Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

This is incredibly dumb in a way that I absolutely love.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

9 Chickweed Lane Cruel Little Stories

That's honestly really weak. Two more to go and they are pretty good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://youtu.be/-Zz30HFFNDI

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "210 - Jucika Is Reading"

"211 - Jucika Goes On Parade"

"'Éljen Május 1' roughly translates to 'Long Live May 1st'"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 5, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 5, 1999)

Garfield Classic (December 5, 1989)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Failed challenge (1935/17)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

gently caress the school, both students and faculty. Even now it's all too common that trans people are excluded from classes and other school activities because they "make other students nervous" (*) and their existence is too often used as a bludgeon by bigots and fundies who don't give a poo poo about trans people but use them to advance their hateful agenda. (gently caress the GOP. Just by the way.) This, by the way, hits too close to home, so I'm going to stop before it becomes a screed.

Well now let's be fair. When transpeople make cispeople nervous, it's not because cispeople think the transpeople are going to eat them.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I had a thing I wanted to say about Holbrook and realized it was too long and I guess it boils down to, it sucks that he thinks this was Good Enough to use as a jumping off metaphor point for the rest of the comic where Angelique is technically some kind of gender traitor who doesn't "commit" like Bruno does to it (she uses pheromones only, really) and wants to kill everyone she used to be in order to feed the capitalist beast. Also the fact that, like, this metaphor really doesn't map well because it feels way more transgenic than transgender because so far in K&K diets don't feel culturally gendered, but species have X Does Y Thing baked into them? I hate his metaphors and lack thereof.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

Well now let's be fair. When transpeople make cispeople nervous, it's not because cispeople think the transpeople are going to eat them.

Yeah, it's where the nature of K&K's Hellworld really fucks with attempted metaphors. Hell, the plotline ends with the transitioned herbivore being invited to still help his carnivore friends literally hunt other herbivores for sport.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hostile V posted:

I had a thing I wanted to say about Holbrook and realized it was too long and I guess it boils down to, it sucks that he thinks this was Good Enough to use as a jumping off metaphor point for the rest of the comic where Angelique is technically some kind of gender traitor who doesn't "commit" like Bruno does to it (she uses pheromones only, really) and wants to kill everyone she used to be in order to feed the capitalist beast. Also the fact that, like, this metaphor really doesn't map well because it feels way more transgenic than transgender because so far in K&K diets don't feel culturally gendered, but species have X Does Y Thing baked into them? I hate his metaphors and lack thereof.

I am pretty sure he's not trying to make Angelique a metaphor for much of anything. She's just much worse now that we've got this intended metaphor which overlaps with her deal.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm not saying it's the majority but don't make blanket assumptions about how stupid bigotry can get.

Joking aside, I'm not sure if I should appreciate Holbrook for understanding that Transgenderism wasn't a punchline in 2003 or stop trying to think out his metaphor car crash before it hurts.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hostile V posted:

Don't forget that later on they terrorize Angelique by putting her in a situation where she's detransitioned and this is presented as a good and heroic thing to do.

EDIT:
I actually found the storyline and they forcibly detransition her and then pretend to be predators out to eat her until a real predator breaks in and legit attempts to eat her. All to "teach her a lesson".

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 22, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh my god family circus you're at the grand canyon I loving GET IT

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I didn't mean to start a debate on WWII troop rations, sorry. I just thought it was an example of a less-than-heroic action taken by US military personnel in the war. It seems to me a farmer in France or whatever in the middle of the war losing a cow would have been a great hardship, despite whether the troops also needed the food but were not supplied it by the higher-ups due to negligence or incompetence.

F Minus

"Internet Signal"? Come on.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

gently caress around and find out, Wilbur.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:stare:

Rex Morgan MD

I assume he's going to invite Red, that homeless old high school friend/vet he helped.

Andertoons

I don't get it. Is there no Henry?

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

I kind of like seeing Flash in Brigman's style, but it's a boring strip.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

And just last week I was going to write a post about how I enjoyed Boondocks when it first ran but now it's weirdly dated and irrelevant...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alright Mary Worth, you're on thin ice but I want to see where this is going.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

That cat is going to scratch out one of Wilbur's eyes

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It feels like there is some sort of weird dynamite cat revenge story coming up and I am 100% on board.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Johnny Walker posted:

I didn't mean to start a debate on WWII troop rations, sorry. I just thought it was an example of a less-than-heroic action taken by US military personnel in the war. It seems to me a farmer in France or whatever in the middle of the war losing a cow would have been a great hardship, despite whether the troops also needed the food but were not supplied it by the higher-ups due to negligence or incompetence.

Hrm? It's ok. I use to do a lot of activities with WW2 vets in the early 2000's. I also bartended with French resistance/Free France Algerian Jew vet. The stories they told mostly revolved around being bored and finding something to eat because they were always hungry. Always. Like some of the guys could remember very specific meals even 60 years later because that's how important food was at the time.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Oh my God, watch your squirrely little children while you are at the Grand Canyon, there are so few guard rails.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Andertoons

I don't get it. Is there no Henry?

Modern parents mystified by the concept of kids "coming out and playing"?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

probably, which is such bullshit, at least where I am. Kids always out playing and loving around. Not every kid is glued to his cell phone but it wouldn't be funny otherwise, comic wise.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Sorry, no Crabgrass today.

Old School Peanuts (Dec 9, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 12-13, 1989)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doomykins posted:

"211 - Jucika Goes On Parade"

"'Éljen Május 1' roughly translates to 'Long Live May 1st'"

Did Liefeld draw her feet?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Selachian posted:

You all can't think of anything that happend in the last year or two that would make previously mundane social interactions noteworthy?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 12-13, 1989)

You have to flush the ice cubes, Calvin.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (August 25, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

The reviews are in! "A heartbreaking work of staggering genius which will be lucky to recoup its costs."

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Life (With Skippy) (August 20, 1925 (August 13th was the annual "parody of other magazines" issue; lots of illustrations, but not a good one for stand-alone cartoons. Also, no Skippy.))

Elsewhere in the issue:: One more by Crosby...

Two by Gus Mager...

And one from Carl Anderson.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 23, 2021

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Wait what happened with the necklace? Is there a strip missing here? There's no resolution to the previous story line.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: Lindesfarne, tree hugger (March 10-16, 2003)

Note that by the way it's portrayed in the original strip the intelligence beam, by all rights, should've also hit Tammy, not just Ray and the tree.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mikl posted:

Wait what happened with the necklace? Is there a strip missing here? There's no resolution to the previous story line.
I came back because I was informed in Discord that there was a strip missing from MW and :cripes:

Friday 1979 comics

As penance, have this ad with a super-penguin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse