Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

wow 78 people croaked and freed up beds? surely this means we're on the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Vishass posted:

LOL my kids are at fully masked schools "with low transmission" for the last three weeks and I'm currently sitting in an urgent care waiting for one of their rapid test results

Jesus. Hope it comes back negative

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol we're gonna get new hospitalizations this weekend dropped in inconspicuously on some day no one's looking, like they've been doing with deaths for over a year now.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'm sure this drop in hospitalizations had nothing to do with the fact that half the states don't report on weekends.

Looks like we've rounded the corner on this COVID thing!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Helith posted:

I would argue that the lack of financial support this go round is driving a lot of the infections. Western Sydney where the bulk of the infections are happenin is working class, diverse with lots of immigrants etc and generally poorer. NSW Health have said that the majority of infections are happening in workplaces and in households, we also know that people are infectious before they show symptoms, so you can see the perfect storm driving the spread here. People going to work, catching it and spreading to their household who may also be going to work etc. A lot of people are actual essential workers too like hospital staff supermarket delivery staff etc, not the bullshit made up 'essential' workers.
There are payments available but they're harder to get and from different sources and I don't think the Feds are offering much support this time either as they clearly want all lockdowns to end.
:( lnp have leaned hard into covid as a tool of genocide, with the added benefit that they get to experiment with just how hard and blatantly they can oppress ethnically diverse areas before the whites begin to give a poo poo. (a point that is yet to be reached, even with full military occupation to little or no effect.)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Past the peak!

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Shear Modulus posted:

anyone got the aqua teen clip handy

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

can someone post the animated map from last year's wave showing the sturgis bomb in action

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

we've rounded the corner

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Back when I was active doing coronavirus awareness activism I spoke to a number of medical professionals who swore up and down that there was some sort of bizarre disease that had flu-like symptoms but when they listened to their lungs they sounded like crackling paper. And this was back in December of 2019 that multiple medical professionals started noticing it.

Purely anecdotal, at least on my part, but I came across that same anecdote at least half a dozen times.

yeah - another anecdote to add - wife’s mom had a bad lung thing in Dec 2019 that no docs ever formally diagnosed but had that exact “crackling paper” lungs symptom and some really bad coughing

wonder what it was… doubt it was COVID though

Goobish
May 31, 2011

And once again I'm thankful I can homeschool. I already called off my wedding and everyone is pissed lol. gently caress them though. Just dusted off my respirator. Turns out I had about a month window to get married (her family pressure for reception) but I missed it. No one else seems to pay attention to covid anymore. We'll get married in respirators. gently caress lib familu.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

weve cornered the round folks

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

crackling, you say?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

1024x768 posted:

can someone post the animated map from last year's wave showing the sturgis bomb in action

corona familiar posted:

ever since that GIF i made a few days ago, i started working on a web app that could animate historical data from CovidActNow's dataset

it's really barebones right now, just a map and a date, but i can animate basically any field on this documentation page

here's a recording of cases per 100k (7 day average). placeholder colors, but red = 100 cases / 100k

https://i.imgur.com/hNYIUaU.mp4

not sure what's up with nebraska

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Lmao that graphic

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

I’ve been pulling the data from HHS for the past week. starting yesterday, about 15% of the hospitals had keying errors and were showing -999,999 in a bunch of different columns. some even had 0 available and 0 occupied beds.

Oh, and Florida randomly added 5,000 beds to its available list from Fri to Sat.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

momma mia!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Back when I was active doing coronavirus awareness activism I spoke to a number of medical professionals who swore up and down that there was some sort of bizarre disease that had flu-like symptoms but when they listened to their lungs they sounded like crackling paper. And this was back in December of 2019 that multiple medical professionals started noticing it.

Purely anecdotal, at least on my part, but I came across that same anecdote at least half a dozen times.

In December of 2019 in Alabama I got laid out hard by a flu-like bug that was primarily chest congestion, cough and fever, and I had very crackly respiration. I had to sleep on my stomach to be able to breathe comfortably, and it lasted about a week before it went away. My mom also got a mild case of it. I was never one of those "I had COVID before it was cool" folks that kept popping up in the early part of the pandemic, but I can offer one more anecdote for the pile.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Looks like Tokyo is run by Sbarro

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Third dose trip report.

I figured I'd try a couple of places first to see whether I could ferret out anybody who didn't give a poo poo that I'm not immunocompromised before Max Titersing it up, since I figured it might be good to get the extra dose on my vaccination record. I tried a RiteAid, and the guy seemed like he wanted to, but turned me down. So, I went to CVS, and the person there double-checked how much longer it was gonna be before she had to dump the vial in the fridge down the drain. She figured it was better to get another dose from it into somebody's arm than to waste it. She also didn't ask me for insurance info, which is a much better experience than when I went to Fred Meyer for my first dose and they had me waiting at the counter for half an hour while they verified something with my insurance company (meanwhile, a long line started forming behind me full of increasingly pissed-off people).

So, I got stuck (barely even felt the needle this time), I got a second card (since I forgot my original one at home) with "1st" crossed out and "3rd" written instead. After copying that info over to my original card, I'm all set documentation-wise.

As for the side effects, they are waaaaaaaay milder than my second dose side effects were. My first dose ended up with a tiny bit of arm soreness and not much else, but my second dose kicked my rear end worse than any other vaccine I've ever had. Think crippling joint and muscle pain that left me barely able to walk for a week, and then still hobbling around until about a month after the shot.

This time around, I got more arm soreness than the first time, but that's already mostly gone, and I had a slight bit of joint and muscle pain, but I had to really focus to notice it was there. Other than that, I haven't really had any issues.

A+++++++ would get jabbed again.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Oh, and Florida randomly added 5,000 beds to its available list from Fri to Sat.

It's called the Everglades.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

kazmeyer posted:

In December of 2019 in Alabama I got laid out hard by a flu-like bug that was primarily chest congestion, cough and fever, and I had very crackly respiration. I had to sleep on my stomach to be able to breathe comfortably, and it lasted about a week before it went away. My mom also got a mild case of it. I was never one of those "I had COVID before it was cool" folks that kept popping up in the early part of the pandemic, but I can offer one more anecdote for the pile.

I had a meeting in October/November of 2019 in California where one of the attendees couldn't make it because they were laid out by a bad cold. It was actually a little concerning but none of the doctors he went to could identify the problem. They knew it wasn't a regular cold but they also couldn't tell what else it was.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

i am harry posted:

that sounds like heaven on earth

It was before covid!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

1024x768 posted:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

UnknownTarget posted:

I had a meeting in October/November of 2019 in California where one of the attendees couldn't make it because they were laid out by a bad cold. It was actually a little concerning but none of the doctors he went to could identify the problem. They knew it wasn't a regular cold but they also couldn't tell what else it was.

Unfortunately I never sought medical care for mine, because it just wasn't that bad and it cleared up relatively quickly. There was one day when it was bad enough I was considering a trip to urgent care, but I thought I'd sleep on it and made the turn the next morning. My brother, who had ample contact with both of us during that time, never developed any symptoms, but he worked around kids so his immune system was always getting a workout.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

What communities has delta seeded in, in NZ?

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Substandard posted:

I mean ivermectin horse paste also tells you the dose per hundred pounds on the tube. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out how much to take to not die, but I'm not going to test that theory

There’s usually a helpful conversion chart, you just need to know how many hands tall you are

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

spaceblancmange posted:

What communities has delta seeded in, in NZ?

hobbit community

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

meet girls at the store posted:

There’s usually a helpful conversion chart, you just need to know how many hands tall you are

It turns out the people buying horse paste for covid treatment aren't good at math. Whoops!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Welp, COVID has hit the chud branch of my extended family, have a 70 year old aunt that probably wasn't vaxxed in the ICU.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Lovelyn posted:

To be clear, rolling out the military should be a last resort, after informing; begging and pleading; offering money; going door to door; restricting access to goods and services; etc.

Also consider the effect the military will have on fence-sitters. If they see that poo poo happening in one town, they will probably be more inclined to just get the loving jab. The other side of that is it will likely embolden those who are already staunchly anti-vax to be even more obstinate.

How did people react when the military forced polio vaccines on people? Genuinely curious

I have to deal with these fuckers every workday and my brain is getting broken in a very real way, so anyway, behold my beans/lentils

Skipping eleven pages and maybe there’s a good argument against it, but I think this is a rare reasonable use of the military where people should have a choice between a vaccination and a round of 5.56 to the brain. (Actually some sort of isolation instead of summary imexscution but maybe don’t tell them that up front.)

Kind of d rink:high though so I’ll own it if there’s a good argument against this position.

Anyway all that aside thanks to Lovelyn and all tue medgoons who are posting though if this insane bullshit, with the exception of MadJackal and also the IK magnet-toucher who thinks they’re a doctorb.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DickParasite posted:

It turns out the people buying horse paste for covid treatment aren't good at math. Whoops!

yeah, like I'm gonna believe the dick parasite here

*buys a 5 ga bucket of horse dick parasite medicine*

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Thoguh posted:

Welp, COVID has hit the chud branch of my extended family, have a 70 year old aunt that probably wasn't vaxxed in the ICU.

Bit latr in the night to be receiving this news.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mr Hootington posted:

This is true if more people are infected the sooner we reach herd immunity.

Herd immunity, idiots. Can't solve this pandemic with human vaccines, that's why we need horse dewormer

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Also totally unrelated but I told my kid if he finished online school for the week by Thursday he could spend Friday doing whatever he wanted, to include eight full hours of Roblox. Whereupon he murdered Monday’s assignments in cold blood, loled, and went to take a shower. I’ve created a preteen monster, but at least I know his lungs still work..

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Goobish posted:

And once again I'm thankful I can homeschool. I already called off my wedding and everyone is pissed lol. gently caress them though. Just dusted off my respirator. Turns out I had about a month window to get married (her family pressure for reception) but I missed it. No one else seems to pay attention to covid anymore. We'll get married in respirators. gently caress lib familu.

my sister got engaged in the middle of the fall surge last year and planned her wedding for October this year, on the hope covid would go away magically or something

my family in general has been better than i expected but still libbish, but this drat thing is still not cancelled and i'm kinda starting to get worried even September won't be enough for her to call it off

they're making lunch plans in a couple weeks for her fiance to meet our 80-year-old family friends, one of whom recovered from lung cancer a few years ago and is on oxygen. lmao

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

turd in my singlet posted:

my sister got engaged in the middle of the fall surge last year and planned her wedding for October this year, on the hope covid would go away magically or something

my family in general has been better than i expected but still libbish, but this drat thing is still not cancelled and i'm kinda starting to get worried even September won't be enough for her to call it off

they're making lunch plans in a couple weeks for her fiance to meet our 80-year-old family friends, one of whom recovered from lung cancer a few years ago and is on oxygen. lmao

Maybe they just want to steal the oxygen and sell it on the black market.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Today I learned that "happy hypoxia" where you feel fine as your O2 sat numbers are plummeting is a thing. Brother in law had a guy walk into his ER under his own power with his sats in the 20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

We did before delta. Delta doesn't work the same. NZ is now finding this out as well (35 cases with a population smaller than Melbourne).

Bit early to tell for us. Still finding cases infected before we locked down, we aren't really into spread during the lockdown yet which would be the thing that shows if it is working or not.