Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ChubbyChecker posted:

ah, looks like that you haven't seen the new rules. explaining why something happened is the same as approving it. there was a thread in qcs and everything

That’s not what happened but let yourself feel smug if it’s what you need to get through the day.

That guy has no idea what he’s talking about though, just to make things clear.

There are books on the subject which this guy clearly hasn’t read

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Technically, Hess was number 2 in the nazi party before he ran off to England, and after that it was Göring. But I have a hard time seeing either of those two coming out on top of the absolute clusterfuck that would be a succession crisis in nazi Germany. Maybe Göring, if he allied with Himmler and settled for being führer in name only.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Technically, Hess was number 2 in the nazi party before he ran off to England, and after that it was Göring.

And then Göring was kicked out of the party and placed in housearrest and Dönitz was appointed instead. Fun fact about Hess: He thought that Churchill was against the nazis because jews had hypnotized him.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Alhazred posted:

Fun fact about Hess: He thought that Churchill was against the nazis because jews had hypnotized him.

hess is a very interesting character. his, objectively insane plan to more or less steal a jet, fly directly into the most fortified airspace on the planet undetected and without navigation aids, sneak into scotland and somehow negotiate a peace with the british monarchy and several steps of this plan worked somehow? hitler flipped the gently caress out and had him loudly denounced in the press as a madman, while gobbels was like "there may be some propaganda problems telling everyone that your chosen second in command has always been crazy".

he definitely wasn't in a well state of mind as a POW, i suspect a lot of the nazi high command was suffering severe psychological problems by that point and hess was always kind of borderline? ranting about jewish psychic assaults and how his food was poisoned and so forth.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

It always boggles my mind that Hitler's deputy was alive and in prison until 1987. That's only half a year before I was born, talk about recent history

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

System Metternich posted:

It always boggles my mind that Hitler's deputy was alive and in prison until 1987. That's only half a year before I was born, talk about recent history

holy poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Heading back to Versailles, it really irks me when the prussian conquest of Alsace is treated as a liberation reversed by the big mean french.

Alsace fun facts:
Alsace-Lorraine (Elsŕss-Lodringa :argh:) is not a cultural and german thing, it's a colonial construction that did not include most of Lorraine
Alsace was culturally rather tied to France since the revolution, even though we still spoke alsatian then.
La Marseillaise was actually first sung in Sdrossburi, not Marseille
The Second Reich's teachers were harsher than the notoriously harsh french teachers in stomping out the local dialect
Reichsland Elsass-Lothringen was ruled directly from from Berlin, rather than having the autonomy of the other german states.
Prussian colonists were settled in Alsace

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

System Metternich posted:

When I was in school in Germany in the 80s, I would occasionally see this scruffy old guy walking around town in a sweatshirt proclaiming "Freiheit für Rudolf Hess". Funny thing, I think I remember seeing him in that well after Hess died.

Anyway, the best thing Hess' death gave us is this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLkPwxcIji0

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Zopotantor posted:

Anyway, the best thing Hess' death gave us is this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLkPwxcIji0

I was just gonna post this! I only learned that Hess lived so long after I heard that song and looked up who the Nazi in question was.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This is more TIL but apparently there is like a super-liberal Unitarian-like denomination of Latter-Day Saints founded by Joseph Smith's son whose name was also Joseph Smith but who was super-chill and reasonable compared to his dad and Brigham Young (like opposing plural marriage from the start) and is nicknamed "the pragmatic prophet":

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Christ

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith_III

quote:

The Community of Christ states that it recognizes that "perception of truth is always qualified by human nature and experience" and it therefore has not adopted an official religious creed.

Doctrinal statements by the church suggest that "because of our commitment to Christ and belief in the worth of all people and the value of community building, we dedicate our lives to the pursuit of peace and justice for all people."

The Community of Christ states that "God loves each of us equally and unconditionally. All persons have great worth and should be respected as creations of God with basic human rights. The willingness to love and the acceptance of others is essential to faithfulness to the gospel of Christ."

Recognizing that scripture has sometimes been used to marginalize and oppress classes of persons, the church accepted this statement into the Doctrine and Covenants in 2007: "It is not pleasing to God when any passage of scripture is used to oppress races, genders, or classes of human beings. Many violent acts have been committed against some of God's beloved children through the misuse of scripture. The church is called to confess and repent of such attitudes and practices."

The Community of Christ frequently notes that it has never sanctioned polygamy; it has always ordained persons of any race; it has no required creedal statement, asking only that people profess faith in Christ as a condition for baptism; it has accepted Trinitarian doctrine; it has been in dialogue with the National Council of Churches (NCC),[43] the World Council of Churches (WCC), and Christian Churches Together; and it has practiced open communion since 1994.

The church accepts non-celibate LGBT people.

The church has made a long-standing effort to de-mythologize its past, for example, by taking a pragmatic view of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith, both of which the church now views as inspired but imperfect.

Apparently he would have easily succeeded his father...had he not been 11 at his death. Talk about interesting alternate history. There's about a quarter million of them now which isn't nearly as small of a number I would have expected.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

This is more TIL but apparently there is like a super-liberal Unitarian-like denomination of Latter-Day Saints founded by Joseph Smith's son whose name was also Joseph Smith but who was super-chill and reasonable compared to his dad and Brigham Young (like opposing plural marriage from the start) and is nicknamed "the pragmatic prophet":

Apparently he would have easily succeeded his father...had he not been 11 at his death. Talk about interesting alternate history. There's about a quarter million of them now which isn't nearly as small of a number I would have expected.

Actually the schism between what would become the community of christ, or the reformed LDS church, and the mainstream LDS was based on the question of successorship. The RLDS went with Joe Smith III while the mainstream went with Brigham Young and hosed off to Utah. The fact that he was 11 didn't matter as it was primarily his mother who was the driving force in that regard.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Certainly wasn't the most damaging of churches to grow up in

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/agraybee/status/1416229172033343491?s=21

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A strange name, said "Ridgeon" who may be a cartoon pigeon

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A reverse Tiffany Problem, that’s really interesting

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That Jennifer comes from Guinevere is something of a revelation to me, but it makes sense.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ah she's of the Cornish Dubedats. Didn't know that :mmmhmm:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

girl dick energy posted:

That Jennifer comes from Guinevere is something of a revelation to me, but it makes sense.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

That’s just a normal history book.

lol where did you get your text

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

girl dick energy posted:

You pronounce it like gif

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol where did you get your text

It could be from either the D&D or GBS coronavirus threads. There’s no obvious recent provoking incident.

I have apparently been getting on someone’s nerves for a while. I appreciate that they found an image that continued the GameBoy theme of my old avatar.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Amazing to think that a few short decades later Mike Doughty would ride a bus with 27 Jennifers

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

girl dick energy posted:

I'm just Guine from the block

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Once and Future King has Guinevere be nicknamed Jenny.

Though British nobility have a tradition of names that are pronounced nothing like they're spelled.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Having endless slaves is kind of easy mode.

See: American history and prison labor.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/HISTORY/status/1006328812236361730?s=20

quote:

On the morning of January 28, 1986, a nation of viewers gave a collective gasp. Space Shuttle Challenger, the crown jewel of NASA’s ambitious shuttle program, had just exploded, leaving a telltale trail behind as it disintegrated into thin air. The disaster prompted an outpouring of national grief and raised serious questions about the safety of space flight.But if it weren’t for a historical fluke, something else may have been lost that day—Big Bird.

A beloved character from Sesame Street may seem like an unlikely passenger on a space bound mission, but the puppeteer inside the yellow feathered suit, Caroll Spinney, had actually been invited to join the Challenger mission“I once got a letter from NASA, asking if I would be willing to join a mission to orbit the Earth as Big Bird,” recalled Spinney in 2015, “to encourage kids to get interested in space.” In another interview, Spinney told the Chicago Sun-Times he was the first civilian asked to go up in the space shuttle.

The story may sound outlandish, but it was true. Taking civilians to space on the newly developed space shuttle, it was thought, was a chance to get the general public excited about space travel (and to justify NASA’s massive spending on the shuttle). In the early 1980s NASA developed the Space Flight Participation Program to do just that.

The program was designed to launch ordinary civilians into space, and included a proposal to send journalists, teachers, and celebrities along as well. Applicants included 42 network broadcasters, including major stars Walter Cronkite and Tom Brokaw.Spinney never applied for the program, but NASA reached out to the creators of Sesame Street with a proposal to send him into space in the early 1980s. By then, his puppet was a worldwide celebrity. Spinney, who got into puppeteering when he was a child, had been part of Sesame Street since its inaugural season, performing both Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch.

Played by Spinney like a massive, joyful six-year-old, Big Bird became a stand-in for Sesame Street’s viewers, learning the alphabet and discovering the ins and outs of the world right along with them. In space, he presumably would have done the same thing, bringing a dose of wonder and awe to the zero-gravity environment of orbit.

It’s not clear what sank Big Bird’s chances at a civilian spaceflight. Spinney maintains it was the puppet’s 8-foot-2 stance—a size that would have taken up a significant amount of shuttle real estate. In 2015, NASA confirmed that initial conversations with Sesame Street had taken place, but that “the plan was never approved.”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Didn't someone discover a huge underground grotto in their basement in Rome very recently

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't someone discover a huge underground grotto in their basement in Rome very recently

Why were your mom in Rome?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/artisanrocky/status/1419747499389210632?s=21

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Quoting myself from another thread, sorry. But after writing it, realised that it was an interesting history fact:

Samovar posted:

Oh, in that case, I've got a doozy.

My hometown is a wee town in Scotland, that's called Linlithgow. Nothing materially much wrong with it, but I maintain that it is one of the worst places in the world you can come from.

The reason is this: sometimes when a person comes from a place, it's easy to know which place, e.g. a person from Paris is a Parisian, a person from Moscow is a Muscovite, a person from London is a Londoner.

However, sometimes the demonym is not so clear, e.g. people from Barbados are Bajans, a person from Stockholm can be called a Nollĺtta. And people from Linlithgow fall in the latter camp. Because people from Linlithgow are called, and I am not joking here, Black Bitches.

And after being asked why...

Samovar posted:

Well, the main story that I heard was back in the day of the Thanes/Chieftains/Whatevers there was a man accused of being a thief and the head guy in charge said 'Ok, you're guilty and for your punishment, we're locking you up on the island on Linlithgow loch and you'll starve to death.'

And a week or so passes, and the guy's not dead - so the big man thinks 'What's up with this, then?', so he gets a 24 hour watch on the prisoner, and finds out he had a dog that was so well trained, it would gather up scraps of bread thrown out by the local bakers at the end of the day and swim across to the island with them so it's master could eat.

And so touched by this show of devotion and fealty, the headman... chained the dog to the island and let IT starve to death, too. And the old coat of arms of Linlithgow shows this dog, chained to the island starving to death. And that dog was a...

And to prove my point, please find said coat of arms here.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Aug 23, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This reminds me of the famous origin of the word "kangaroo".

Which is initially told as when Captain Cook and the first White people came to Australia they saw this giant hopping beast that they had never seen before, so asked a local what it was. The aboriginal bloke replied "kang garoo", which meant in his own language "I don't understand what you are saying to me."

It turns out this story is only half true, and the "I don't understand" stuff comes from when Cook and his party ventured further inland and came across another aborigine who belonged to an entirely different tribe and spoke an entirely different language. So when the invaders tried to communicate using the few words they had learned from the coastal people, this new bloke was still baffled.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Which is initially told as when Captain Cook and the first White people came to Australia they saw this giant hopping beast that they had never seen before, so asked a local what it was. The aboriginal bloke replied "kang garoo", which meant in his own language "I don't understand what you are saying to me."

It turns out this story is only half true, and the "I don't understand" stuff comes from when Cook and his party ventured further inland and came across another aborigine who belonged to an entirely different tribe and spoke an entirely different language. So when the invaders tried to communicate using the few words they had learned from the coastal people, this new bloke was still baffled.

It also contributes to a huge myth about Australian history, that the Aboriginal people were all hunter-gatherers with no knowledge of the wider world. The first British expedition to Australia met a local sailor who spoke English because he had spent several years trading with Singapore. But as part of colonizing the land, they plowed over Aboriginal farms and destroyed Aboriginal dams and houses and fisheries.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Samovar posted:

Quoting myself from another thread, sorry. But after writing it, realised that it an interesting history fact:

And after being asked why...

And to prove my point, please find said coat of arms here.

this post kicks rear end

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BrigadierSensible posted:

The slavic words for germans, nemetsky and similar, basically just means "idiots who don't talk right"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wales has got to be the ultimate case of semantic ownage, it comes from the Old English word meaning "outsider" and it's still the legal name of the country 1200 years later. Like imagine the USA calling themselves the Foreign States of America.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ah she's of the Cornish Dubedats. Didn't know that :mmmhmm:

The sad thing is that Mrs. Cornish Dudebat wasn't even the worst Batman reboot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

steinrokkan posted:

The sad thing is that Mrs. Cornish Dudebat wasn't even the worst Batman reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bv8_D4y_bc

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The slavic words for germans, nemetsky and similar, basically just means "idiots who don't talk right"

Germans being known by six different names by the rest of Europe is just fantastic:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

"Deutsch" itself comes from a word that means something like "of the people"

Deutschland - Land of the people.
Deutsche Sprache: Language of the people.

And so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Deutsch" itself comes from a word that means something like "of the people"

Deutschland - Land of the people.
Deutsche Sprache: Language of the people.

And so on.

Terry Pratchett posted:

They called themselves the Munrungs. It meant The People, or The True Human Beings.
It's what most people call themselves, to begin with. And then one day the tribe meets some other People or, if it's not been a good day, The Enemy. If only they'd think up a name like Some More True Human Beings, it'd save a lot of trouble later on”