Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tracking every case in Melbourne is getting a bit complicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since the Israel data showed the infection rate dropped in all groups that got a 3rd shot, maybe CDC should just lie and say a 3rd shot prevents transmission to sell people on getting the booster

Oh wait they already lied and said the 2-dose series prevents transmission

That's a shame

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

i am harry posted:

when I was a kid and an apprentice in I did a tattoo in exchange for a 5lb tank of nitrous it was an awesome few weeks

In Saigon there's a "walking street" that's packed to the brim until 4am or later with people drinking and doing huge nitrous balloons while bunches of street vendors come by with all manner of snacks and wares. It rules.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Pillowpants posted:

I’m SO mad.

My wife’s cousin/best friend is an idiot anti vax nut and so is most of that family. They went to a wedding last night, took a picture of them all flipping the finger at me and posted it on Facebook (tagging me and labeling it superspreader event)

mind you, they have a daughter in quarantine because someone at daycare tested positive.

Am I evil for hoping one of them gets a bad case of Covid but not bad enough to be hospitalized?

Time to unfriend people so they can't tag you in their petty games.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Salt Fish posted:

Nate Silver looked into it and realized that other successful drugs are all made from carbon with a statistical distribution of nitrogen, hydrogen, and oxygen. If only these idiot chemists would learn a little bit of baseball statistics they could have saved time by skipping right to the most likely combinations of atoms instead of brute forcing every combination of rhubidium, praseodymium and aluminum or whatever.

i know you're being silly but fwiw:

There's lots of data pipelines that use a combination of things to explore possible compounds based on things that we already know do x.

they take huge teams years to build and are hilariously brittle because the insane computational chemist who is brilliant enough to actually figure out some of the necessary chemistry hides it multiple layers of perl shellscripts deep

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

a helpful bear posted:

Was looking for how they can excuse doing normal lunches in schools and found this article and holy lmao

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-kids-school-return-parents-questions

LOL my kids are at fully masked schools "with low transmission" for the last three weeks and I'm currently sitting in an urgent care waiting for one of their rapid test results

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Schnorkles posted:

i know you're being silly but fwiw:

There's lots of data pipelines that use a combination of things to explore possible compounds based on things that we already know do x.

they take huge teams years to build and are hilariously brittle because the insane computational chemist who is brilliant enough to actually figure out some of the necessary chemistry hides it multiple layers of perl shellscripts deep

i took a class in computational chemistry and the biggest hurdle was dealing with the absolutely ridiculous software that they use. Make a gui guys, come on.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The GOP really do trot out the same loving talking points every time. I bet they’ll also be saying how the people going door to door are actually illegal immigrant MS13 members scoping out your house so they can rob you later.

COVID cannot kill these people fast enough.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Casey Finnigan posted:

i took a class in computational chemistry and the biggest hurdle was dealing with the absolutely ridiculous software that they use. Make a gui guys, come on.

most comp chem stuff is libraries (rdkit, etc.) + a whole lot bespoke stuff.

front-end often more expensive than was desired in biochemistry companies, though that's changing dramatically as data pipelines start to rule the early stage drug discovery process.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

yeah i dont buy that lol

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

9/11 per day by 9/11 challenge

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Gio posted:

yeah i dont buy that lol

its perfectly reasonable and the data seems sound but the kind of key here is that just because you're less likely to spread doesn't mean you aren't going to, especially if you undertake dangerous behaviors over and over again.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

I mean everyone is just furiously quoting contradictory pre-prints at each other right now anyways

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Nevertheless, infectious virus was found in 68.6% of breakthrough infections and Ct-values decreased throughout the first 3 days of illness.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

70% of the poison control center calls in mississippi right now are people who ate horse dewormer

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gio posted:

yeah i dont buy that lol

I mean, there's nothing wrong with the data, it just doesn't really lead to any actionable conclusions. The bottom line is that you can still catch it, still transmit it to other people, and still potentially get pretty sick. The data does not in any way suggest that you should go take a dive into a pool full of COVID, which is what pretty much everyone is doing right now.

People on Twitter keep posting these takes because their mind is locked into the idea that they're fighting a war against anti-vaxxers when anti-vaxxers would only really be a problem if we actually gave enough of a poo poo about this virus to actually try to stop the spread. We don't, so true herd immunity is a pipe dream anyway.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

love to lmao about chuds dying just like the former director of the cia

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Like we're so stupid as a society that anti-vax sentiment is only moderately more disconcerting than the behavior of people who are actually vaccinated, and it's way less worrying than our government's complete unwillingness to do anything at all.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Paradoxish posted:

Like we're so stupid as a society that anti-vax sentiment is only moderately more disconcerting than the behavior of people who are actually vaccinated, and it's way less than worrying than our government's for our complete unwillingness to do anything at all.

*clears throat* Open.. biden?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Turns out we actually do live in a libertarian paradise

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, there's nothing wrong with the data, it just doesn't really lead to any actionable conclusions. The bottom line is that you can still catch it, still transmit it to other people, and still potentially get pretty sick. The data does not in any way suggest that you should go take a dive into a pool full of COVID, which is what pretty much everyone is doing right now.

People on Twitter keep posting these takes because their mind is locked into the idea that they're fighting a war against anti-vaxxers when anti-vaxxers would only really be a problem if we actually gave enough of a poo poo about this virus to actually try to stop the spread. We don't, so true herd immunity is a pipe dream anyway.

Beyond that even if we did get herd immunity that’s in an abstract concept over a geographic distribution the virus gives no shits about. At some point we’re gonna get our assholes turned inside out by a variant delta contagious with an immune escape mechanism from the other 8 billion people on earth.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lmao "sure the short total lockdown worked great last time and actually didn't really hurt businesses that much at all, but this time it could be different and businesses are really suffering! Open Jacinda!"

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Blackhawk posted:

Lmao "sure the short total lockdown worked great last time and actually didn't really hurt businesses that much at all, but this time it could be different and businesses are really suffering! Open Jacinda!"

I hope you guys don't jump off the same cliff the rest of the English-speaking world is diving off of

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Was anti-vax a thing before Jenny McCarthy started pushing her bullshit.
I think she should be forced to drink the covid can on live tv for her crimes against humanity.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

deathbysnusnu posted:

Beyond that even if we did get herd immunity that’s in an abstract concept over a geographic distribution the virus gives no shits about. At some point we’re gonna get our assholes turned inside out by a variant delta contagious with an immune escape mechanism from the other 8 billion people on earth.

Yeah. One of the many amusing things about our current situation is our obsession with vaccination numbers while simultaneously withholding effective vaccines from the rest of the world and leaving our borders wide open. A very big brain strategy.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

External Organs posted:

Turns out we actually do live in a libertarian paradise

always have

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

apatheticman posted:

I read Nate Silver's twitter and I now understand bullying.

I know right?

I was that dude when I was 16, and i know he needs a swirlie

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

70% of the poison control center calls in mississippi right now are people who ate horse dewormer

Why don't these people ask Facebook what to do?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah. One of the many amusing things about our current situation is our obsession with vaccination numbers while simultaneously withholding effective vaccines from the rest of the world and leaving our borders wide open. A very big brain strategy.

Also how the US has inspiring waste of what was manufactured.

Georgia threw out 600k doses this month, another 800k will be past their shelf life by November if not used.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gio posted:

yeah i dont buy that lol

Well as somebody else already pointed out even if they are right then vaccinated people are still quite infectious. Just that they might be slightly less so than the unvaxxed.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bone Crimes posted:

lol that there are advocates for vaccination for all at gunpoint by the military in the US, and yet that some are justified in having anti-vaxx views. Like what do you think would happen if the Army pulls up to Trump City USA, or even literal Tuskegee and starts to try to vaccinate at gunpoint.

Nothing, 95% of those folks are just blowhard cowards used to posturing to get their way

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zeriel posted:

I think she should be forced to drink the covid can on live tv for her crimes against humanity.

I'm pretty sure it was started by a company that had stock in individual vaccines for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella attempting to discredit the combo MMR vax

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Zeriel posted:

Andrew Wakefield is the one that should really be mobbed and strung up from a lamppost.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Schnorkles posted:

its perfectly reasonable and the data seems sound but the kind of key here is that just because you're less likely to spread doesn't mean you aren't going to, especially if you undertake dangerous behaviors over and over again.

bang.

60% chance rolled ten times is not significantly* different from 80% rolled ten times.

* gently caress you

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Zeriel posted:

There have been anti-vaxxers since Jenner started innoculating against smallpox in 1796.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Zeriel posted:

I think she brought them more mainstream but it was kind of brewing around for a while on the west coast. I had a kid get whooping cough at a summer camp I worked at in 2002, so it was there but fringe.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Zeriel posted:

There’s always been anti science people just like there have always been racists. People like Jenny and 75% of the GOP have just helped them amplify their messages recently.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Vaccines were a convenient bogeyman for rich white ladies with autistic kids that couldn't stand the thought of a fault in their own DNA.

Zisky fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hillary 2024 posted:

There have been anti-vaxxers since Jenner started innoculating against smallpox in 1796.

yes...but let's examine the case of Andrew Wakefield, who may now have more blood on his hands than he had counted on.