Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gradenko_2000 posted:

the CIA planted dengue fever in Cuba and now it's endemic to Florida

I read more about this. Apparently it's still hitting Cuba much harder, which is sad. Eduardo Arocena was recently released from prison for health reasons, funny how that doesn't happen for everyone at risk of getting covid in American prisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

crepeface posted:

trying to recall how perth handled the delta outbreak

Yeah the fewer lockdowns you have the fewer people go "gently caress it I'm gonna suck and gently caress anyway," and/or move to the Gold Coast for unrestricted sucking and loving.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chamale posted:

I read more about this. Apparently it's still hitting Cuba much harder, which is sad. Eduardo Arocena was recently released from prison for health reasons, funny how that doesn't happen for everyone at risk of getting covid in American prisons.

not true, michael avenatti was released from prison

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

people are still allowed to take their masks off in large groups indoors (and with delta probably outdoors) and shovel poo poo into their faces?

We are doing that for eateries in Singapore for a week now for the vaxxed. I'm suuuuuuuuure nothing will go wrong

And LMAO when our national infectious disease expert praised the US for getting covid under control over the radio back in June

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Lovelyn posted:

TBH I envisioned the same thing: military rolls in and gives them two options, a jab in the arm or a trip to the slammer (or better yet house arrest with ankle monitor)

From what I understand this is how it was back in the smallpox days. Vaccine or go to jail, and first order of business at the jail was a smallpox inoculation. Don't want any outbreaks at the jail, after all!

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

another lockdown recipe for the covid thread to try

https://twitter.com/violentlyepic/status/1429491716030046213

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Sphyre posted:

another lockdown recipe for the covid thread to try

https://twitter.com/violentlyepic/status/1429491716030046213

It's nice to see an invader Zim golem from a Hot Topic 2006 come to life and begin a social media presence. It means we all have a better chance in life than we originally thought

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ScienceMagazine/status/1417485718511890446

quote:

Masitinib treatment resulted in a greater than two-log reduction in viral titers in the lungs and nose on day six (Fig. 4, B and C). It further improved overall lung pathology (as blindly assessed by a veterinarian pathologist; Fig. 4, E and F) and significantly reduced the concentrations of key proinflammatory cytokines [such as interleukin-1β (IL-1β) and interferon-γ (IFN-γ)] in the lungs (Fig. 4G). Further, we observed improvements in survival (Fig. 4D), weight loss (fig. S10B), and clinical scores (fig. S10C) with masitinib treatment. Taken together, our results show that masitinib is effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 viral load in mice (reducing >99% of the viral load on day six), that it reduced inflammatory signatures, and that it showed potential benefits for survival and clinical scores.

Author of the study:

https://twitter.com/NirDrayman/status/1417486490356101137

McNugget Buddy fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 23, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Glumwheels posted:

People who have kids and love them don’t want to gamble even if the “risk is small”. Also, the risk is small because many people have isolated their kids and kept them safe so as not to expose them. My kids have seen two other families with kids in 2 years and played with some neighborhood kids at the playground that we know. They’re are also very happy and not OCD like I am about cleaning and sanitizing. Even after the poo poo year and a half we’ve been through.
yeah the default 'kids aren't at as high a risk' is such bullshit. so many npi's and social distancing, etc. we've done as parents is the loving reason you dumb fucks. they talk as if kids are going to brunch, work, Living Their Life like other dumb fucks when they talk about them. just absurd levels of thought.
no you fucks, we've locked down social interactions and are taking zero loving risks
my kids haven't gone into a public indoor setting in 5 god drat months you fools

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

nice from horse paste to dog paste

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Why doesn't anyone seem to comprehend that none of the other pandemic hygiene measures make a poo poo's bit of difference if people are still allowed to take their masks off in large groups indoors (and with delta probably outdoors) and shovel poo poo into their faces?

We had a company picnic, socially distanced and masked, and then everyone sat down and started eating together at the loving tables.

Nothing else matters if you permit people to do this ffs

i was pretty surprised when i saw that, but tables had to be separated and i don't think dining with people outside your household was allowed... although i don't see that anywhere so i could be pulling that out of my rear end.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Google Butt posted:

gently caress it i'm in

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

crepeface posted:

i'm guessing that initial delta case in NZ infected a lot more than a handful of people based on the massive +10 jump the next day. have those cases been traced yet?

The index case wasn't the first one in the chain of spread so a lot of those (and the ones found since) will be ones before that guy.

https://www.health.govt.nz/news-media/media-releases/35-additional-community-cases-covid-19-3-new-cases-managed-isolation-facilities

From todays update:

quote:

Of the 107 cases in the cluster, 72 are already epidemiologically linked to other community cases identified in the outbreak. Investigations are continuing to determine whether and how the remaining 35 cases are linked to the outbreak, however most have a plausible link on initial assessment. For example, people were at a location of interest. We will continue to release this information and new locations of interest as it becomes available.

As of 8am today, 13,230 individual contacts have been identified – and this number will increase throughout the day, as records are fully processed.

The majority of these contacts are close contacts.

Of these contacts, 6,773 have been contacted by public health staff and are self-isolating, and 42% have had a test.

Work is underway to contact the remaining 6,457 contacts.

Our contact tracing capability is maxed out now so people at one of the 330+ locations of interest who haven't been contacted may be a problem if they aren't aware they are a contact.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work...ations-interest

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Schmeichy posted:

Look into mindfulness exercises or yoga breathing, it helps trick your body into relaxing. There's a video thing on Netflix that's a quick and easy way to see what it's like. https://youtu.be/H77PL7SlI1M
If you're like me and thought this was silly before trying it, absolutely give it a chance. It changed my life.

It'll help a little bit if you just try it once, and if you learn to habitually do these exercises, and then keep doing them, then it's like an always-available escape hatch for anxiety

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
So when should we expect the next huge wave that will cause all of civilization to come to a halt? This winter?

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Iverron posted:

Not sure what's up with Nebraska

Sorry if somebody beat me to this, but: Our loving murderous genocidal bastard of a governor is either refusing to publish that data, or to collect it at all, I forget which. :ssj:

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Chuka Umana posted:

So when should we expect the next huge wave that will cause all of civilization to come to a halt? This winter?
Aren't we already in it? Isn't Delta Re > 1 even when most of the population is vaccinated with universal masking and social distancing?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
humanity won’t halt because getting sick reduces your importance to society! The suffering are implicitly less important!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Crazypoops posted:

I've said it before but good drat are liberals loving bloodthirsty ghouls

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Chuka Umana posted:

we're cresting now
the rest of the schools across the nation will open up over the next 2 weeks
lol hospitals are already full of anti-vaxx fucks from out of state
what happens early sept when everyone else gets hit? 9/11 daily by 9/11 easily
the winter will play out worse than last year

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

nothing will come to a halt, see you at applebees, ignore the morgue trailers out back

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

COVID zero strategies are possible of course, but if you rely on highly idealistic and utopian ideals and methods that are far too unrealistic to be implemented even in the most perfect of governments and social institutions, all you get is disappointment.

Every nation and every culture is different. The US is not India, India is not New Zealand, New Zealand is not Australia etc etc. There are many methods to achieve proper COVID control, but it's so easy to think about "what if we do this?" without first figuring out "how do we do it?". The same methods cannot be applied to every country similarly. We as a country were unprepared for it due to our poor health and social infrastructure, and while it's easy to throw out solutions, these theoreticals don't matter much to the laborer trying to find his family's next meal without being beaten up by abusive police.

We are at a junction where if COVID doesn't kill you, hunger or something else will. I reckon we've probably passed that line a long time ago. The only thing that matters now is finding a way to do what we can with what we have now, and holding the government accountable for its past failings, and hold them accountable to do what they can now with the resources they have (don't hold your breathe that this will happen though).

Hindsight is 20/20, but if you can only afford enough food in your stomach to look in one direction, it might as well be forward.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

salient posted:

"these executive track MD/MPH assholes"

:swoon:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The lockdown strategy would have been promising had there not been more infectious variants. If no ones working who will pay the insurance premiums to keep it running ? Hospitals will eventually run out of working capital if you keep things locked down for so long without paying them

quote:

lockdown sounds nice on paper but is unsustainable.

look at the growth rates of the EU vs the US. They both printed a large amount of money to pay for their covid strategies. One stayed closed longer the other opened up.

There’s your Control and Treatment.

Paying people to stay at home is not a long term, sustainable solution. You already saw the consequences of it with the employment problems in tbe US

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Google Butt posted:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmao

https://twitter.com/Ditchwalk/status/1429671071775612928

for context, every year the incoming class at U of I waves from the stadium at the sick kids in the hospital overlooking it

for some reason that didn't happen last year, but this year......

they will of course be holding a special event for the 2024 class so they can make up for lost experiences :)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol. "paying people to stay home is not a sustainable long term solution because people will decide they don't want to work poo poo jobs"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is this d&d or reddit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/supermansings/status/1429316816220954625?s=21

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

hoax! fake news!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

o7

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

https://twitter.com/business/status/1428726540087463940?s=19

yeah we sure wouldn't be able to sustain some money printing for COVID measures. imagine the inflation!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

with universal masking and social distancing?

not in the US?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Casey Finnigan posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1428726540087463940?s=19

yeah we sure wouldn't be able to sustain some money printing for COVID measures. imagine the inflation!

im imagining it right now

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

at long last, covid is over. good thing we didn't allow it to stop us from opening schools. what a waste that would have been. now we get to watch cases and hospitalizations and death dwindle to zero in a matter of days. congratulations everyone, we did it!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol gotta hand it to them
at least they didn't waste hospital time/resources

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Insanite posted:

latest death panel podcast feels simpatico with this thread:

https://twitter.com/DeathPanel_/status/1428462333655924741?s=20

lots of angry oster bashing, among other things
about halfway through this and it's so loving good

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Google Butt posted:

if the horse paste is apple flavored because horses like apples does that mean the dog paste is flavored like literally any random thing on the floor

is it like those mystery candies with the random flavor except the mystery is like "sock" or "a stale potato chip" or "centipede" because i don't like those odds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

these stupid motherfuckers god damnit
lol remembering when cdc decided to just *not track* breakthrough cases early on