Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Was looking for how they can excuse doing normal lunches in schools and found this article and holy lmao

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-kids-school-return-parents-questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Nodelphi posted:

Also the caution number where the nurse on the line will send someone to the ER and the threshold you need to meet to get admitted to the hospital are different and those goalposts move a bit depending on how full the hospital is.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Thoguh posted:

You don't have to do anything new and drastic to get almost everybody vaxxed, our system already has a bunch of situations where technically you aren't required to do something, but that you have to do if you want to participate in society in a meaningful way. Hell, just making being vaxxed a precondition to fly would go a long way.

Mandatory for certain activities (flying, major employers, etc.) + Paid incentives would get a large number vaccinated. I think the stick side is also fair for hospitals to deprioritize for treatment and as much as I hate them… for insurers to drop or massively increase cost of coverage.

I do think the people who imagine that if the military did try to administer it that there would be some sort of armed rebellion have too much faith in Americans to actually stand up to poo poo. We all saw Jan 6. The chuds might be able to do stupid poo poo as a mob. However, they are super disorganized and start back peddling at real consequences. They are armchair rebels. It’s cool to talk with you buds over your beers about how you’d fight the gubment, but they will absolutely fold.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The US already had forced vaccinations during the 1900s smallpox epidemic. Some places only fined you for refusal but in others police "virus squads" physically held you down while a medic injected you. One pastor said the vaccine might be more dangerous than smallpox. His was put on trial and his case escalated to the Supreme Court where he lost and the precedent still stands. There is absolutely no legal obstacle to forced vaccination other than proving the situation is sufficiently dire to warrant it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts

The actual practical obstacle is that most of our police and a substantial number of troops are insane chuds who would refuse to repeat the 1900s programs. Also, we haven't even tried voluntary door-to-door vaccination coupled with guaranteed paid time off.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Lawlicaust posted:

Mandatory for certain activities (flying, major employers, etc.) + Paid incentives would get a large number vaccinated. I think the stick side is also fair for hospitals to deprioritize for treatment and as much as I hate them… for insurers to drop or massively increase cost of coverage.

I do think the people who imagine that if the military did try to administer it that there would be some sort of armed rebellion have too much faith in Americans to actually stand up to poo poo. We all saw Jan 6. The chuds might be able to do stupid poo poo as a mob. However, they are super disorganized and start back peddling at real consequences. They are armchair rebels. It’s cool to talk with you buds over your beers about how you’d fight the gubment, but they will absolutely fold.

paid incentives + mandatory allowed paid leave for side effects would help alot for working poor and poc.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Shere posted:

It's the primary excuse, not reason, and the thing about excuses is that it's excuses all the way down.

These aren't people making a qualitative, informed decision based on a set of facts, it's people starting from a conclusion and letting cognitive dissonance fill in the gaps.

I posted about a friend who refuses to get vaccinated and it is this in his case. He was talking about ivermectin the other day. He's going to keep googling to justify his decision not to get the vaccine.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Both my parents got taken from school in buses to an airbase hangar and given the polio vaccine. They said nobody seemed to have a problem with it back then and my mom wondered why they don't just do this now. I told her because people will shoot at them if they even think it's going to happen.

the modern army's solution would be to rendition anyone with memory of the polio vaccine scheme to military bases, and then torture them until they believe in the benefits of public private partnerships.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

covidactnow.org

Maine, Washington, Alabama biggest changes I see

lamo at pa being a bastion

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

my favorite stupid thing is all these cops posting vague allusions to the storm is coming and cops are gonna hafta shoot people or w/e and at the same time they're all turning their lungs into swiss cheese because they refuse to get vaccinated.

truly, cops are the dumbest of us.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

i'm the thin blue line between order and chaos

*cough cough*

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Schnorkles posted:

likely not a bad reading. you want to take an o2 reading sort of randomly at rest, when you think about it you can consciously try to breathe and will raise your resting number

for reference, schnorkwife's mom was in the hospital recently because of a bad prescription reaction and their response to her o2 being low 90's was to shrug and send her home. I don't think this is normal in usual situations, but COVID is changing the calculus.

Low 90s sats aren’t physiologically taxing. The data for supplemental oxygen really only shows benefits for cutoffs of 88-89% depending on your underlying conditions. Shrugging at 93% has been a long running thing.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

let’s just hire some private military contractors to administer the vaccines, then they’ll just shoot everyone for being antivaxxers because it’s cheaper than actually vaccinating people and when people start running away when they come to town that’s proof that they are antivaxxers and deserved it

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

inferis posted:

let’s just hire some private military contractors to administer the vaccines, then they’ll just shoot everyone for being antivaxxers because it’s cheaper than actually vaccinating people and when people start running away when they come to town that’s proof that they are antivaxxers and deserved it
Instead of drop guns they'll plant tubes of ivermectin on dead bodies

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Thoguh posted:

I do think that the full FDA approval will lead to many more employers and schools deciding they can mandate the vaccine. And pretty much every case we've seen where the vaccine was mandated the number of people that actually quit or got fired vs getting jabs has been very small. So while I'm sure that the anti-vaxxers will move to another excuse, I do think that full approval is a major step.

I agree that it should just be approved, even if only for this reason. It's stupid that it's not approved, they couldn't possibly not approve it at this point.

I'm simply saying on an individual basis that anyone using the FDA as an excuse not to get the vaccine is full of poo poo for all the same reasons. If this leads to more localized mandates, great. The FDA approval in and of itself isn't going to convince any appreciable amount of holdouts to get it unless that happens.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Outdoor wedding, cough cough

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

inferis posted:

Nisour Square, but with vaccines

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

i would be very interested to know the percentage of those 9 that are asymptomatic or near-asymptomatic

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I think I just realized that I never thought about lentils as anything other than sprouts. Like I'm pretty sure I thought lentil soup would just be some clover looking things in some broth.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Schnorkles posted:

i would be very interested to know the percentage of those 9 that are asymptomatic or near-asymptomatic

added another screenshot. she herself is “very” symptomatic now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Both my parents got taken from school in buses to an airbase hangar and given the polio vaccine. They said nobody seemed to have a problem with it back then and my mom wondered why they don't just do this now. I told her because people will shoot at them if they even think it's going to happen.

They are lots of similar stories how the military went all over the USA / even after church services to make sure no town didn't get the Salk vaccine.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Schnorkles posted:

From personal experience my Texas patients who are sick sick have been 1 vaccinated with j and j (went home in good shape) and around 50 unvaccinated with 6 deaths in the past month. Seen breakthrough cases abound but mostly incidentals from preop testing.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Steve Yun posted:

Outdoor wedding. Likely with an indoor dinner and drinks the night before and brunch the day after.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Mr. Pizza posted:

is this 'bad cold' stuff a real thing or is it just covid? I have a family member trying to visit another family member in a nursing home. The visitor has 'been dealing with a cold for a couple days' featuring runny nose, a little sneezing and coughing last night. 'Probably a vapers cough.' 100% this morning but now they have a sinus headache.

grats on the rona, get a test

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Lovelyn posted:

so anyway, behold my beans/lentils

:eyepop:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lmao

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1429554084948975618?s=21

:chaostrump::chaostrump::chaostrump:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Pillowpants posted:

I’m SO mad.

My wife’s cousin/best friend is an idiot anti vax nut and so is most of that family. They went to a wedding last night, took a picture of them all flipping the finger at me and posted it on Facebook (tagging me and labeling it superspreader event)

mind you, they have a daughter in quarantine because someone at daycare tested positive.

Am I evil for hoping one of them gets a bad case of Covid but not bad enough to be hospitalized?

Why do they care what you think exactly?

And no, you aren’t. I’d be hoping they were all hospitalized or worse. lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kids are with their families you loving dork

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Spoondick posted:

get screenshots before it immediately goes sideways on them and the cowards delete it

yeah do this

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

deathbysnusnu posted:

From personal experience my Texas patients who are sick sick have been 1 vaccinated with j and j (went home in good shape) and around 50 unvaccinated with 6 deaths in the past month. Seen breakthrough cases abound but mostly incidentals from preop testing.

as we're in anecdotal experience land, how many young kids have you seen? (or are aware of if that doesn't directly correspond with what you do)

I'm mostly unworried about getting lethal illness. I'm terrified about passing COVID to my son while asymptomatic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

I'm mostly unworried about getting lethal illness. I'm terrified about passing COVID to my son while asymptomatic.

there ain’t much you can do to prevent this expect being in lockdown . delta kind of sucks

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Insanite posted:

latest death panel podcast feels simpatico with this thread:

https://twitter.com/DeathPanel_/status/1428462333655924741?s=20

lots of angry oster bashing, among other things

This is a great podcast. These people are on crack-ping number twenty seven, it sounds like. Very cspam, very covid thread approved.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

euphronius posted:

there ain’t much you can do to prevent this expect being in lockdown . delta kind of sucks

am mostly in lockdown tbh.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Lovelyn posted:

Me too! I e-mailed one of our reps and essentially stated that the best thing our union could do to keep its members safe is to not oppose the mandate. They responded SHOCKED and said I was the ONLY person who had e-mailed anything positive about the mandate, and they promised they won't fight it but rather would ensure people could take their PTO if they choose to leave. Good riddance, fuckers!

Good for you! The anti-vaxxers are loud and suck up a lot of attention. Their appeals about their rights being trampled by a rapacious employer seem like the kind of thing a union needs to fight at first glance, but the people who quietly got their vaccine voluntarily are members who deserve protection too, even if it's from their own irresponsible coworkers.

I understand the awkward position it puts union officers in, but sometimes what the employer suggests is actually the right course of action, and the union's course is to make sure it is handled fairly.

Take for instance a response like this:

Toronto Star posted:

While unions representing Toronto’s more than 37,000 municipal employees made no sign Thursday they would oppose the city’s vaccine mandate, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113, which represents about 12,000 TTC workers, was swift to condemn the move.

“Local 113 supports the right of every member of Local 113 to make their own informed decisions about their personal health matters, including vaccination. We oppose mandatory vaccination,” the local president Carlos Santos said in a statement to his members, which include thousands of bus operators whose jobs require close contact with the public.

Santos noted the TTC has yet to provide details of how the mandate will be implemented, and it’s unclear whether employees who refuse to get the shots will be offered alternatives like frequent testing, or what the consequences will be for those who don’t comply.

Some of these points are fair, but I really don't think a transit union president should be describing vaccination as a "personal health matter." How much of that is personal conviction and how much is a union official playing politics to appease his members is hard to say.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my wife has to teach in class and I have to go into offices so .. we wear out masks but kind of at the wim of others

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Schnorkles posted:

as we're in anecdotal experience land, how many young kids have you seen? (or are aware of if that doesn't directly correspond with what you do)

No pediatrics in my field so no anecdotes there. I’m a hospitalist so I’m seeing inpatient adults and my work is mostly the covid mines right now. Adult deaths got me spooked on a personal level. Delta is ripping through 30 year olds I’m seeing faster than alpha went through 80 year olds.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pizza posted:

is this 'bad cold' stuff a real thing or is it just covid? I have a family member trying to visit another family member in a nursing home. The visitor has 'been dealing with a cold for a couple days' featuring runny nose, a little sneezing and coughing last night. 'Probably a vapers cough.' 100% this morning but now they have a sinus headache.

ask the one who wants to visit why they literally want to kill the person they are visiting and do not love or care about them. it is a real and valid question

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

okay we all now know why nate silver couldnt handle physics 101

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stevie Lee posted:

you can only lmao so much death and misery away.

false. watch this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Ruggan posted:

Why do they care what you think exactly?

And no, you aren’t. I’d be hoping they were all hospitalized or worse. lol

because they’re like ignorant schoolyard bullies who found Q