Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Biden intentionally exectured the Afghanistan withdrawal in a way to make everyone forget about the failure of the saber rattling around Cuba. Prove me wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This opinion piece came out in the Miami Herald today:
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/andres-oppenheimer/article253645023.html#storylink=rss

quote:

I predict that President Biden’s ill-fated withdrawal from Afghanistan will force his administration to project an image of strength and to harden his line against anti-American regimes around the world, including Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua.

Granted, that’s against the conventional wisdom. Most critics say that Biden’s badly executed withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan has conveyed an image of America’s weakness that will embolden U.S. adversaries, including China, Russia and their allies in Latin America.

John Bolton, former national security adviser in the Trump administration, told me that in a recent interview, saying Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua and their allies “will take heart” from the U.S. blunder in Afghanistan.

“They will believe they have greater freedom of action, certainly greater freedom of action within their own countries, against their own people,” because of America’s perceived weakness, Bolton told me. “And I think other regimes in the Western Hemisphere — I’m thinking of Peru, in particular, now — may draw the same lesson.”

Bolton, who unsuccessfully tried to convince President Trump not to call for a total withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan, admitted that the military departure from that country was a “Biden-Trump” fiasco. Trump had called for a total exit of U.S. troops by May 1 of this year and had made a bad deal with the Taliban in 2020.

Several Venezuelan and Cuban opposition leaders I talked to in recent days disagree with the notion that the Afghanistan debacle will embolden America’s enemies. On the contrary, they said, this may force Biden to step up sanctions against Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua, and perhaps even other countries, to counter criticism that he’s a weak leader.

Some U.S. foreign policy experts agree.

“Biden is viewed as weak right now, and he knows it,” Seth G. Jones, a foreign policy expert with the center-right Center of Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), told me. “In particular, he is very worried about being seen as weak with China, but that could also extend to Latin America.”

Indeed, I find it hard to believe that Biden would want to re-engage with Cuba in the post-Afghanistan world — and in the aftermath of the July 11 massive protests on the island.

In March, 80 Democrats in the U.S. House sent a letter asking Biden to repeal what they called “cruel” U.S. sanctions on Cuba and to seek a “more constructive approach” with the island. That wasn’t likely to happen anyway, and is much less likely to happen now.

In fact, Biden is already hardening U.S. sanctions on Cuba. On Aug. 19, the Biden administration announced another round of measures to freeze the assets and impose travel bans on three additional Cuban officials involved in human-rights abuses. On Aug. 9, The New York Times wrote that Biden “has been tougher than Donald Trump on the island’s government.”

On Venezuela, I don’t expect Biden to relax U.S. sanctions on Nicolas Maduro’s dictatorship ahead of a new round of negotiations between the regime and the opposition in Mexico, scheduled for Sept. 3. On the contrary, Biden is likely to impose new, targeted sanctions on Venezuelan officials as a way to step up the pressure on the regime ahead of the new round of talks, someone close to the Venezuelan opposition’s negotiating team told me.

We probably won’t see Biden embark on any major policy offensive in Latin America in coming days, because — judging from what I hear from U.S. officials — much of the State Department’s personnel has been diverted to processing visas for the tens of thousands of Afghans who worked for U.S. troops, and who now are trying to flee the country.

But in a few weeks or months, after the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan is complete, criticism of Biden’s handling of this crisis will probably not have subsided. And that is likely to make Biden more eager to flex his muscles everywhere else, including in Latin America.

Don’t miss the “Oppenheimer Presenta” TV show on Sundays at 8 pm E.T. on CNN en Español. Twitter: @oppenheimera

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it is necessary for the us to find a new quagmire to distract from the previous quagmire

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

If you're not throwing trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of lives into a hole in the ground for absolutely no benefit to anyone except contractors, are you even a super power?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the military budget is still going up so we don’t even need to do that anymore

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/WHAAsstSecty/status/1429206261191610377?s=20

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
They scanned Añez's brain, its full of worms :(

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Terminal lib brain as an actual pathology honestly seems like one of the easier ways to explain why you would launch a coup only to cede to the will of the people and not even think to flee the country

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think she did start to flee just like way to late for it to work?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

She hadn't even left her hometown. Probably though "God will protect me" or some stupid poo poo like that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Doubt the Yanks did much to help her escape either. Absolutely no benefit to them after she failed to crush the people and was an absolute nobody before the coup, so no friends.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1429308330808279041?s=19

HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

does the Cuban boxer get Pacquiao's Senate seat?

I don't know how boxing works

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

allahu capybar(a)

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Thankfully a french doctor invented a comprehensive treatment for people like her, it was even named after him

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

wait what i thought pacquiao retired from man punching and was politicking full time now?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

yellowcar posted:

wait what i thought pacquiao retired from man punching and was politicking full time now?

He's had something like five title fights while being a member of Congress lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Atrocious Joe posted:

does the Cuban boxer get Pacquiao's Senate seat?

I don't know how boxing works

Yeah actually Cuba annexes the Philippines now

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

He's had something like five title fights while being a member of Congress lmao

lol that owns

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/drogon_dracarys/status/1429443326793629703

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Claims to be Catholic. Attempts a cardinal sin anyway.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

American jails usually have a room where prisoners are taken to keep from killing themselves like the warden in Shawshank Redemption, and then there are these things

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2013/02/01/prison-suicide-safety-smocks/

so it seems disingenuous to bring this up like it's a consequence of how she's being treated

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

did they take Anez's mental state into account when they charged her with genocide?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm the male model in that pic

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
a spokesman at the julian assange center for responsible detention called on the Bolivian government to ensure prompt and proper care for all prisoners, including Anez...

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Centrist Committee posted:

a spokesman at the julian assange center for responsible detention called on the Bolivian government to ensure prompt and proper care for all prisoners, including Anez...

Extremely on brand

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1429964640432295946?s=20

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Claims to be Catholic. Attempts a cardinal sin anyway.

To be fair there's nothing more Catholic than that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

owns

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol they're still doing it

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1430156807889203208?s=20

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I wish I could tell my boss 'the commies are microwaving my brain' in order to take the day off

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anomalous Health Incident is the chapter when Half-Life really gets going

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

counterpoint: why is she living like a queen and not being paraded through the streets with that one nun from game of thrones doing the shame bell

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Junkozeyne posted:

I wish I could tell my boss 'the commies are microwaving my brain' in order to take the day off

You're posting in C-SPAM, you have a better argument than they do

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/_TertiumQuid/status/1428903924715724808

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/edburmila/status/1430397010948075526
I was linked to an interesting paper from this thread https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0141076819877553

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/GraffitiRadical/status/1430541217889079300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy