Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The bit in the Wikipedia article about all the plants dying off in 500 million years or so is really sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So you're saying Satan is packin?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

how on earth are these people eating corn on the cob

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I used to worry a lot about all of my guts sloshing around inside of my body, because I learned all the basic anatomy before anyone thought to tell me about connective tissue.

Aha, yes, I certainly didn't low-key stress about this for years and years and years, haha.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I always wanted to read a story about a vampire or some other immortal person who's outlived everyone on Earth but is stuck there and hosed due to the Sun's slow but eventual end.

Not quite the same but there was a manga series a couple of years ago called Fire Punch that took place on a future Earth where sometimes people are born with powers and the main character had the ability to regenerate from any wound, no matter how severe or how often he was injured. The series ends with the main character floating around in space because the Earth eventually blows up after it is hit by a big enough asteroid.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Biplane posted:

Someone told my nephew about black holes when he was like 4 or 5 and he had nightmares about them for over a year. :(

My daughter got a book that casually mentions someone getting bitten on the finger by a clam as like, a joke, and it freaked her the gently caress out. For months she'd ask me to make sure "cuh-lams" don't get her, etc. This had died down for a while by the time she was like 3 and one day at dinner she's just just giving very serious consideration to our front door. She looks at me and says "daddy, it's a good thing the front door is locked. So no cuh-lams can get in."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
my dad once told me that if I got bitten by a cockroach, I'd turn into a cockroach boy

I believed this for years

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

My daughter got a book that casually mentions someone getting bitten on the finger by a clam as like, a joke, and it freaked her the gently caress out. For months she'd ask me to make sure "cuh-lams" don't get her, etc. This had died down for a while by the time she was like 3 and one day at dinner she's just just giving very serious consideration to our front door. She looks at me and says "daddy, it's a good thing the front door is locked. So no cuh-lams can get in."

Have you explained to your daughter what a clam is and that it is not capable of terrestrial locomotion?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Have you explained to your daughter what a clam is and that it is not capable of terrestrial locomotion?

I've got some very bad news for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBx0IKBn9vc

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh yes, many times. I also explained that clams don't really bite, and that it's just generally a good idea to never stick your finger in an animal's mouth no matter what animal it is. 2-3 year olds are often irrational.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

OwlFancier posted:

Ahem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBx0IKBn9vc

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

The bit in the Wikipedia article about all the plants dying off in 500 million years or so is really sad :(
Yeah, it's weird that we're a decent way past the half-way point of life on Earth.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh yes, many times. I also explained that clams don't really bite, and that it's just generally a good idea to never stick your finger in an animal's mouth no matter what animal it is. 2-3 year olds are often irrational.

Yeah my little brother was terrified of killer whales after going to sea world. Since we lived near a body of water he was for sure that whale was going to jump out of the water and kill him.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Acebuckeye13 posted:

my dad once told me that if I got bitten by a cockroach, I'd turn into a cockroach boy

This can happen, but only under rare circumstances. Check out the educational game "Bad Mojo" for more information

pelao
Apr 21, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Not quite the same but there was a manga series a couple of years ago called Fire Punch that took place on a future Earth where sometimes people are born with powers and the main character had the ability to regenerate from any wound, no matter how severe or how often he was injured. The series ends with the main character floating around in space because the Earth eventually blows up after it is hit by a big enough asteroid.

There's this Le Guin story too:
https://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/the-island-of-the-immortals/

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Stexils posted:

how on earth are these people eating corn on the cob

deep throat it and scrape the kernels off with your teeth

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My dad's go-to when tucking me in was "now go to sleep straight away or the Great Big Screwdriver will come out of the sky and unscrew your belly button and your bum will fall off."

Which is as hilarious to me as an adult as it was terrifying to me as a child.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Breetai posted:

My dad's go-to when tucking me in was "now go to sleep straight away or the Great Big Screwdriver will come out of the sky and unscrew your belly button and your bum will fall off."

Which is as hilarious to me as an adult as it was terrifying to me as a child.

Your dad had to have been high when he said that.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Zil posted:

Your dad had to have been high when he said that.

It's the punch line of a long joke about a child born with a golden screw instead of a belly button. His bum falling off is just the bathos at the end.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Well some of them are built so that the bum doesn't fall off at all.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

When I first heard about cancer (by seeing a movie about a person with it randomly and asking what it was about) my understanding of the explanation was that "if you have cancer, (one of) your inner organs will start duplicating until you die. You know, like "my liver is rapidly becoming multiple livers and I'm swelling up, potentially exploding"; I was certain that night that I had cancer and my parents had to console me about that. I probably also told this to other kids at the kindergarten.

Funny pic:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hempuli posted:

"my liver is rapidly becoming multiple livers and I'm swelling up, potentially exploding"

https://i.imgur.com/xpJ1rp7.mp4

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Is your name Gregor by any chance?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Existential crisis cockroach boy could have totally been a nineties underground comix.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Hempuli posted:

Funny pic:

My grandfather died at the Battle of Horngrad

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hempuli posted:

Funny pic:

D&D 6e's alignment chart looks fresh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I used to worry a lot about all of my guts sloshing around inside of my body, because I learned all the basic anatomy before anyone thought to tell me about connective tissue.

I also learned about sharks’ many rows of teeth, and then started worrying about if they could grow more, and if not how sad it would be for an old shark on its last row of teeth having to wander around the ocean, starving to death with no teeth.

These were when I was 19 and 30, respectively (also way stoned)

This actually happens to koalas.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I was maybe 7 or 8 when I first learned about black holes. I don't know if I saw this in a show, or if an adult told it to me and I just believed them, or if I just assumed it was true from what I had been told, but I was amazed and astounded by the idea that a space ship entering it would experience such intense gravitational forces that one end of the ship would be disintegrated before the the other end even knew it was in the black hole. I thought it was kind of awesome and it never caused me any distress.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Just knowing black holes exist causes me intense dread, space sucks poo poo

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Space is scary as hell to my tiny earthbound mind

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ultra-massive black holes are the mary sues of astronomical bodies. Oh wow, you're unfathomably denser than any matter I'll ever encounter, and also ten times bigger than my entire solar system? Wooow, I'm so impressed

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Eat my entire supermassive black hole

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Zil posted:

Yeah my little brother was terrified of killer whales after going to sea world. Since we lived near a body of water he was for sure that whale was going to jump out of the water and kill him.

It probably didn’t help that we call them KILLER whales

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Country Satanists make do

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hempuli posted:

When I first heard about cancer (by seeing a movie about a person with it randomly and asking what it was about) my understanding of the explanation was that "if you have cancer, (one of) your inner organs will start duplicating until you die. You know, like "my liver is rapidly becoming multiple livers and I'm swelling up, potentially exploding"; I was certain that night that I had cancer and my parents had to console me about that. I probably also told this to other kids at the kindergarten.

This happened to me too when I saw a video of some kind about heart attacks or arrhythmia or something; it was an internal camera view of a sheep's heart beating all erratically, and the narrator was this deep-voiced guy who I distinctly remember saying "... And that is what will happen to this sheep. The heart has lost its beat." Boy I didn't get a lot of sleep that night, carefully timing my heartbeats which were all weird and fast because I was freaked out

muscles like this! posted:

L. Frank Baum in the Oz books kept going into weird obsessive detail about how all the characters in his world were immortal, like truly immortal, like unkillable — to the point where if you cut one of them up into little bitty cubes of meat, then all the individual cubes of meat would still be alive, and you could come back later and stick them all back together again and the person would be good as new.

Made me wonder just what kind of things occupied the minds of people in the 1900s. Like one time when I read about inventions by kids from like 1943; they were all about war. One was an "Iron Man", a giant metal hollow man that could carry 1000 soldiers onto the battlefield

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

It probably didn’t help that we call them KILLER whales

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR0Ubck0IRA

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Made me wonder just what kind of things occupied the minds of people in the 1900s. Like one time when I read about inventions by kids from like 1943; they were all about war. One was an "Iron Man", a giant metal hollow man that could carry 1000 soldiers onto the battlefield

Well there was a world war going on at the time, I'm sure that took up a lot of headspace, especially with kids.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Data Graham posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.