Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

- Active support for an ongoing genocide w/ mass enslavement, concentration camps, secret police and ethnic supremacy

- Ah but not a Nazi, phew that is a relief!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

China, China, CHINA!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Is it that time of the year again?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

WarpedNaba posted:

Is it that time of the year again?
Back to school? Yes.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Dandywalken posted:

ChinaHong Kong, ChinaTibet, CHINA!TAIWAN!

FTFY

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Man, things were going so well.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Did you guys hear about a little guy known as China??????? I heard he's a pretty cool duder

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
pull up thread noooooo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dont Touch ME posted:

I think China is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills Ughiurs and doesnt afraid of anything.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Definitely afraids Việt Nam.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Dont Touch ME posted:

Definitely afraids Việt Nam.

also ice water

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dont Touch ME posted:

Did you guys hear about a little guy known as China??????? I heard he's a pretty cool duder

China is pretty goddamn awesome really, with an amazing history, people and culture. It's just Xi's ongoing legacy and crimes people* take issue with.

I miss what the China threads were before Xi wiped his poo poo over everything. It's only taken 8 years to get to where we are now.

* most people.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Chinese Diplomacy is so pathetic these days.

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1429651360346099719

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Making threats like this on twitter is so gd childish and whiny

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Vorik posted:

The funny thing is leftists didn't even bother pretending. Just straight up jumped on the genocide denial and damage control train at full speed. Wasn't just the forum with the mental health thread stickied at the top either. Just leftists in general on social media. That was pretty eye opening to me.

I know plenty of leftists who aren't into authoritarian poo poo, you are just following some real dumbasses

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, it is C-SPAM.

Most leftists I know in meatspace touch grass at least three times a week.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

d0s posted:

I know plenty of leftists who aren't into authoritarian poo poo, you are just following some real dumbasses

Yeah, I mean I'm a leftist, I just dislike genocide so here I am.

Re: the change in tone, yeah, China topics were a lot more lighthearted way back. Tibet was a fait accompli, the Kunming station attack hadn't happened, Taiwan was being courted, and HK was being left to slowly slide. Gutter oil, This Pig's Huge Balls, and whatever terrible thing Haier had been doing / experiencing were the top headlines.

Not to say that it was all puppies and sunshine, but it was the usual grind of a large state doing large state things, background noise unless it was happening right next to you.

But, things change.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Lol at the Indian posters roasting them in the replies.

d0s posted:

For sure. I should have said leftists I used to follow on social media*

Vorik fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 23, 2021

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I do miss when this thread was just funny pictures of things in China.

Noted global power, Lithuania. Watch out, they're gonna reform the Poland Lithuania Commonwealth but now it'll be Lithuania-Poland.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Stink Billyums posted:

also ice water

Bad for healthy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Don Gato posted:

Part of this is also a lot of us are now former China residents instead of current, so we don't have a regular supply of fun pictures anymore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The couple people I knew who lived in China or would go there every year or so for work have left and don't want to go back. Things just got darker and more authoritarian under Xi.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I know little of the dynamics of national hatreds in East Asia, but I'd guess it boils down to the Japanese being absolute giga-dicks like a generation ago, while the Chinese are being pretty big dicks right now.

I remember in the Kingdom (the netflix korean zombie show) there was a scene where everyone (korean government officials) heard the Gong, they all panic immediately and shout "did the Japanese invade AGAIN" - like it's THE MOST LIKELY scenario of a crisis that can happen to Korea?

Now everyone's instinct is gonna be WHAT IS CHINA DOING IN THE SOUTH EAST CHINA SEA / TAIWAN STRAIT / INDIAN BORDER AGAIN?! instead

naughty joystick
Jun 6, 2011
The dynamic between the three is basically:

________-________ relations depend on __________

And it would be correct no matter how you filled it in

Although I guess theres been so much recent tension even the annual visit to Yasukuni won’t make Koreans more endeared with China

China-China relations depend on China

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I know I've said it before but I think it bears repeating that China is absolutely the whiniest supposed great power in the world

Jesus we have to take them seriously when they post poo poo like that on Twitter? My God

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

low key sex master posted:

I know I've said it before but I think it bears repeating that China is absolutely the whiniest supposed great power in the world

Jesus we have to take them seriously when they post poo poo like that on Twitter? My God

This is what the rest of the world was saying about America two years ago.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

its not even that difficult to stand up to them, they don't need to be threatened or intimidated, just have people willing go "lmao xD" in their general direction

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

say what you will that Lithuanian circus is wild

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

HIJK posted:

its not even that difficult to stand up to them, they don't need to be threatened or intimidated, just have people willing go "lmao xD" in their general direction

Yeah. All the whinging and whining is pretty much always performative and backed up by nothing. If you ignore it, it goes away. Because the point of "You have hurt the feelings of the Chinese people by daring to acknowledge that Taiwan exists. Prepare to feel our vague and non specific wrath!" tweets and/or public statements is to make a big show, and to look like they are important and respected. Ignoring it and keeping on doing what you were doing that caused the outburst gets no further retribution.

On that note, has Lithuania responded to the Global Times article saying how mean and naughty they are being to poor China?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Lithuania didnt put nearly as much effort talking about how China literally blacklisted one of their MPs because she had the audacity to make comments about their human rights problem or that other poo poo China does after the Lithuanian parliament passed a resolution recognizing the Uighur genocide this past May.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

My decision to invest my life savings in a direct Beijing to Vilnius railway project, while seemingly sound at the time, now appears increasingly questionable.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Lol China (from the BBC)

quote:

China criticises US over withdrawal
China has criticised the US withdrawal from Afghanistan, accusing Washington of having "selfish" foreign policy priorities.

It said the US had used the rhetoric of a rules-based global order to defend its own "bullying, hegemonic behaviour".

"The US can wantonly conduct military intervention in a sovereign country and does not need to be responsible for the suffering of the people in that country," foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin told a press briefing.

"The US can arbitrarily smear, suppress, coerce and bully other countries without paying any price," he added.

The Afghanistan exit has been a golden opportunity for China to convince the Asian public that the US cannot be trusted, experts say.

Meanwhile, China has called at that meeting of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva for the US, UK, and other countries to "be held accountable for the violation of human rights committed by their military in Afghanistan".

All foreign policy is hypocrisy I suppose but drat

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Noted global power, Lithuania. Watch out, they're gonna reform the Poland Lithuania Commonwealth but now it'll be Lithuania-Poland.

It's Austria-hungary all over again. :ohdear:

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Personal update - earlier this year or sometime last I posted about my in laws that live in Jiangxi. At that time, the local police showed up to their house asking for copies of my wife's (naturalized US citizen) US passport. She refused to supply her parents with that, but her sister who also lives here, supplied a copy of her green card.

For the last three weeks, the police have returned once each week, most recently yesterday, again asking for copy of my wife's US passport and any copies of her Covid vaccination card. WTF

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheBuilder posted:

Personal update - earlier this year or sometime last I posted about my in laws that live in Jiangxi. At that time, the local police showed up to their house asking for copies of my wife's (naturalized US citizen) US passport. She refused to supply her parents with that, but her sister who also lives here, supplied a copy of her green card.

For the last three weeks, the police have returned once each week, most recently yesterday, again asking for copy of my wife's US passport and any copies of her Covid vaccination card. WTF

IDGI. Officials in a country ask for a copy of the passport of a foreign national residing in their country and that's noteworthy because ?!?!?!

e: Oh your wife doesn't reside there? Do they know that?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Lol China (from the BBC)

All foreign policy is hypocrisy I suppose but drat

All of China's whining is projection, its just a part of their baby tantrums.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Don Gato posted:

Aw poo poo, not again.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

IDGI. Officials in a country ask for a copy of the passport of a foreign national residing in their country and that's noteworthy because ?!?!?!

e: Oh your wife doesn't reside there? Do they know that?

My wife will be a legal resident of the United States for 10 years in October. We haven't been back to China for 4 years.

Edit: She comes from a small city (100k pop) and her family is known for having two daughters that have emigrated to the States. My wife also has 2 1 million plus social media accounts in China (Weibo and Meipai) so I assume there is some attention there.

TheBuilder fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 25, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Lol yeah that'll do it.

Wouldn't be surprised if they go document gathering on anyone who breaks (threshold number) subscribers, and the whole "not actually resident" thing has thrown the process completely off.

They probably assign "go get this lady's documents" to each new member of staff as a hazing ritual.

EDIT: China has a small foreign-resident population compared with many western countries, so any procedure that isn't specifically aimed at foreigners, probably has no provision for them.
Names of more than 3 characters, forms of ID other than the national ID card? Lolno.

When the process is an amicable one (setting up an account for a service, etc) then a makeshift solution can usually be reached.
When it's formal/legal/low-level intimidation like the example given, obviously people get in trouble for using makeshift solution, so the whole process hits a roadblock.

Now, you may object and say that it isn't right that the government wanders over to Papers Please people posting legal content on social media, but I can only counter with: China.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Atopian posted:

Yeah, I mean I'm a leftist, I just dislike genocide so here I am.

Re: the change in tone, yeah, China topics were a lot more lighthearted way back. Tibet was a fait accompli, the Kunming station attack hadn't happened, Taiwan was being courted, and HK was being left to slowly slide. Gutter oil, This Pig's Huge Balls, and whatever terrible thing Haier had been doing / experiencing were the top headlines.

Not to say that it was all puppies and sunshine, but it was the usual grind of a large state doing large state things, background noise unless it was happening right next to you.

But, things change.

It all went downhill after we lost Rene Chang