Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Found some cute glasses at the goodwill today

Those glasses own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Going to make a French 75 today, might replace the simple syrup with some elderflower liquor for some "depth".

1.5oz gin
.5oz lemon juice freshly squeezed
.5oz St. Germain
3oz champagne

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Ahh the old French 77

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

One of my favorite bars in Reno serves French 75s in Imperial pint glasses. I find that this says a lot about Reno.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One of my favorite bars in Reno serves French 75s in Imperial pint glasses. I find that this says a lot about Reno.

This is both awesome and terrifying at the same time.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

prayer group posted:

Gotta step up to defend yellow Chartreuse here. It's better than Strega and Galliano and whatever else you'd put in its category. My wife likes it more than the green stuff, and it's necessary to make an Alaska, one of her favorite drinks. Try one if you need to be convinced of yellow Chartreuse's merits:

Alaska
2oz London dry gin
1oz yellow Chartreuse
2 dashes orange bitters
Stir, coupe, lemon twist.

Is this a Chartreuse martini? Yes. Is it unnecessarily boozy? Yes. Does it taste like a sumptuous mouthful of delicate flower petals? Absolutely. If it's a little too intense for you, you might do like I do sometimes and split the Chartreuse with a dry sherry. Dries the drink out nicely and adds some extra complexity.

When I saw the yellow chartreuse hate I was gonna post an Alaska, because you just can't make it with green. Anyone unconvinced should try this drink, it's delightful. (And the idea to throw in some fino or whatever seems great to me!)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

Like I said, I don't think it's a particularly good drink to begin with, but I also think it's a case where the modern trend of "well we'll just assume it's better with stronger "better" stuff in it" does the drink no favors at all.

Piggy backing off this, is Cynar 70 worth it? I have been living regular Cynar a lot but keep not buying the heftier abv bottle.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cynar 70 rules. It's not a blanket "better than cynar" but it's an excellent product.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

All Cynar is good Cynar.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Fart Car '97 posted:

Cynar 70 rules. It's not a blanket "better than cynar" but it's an excellent product.

I didn't know this was a thing and now I must find it. I want to make the heftiest boulevardier I can work with. Granddad 114 makes an excellent base and is cheap enough to make me not cringe for mixing.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I've been messing around with the Fourth Regiment that was posted a few pages back and I'm really liking it. Several of the recipes I've seen use Peychaud's instead of Ango or say that either works and I think I prefer the Peychaud's. I'm not sure if the dasher top on my Fee Bros Celery Bitters puts out a bigger dash than my other bitters bottles' (I probably need to get some Japanese dasher bottles for consistency) but I like it better with a wimpy dash of the celery bitters. I also think that the lemon twist that most recipes call for is pretty clutch to balance the savory of the celery. Rittenhouse and Cocchi Torino for the base.

Very sophisticated and tasty riff on the Manhattan, thanks for sharing it OP.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fee brothers bitters should never be considered an appropriate analogue to a bitters called for in a recipe. They just do not taste anything like proper bitters because they're glycerine based. With the exception of a few of the fruit based ones, they're just kinda gross.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I guess I didn't comment earlier, but I always buy the Cynar 70. It's really good in cocktails, delicious as a highball, and is only $20/liter locally.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Fart Car '97 posted:

Fee brothers bitters should never be considered an appropriate analogue to a bitters called for in a recipe. They just do not taste anything like proper bitters because they're glycerine based. With the exception of a few of the fruit based ones, they're just kinda gross.

The only other Fee Bros that I've tried were their cherry bitters and they tasted really artificial but it was the only celery option at my usual shop. I don't really have a basis for comparison for celery bitters but thought they tasted pretty okay, like a less salty/savory Worcestershire sauce with more celery seed. Any particular brand worth looking for? Bitter Truth?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I was in the city yesterday hanging out with a friend and figured I'd swing by the big liquor store I used to work at in college to see if I could find a few things that I can't buy in my little town (that being almost everything that's not whiskey or vodka). I found a bunch of stuff and on a whim I picked up a heavily clearanced bottle of BarSol Pisco that had been sitting on the shelf for many years. Is it worth drinking or have I basically purchased Peruvian Grappa?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey I bought Armenian brandy for a party because I had told people about chacha, it wasn’t remotely the same thing and the bottle was in a box with an inch of dust on it

And everyone had to drink it out of solo cups that were reused from something previous so it was all cloudy

But it was an experience and that’s what matters

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

I was in the city yesterday hanging out with a friend and figured I'd swing by the big liquor store I used to work at in college to see if I could find a few things that I can't buy in my little town (that being almost everything that's not whiskey or vodka). I found a bunch of stuff and on a whim I picked up a heavily clearanced bottle of BarSol Pisco that had been sitting on the shelf for many years. Is it worth drinking or have I basically purchased Peruvian Grappa?
BarSol is fine stuff. It isn't the best but I'd never hesitate to use it in any application that calls for Pisco.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yep. Make a pisco sour. Not a lot that I can think of off the top of my head calls for pisco otherwise but it’s a fun sub for rhum agricole/cachaça, tequila, or brandy.

-

Armenian brandy is fun and can be not terrible. What brand did you buy?

-

To the goon asking about celery bitters: Scrappy’s. (And yeah, unfortunately Fees are not great. Is the whiskey barrel aged Fees still considers good? I remember a hype train around them a while back and never got a bottle.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Scythe posted:

Armenian brandy is fun and can be not terrible. What brand did you buy?

Ararat, I don’t remember what variety. I certainly wasn’t expecting a brown liquor.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Julie Reiner's Cuzco is a good Pisco drink:

2 oz Pisco, Barsol
3⁄4 oz Aperol
3⁄4 oz Simple syrup
1⁄2 oz Lemon juice
1⁄2 oz Grapefruit juice
1 rinse Kirschwasser
1 twst Grapefruit peel (as garnish)

If you have some fino around I've always served a Pisco/Fino collins that's been well received:

1 Pisco
1 Fino
1 dash ango
1/2 Simple
3/4 Lemon
Soda

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 23, 2021

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Scythe posted:

Yep. Make a pisco sour. Not a lot that I can think of off the top of my head calls for pisco otherwise but it’s a fun sub for rhum agricole/cachaça, tequila, or brandy.

If you want to use it all in one go, try doing an infusion and making Little Birdy cocktails, from Death & Co.

chop up 2 cups ea strawberries and pineapple and mix it with a bottle of pisco, let it infuse for about 5 days

then strain it and use the mix to make the Little Birdy cocktail:

2 oz strawberry-pineapple pisco
3/4 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz st germain
1 tsp simple syrup

I usually make it in batches and bring it to parties or the beach. Maybe this is not at all what you were looking for, but if you want to share it with others, this is an absolute top tier crowd-pleaser drink

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

my kinda ape posted:

Pisco sour, obviously, as another goon has said. I also like this one:

Autumn Leaves

1 oz pisco
1 oz drambuie
1/4 oz campari
1/4 oz lime juice

Stir over ice, serve in coup or cocktail glass. The original recipe suggests a lime twist and orange wedge as garnish.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

PISCO PUNCH

sadly the original recipe from the 1850's is lost. there are many approximations but even turn of the century drinkers knew something was missing. And we will never know.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Thank you all for your Pisco recommendations. Glad to know it's not garbage!

I made a Bijou tonight and while it was very interesting I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't particularly like sweet vermouth. Or at least I don't particularly like the Martini & Rossi Rosso I've been using. Are red/sweet vermouths generally pretty similar or should I give a different brand a chance?

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

my kinda ape posted:

Thank you all for your Pisco recommendations. Glad to know it's not garbage!

I made a Bijou tonight and while it was very interesting I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't particularly like sweet vermouth. Or at least I don't particularly like the Martini & Rossi Rosso I've been using. Are red/sweet vermouths generally pretty similar or should I give a different brand a chance?

Dolin is pretty common and good at least in a Negroni, imo

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Ararat, I don’t remember what variety. I certainly wasn’t expecting a brown liquor.

Armenian friends are consistently making gifts of this to me. Which is good, because it's good! I'd place it above California brandies for sure, though not quite there with most cognacs. The 10 year is pretty good for sipping. The 5 year is great in cocktails where you're using brandy, like a sazerac, old fashioned, black rider, sidecar, or vieux carre.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I have also withdrawn my support of fee brothers bitters. I've got the local "mah hometown" edge but yeah just get angostura or peychaud's for most applications.

That being said, their Aztec chocolate bitters are fantastic and are pairing nicely with whiskey.

gently caress the remaining flavors.

What are good black walnut brands?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

You should try a different brand (Dolin was a good rec), but also: how old is your bottle, and how are you storing it? Sweet vermouth can oxidize (cardboard flavor) pretty badly if it's open and warm or exposed to sunlight. You should be keeping unopened bottles in a cool, dark place and opened bottles in the fridge, and buying bottles small enough that you can use them up in a couple of weeks once open. I think a lot of people think they don't like vermouth and just have only had dusty old spoiled garbage.

Missing Name posted:

That being said, their Aztec chocolate bitters are fantastic and are pairing nicely with whiskey.

Maybe, but I bet Bittermens xocolatl mole are better (haven't had those Fee's, though).

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Took the plunge and got some Cynar, thanks in part for this thread. It's really good, more successful than most of my amaro purchases. Anybody got a list of the Cynar cocktails? Don't need ingredients just some examples. Thinking Artichoke Hold, that simple Cognac one someone posted, etc.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Scythe posted:

You should try a different brand (Dolin was a good rec), but also: how old is your bottle, and how are you storing it? Sweet vermouth can oxidize (cardboard flavor) pretty badly if it's open and warm or exposed to sunlight. You should be keeping unopened bottles in a cool, dark place and opened bottles in the fridge, and buying bottles small enough that you can use them up in a couple of weeks once open. I think a lot of people think they don't like vermouth and just have only had dusty old spoiled garbage.

It's probably a week and a half old, tastes the same as when I opened it and it has been in the fridge any time I haven't been using it. I haven't used a vacuum sealing topper but I have one on the way. No idea how long it was sitting at the liquor store but the bottle doesn't look old or dusty and it was sealed normally. 375ml bottle which is the smallest they had.

I don't think it tastes anything like cardboard and I can see how people might like it, it's quite complex. I just don't seem to really enjoy the flavor myself. I've made 4-5 drinks with it hoping it would grow on me but it doesn't seem to have made much progress. I'll definitely try another brand when I get the chance though, maybe it's just a Pepsi vs Coke kind of thing :v:

In the mean time I've got Martini & Rossi extra dry and a blanco vermouth from a different brand to try out.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 23, 2021

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Ah, legit, sounds like you're doing the right things (and you don't need to go nuts with a vacuum sealer as long as you're drinking it within a few weeks).

Try Dolin and see how that treats you. Also paradoxically I think another good way to get into vermouth is to just drink it (which is pretty normal to do before dinner in Spain and Italy): do a big pour over rocks, add a twist or an olive or both as a garnish.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Comb Your Beard posted:

Took the plunge and got some Cynar, thanks in part for this thread. It's really good, more successful than most of my amaro purchases. Anybody got a list of the Cynar cocktails? Don't need ingredients just some examples. Thinking Artichoke Hold, that simple Cognac one someone posted, etc.

I don't remember where I found this but it's a Negroni variation I liked:

REMEMBER THE ALIMONY
Dan Greenbaum

1 ¼ oz fino sherry (can substitute dry vermouth)
1 ¼ oz Cynar
¾ oz Beefeater gin
Garnish: orange twist

In the same vein, there's the Oaxacan Tricycle and the Midnight Marauder, the latter is created by Joaquín Simó.

Too Soon? is an interesting Cynar cocktail by Sam Ross of Attaboy, NY.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The other day, my girlfriend made some pickled watermelon rind. I decided to try highlighting them in a cocktail, and was surprised to find a recipe from the McCormick spice company (trying to push their pickling spices,) that involved using the pickling brine alongside gin and Midori.

It’s kind of intriguing. The ratio is definitely off, and I’m wondering if it maybe needs some lime juice. But there’s something cool there in the way that the vinegar offsets the Midori. At the spec that it’s at now, it tastes peculiarly over-balanced. Everything kind of neutralizes one another, though part of the effect of that is that the natural melon flavor of Midori is uplifted from its usual candy sweetness.

1 part gin
1 part pickled watermelon brine
2 parts midori
Shake with ice, pour over fresh ice

Add a handful of cubed pickled watermelon rind and top with soda water.

I’d like to mess with this a little more, but I’m saving my Midori to make stupid Halloween drinks.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

pickled watermelon rind.... a recipe from the McCormick spice company ... using the pickling brine alongside gin and Midori.

God drat what a rollercoster ride of a sentence

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Anonymous Robot posted:

The other day, my girlfriend made some pickled watermelon rind. I decided to try highlighting them in a cocktail, and was surprised to find a recipe from the McCormick spice company (trying to push their pickling spices,) that involved using the pickling brine alongside gin and Midori.

It’s kind of intriguing. The ratio is definitely off, and I’m wondering if it maybe needs some lime juice. But there’s something cool there in the way that the vinegar offsets the Midori. At the spec that it’s at now, it tastes peculiarly over-balanced. Everything kind of neutralizes one another, though part of the effect of that is that the natural melon flavor of Midori is uplifted from its usual candy sweetness.

1 part gin
1 part pickled watermelon brine
2 parts midori
Shake with ice, pour over fresh ice

Add a handful of cubed pickled watermelon rind and top with soda water.

I’d like to mess with this a little more, but I’m saving my Midori to make stupid Halloween drinks.

Yeah I tried this with our pickled watermelon rind brine and there’s definitely the kernel of a good idea in there but what’s written is weird tasting.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Huh. So you’re doing 2oz Midori, 1oz gin, 1oz brine? That’s a hell of a lot of Midori. I would probably rebalance the drink to make the gin the spirit base, then dial back the brine and supplement it with some lime juice so that it’s not the only source of acidity, which I think may be one of the issues you’re having. Try something like:

1.5oz gin
.75 midori
.5 lime
.5 brine

and see how that treats you.

e: also, shake it. Are you shaking it?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm making up a milk washed punch in part thanks to this thread and I'd love some thoughts/feedback on what I got so far.

2 cups sugar
2 oranges
6 lemons + 2 for juice after
1 pineapple
1? Cup coffee liqueur
.5? Cup triple sec
4? Cups rum
1.5 cup? hot coffee or cold brew

Process wise:

Oleo orange and lemon
Add pineapple + citrus juice (cinnamon?) Steep overnight
Then add coffee liqueur + triple sec/Curacao
Add white and dark rum + coffee
Let sit
Strain
Add in some more lemon juice
Add to milk
Filter
Smile

Carillon fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 4, 2021

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also too clarify my concerns, I want it to be coffee forward without taking on the profile of an Irish coffee if that makes sense. I'm worried adding a bunch of coffee before I clarify will make coffee dominate, but I don't want coffee to be too far from the front.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I think you're over-thinking your order of operations here. It makes sense to do your first 2 steps as you are if you're trying to let the cinnamon infuse overnight, but the rest of it is over-complicated.

Just combine all your syrups/citrus/booze/modifiers together and get them cold.

Get your milk warm, then dump the milk into the cold punch for a nice curdle.

Use cold brew. Hot coffee gets bitter and flat if you chill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does Cynar contain red food coloring?