Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I think the big issue with QWTF, outside of getting the appropriate permissions (probably not difficult tbh) would be cramming all the necessary keybinds onto a gamepad. Remember, the official addon stuff is primarily targeted at letting console players play mods, and QWTF doesn't have all the nice menus that TF2 has!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Quake doesn’t need the original Doom chainsaw, it needs the Doom 4/5 chainsaw

Sometimes you just gotta delete someone

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Turok and Goldeneye did a few things first that people seem to never talk about because they were console fps.

I feel like that about a bunch of Mac shooters. There was an FPS in 1994 called Sensory Overload that had, among other features,

-Offhand grenades and melee
-Nonlinear level progression with hubs
-Sloped surfaces and polygonal props
-Doom 3-style interactive panels

Wild poo poo for the era, but it's never brought up because mid-90s Mac gaming is a largely overlooked epoch

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm developing an itch for some 3WCTF.

Just gotta bind +hook and I'm ready.

Some rune Quake would be nice, too. Don't bogart my shubhat!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
In Quake Misson Pack 1, are these robo scorpions supposed to be so weird and glitchy? Is this some early Quake engine expansion jank?

Also these proxy mines suck. It doesn't matter much though cos the maps seem pretty cool and inventive so far

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Turok I think. Doesn’t beat Goldeneye by more than a few months though.

Dinosaur Hunter didn't have it but Turok 2 did.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Shoehead posted:

In Quake Misson Pack 1, are these robo scorpions supposed to be so weird and glitchy? Is this some early Quake engine expansion jank?

Also these proxy mines suck. It doesn't matter much though cos the maps seem pretty cool and inventive so far

They're Skaarj-orpions, they're juking you're projectiles.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Samopsa posted:

why would you ever use the chainsaw in doom though

The chainsaw is really good for killing pinkies while saving ammo.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

Cacos, pain elementals, and lost souls in choke points, too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Also it’s a chainsaw so you don’t need an excuse to use it.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

All you Quake newbies shouldn't sleep on Arcane Dimensions once you have finished the included campaigns.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

ZShakespeare posted:

it's unreliable, sometimes the pinkies get an attack off, punching and moving back and forward is more effective if you've grabbed berserk somewhere in the map (which is most of the maps)

A.o.D. posted:

lost souls and cacos can still hit you when you chainsaw them, pain elementals are fine but only because they wont spawn any lost souls if you're up in their face.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

All you Quake newbies shouldn't sleep on Arcane Dimensions once you have finished the included campaigns.

I'd be more enthused by quake mods if the base enemy roster wasn't so mehhhhhhh

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
AD adds like twenty new flavors of enemy

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I thought the whole point of arcane dimensions was to be to quake what doom 2 was to doom in terms of enemy variety for map makers.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

A.o.D. posted:

But fists are better and more fun in every scenario and you can actually use them against the rest of the roster

the chainsaw is the only worthless bit of the arsenal. at least the pistol can be used to shoot switches

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So can this new version of Quake run mods? Like can I toss Quake 1.5 in there?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Boxing matches with pinkies are one of Doom’s greatest pleasures

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So can this new version of Quake run mods? Like can I toss Quake 1.5 in there?

Maybe but ppl have reported arcane Dimensions maps can crash it. there's no real reason to use this instead of an existing source port.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1429535825503547396?s=19

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The new Death Wish version will probably only be finished in 2022 at the earliest, but it looks like it'll be something nice:
https://twitter.com/BloodDeathWish/status/1429209823682367497

drrockso20 posted:

They should do an add-on that puts all of the expansion weapons and enemies into the main game and the two Machine Games expansions as well(plus into each other as well)
I'm surprised that the new episode only uses base-game enemies. The mission packs are part of the package, after all.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

drrockso20 posted:

Some people talk about Quake 1 not having a proper BFG equivalent, but I'd say what it's really missing from its arsenal is a Chainsaw equivalent(which is especially ironic considering one of the most common enemies in the game always has one)

Yeah, there’s a reason Zerstorer added one, and why it’s periodically lifted for new mods and map packs even now. Any word on whether that mod’s getting added to the officially approved list? Part of me wants to buy the Quake remaster just to feed it the Quantum Axcess TCs and see what it does.

And yes, single player Unreal was what I hope retro shooters start aspiring to. Sprawling levels, strikingly pretty art direction within conscious restraints, MOD tracker music, and eclectic weapons would be swell. Maybe improve the storytelling discipline a smidge, though? Felt like the game very literally lost the plot halfway through, then tied it all up with a “hee hee, you have become the prisoner again after all that work” blob of irony.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 23, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

victrix posted:

I'd be more enthused by quake mods if the base enemy roster wasn't so mehhhhhhh

Yeah I'd love to get voxel versions of the doom enemies in quake

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Speaking of Deathwish: Where the gently caress is my drat Bloom (Blood and Doom crossover)!

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Are the Turok remasters worth checking out if I'd be playing them for the first time without the benefit of nostalgia?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Stockwell posted:

Are the Turok remasters worth checking out if I'd be playing them for the first time without the benefit of nostalgia?

I’d never played Turok and found the remaster to be very old-fashioned but fun, and the sequel is reportedly much better. You could have a good time!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stockwell posted:

I think so but I’d recommend playing the first one. It’s better and the second one can be a little confusing to navigate.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Are there hot keys for selecting the new weapons in the Quake DLC levels?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quake can be so drat pretty (I don't mean the base game, just that it has the capability in engine to do so) that it remains baffling how ugly Quake 2 is when they had already done Quake 1.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Even base Quake has a really nice aesthetic IMO. The first brown game did it best.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Glagha posted:

Are there hot keys for selecting the new weapons in the Quake DLC levels?

The proximity laucher shares a hotkey with the grenade launcher (press twice like in HL), the plasma rifle and hammer are impulse 225 and impulse 226 respectively

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Even base Quake has a really nice aesthetic IMO. The first brown game did it best.

Yeah there are some real good looking areas in the first game, I didn't mean to come across that they're all ugly, its just there are some real limitations. There has been a single room so far in Q2 that looks cool, and its entirely transitory (the pyramid).

Also having played it now Half-Life is 100% people looking at Quake 2 and going "ok, heres what this was trying to be"

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What if Death Wish 2022 turns out to be a teaser for New Blood's Blood 3 :shepface:

I played some of the CULTIC demo as it was promoted on Realms Deep and it was kind of interesting, not sure what to really make of it. It looked to be imitating some of Blood's aesthetic (Brown/blue/grey palette, sawn-offs and dynamite with, well, a cult) but the gameplay feels a lot less action-y despite having things like sliding, kicking and slow motion on headshots. I'm not sure whether I was playing it with the wrong mindset but I tried the demo on Hard and it seemed that for all the action mechanics it doesn't really want to be played fast and loose. I didn't have a bad time but it definitely is more Blood in style rather than soul.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Barudak posted:

Yeah there are some real good looking areas in the first game, I didn't mean to come across that they're all ugly, its just there are some real limitations. There has been a single room so far in Q2 that looks cool, and its entirely transitory (the pyramid).

Also having played it now Half-Life is 100% people looking at Quake 2 and going "ok, heres what this was trying to be"

Hell yeah, Gordon is Quakin'.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
cleared Quake's campaign for the first time in nightmare mode, and all i got was a lousy achievement and a 50 hp cap.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
anyway i once saw a dude in college with a baseball cap that had the quake logo. that guy ruled and i never even learned who he was.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Samopsa posted:

it's unreliable, sometimes the pinkies get an attack off, punching and moving back and forward is more effective if you've grabbed berserk somewhere in the map (which is most of the maps)

lost souls and cacos can still hit you when you chainsaw them, pain elementals are fine but only because they wont spawn any lost souls if you're up in their face.

The only way a lost soul should be able to hit you while getting chainsawed is on nightmare as they have a 100% pain chance. Cacos and Pain Elementals have a 50% chance, making them safeish to chainsaw on non-nightmare difficulties.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay now that i'm getting into it, has anyone else noticed a super inconsistent autoaim when using a controller that attempts to snap to enemies at random

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

Boxing matches with pinkies are one of Doom’s greatest pleasures

Screw that, real Slayers box skeletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

site posted:

okay now that i'm getting into it, has anyone else noticed a super inconsistent autoaim when using a controller that attempts to snap to enemies at random

Definitely. When stuff gets in your face and is hopping around in particular the autoaim feels way too strong, turned me almost 90 degrees at one point.

Unrelated, earlier I finished episode 3 on hard. It was painful, it took forever to get the rocket launcher, I was perpetually out of nails and had to kill nearly everything with the SSG or Axe. It's really not the Doom 2 SSG at all.