Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bicievino posted:

Fortunately those bikes are better than the hope bike so nobody wants to buy one anyway.

Y'all Brits let me know which alley the Hopes get dumped in so I can get a nice deal. Money reward for getting the bike there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

gravel.jpg :allears:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Does anyone use the GUTR sweatband? Do they actually work? I'm getting real annoyed at the sweat in my eyes, the regular fabric sweat band I used today got saturated and dripped into my eye - it wasn't fun, an I was hoping this GUTR thing actually works.

https://www.sweatgutr.com/shop

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I tried it and my experience was that you had to have it very tight to work even remotely well, which was uncomfortable. It also didn’t sit very well with my POC helmet. Not a huge fan.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Objurium posted:

Day 1 of tour complete!

We chugged up the backside of a hill for a good portion of the day before finally dropping in to a ~7mi dirt descent through Nisene Marks state park, and as someone who's still a little skittish on dirt since I crashed earlier this year, it was a little nerve wracking - not to mention I only got 2 rides in on the bike with the frame loaded down this heavy.

I don't know when exactly it happened but at a certain point the fear wasn't there anymore, and I hit that flow state where the bike just feels like a natural extension of your body and it was one of the dopest things I've ever done in my life.

Topped out at 38mph according to Strava, which is wild considering how conservative I normally am on dirt, but I was clearly channeling the will of the redwoods, and the redwoods said "send it"

I can't believe I have more than a week left of this stuff. Namaste goons

Holy crap that looks EPIC!!!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I tried it and my experience was that you had to have it very tight to work even remotely well, which was uncomfortable. It also didn’t sit very well with my POC helmet. Not a huge fan.

What do you use?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

What do you use?

Mostly a rotation of Cinelli cycling caps. Coupled with the tons of vents on the POC helmet it soaks up enough sweat and dries fast enough to never get completely saturated.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Sab0921 posted:

Does anyone use the GUTR sweatband? Do they actually work? I'm getting real annoyed at the sweat in my eyes, the regular fabric sweat band I used today got saturated and dripped into my eye - it wasn't fun, an I was hoping this GUTR thing actually works.

I am a profuse sweater in Texas, and I seem to have a head shape and sweat pattern that GUTR works on. It's barely comfortable enough when I use it, but I prefer to not wear it unless i just know I'm gonna get drenched with my own headsweat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sab0921 posted:

i have one and i also have a halo cycling cap (has a similar gutter feature built in) and i fought the gutr to be better than the cap. i use the gutr when running too and it cuts a lot but not all of the sweat

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Objurium posted:

This is a boss photo

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Goddamn that's a hell of a beard, feel like shaving mine off now as it will never be that cool.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I did that Nissin marks descent in the dark once, was not my favorite. Just had a small blinky light to see by

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Blinking light haters crew checking in

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Salt Fish posted:

Old men on the car free part of the national cycle network with blinking lights on during the day, riding straight at you on the wrong side of the gravel road with an aggressive “move or we crash bitch” glower on.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Uhh ok

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Target fixation prevention team

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

It’s a thing that drives me nuts it’s the cheapest £9 Amazon lights set to blink which are without fail directly aimed at other oncoming cyclists eyes instead of the ground. On the road yeh sure be a beacon of blinking and fireworks if it keeps you safe but these guys don’t need to blind other cyclists on car free routes :(

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

learnincurve posted:

It’s a thing that drives me nuts it’s the cheapest £9 Amazon lights set to blink which are without fail directly aimed at other oncoming cyclists eyes instead of the ground. On the road yeh sure be a beacon of blinking and fireworks if it keeps you safe but these guys don’t need to blind other cyclists on car free routes :(

You're allowed to ask them to lower their lights

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Blasting down the MUP at 5pm with my 600,000 lumin 32 bulb LED headlight set to full strobe

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can’t even use any of the flashing modes on my Ranger 1400 because it’s blinding :(

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Goddamn that's a hell of a beard, feel like shaving mine off now as it will never be that cool.

I can't stand my mustache being that long, but I can see the advantage by keeping bugs out of the mouth.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Hawkline posted:

I am a profuse sweater in Texas, and I seem to have a head shape and sweat pattern that GUTR works on. It's barely comfortable enough when I use it, but I prefer to not wear it unless i just know I'm gonna get drenched with my own headsweat.

I'm Texas as well, I guess I'll get one for the summer. I need something to deal with the Houston humidity - had to pull off a couple of times this morning because of sweat in my eyes.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

highme posted:

I can't stand my mustache being that long, but I can see the advantage by keeping bugs out of the mouth.

Or alternatively, funnelling bugs into the mouth for on the bike nourishment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Objurium posted:

I don't know when exactly it happened but at a certain point the fear wasn't there anymore, and I hit that flow state where the bike just feels like a natural extension of your body and it was one of the dopest things I've ever done in my life.

Enjoy how the landscape changes and keep sending us postcard posts.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Or alternatively, funnelling bugs into the mouth for on the bike nourishment.

New investment opportunity: moustache wax aimed at cyclists who want to comb their facial hair into a bug catching grill

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Mostly a rotation of Cinelli cycling caps. Coupled with the tons of vents on the POC helmet it soaks up enough sweat and dries fast enough to never get completely saturated.

Yep, this. My helmet has a built-in gutr band thing that is awful, it just dumps rivers of water straight over my sunglasses whenever I brake.

I sweat a lot if I even stand near a bicycle, so instead I use a traditional cycle cap to distribute the sweat and wick it up to where the helmet vents it away. Works well and keeps all that moisture out of my eyes.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah I also wear a regular cycling cap underneath my helmet and its great, completely drenched and crusted with salt at the end of the ride, throw it in the wash and done. A do-rag also works in a pinch, but the small visor of a cycling cap helps a lot in my experience.

And also a great bonus, you also look like a dork even when you take your helmet off

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Slap a thin sanitary towel (wingless) on the inside of the forehead part of your helmet, absorbs moisture and you just throw it away. :)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I'm a very sweaty person and can't ride without the Halo headbands.
Definitely isn't helped by racing in aero helmets, but at least my races are super short.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

learnincurve posted:

Slap a thin sanitary towel (wingless) on the inside of the forehead part of your helmet, absorbs moisture and you just throw it away. :)

I would need a 48-pack per hour (wingless)

meltie fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 22, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I wear a buff or poly headband and they're both great for keeping sweat out of my eyes and blocking wind noise. if you're exceptionally moist you might want to bring a backup as they can saturate and leak during slow climbs

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Trying to do a prep ride for an upcoming 500k so I gathered up some friends and went riding at 9pm yesterday. Found some of the most awful, bombed out gravel roads and rode around, up and down constantly, for 200k. Hike a bike through mud at 3am is an awakening.

Got to see the sunrise as I ate a bagel, covered in mud, looking like a methhead. Love to ride bikes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Got to see the sunrise as I ate a bagel, covered in mud,

I don't think that's what they mean by rub some dirt on it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I rode a bike and it was good.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Trying to do a prep ride for an upcoming 500k so I gathered up some friends and went riding at 9pm yesterday. Found some of the most awful, bombed out gravel roads and rode around, up and down constantly, for 200k. Hike a bike through mud at 3am is an awakening.

Got to see the sunrise as I ate a bagel, covered in mud, looking like a methhead. Love to ride bikes.

Just :stare: at everything in this post.

Though I do look forward to "Literally Lewis Hamilton" embarrassing Valtteri Bottas at some future gravel race.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

serious gaylord posted:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Salt Fish posted:

I've found that a lot of the red rear lights for commuting have the blinking setting as the first one when you turn it on, so I assume most people just turn it on once and leave it there. Still dumb though.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

serious gaylord posted:

:same:

After 23 years of injury/muscle problems I've been cycling consistently for 3 months, with constantly lowering pain levels. So am very happy with the progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Aphex- posted:

I've found that a lot of the red rear lights for commuting have the blinking setting as the first one when you turn it on, so I assume most people just turn it on once and leave it there. Still dumb though.

To be fair the blink has a ton of extra battery life vs it being on all the time. I think it's something crazy like 10+ hours extra on my lights but they're just little lights to be seen and aren't making GBS threads out super high lumens.