Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I haven’t been since COVID, did they move to a different spot? Google says they’re on Camp now, but right around the corner so not sure if it’s just an office or something.

yeah, not sure -- i just went a million times to their original warehouse location on Erato, I knew they moved to a nicer spot after I moved out of state, but haven't made it back since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I'm planning on making gumbo, but through circumstances I wasn't able to get andouille. I do however have some portuguese sausages- linguisa and chorizo. Should I give it a go, or hold out for andouille? Was thinking of substituting with like 80% linguisa and 20% chorizo.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I don't know linguisa well enough, nor do I technically know portuguese chorizo, but both mexican chorizo and spanish chorizo are not good substitutes for andouille at all. You want something that's smoked and not dried, generally with a finer texture than chorizo; if you've got Polish people around, kielbasa is fairly decent (sorry, actual cajuns in the thread).

That said, I bet gumbo made with any of these sausages would be pretty good anyway. And you don't need sausage to make gumbo, necessarily. If you make a good stock and use the best 2-3 kinds of protein you have (any shellfish, lots of kinds of fish, dark meat chicken) and do a good job with your roux (or your okra or file or whatever) it will be good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Smoked is generally better but as long the sausage is cooked/cured before you put it in the gumbo I bet it will be fine. Just cut it up and toss it in.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I don’t really like andouille and much prefer my local standard Southern smoked, not very Cajun, sausage. Linguica is probably okay, Spanish chorizo maybe, Mexican chorizo-probably not. Even like regular universal Hillshire Farms smoked sausage is fine.

I made red beans and rice tonight but they are awful. An hour in the pressure cooker and the beans were still tough and not melting at all. The package says good until June 2022, but these are definitely some old beans :argh:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Living in the northeast, I used the nationally-available Gaspar's sausage "linguica" and "chourico" for many years in gumbo and jambalayas. Then the grocery started carrying a decent andouille that wasn't $10 for a drat sausage like d'artagnan and I've never bought them again.

It works, but isn't amazing, and neither one is really authentic to their name. They're both fast-cured, and a little bit smoky (artificial I'm sure). If that's what you've got I'd use just the linguica. The chorizo is quite hot and kinda one-dimensional, better for jambalaya.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I live in the Northeast and also have easy access to the types of sausage you guys are talking about. I have made gumbo and jambalaya with both of them and while it works it's just not quite as good as other things. Thankfully the best thing I have used is just whatever your cheap store brand kielbasa is. In my experience that is far better in gumbo or jambalaya than any of the chorizos or linguica. Those sausages are fantastic in their own right but I find that they are better with a short cook time or just roasted rather than sitting longer in something like many Cajun dishes.

I like to quick char chorzo and throw it on top of my red beans and rice for example

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you see this brand around, it’s worth your time.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I picked up a new crawfish boil setup

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Holy poo poo

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

JFC that's yours now? Goddamn.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Good now you can invite ALL of us over for crawfish!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Do you have a matching one for shrimp? Or do you reuse the crawfish one like some kinda plebe.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

GEEKABALL posted:

Good now you can invite ALL of us over for crawfish!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Evacuation gumbo. Had some crabmeat, 5 lbs of shrimp, and like 10 quarts of lobster/king crab stock in the freezer so I brought it with me. Don't want to lose that stuff bruh

It was good. Anyone in the cone of danger, be safe and good luck.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Evacuation gumbo. Had some crabmeat, 5 lbs of shrimp, and like 10 quarts of lobster/king crab stock in the freezer so I brought it with me. Don't want to lose that stuff bruh

It was good. Anyone in the cone of danger, be safe and good luck.

Looks fantastic.

Hope you and yours are safe. Couple family friends in Thibodaux / Houma area got the gently caress out last night. One family in Raceland decided to ride it out... we are all holding our breath for them.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

We should be ok. We’re in central LA with a whole home generator and lots of booze. We were going to stay, but yesterday morning we changed our minds based on the modeling and gut feeling. I have a generator at home but it’s not a whole home—I didn’t feel like riding it out with no power for a week or more.

Hopefully it won’t come to that.

Raceland might be nasty…

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

We should be ok. We’re in central LA with a whole home generator and lots of booze. We were going to stay, but yesterday morning we changed our minds based on the modeling and gut feeling. I have a generator at home but it’s not a whole home—I didn’t feel like riding it out with no power for a week or more.

Hopefully it won’t come to that.

Raceland might be nasty…

Glad to hear! I spent many a hurricane evac in Alexandria with extended family just grilling and drinking, good memories of those really.

I got hit by Henri up here in RI last week, 3 days without power, was nostalgic and annoying.

No clue why they decided to stay, they have been through everything and have always been pretty smart / sensible. I guess they feel pretty good about where they live. Not gonna sleep good until I hear from them tonight though.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I rode out Gustav in BR and it sucked. All the indications were that this was going to be worse so I would have GTFO too if I was still there.

One of our friends evacuated her 90-something year old grandmother from Bourg to her apartment in BR. Kinda worried about what they might find when they go back.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Last updates from anyone was around 1am but things were still holding together / not Flooded in the Houma / Gray / Raceland area for both houses I am keeping up with.

From what I can tell neither place should be flooded.

Some levees in mid/upper Plaquemines parish topped over last night, no word on lower plaquemines (my old home) at all. :ohdear:

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Has anyone here cooked the 'red beans & rice with ham hocks and smoked andouille sausage', straight out of Chef Paul's cookbook? I've long used the recipe for red beans and rice on the Goons with Spoons wiki (https://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice) and it's always so amazing. I can't wait to go back for leftovers.

But for fun I wanted to attempt Chef Paul's recipe to a tee. I ordered the sausage and hocks from Jacob's in LaPlace as well as the red beans. All the ingredients looked and smelled incredible even vacuum sealed. But the end result was pretty loving bad. The recipe calls for 3.5 - 4 lbs of hocks. I put in 4 lbs which was 7 hocks. They just threw out so much fat and gelatin and really mucked up the dish. The whole thing was kind of thick and murky and really not very flavorful even. The recipe also calls for using a poo poo load of water instead of a stock and the whole taste is kind of thin.

I'm confident I followed the ingredients, amounts, and timing to a tee. I did it as sort of an experiment but I fully expected it to be delicious. Yet I'm pretty sure I hate it and I loathe the thought of how much unwanted leftovers I have in my fridge. Anyone have any thoughts?

Rand Ecliptic fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 26, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd honestly never looked at Chef Paul's recipe before until you brought it up here since I had one already but... yeah I don't like it. At most I just used one ham hock in the pot and left it at that.

In this short video he doesn't even mention ham hocks, just tasso and andoullie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X8OHExY3zA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Has anyone here cooked the 'red beans & rice with ham hocks and smoked andouille sausage', straight out of Chef Paul's cookbook? I've long used the recipe for red beans and rice on the Goons with Spoons wiki (https://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice) and it's always so amazing. I can't wait to go back for leftovers.

Recipe sounds good, but none of the pictures load?

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Yeah, I don't know about that. I guess the pictures the author uploaded are gone. It's been 13 years since they first published it. The pics weren't really necessary as I recall, though one did show their pet tortoise nibbling on a stalk of celery which was pretty cute.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Rand Ecliptic posted:

But for fun I wanted to attempt Chef Paul's recipe to a tee. I ordered the sausage and hocks from Jacob's in LaPlace as well as the red beans. All the ingredients looked and smelled incredible even vacuum sealed. But the end result was pretty loving bad. The recipe calls for 3.5 - 4 lbs of hocks. I put in 4 lbs which was 7 hocks. They just threw out so much fat and gelatin and really mucked up the dish. The whole thing was kind of thick and murky and really not very flavorful even. The recipe also calls for using a poo poo load of water instead of a stock and the whole taste is kind of thin.

I'm confident I followed the ingredients, amounts, and timing to a tee. I did it as sort of an experiment but I fully expected it to be delicious. Yet I'm pretty sure I hate it and I loathe the thought of how much unwanted leftovers I have in my fridge. Anyone have any thoughts?
Seven ham hocks sounds about right - for four or five pounds of beans.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Yeah, I don't know about that. I guess the pictures the author uploaded are gone. It's been 13 years since they first published it. The pics weren't really necessary as I recall, though one did show their pet tortoise nibbling on a stalk of celery which was pretty cute.

The internet provides with pictures! That tortoise :3:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

what a cutie

Only thing I dont like about many red beans recipes with sausage is that they put in all the sausage early on. I find this mostly just cooks down to mush and you end up with kind of bland sausage-ish chunks in the end. Instead if I want the flavor from the sausage to be incorporated entirely I take a small portion of sausage and cube it up and brown it in the pan to develop some fond then cook my onions and aromatics etc after with the sausage left in, then I add in the rest during the last 20 mins of cooking.

Or, I just toss in the sausage in the last 20 mins.

Half the time I make red beans its as a vegetarian option so I just grill or smoke some sausages and slice up on the side to let the carnivores add it along with green onion etc.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I remember a few years ago going to a place that served the red beans and rice around a spicy sausage patty and honestly it's the best way I've had it. I should really start replicating that at home.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

TheKingslayer posted:

I remember a few years ago going to a place that served the red beans and rice around a spicy sausage patty and honestly it's the best way I've had it. I should really start replicating that at home.
That sounds really good. I'm going to give that a try next time I do 'em.

Anyone have favorites for the red beans they use? I just get red kidneys from the Food Lion, cuz that's all we have around here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

That sounds really good. I'm going to give that a try next time I do 'em.

Anyone have favorites for the red beans they use? I just get red kidneys from the Food Lion, cuz that's all we have around here.

Camelia are nice but tbh I usually just use whatever I can get in bulk.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I personally like "small red beans" for red beans & rice. They cook a bit faster and are less dense than kidneys. Means you don't have to cook for ages to get some nice soft beans. Should be able to get them dried pretty much anywhere, look in the hispanic section for the goya dry beans.

Also my RB&R top tip: also get 1 can of small red beans, drain & add to the pot once everything is simmering. Canned beans are already pre-cooked, so they turn into the smooth bean-mush way faster. It's a cheat to get creamy beans without cooking for ages.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Klyith posted:

I personally like "small red beans" for red beans & rice. They cook a bit faster and are less dense than kidneys. Means you don't have to cook for ages to get some nice soft beans. Should be able to get them dried pretty much anywhere, look in the hispanic section for the goya dry beans.

Also my RB&R top tip: also get 1 can of small red beans, drain & add to the pot once everything is simmering. Canned beans are already pre-cooked, so they turn into the smooth bean-mush way faster. It's a cheat to get creamy beans without cooking for ages.

You can also overnight or quick soak and then pressure cook them for 20-30 mins if you want to get them real soft and starting to break down and don't have canned ones.

I do this more for refried beans but it works for reds also.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trying that red beans recipe, but drat some measurements wouldn’t hurt.

EDIT: came out great, eventually. Next time I wouldn’t add the bitters like the recipe says though. Ended up putting a tablespoon of sugar in to balance out and that worked.

(This is actually seconds, the first bowl vanished so fast I didn’t get to take a photo)

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 3, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

IT'S CRAWDAD SEASON YALL :getin:

News has been reporting that crawfish are gonna be plentiful and relatively cheap this year compared to years past. I'm thinking about picking up a whole bunch throughout the season either to make stuff with or eat by themselves as part of a high-protein meal.

Since I don't normally buy crawfish live, I'm wondering about how many lbs of meat do you normally get per lb of crawfish?

Also what's considered a good price for live crawfish in the gulf states? I went to a place earlier today that told me they'd just sold 20 lbs to someone for like $3.50 or $3.99 a lb; I didn't get a price on any smaller amounts but I'm guessing something like 3 to 5 lbs might only be around $2 or $3 higher than that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Someone is likely more qualified to answer most of your questions, but you should really get The Crawfish App

https://www.thecrawfishapp.com/

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

IT'S CRAWDAD SEASON YALL :getin:

News has been reporting that crawfish are gonna be plentiful and relatively cheap this year compared to years past. I'm thinking about picking up a whole bunch throughout the season either to make stuff with or eat by themselves as part of a high-protein meal.

Since I don't normally buy crawfish live, I'm wondering about how many lbs of meat do you normally get per lb of crawfish?

Also what's considered a good price for live crawfish in the gulf states? I went to a place earlier today that told me they'd just sold 20 lbs to someone for like $3.50 or $3.99 a lb; I didn't get a price on any smaller amounts but I'm guessing something like 3 to 5 lbs might only be around $2 or $3 higher than that.

I don’t know the meat ratio but I usually get 5-7 lbs per person, a bit more (7-10) if they’re crawfish fans.

As for price, it’s still early so those prices aren’t unusual but as the season progresses and more crawfish are available I’m usually happy with $1.50-$1.75 per pound, usually buying sacks with anywhere from 40-60 lbs in them.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 29, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I. M. Gei posted:

1 pound of meat for around 6 pounds of crawfish in shell. There is…a lot of shell.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

TheKingslayer posted:

Someone is likely more qualified to answer most of your questions, but you should really get The Crawfish App

https://www.thecrawfishapp.com/

How did I not know about this? :stwoon:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Experimented making grits for shrimp and grits with a crawfish stock. I'll have to put that in the failure pile. Turned out a weird color and the flavor just wasn't working with anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Y'all I KNOW there is a better way to pull the meat out of boiled crawfish tails than going down the entire length of the tail and slowly prying every single piece of shell off the length of the meat with my fingernails.

I just ate 3 lbs of crawfish for lunch and had to do this on literally every single one of them, because the meat just wouldn't slide out any other way I tried and the waitress I talked to didn't know how to do it. It's been so long since I last ate whole crawfish that I forgot how to peel them. Took me over an hour to eat it all. Still delicious as gently caress though.