Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Accessibility", when it comes to minerals, is not a straightforward thing. The planet's crust is a dynamic system. There are unquestionably mineral deposits that are currently not economically feasible to access, but which will become so in the future, via uplift and erosion. There are others which will become inaccessible via subduction, burying by marine deposits, etc. The type of mineral we're talking about matters; igneous-plutonic deposits are uncovered as granitic mountain ranges erode, while sedimentary deposits may be either exposed as rivers cut through old sedimentary rock deposits that are undergoing uplift, or, buried as more layers of sediment are deposited on top.

Some minerals are simply never going to run out. The earth's got vast amounts of iron. The iron we mine and use to make steel is either recycled, or left out to rust - which turns it into iron oxides, which are the chief components of most every iron-bearing ore. And the process to make hard steel involves alloying iron with carbon, which is of course superabundant. More specialized steel alloys might be more difficult to make if, say, nobody can get ahold of chromium any more, but I don't think a lack of Chrome-molybdenum steel is going to prevent an industrial revolution from proceeding.

Some minerals are found in such trace amounts that they could conceivably be "mined out" for the next few millennia, if our uses of them leave them in unrecoverable states or places. I've got about 8 or so college geology courses under my belt but I don't recall ever covering this topic so I'd have to do some research.

For a good primer (and just a fantastic thing to watch anyway) on how we bootstrapped modern civilization, check out the old James Burke series, Connections. It's not always easy to find a streaming option but it's out there. The very first episode is a real banger and directly relevant to this conversation - the technology trap we're in that, if it collapses, leaves us unable to use a lot of what we might think of as intermediate or simpler technologies. Basically, if the electrical grid were to down completely and permanently, we're gonna have to remember how to plow the soil with oxen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Okay so I looked closer into DCC upon this thread's recommendations and 1) gently caress yes, this is exactly the van wizard/bong dragon poo poo I want, but 2) it seems like the creator is an icky dude who also did like confederate apologia in some alt-history dinosaurs game? I won't talk about the obvious solution because it's obvious and we don't discuss it here. But are there alternatives like third party adaptations or people doing similar vibes for other systems?

Joseph Goodman is emphatically not a chud and has done a lot, a lot of work to prove it over the years. Most recently he broke ties with Judges Guild after they turned out to be chuds, at significant cost to his company.

In terms of content in DCC, it has Neanderthals/subhumans as a monster in the core rulebook and there’s a trend of inspiration from Blaxploitation movies (ie: an iconic Black sorceress empowers your dice with luck by rubbing them on her Afro.) The company used those same images to argue for Black voices and ideas in RPG gaming, and I believe made a donation to that effect.

Confederate Rex or whatever it was was something they published but did not design I believe, and Dukes of Hazzard style stuff was far more acceptable 20 years ago. Did it age well? No, but I don’t think it’s a reason to not buy stuff from them now when Goodman Games has proved they’re not people like that plenty of times in the years since.

Tl;dr: buy DCC without worries, don’t use the subhuman monster if you want things to be 100% peachy keen in your own game.

e: I was incorrect, Joseph Goodman has a design credit on Broncosaurus Rex.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 22, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'll have you know that my PhD was in theoretical physics, I'm not a mineralogist or knowstuffaboutactualelectricalpowersystemologist by training. :v:

Glad to hear I didn't come off as a total jerk for once.

And yeah I don't know enough to really engage with the topic of us getting into a technological cul de sac in either direction ; I am but a poor little social scientist who remembers episodes of Bill Nye.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Okay so I looked closer into DCC upon this thread's recommendations and 1) gently caress yes, this is exactly the van wizard/bong dragon poo poo I want, but 2) it seems like the creator is an icky dude who also did like confederate apologia in some alt-history dinosaurs game? I won't talk about the obvious solution because it's obvious and we don't discuss it here. But are there alternatives like third party adaptations or people doing similar vibes for other systems?

As much as that game did end up being confederate apologia there's not really any indication that it actually reflects the beliefs of anyone at Goodman Games(I'd say the fact that they haven't touched the setting in the better part of 15 years is a good indication of that) and indeed as far as I can tell they seem to be good people who have supported good causes over the years(they've been involved in at least one BLM/Police Accountability charity drive for example)

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Arivia posted:

Joseph Goodman is emphatically not a chud and has done a lot, a lot of work to prove it over the years...
In terms of content in DCC, it has Neanderthals/subhumans as a monster in the core rulebook...

DCC, for all its fun bong-wizard style, is one of the few ttrpg purchases I regret. The subhuman entry specifically references jungle natives and lost tribesmen with low intelligence who are always led by a "higher order humanoid."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rockman Reserve posted:

Is Flesh and Blood worth looking into at all if I crave a card game dude basher and think all the stuff they’ve bolted onto Magic since Planeswalkers just makes it more obvious how much of the game is mired in design from 30 years ago?

Everything I've see of Flesh and Blood has the earmarks of being a massive grift and I'd expect it to nosedive in less than a year.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Arivia posted:

Joseph Goodman is emphatically not a chud and has done a lot, a lot of work to prove it over the years. Most recently he broke ties with Judges Guild after they turned out to be chuds, at significant cost to his company.

In terms of content in DCC, it has Neanderthals/subhumans as a monster in the core rulebook and there’s a trend of inspiration from Blaxploitation movies (ie: an iconic Black sorceress empowers your dice with luck by rubbing them on her Afro.) The company used those same images to argue for Black voices and ideas in RPG gaming, and I believe made a donation to that effect.

Confederate Rex or whatever it was was something they published but did not design I believe, and Dukes of Hazzard style stuff was far more acceptable 20 years ago. Did it age well? No, but I don’t think it’s a reason to not buy stuff from them now when Goodman Games has proved they’re not people like that plenty of times in the years since.

Tl;dr: buy DCC without worries, don’t use the subhuman monster if you want things to be 100% peachy keen in your own game.

e: I was incorrect, Joseph Goodman has a design credit on Broncosaurus Rex.

Obviously it's possible to enjoy stuff despite problematic elements. Lord knows most hyper-leftist space communist TTRPG enthusiasts still enjoy a good old-fashioned monarchical power fantasy now and then.

This isn't "well, She-Ra is still a princess, and there's a lot of assumptions that go into that even if the show tries to grapple with many of the implications." This is just loving disgusting, go-back-to-Africa-tier racism. Hopefully, Goodman regrets this inclusion. Has he said as much? Do recent printings exclude it? I dunno, I don't keep track of the guy, but I sure do remember his "woops all racism" monster entry. Yet still, nevertheless, you can elide or confront it, and enjoy the rest of the game. But you absolutely shouldn't dismiss it so airily as you do here.

Especially rich coming from the person who tried to burn someone (Fuego?) for using "spear-chucker" when mocking the way racists talk. Not great and probably unnecessary on ?Fuego?'s part? Maybe. making GBS threads all over him like he was just shouting it at some kids riding past his gated neighborhood, and then coming around here to drop "oh boo, poor Mister Goodman didn't mean anything by publishing a stat block straight out of RaHoWa, besides you can ignore it if it really bothers you"? loving go on :allears:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The subhumans look like they are having a good time, to be honest. If anything one shoukd be envious of them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm super down with there being subhumans as like degraded former humans and misbegotten beastmen and horrific vat-grown abominations etc but yeah, just lumping in all tribal people and indigenous folks of various climates is horrible.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
That entry looks like a direct reference to Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun and the cave of the man-apes, and the trope of humans devolving back into Smart Animals or straight-up monsters over deep time. Make of that what you will.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I mean more then that it looks like a direct reference to 1800s level racism.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah I'd interpret that as more poor wording rather than intentional racism

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So...

On the one hand you have the subhuman entry, which is a very common s&s trope.

On the other you have their history of strong and direct statements and actions re: inclusivity in gaming, which has pissed off chuds to no end - not the least of which was acting quickly and decisively on the Judges Guild fiasco.

They aren't flawless but drat, folks, they aren't a bunch of regressive poo poo-lords. Putting them on the same footing with the likes of Macris and Raggi is absurd.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

dwarf74 posted:

So...

On the other you have their history of strong and direct statements and actions re: inclusivity in gaming, which has pissed off chuds to no end - not the least of which was acting quickly and decisively on the Judges Guild fiasco.

They aren't flawless but drat, folks, they aren't a bunch of regressive poo poo-lords. Putting them on the same footing with the likes of Macris and Raggi is absurd.

I mean, I think that's just the result of internet discourse: Where things must either be holy and blameless or as bad as a billion holocausts, with no room for any categories in between. It sounds like the company's not actively associated with Bad poo poo within the industry, but that subhumans text block probably needed someone to pay much closer attention to its implications and Bronocsaurus Rex had a bunch of weird, out of place conservative apologia in it, so I could understand someone being leery of the company if that was their primary experience with it. In conclusion GOODMAN GAMES is a land of contrasts.

(Personally I just never got into DCC because of their focus on 0-level funnels and random rolling for stat generation. I'm a point buy man 'til the day I die!)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

So...

Yeah, but maybe reassuring a prospective customer that he isn't a Macris shouldn't involve being disingenuous about what's actually in the book.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I just picked up a copy of wanderhome. Has anyone played it yet that wants to share their experiences?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I have a sort of weird need for help, that I don't even know if anyone CAN help me with. I'm planning on starting a game of Fellowship soon, following a lot of hype from this thread and others, and a big piece of advice I see nearly everywhere (including in the core book itself!) is that the Fellowship is incredibly powerful so the Overlord player NEEDS to be willing to play extremely gloves off to present a reasonable threat. The problem is I'm... Kind of a very soft touch DM most of the time. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for how to play more brutal, especially within the PbtA framework or Fellowship specifically?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DalaranJ posted:

I just picked up a copy of wanderhome. Has anyone played it yet that wants to share their experiences?

I've been playing it for a few months. I've been GM, which is more or less unnecessary, I end up mostly modulating the tone of a given session.

My crew has preferred to do a new season and a new location every session. I pick 3 random people to each choose a nature (sometimes includes me), and then I try to come up with an explanation for a cave-bridge-port or what have you. I try to pay careful attention to any moves peculiar to a location, especially the ones that involve players spending tokens.

The intended tone of the game is low stakes, so I tend to let the players ease into the new location until I can come up with something that holds the session together. I tend to have my sessions get into the anxiety or restlessness under the the PCs - why are they on the road, what are they hiding from their friends, what would they actually want that they don't want to say they want. I tie that into a feature of the world, usually an NPC that reflects on a PCs vice, but frequently a simple event like losing track of a dependent NPC. If I'm struggling for an idea, I fish the PCs move list - the moth tenders' letters have saved me several times.

I really like it, maybe the best campaign I've run. "Gentle, but unsettling" has been the main vibe so far and it has been a great system for that since violence is so off the table.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I have a sort of weird need for help, that I don't even know if anyone CAN help me with. I'm planning on starting a game of Fellowship soon, following a lot of hype from this thread and others, and a big piece of advice I see nearly everywhere (including in the core book itself!) is that the Fellowship is incredibly powerful so the Overlord player NEEDS to be willing to play extremely gloves off to present a reasonable threat. The problem is I'm... Kind of a very soft touch DM most of the time. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for how to play more brutal, especially within the PbtA framework or Fellowship specifically?
If you have the fourth book, Generous Fellowship, there's an advanced version of Pay the Price that can give you a good framework to follow to cost the players things whenever they need to PTP. Also it's not so much "play brutal" as it is play mean (but not, like, too mean that it just becomes cruel or spiteful, you want to be a fan of the characters and narrative and just kicking them repeatedly gets old quick). There's a lot of versatility to playing mean depending on the cut you want to make ("reveal an unwelcome truth" has some great range for adding a complication that needs to be dealt with) but at the end of the day you want to just be consistent with following soft cuts with hard cuts if they don't succeed or don't bite on opportunities they need to take care of. The Overlord has plans. It will pursue those plans, and the Overlord will pursue those plans pretty regularly to bolster their forces and security. Just keep in mind that things are happening off-screen and will keep happening if they aren't interrupted, or that things they've secured may not remain theirs if they don't defend or aid it, but that doesn't mean the moment it's theirs it will immediately come under siege, y'know?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rockman Reserve posted:

Is Flesh and Blood worth looking into at all if I crave a card game dude basher and think all the stuff they’ve bolted onto Magic since Planeswalkers just makes it more obvious how much of the game is mired in design from 30 years ago?

I like it quite a bit, especially because it scratches a similar itch to the old dbz ccg where you're primarily fighting a 1v1 against your opponent's character rather than an abstract "field" with creatures and such.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm not into the theme at all, so I haven't personally looked into it. But what I have incidentally heard is that if you are looking to get into it be sure to buy from the 'unlimited' core set (rather than the sold out initial versions of the core set) because it's one of the CCGs that has blown up with card speculation recently.

Hostile V posted:

Pay the Price

Wow, I completely forgot that this was a cut, I was just using 'Pay the Price' as my generic name for resource expenditure requirements surrounding rolls.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Everything I've see of Flesh and Blood has the earmarks of being a massive grift and I'd expect it to nosedive in less than a year.

In what way? It's got a pretty large following in my area but nothing seemed grifty.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

drrockso20 posted:

If we're doing card game recommendations I'd suggest giving the current Digimon card game a look as it's both a really well made card game in general and has some of the best art of any currently active TCG

I can second the Digimon card game, it's a ton of fun. Kinda hard to get sealed product, but not as hard as it used to be.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

zerofiend posted:

In what way? It's got a pretty large following in my area but nothing seemed grifty.

The entire point of the product is that a bunch of the MtG speculators get together and buy out the limited run product for effectively nothing through their inside industry contacts and resell it through their patreons and poo poo at incredible markups while using it to hype their "content creation" and generate buzz about how much the product is "worth".

It's a bunch of backroom deals between the company and speculators to create a bubble, and nothing I've seen from the game's design looks to be worth it. To be clear about how far this goes, the name "Flesh and Blood" is in reference to the fact that they actively are avoiding any digital product and want the game to be played in person only, in "flesh and blood", because that way they can create an artificial scarcity/buzz about physical product.

They are also hard to do some big in-person tournaments with massive cash prizes in the next couple of months to set up their Pro Tour. I don't know what their COVID precautions are like, but the whole thing seems dicey and forced. This would not be the first time a card game has tried to muscle through with a MILLION DOLLAR TOURNAMENT CIRCUIT or whatever, and it has basically never ended well.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

zerofiend posted:

Also, from the MTG thread who is also currently talking about FAB:

triple sulk posted:

First edition printings have "cold foiled" cards which are mostly equipment cards and typically either common or legendary rarity, with some exceptions such as majestic weapons. Originally there were six rarity levels: common, rare, super rare, majestic, legendary, and fabled, and the super rare tier was removed. One case (four boxes) might contain one legendary on average. Fabled cards appear in one in 40ish boxes. So far they've mostly had minimal impact at a game level, but the most impactful equipment cards are often legendary rarity which means some equipment cards are $250 or so.

Rainbow foils also exist, but other than that and a few edge cases of things like a handful of alternate arts that only appear in the first edition, there is zero difference between the printings. That said, cold foils are then the only way to truly bling out your deck, but then you'd effectively be playing with cards you're supposed to lock away and grade because the sets have artificial scarcity.

The game's creator has gone on videos with one well known FAB whale who's a rich fintech guy that owns a ton of Magic power and is basically hoarding up tons of singles and sealed product. There's another couple people out there like him and Rudy that own literally four figures worth of boxes when we're taking about a potential first edition print run of no more than 50-75k boxes for the latest set.

It's gross.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah, but maybe reassuring a prospective customer that he isn't a Macris shouldn't involve being disingenuous about what's actually in the book.

I wasn’t trying to be disingenuous. I remembered that entry had caused some consternation on here before so I mentioned it to be fair about the actual contents of the book. I was writing that post on my phone on the bus so I couldn’t check the entry myself.

I noted it was a possible problem and that excising it would be good if someone (like the original person asking about DCC) was uncomfortable with it. I’m not sure what else you expected me to do in that situation, or what I did to provoke you. Either way, it was unintentional.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Infinity Gaia posted:

When you put the players in tough spots, don't rationalise that that you are punishing the players, that you are making it impossible for them to win or ruining their fun. What you are doing is creating the conditions for their glorious victory.

"We followed the Overlord to his lair and punched him in the face and he fell over, saving the world!" isn't a story anyone will remember.
"We were imprisoned in an underwater prison and broke out by the skin of our teeth before we almost TPK'd against the mechagolem guarding the Overlord's lair and then we snuck in and our party sacrificed themselves to pull the Overlord into a lava pit of doom, saving the world!" is an epic story your group will remember for a long time.

But the latter story only happens if you are tough on your group. Characters learn about themselves and realise the full potential when they have to come back from their lowest point. This is the foundational basis of western narrative fiction since the Greek myths, across all genres. Even in a Rom Com, the couple only get together at the end after they break up at the end of Act 2 and everything seems lost but they both realise they have to change to get what they want. Narrative catharsis comes from overcoming struggle. The deeper the pit, the tougher the climb, the better the view from the peak.

In Fellowship the players are going to win in the end anyway, they simply have too many tools at their disposal where they will eventually be strong enough to beat anything the GM throws at them. That is because the game is very well designed to ensure this!

Remember, you are not being tough on your players, you are being tough on their characters. Players almost universally like it when their characters face seemingly impossible odds. And defeating the Overlord is meant to feel impossible. Otherwise it wouldn't be up to your incredibly awesome characters to save the world.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Arivia posted:

I wasn’t trying to be disingenuous. I remembered that entry had caused some consternation on here before so I mentioned it to be fair about the actual contents of the book. I was writing that post on my phone on the bus so I couldn’t check the entry myself.

I noted it was a possible problem and that excising it would be good if someone (like the original person asking about DCC) was uncomfortable with it. I’m not sure what else you expected me to do in that situation, or what I did to provoke you. Either way, it was unintentional.

I think where I was coming from is pretty plain and understandable, but I also recognize that we can't all be buried in every book we discuss to double-check talking about elves online. So I apologize for coming off so hot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

I think where I was coming from is pretty plain and understandable, but I also recognize that we can't all be buried in every book we discuss to double-check talking about elves online. So I apologize for coming off so hot.

Apology accepted.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That Old Tree posted:

The Subhuman entry is it though, isn't it?

It seems more disingenuous to paint the whole book as a hateful bundle of racisms when there's only one awful (and ubiquitous) fantasy trope.

E: *Ubiquitous in vintage sword and sorcery fiction, not throughout DCC. It still sucks, but AFAIK it's not the norm for the game.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 23, 2021

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
There also used to be a piece of art in the book that contained a neo-nazi symbol - specifically a sonnenrad, which falls into "most people wouldn't recognize this as a nazi thing until you told them" territory - and I assume someone told them because it got replaced several printings ago.

One of the starting occupations you can roll up is "halfling gypsy," which pretty clearly originates from a place of "this is just a normal word I've heard my whole life" ignorance rather than malice, though it is bad and I hope it gets rewritten to something else in a future printing.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 23, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

The Subhuman entry is it though, isn't it?

It seems more disingenuous to paint the whole book as a hateful bundle of racisms when there's only one awful (and ubiquitous) fantasy trope.

E: *Ubiquitous in vintage sword and sorcery fiction, not throughout DCC. It still sucks, but AFAIK it's not the norm for the game.

The most popular/critically acclaimed DCC adventure, Sailors on the Starless Sea, is about fighting animal-headed beast men like the subhuman monster entry notes. I don’t know whether it uses the subhuman stat block itself or something else as I played it instead of running it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like removing the obscure symbol instead of doubling down was laudable. The industry standard is really loving low, but there's been some demonstrable growth here.

That's the same black sun that showed up on Greenstuff World's base roller, isn't it? They were a lot less comfortable about removing it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Toshimo posted:

Also, from the MTG thread who is also currently talking about FAB:

Happened to see you quoted me and I'm glad to talk at length about this since I typed that other post from my phone. This is going to be a long post, so I apologize in advance.

I want to at least address FAB The Game first so it doesn't seem like I have no idea how it actually works. The game in and of itself is "okay" but for some reason people seem to be completely unaware of other games in the TCG market which have similar elements in their design that have made them not particularly good over the years.

The basic gist of the game is that each player has a hero character. That hero character is of a given class, and each class typically has its own sort of design in how it engages. Some classes can store up tokens to attack with later in one massive hit, or others might ping you for a bunch of 1-2 point swings that you eventually can't defend in a given turn. That's just going tall or wide, which is a term that people may have heard before from Magic or other TCGs.

Each hero has a set of equipment for the head, chest, arms, and feet, along with a weapon. Those equipment cards vary in their usefulness and functionality; the worst ones will just be a one-time use to mitigate a couple points of damage before they're broken, and others have passive effects which are much more powerful. Some equipment is class-specific while others are generic. The most powerful equipment cards are often majestic or legendary rarity, with some exceptions thus far; Arcanite Skullcap is a generic piece of head equipment that appears in many builds and as such goes for $225 on TCGPlayer as a current low price. This is generally a worst case scenario, but others such as Fydenal's Spring Tunic go for the $150 range.

Your deck is composed of a mix of class-specific and generic cards. I won't go into too much detail for sake of being as succinct as possible, but these fill different roles. The general flow of battle is that you basically use attack action cards to swing at your opponent which starts a chain, and you each take turns responding with various cards such as attack or defense reaction cards. You pay for the card actions by pitching them. All those cards have a 1-3 value (and affiliated color), so in every new set you'll always see a ton of cards like this:

As such, you have a lot of duplicates and the values adjust accordingly. That bottom right value is a defense value you can use to block against attacks by essentially throwing them away without actually activating them as a card. Thus the whole idea of making people throw away their cards and pinging them for damage in some builds.

If you want to find out more about this, I'd say to just go watch a video, but the short of it is that the game is very much just back and forth swinging at people and not exactly interactive in the same way that Magic is with its stack. To make things worse, I don't believe that long term the game is all that deep because of the way heroes are designed. To elaborate, there have been four sets thus far. Three have had new class heroes introduced, and one more was a supplemental set all with "young" heroes that fill their 20 HP blitz format, although two of those were new classes that no one plays. Those classes are as such:

Welcome to Rathe, containing the Brute, Guardian, Ninja, and Warrior
Arcane Rising, containing the Mechanologist, Ranger, Runeblade, and Wizard
Crucible of War (the supplemental set), containing a Brute, Mechanologist, Ninja, Warrior, and new Merchant and Shapeshifter
Monarch, containing a Light Illusionist, Light Warrior, Shadow Brute, and Shadow Runeblade

But now you might say that the last three classes already existed, when the reality is that the light and shadow theme of Monarch introduces talents, which are ultimately just twists on the existing classes, but can completely warp the manner in which they play. The talentless classes such as the Warrior cannot use Light Warrior type cards, but the talented class can use the baseline Warrior cards. The first hero type for the upcoming set is an Elemental Ranger, which means that the original ranger hero may or may not get any tangible support as virtually all of the cards in the set will be talent-specific, so you just hope something happens to come down in the form of generic equipment or other such cards.

If you're familiar with Vanguard, it's a similar problem where you have a bunch of clans, except even within those clans you could have small variations of playstyles, but ultimately you might wait years to ever see support again. The short of it is that hero bans come along in the way of wins, so if your hero is banned, you can never use them again, and you might need to wait for another one to be released at some point to replace it. I see it that they're trying to avoid rotation by jamming out new [talent/class] combos every set, but other heros end up forgotten or outpaced, and the gameplay in and of itself is not all that intriguing when you could just continue to play commander in Magic and do virtually anything you want.

Now onto the finance side, which I've touched on. The company that makes FAB, Legend Story Studios, publishes first edition print run data for each of their sets some number of months after release. Sets have been as follows:
Welcome to Rathe - 400000 booster packs (16,666 boxes)
Arcane Rising - 400000 booster packs (16,666 boxes)
Crucible of War - 900000 booster packs (37,500 boxes)
Monarch - TBA

With five legendaries and one legendary card per 96 packs for WTR, for example, that means that 4,166 first edition legendary cards exist in total in that set, and 833 of each card, which has the "cold foiling" (basically certain parts of the card and the borders are silvery). The same is true for the second set. For the Fabled card, Heart of Fyendal, there's probably even fewer. That's why you see finance people treating the game like Alpha Magic and that their cards should be worth $15k-40k.

I won't dig too much into the community specifics but Saint (FaBled Hunters) is one of the known whales along with Rudy (Alpha Investments) and another guy he's collaborated with who owns probably 1500+ boxes of Monarch first edition alone at this point. Let's be generous and say that 75,000 boxes of Monarch first edition were produced, and conservatively assume half of that was already opened; that means one person alone owns potentially 4-5% of all remaining sealed product for that set. Before release, Monarch first edition boxes hit as much as $650 each on Channel Fireball, and Rudy sold supposedly 3000 bundles of two boxes with a playmat and promo for $1000. Boxes soon after plummeted and are now in the $250 range at best. Considering what he probably paid for the product at a distribution level, he probably made at least a couple million dollars just off sales of that bundle alone. He's since mainly moved onto MetaZoo as the new "get in on the ground floor" grift for people who didn't sell Welcome to Rathe boxes for $6-8k a piece.

The next FAB set has people a bit wary because of what happened with Monarch, but CFB is still charging $175 a box as of this writing for first edition boxes. LSS and the community keeps hyping up their pro circuit when you could argue no one really gives a poo poo about competitive TCGs any more and just wants to play commander, never mind that there's still a really bad pandemic going on which may end up cancelling a lot of stuff if it keeps getting worse. Most of the YouTubers only talk about the finance side of it or have weird low-quality production videos that come across as grifty.

I'll probably stop here for now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So it seems like the issue is throwing "jungle natives" (and possibly lost tribesmen/cultists) in under subhumans? Like if it was just listed as "caveman and degenerate mutants and such" it'd be fine, the problem is it's saying "yeah this is the statblock for gross, twisted, misshapen mockeries of men... you know, like the Mbuti"

e: and what I'm getting at is is it still that way in current printings? If it was in the initial printings and then they went "oh boy you're right that reads real bad, we'll fix it" that's fine, people make mistakes. If such an easily fixed issue it's still in current pdfs that's gross.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 23, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shells of former men, made twisted by talk radio and abundant supplies of horse de-worming medicine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My thinking exactly. It's one thing to have a "Subhuman" stat block for things like Wolfe's zoanthropes and even Lovecraft's Martense family, but when you start flat-out saying that primitive peoples are subhuman, holy poo poo that's bad.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

DCC also had the magical afro dice, and when the entire team is white, that's not a great look.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nessus posted:

Shells of former men, made twisted by talk radio and abundant supplies of horse de-worming medicine.

Are they also turning the frickin' bullywugs gay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are they also turning the frickin' bullywugs gay?

Some are tempted by eldrich bowls of chili that can make a man forget his own children's names