some time now, because you are not in a position to responsibly purchase anything of high enough value that you should need to finance it.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Really the attractive part of the idea was the idea that I could get the $8700 charge-off off of my report with a pay for delete, get my revolving credit usage to 0, and then hopefully that would bump up my credit score enough that I could in essence refinance the consolidation loan to a lower APR, like 10-15% or something. I have no idea if that would work out though.

These are things that are far off in the future. It's a fine idea to save up enough for an emergency fund, then enough more to settle the debt (maybe they'll give you a pay for delete, maybe not, but you need to be in a position to pay them RIGHT NOW when you make contact, so do not make contact until that is a thing). In the mean time you should be paying your minimum and saving, while working on your habits and budgeting consistently. And I'd argue that paying down the discover should be the next thing after the emergency fund. Along with telling dicsover that you want to continue to pay them but NOT be able to use the card. Because pay for delete, even if it works, will not be enough to get a decent consolidation loan when your utilization is still 110% of your active revolving credit accounts.

And the settlement offers for the amex debt will only get lower and lower as time goes on.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's a good point. I'll do that, then. Is freezing the card something that Discover will let me do? It's funny, I worked for Capital One in their credit card division eight years ago but I can't remember much of our policies at all, and most of the calls were just people wanting to pay over the phone or asking for over-limit fees to be removed. If it is, that's what I'll do.

I definitely want to pay off the Discover ASAP. When I had paid off that American Express before everything fell apart I felt so much better, even though I still had a $3500 car loan and a payment plan for a hospital bill at the time. I shoved the credit card in my sock drawer and every time I saw it, it reminded me of the stress I had been carrying for four years that I never wanted to deal with again. Then I went on FMLA leave, then got laid off, and here we are.

Part of why I'm concerned about my credit score is that, assuming my career goes the way I'm hoping, and assuming I don't end up in a cohabitating relationship again, I'd like to upgrade from a camper to a proper tiny house within 3-5 years, and the farther in the past my problems are the better terms I'll be able to get on one.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dross posted:

You should absolutely build up a minimal emergency fund as a priority over paying off debt, because without it your emergency plan is more debt.

I dug myself out of a similar sized hole over the last few years, and bought my first home this year. There’s hope, friend!

related, from /r/personalfinance (this supports your point)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You have to be out from under the mountain first. Once that happens your credit score will rebound. Until then your score is 0 for all intents and purposes.

Worry about the flow chart first, the score will come naturally.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Alright, that's the plan then. Tomorrow I call Discover and ask them to freeze my card, on the 31st I go to the bank and start a savings account, then I build up an emergency fund of 1 month's expenses, then I start throwing all my extra money at the Discover. Then in about a year when that's paid off, I start throwing more money at the unsecured loan, then once that's paid off I see about doing a pay for delete and build up a bigger emergency fund.

And either tonight or tomorrow I start an accountability thread and hope that it doesn't immediately turn into "Why do you have two cars?" (their total value is about $3k, I know their maintenance history, and I need two so I can drive one while I'm doing maintenance on the other)

E: One of my concerns about my credit score is that for some reason some companies run a credit check pre-employment. I don't know why, unless they're worried that I would be bribed in corporate espionage or something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Alright, that's the plan then. Tomorrow I call Discover and ask them to freeze my card,

Just make sure nothing weird happens. Tell them what is up and what you would like to do. Understand what they are telling you they can or can not do and make sure it's what you intend. I've never had a discover card, and I don't know what they can or can't do for you.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

then I build up an emergency fund of 1 month's expenses, then I start throwing all my extra money at the Discover.

I'd start doing 50/50 discover card emergency fund until you have 3 months of living expenses in there. A healthy emergency fund is how you end up not getting back into debt, which is worth more than the extra interest you will pay to Discover while building the other 2 months up.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: One of my concerns about my credit score is that for some reason some companies run a credit check pre-employment. I don't know why, unless they're worried that I would be bribed in corporate espionage or something?

These typically only matter if you're handling money or need a security clearance. Is this kind of thing typical in your industry?

And even if it is, again.....it doesn't matter. More debt is not going to solve that problem. Only discipline and time will. You need to keep digging. Up, not down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Alright, that's the plan then. Tomorrow I call Discover and ask them to freeze my card, on the 31st I go to the bank and start a savings account, then I build up an emergency fund of 1 month's expenses, then I start throwing all my extra money at the Discover. Then in about a year when that's paid off, I start throwing more money at the unsecured loan, then once that's paid off I see about doing a pay for delete and build up a bigger emergency fund.

And either tonight or tomorrow I start an accountability thread and hope that it doesn't immediately turn into "Why do you have two cars?" (their total value is about $3k, I know their maintenance history, and I need two so I can drive one while I'm doing maintenance on the other)

It's gonna turn in to "why do you have two cars" because you're dumping effort and money in to a Subaru SVX rather than in to your debts, but I think that discussion would be beneficial for you.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Gotta be open to feedback. Not going to lie, I just looked at your post history and I think budgeting is going to be a challenge for you. But that's okay, a lot of us have been in that same position.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you post it in AI the questions will be "why do you only have two cars?" Pick your audience.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Here's a question: My credit score has been stuck at 665 for years. I pay off everything, paid off my student loans, got no outstanding balances, never missed a payment on my credit card, no late payments on my report, zero debt anywhere, and nothing will make that stupid number go up (13 year credit history). I ran a simulator to see if opening another card would make it go up but it just tanks the score, if I continue to pay off my current bills regularly (according to the simulator) it won't even change or go up. How the hell am I supposed to make number go up? I've been on time and paid everything off and don't need any loans or anything, only have 1 credit card (Amex), but I'd like to buy a house in like 5 years. :ohdear:

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 23, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's gonna turn in to "why do you have two cars" because you're dumping effort and money in to a Subaru SVX rather than in to your debts, but I think that discussion would be beneficial for you.

Because hobbies keep people from going insane.

What actually matters is how much is being spent on it.

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Here's a question: My credit score has been stuck at 665 for years. I pay off everything, paid off my student loans, got no outstanding balances, never missed a payment on my credit card, no late payments on my report, zero debt anywhere, and nothing will make that stupid number go up (13 year credit history). I ran a simulator to see if opening another card would make it go up but it just tanks the score, if I continue to pay off my current bills regularly (according to the simulator) it won't even change or go up. How the hell am I supposed to make number go up? I've been on time and paid everything off and don't need any loans or anything, only have 1 credit card (Amex), but I'd like to buy a house in like 5 years. :ohdear:

If all you have a credit cards and student loans it won't.

And why do you care? This is a real question. Why doe your credit score matter to you? Are you looking to purchase a home in the near future or something?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Have you pulled a free credit report and checked that there isn't something on there you don't know about?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

Because hobbies keep people from going insane.

What actually matters is how much is being spent on it.

I agree but cars tend to not be particularly cheap hobbies, so the latter is an interesting question.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I can’t remember if it was CreditKarma or one of the free services included with one of my banks/credit cards, but I have seen a personalized report that tells you exactly what is positively and negatively impacting your credit score.

So as someone mentioned above, accuracy of your credit reports plus looking at one of those analyzers might help.

In general, having cards that are all not brand new and making your payments on time and having available credit (not maxing out your cards) should be all it takes to get to 750+

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dexter6 posted:

In general, having cards that are all not brand new and making your payments on time and having available credit (not maxing out your cards) should be all it takes to get to 750+

On the entirely useless VantageScore that is used by sites like CreditKarma who make their money pedaling credit card offers, sure.

But in reality for something like financing a car or a house you won't be anywhere near 750 with the models they typically use.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Motronic posted:

On the entirely useless VantageScore that is used by sites like CreditKarma who make their money pedaling credit card offers, sure.

But in reality for something like financing a car or a house you won't be anywhere near 750 with the models they typically use.
Can you expand on this? What would expect such a person's credit score to be and what would a 750 look like according to what you've seen?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Can you expand on this? What would expect such a person's credit score to be and what would a 750 look like according to what you've seen?

If you're being scored under a model used for financing a car or a house and you have nothing but credit cards your score is going to be in the 600s probably. Depends on length of history, etc. But this is why people get boned on their first car purchase.

Seems that having a mix of loan types helps with the model used for scoring mortgages.

This is all proprietary information (the models), and opaque on purpose, but it's what I and close friends have experienced at various times in our lives.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I agree but cars tend to not be particularly cheap hobbies, so the latter is an interesting question.

Up to this point too much (but probably still only $3500 or so including the car itself) but at this point unless the engine or transmission explodes all the big stuff has been bought/done, my only predictable expenses on it next month will be getting winter tires mounted and an alignment done, maybe a cheap stereo if it fits into the budget. Then I'll be saving up for the impending timing belt and water pump on my salvage title Impreza that I got so much heat for buying back in my last thread (although I think I phrased it poorly and people thought I was paying over $3,000 for it rather than $230).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Up to this point too much (but probably still only $3500 or so including the car itself) but at this point unless the engine or transmission explodes all the big stuff has been bought/done, my only predictable expenses on it next month will be getting winter tires mounted and an alignment done, maybe a cheap stereo if it fits into the budget. Then I'll be saving up for the impending timing belt and water pump on my salvage title Impreza that I got so much heat for buying back in my last thread (although I think I phrased it poorly and people thought I was paying over $3,000 for it rather than $230).

So you have $21,000 in debt, plus student loans, some of it is in collections, you have no emergency fund and spent 3,500 on a car you don't need that has largely unobtanium parts.

Time to sell the car and spend the money on fixing the cheap one so you have more reliable basic transportation.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

spwrozek posted:

Have you pulled a free credit report and checked that there isn't something on there you don't know about?

Holy poo poo, you were right - I ran a credit report, not just score, and there's a mystery debt for like $2k from a place I don't recognize that's been on there since 2019. :psyduck: I filed a dispute and emailed the collections place, since they never tried to contact me and I've never taken out a loan except for college. Never would've found out unless I pulled that report. Thanks, thread!

Follow-up question, if it truly IS an error, do I have to work to get my score back up, or is there a way to "recover" the lost points?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am not sure if I should pat myself on the back or cry a little at how terrible the situation is. I am not sure on your follow up question though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

let me put it in the cold light of day here: Assuming that your $500/mo clear number is real, that car has set you back seven months from being debt free. It represents a fully funded efund and 10% of your current debt burden.

anyway make a thread

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Holy poo poo, you were right - I ran a credit report, not just score, and there's a mystery debt for like $2k from a place I don't recognize that's been on there since 2019. :psyduck: I filed a dispute and emailed the collections place, since they never tried to contact me and I've never taken out a loan except for college. Never would've found out unless I pulled that report. Thanks, thread!

Follow-up question, if it truly IS an error, do I have to work to get my score back up, or is there a way to "recover" the lost points?
If it's removed from your credit report, it doesn't affect your score.

Also, credit score has no memory, it's a state function of what's currently on your credit report.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Motronic posted:

So you have $21,000 in debt, plus student loans, some of it is in collections, you have no emergency fund and spent 3,500 on a car you don't need that has largely unobtanium parts.

Time to sell the car and spend the money on fixing the cheap one so you have more reliable basic transportation.

I need two vehicles so that when I'm fixing one (or god forbid have to take it into the shop) I can still get to the auto parts / grocery store. There's no public transportation, no uber/lyft, no taxis, and I live miles away along a mountain highway from the nearest grocery store. Biking or walking to the store with the drivers we have here would be suicide.

Both cars are in safe driving condition right now, the timing belt / water pump thing was just that I know it's coming up on needing that within the next 6 months to a year so I should start saving up for that, I'm also trying to figure out if that's something that I feel comfortable DIY-ing, which would save about $1,000 - 1,500 but if I do it wrong there goes the engine.

I'm willing to not spend more money on the project car until I'm in a better position, but I'm not selling it for the $2,000-3,000 I might be able to get, I made a promise to the previous owner that I was going to fix it up and give it a good home, which is why she sold it to me for $250 rather than selling to to Carmax for $500. Setting the project aside is fine, getting rid of it altogether isn't.

I'll make a thread, but if "Sell the SVX" turns into that thread's version of "sell your shitcoins" I'm just going to abandon it and try to keep myself honest without it.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 23, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm willing to not spend more money on the project car until I'm in a better position, but I'm not selling it for the $2,000-3,000 I might be able to get, I made a promise to the previous owner that I was going to fix it up and give it a good home, which is why she sold it to me for $250 rather than selling to to Carmax for $500. Setting the project aside is fine, getting rid of it altogether isn't.

I'll make a thread, but if "Sell the SVX" turns into that thread's version of "sell your shitcoins" I'm just going to abandon it and try to keep myself honest without it.

You have your justifications at the ready (multiple, layered justifications that you've really dug your heels into), and your priorities are clear.

They are not the priorities you stated earlier in this thread. That's for you to come to terms with.

But nobody is likely to want to help you if you're not being honest with yourself and others.

Your whole "I don't want to start a thread because it's going to end up with <thing I don't want to do>" should tell you something.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The last thread I had yelled at me for a solid page or two for buying my wrecked Impreza back as a salvage title to rebuild it myself, and the end result of that was paying roughly $1,000 for a perfectly functional reliable car that I know the maintenance history of. I don't feel like "I won't spend any more money on x, but I'm not selling it" is that unreasonable of a stance to take.

E: I should say since I haven't already that this thing gives me a completely irrational amount of joy to drive or even see in my driveway, it's the realization of a dream I've had since I was 16 and reading car forums trying to decide what I wanted as my first car. There's a whole lot of emotional value there that probably doesn't make sense to other people, just like there was emotional value to buying back the Impreza and fixing it up myself.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 23, 2021

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

With the utmost respect and kindness, I ask "how is this working out for you right now?"

e: this is coming from a bfc success story--i made a thread when i was hopelessly addicted to Daily Fantasy Sports (gambling) and needed people to yell at me for two full pages before i stopped playing. now i'm married, debt free, and recently bought a car (old honda) with cash! i'm not sure exactly how emotionally beneficial it is for you to have that albatross of a car but i can tell you that it feels very good to be able to buy a similarly priced one in cash !!

Spokes fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 23, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The last thread I had yelled at me for a solid page or two for buying my wrecked Impreza back as a salvage title to rebuild it myself, and the end result of that was paying roughly $1,000 for a perfectly functional reliable car that I know the maintenance history of. I don't feel like "I won't spend any more money on x, but I'm not selling it" is that unreasonable of a stance to take.

E: I should say since I haven't already that this thing gives me a completely irrational amount of joy to drive or even see in my driveway, it's the realization of a dream I've had since I was 16 and reading car forums trying to decide what I wanted as my first car. There's a whole lot of emotional value there that probably doesn't make sense to other people, just like there was emotional value to buying back the Impreza and fixing it up myself.

I think it's okay as long as you're honest with yourself. That said, like I noted before, I took a quick look through your thread history (because I've been in your place) and I saw things like -

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got my Diamine sampler from Goulet today. The blue velvet leaked in transit and I don't know if I'll be able to get what remains into a pen with how little there is :negative:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I guess I'll order the Fresno then. Just probably ought to wait until next paycheck. I may have impulse-bought two vintage cashmere sweaters and a textbook on firearm design over the past couple days. :sweatdrop:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I ended up impulse-buying a Pringle cashmere sweater and a Neiman-Marcus one as well off of Ebay, both made in Scotland. I want to buy more but I should probably pace myself, I just loved the feel of that Pringle sweater so much that I jumped on one that looked to be in good condition for $45 shipped even if it is just a boring grey crew-neck with little texture.

BFC helped me get my head out of my rear end years ago when I was in massive debt, and we're going to ask you hard questions in an accountability thread, but it's all for the good. If keeping two cars makes sense and you can quantify it, that's your call, but you do need to write down everything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

to me there's emotional value in not having like two and a half years of income* in debt hanging over my head, and you've said yourself you felt better when you were paying off debt before.

*this is assuming you put every single dollar of your income above bare minimal expenses towards debts which is obviously unrealistic given the posts above

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 23, 2021

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Dik Hz posted:

If it's removed from your credit report, it doesn't affect your score.

Also, credit score has no memory, it's a state function of what's currently on your credit report.

Thanks for this, for some reason I thought it was a record/memory thing!

Motronic posted:

If all you have a credit cards and student loans it won't.

And why do you care? This is a real question. Why doe your credit score matter to you? Are you looking to purchase a home in the near future or something?

I missed this one, but I'd like to buy a house about 5 or 6 years down the line, and wanted to get a jump start on the whole good-credit thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I missed this one, but I'd like to buy a house about 5 or 6 years down the line, and wanted to get a jump start on the whole good-credit thing.

That is a very reasonable and achievable timeline score-wise, even given the unfortunate thing you've just found out about.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

e: whoops got some wires crossed

Dross fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 24, 2021

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Spokes posted:

With the utmost respect and kindness, I ask "how is this working out for you right now?"

e: this is coming from a bfc success story--i made a thread when i was hopelessly addicted to Daily Fantasy Sports (gambling) and needed people to yell at me for two full pages before i stopped playing. now i'm married, debt free, and recently bought a car (old honda) with cash! i'm not sure exactly how emotionally beneficial it is for you to have that albatross of a car but i can tell you that it feels very good to be able to buy a similarly priced one in cash !!

Basically that initial post I made was the first time I've even thought about trying since 2018. Summer 2018 to early this year was basically me Sideshow Bob stepping onto rake after rake. For a significant portion of the time even before the pandemic I didn't expect to be alive in two years so what was the point of going into the ground with a little less debt? Basically April-ish was the first time that I was relatively mentally healthy and I've been kind of living care free but now I've kind of adjusted and realized I need to get back on track. Part of it was realizing how much I was spending unnecessarily on stuff like Medullah quoted, I actually referenced that earlier I'm pretty sure mentioning spending $175 on clothes because it was getting cold and I didn't have any nice clothes for fall/winter/spring. I also probably need to cut back on the drinking, not because I'm spending too much on booze but because that $175 in clothes and $110 in textbook was all when I was drunk. I don't regret the textbook because it's a really limited run with no digital option and I've wanted it for over a year, but I need to exercise better impulse control in general.

And since I mentioned mental health I should probably preemptively say that yes, I'm seeing both a psychiatrist and therapist and getting the treatment I need.

I've made a budget, although I think I should increase the amount I have budgeted for pet expenses because I found out today my cat's heart murmur isn't getting any better so I should build up a surplus in that budget for... whatever comes next :smith: I'll make a thread tonight, and I just hope that people will drop the "sell your car" thing once I start making progress.

Dross posted:

Maintaining two specialty vehicles is also a cross purpose vs accruing down payment funds.

I think that's me you're thinking of, not him, unless I missed something. Also only one of them is a specialty vehicle, the other is a poverty-spec 1990s hatchback.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'll make a thread tonight, and I just hope that people will drop the "sell your car" thing once I start making progress.

You're still not getting it.

You just want to wait out "you shouldn't have another (project) car now" until your situation changes enough to potentially justify it. You will be called out on it. Because it's absolutely stupid and you're digging your heels in hard on that.

"So I have something to drive to the parts store" is not a good excuse. Because even if that's a valid concern a car with unobtanium parts is not the way to accomplish it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, the car would probably go for $2,000-3,000 right now and would take a while to do so, as not many people are going to want a car with no functioning key fob, poor parts availability, driver's side interior door lock that doesn't work, driver's side window switch for the passenger window doesn't work, and sound system that may as well not work.

Let's take that $2,000-$3,000 and find (in this car market) a car with known maintenance history, no drivability issues, AWD/4WD, and let's make sure to include the cost of an inspection so I know of any current issues. And it needs to take 215/60R16 tires so I can put the Hakka 9s I already have ready to go on the car, otherwise add a set of good snow tires onto the price because again, 10 feet of snow per year.

Once I get these tires installed, it's not going to be my project car, at least not in the common sense, it will be my primary winter car because a fresh suspension, limited slip differential, studded snows, low center of gravity, and new front and rear disks is going to be better than my Impreza.

I have the full maintenance history for all 82,000 miles of this car, I had an inspection done so I know all the issues it has, which at this point are pretty much just fluid leaks and the quality of life stuff I mentioned before, I have driven this thing 6-7 hours in a day multiple times. It sounds like you're thinking of this as an unreliable basket case, which at this point after having fixed the main problems that caused it to be $250, it really isn't. I pretty much DD it at this point, I've been making myself drive the Impreza so it doesn't sit too long without being driven.

I would like a thread because I feel like it would help me be accountable with my general spending, figuring out what my goals should be at what point, and encouragement when I actually make progress that I'm not going to get elsewhere without talking the ear off of one of my few friends. I would really hope that you all would see that being accountabilibuddies on a regular basis is going to do me more good overall than trying to badger me into selling my dream car. Sure, I spent thousands on this car prior to giving a poo poo again, and that was probably the wrong decision. I should have bought another Impreza or Legacy or something for the same money that I have in it now.

I will stop spending money on the SVX until all upcoming maintenance on the Impreza is done and I have the money in the car maintenance section of the budget, and even then only required work rather than upgrade work, but I'm not seeing a good argument for selling it. Unobtanium parts isn't really an issue unless it experiences a catastrophic failure, all of the common maintenance parts still exist and are easy to find.

I've been stranded carless before and it loving sucked even living in a city where I could get an uber/lyft or order instacart or doordash or walk to the corner store, none of those things exist here. I am a few miles outside a tiny town with minimal infrastructure where nature will kill you if you don't respect it. Maybe wanting two cars is irrational, I could probably prevail on one of my neighbors to help me if things get too rough, but it's a peace of mind issue on top of everything else I have listed. Just like I have tons of extra space heaters and blankets and stock up on nonperishable food and fill jugs of water before a snow storm even though I haven't lost power or heat before.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just like I have tons of extra space heaters and blankets and stock up on nonperishable food and fill jugs of water before a snow storm even though I haven't lost power or heat before.

Yeah, this is totally the same thing. And on the same scale of money they cost. /s

All I'm hearing are justifications. And bad ones.

You can bake this into your budget/assumptions all you want and that's fine, but you're still going to hear about it because you have no business having a second car like this. Your latest post took a new version of your justifications: sunk cost fallacy. Someone looking at this logically would see how they could return or otherwise sell the tires and figure out where other weirdos hang out on the internet that have and want to buy a thoroughly unpopular and mediocre "dream car".

Yes, that was meant to make you flighty about this. Because every post you've made about it reveals more and more completely irrational thinking.

You say you're getting therapy. Have you discussed this thing with them? What this car means to you and why? Because it's all really, really unhealthy sounding. It's not just a sunk cost, it's an ongoing money pit for someone who barely makes enough to live on well even if they're already debt free.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 24, 2021

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It seems like this comes down to you disagreeing with me on whether I need any second car, not just this particular second car, is that right? Because I don't think we're going to change each other's minds on that aspect. I'm simply not comfortable not having a backup car, the only time that happened in my life within a few months I was stranded when I did have car problems.

As far as the therapist thing? Yeah, I mentioned to him how I felt like I developed an unhealthy attachment to my cars, I forget the exact words but he said something along the lines of that it seemed strong but not necessarily unhealthy.

I'll put up a thread with the Financier budget I put together a couple nights ago. We'll see if specific numbers change the situation. If not, hopefully I can just be motivated by spite to succeed without BFC's support like SloMo managed to.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It seems like this comes down to you disagreeing with me on whether I need any second car, not just this particular second car, is that right?

No. Not at all. Why is this your takeaway?

Did this not explain it well enough:

Motronic posted:

"So I have something to drive to the parts store" is not a good excuse. Because even if that's a valid concern a car with unobtanium parts is not the way to accomplish it.

I don't care the maintenance parts are readily available. As an example, you have one bad day and break a door window and what's that gonna cost you? How long will it take to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

$65-125 and roughly a week, apparently? Glass being hard to find is a valid point because that's one of the most likely things to get broken that causes an immediate usability problem, but because of that whenever one gets scrapped or parted out the glass is always pulled and sold. Still less of a concern to me than finding a reliable AWD/4WD car for $2,000 in CO in this inflated market. I put a lot of value in knowing maintenance history and any current issues, I generally would not trust a car around that price range. I won't deny that buying a $3,500 regular car would probably have been better, but I can't go back in time and undo that decision, and with its current value I don't see myself being able to get anything better. Sure, if I wasn't concerned about weather issues an old Panther body would be a slam dunk, there's a lot of town cars getting retired from livery service that have been treated well and parts are a dime a dozen, but we get bad, bad snow up here and I do not want to learn how to drive a RWD car in the snow up here.

Thread up, against my better judgement.