Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

etalian posted:

If anything Contagion was optimistic in the response and effectiveness of government organization portrayed.

100% my take after Covid. The government in Contagion is unbelievably competent. Though they too do absolute poo poo to take care of people. They just pass out an insufficient amount of food and give people shots. So really, just the CDC is unrealistically competent in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

100% my take after Covid. The government in Contagion is unbelievably competent. Though they too do absolute poo poo to take care of people. They just pass out an insufficient amount of food and give people shots. So really, just the CDC is unrealistically competent in the movie.

Imagine vaccinated people getting a wrist band that they could scan to prove vaccination

The federal government absolutely could not pull that off

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

etalian posted:

I like how when people brag about their "natural immunity" approach it's no mystery they also have Bill gates microchip believes.

That's like saying you would would want to get exposed to mumps, measles and rubella without vaccination for building "natural immunity"

I fare better in car wrecks after I've been in one or two. A seatbelt, are you serious?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FizFashizzle posted:

Imagine vaccinated people getting a wrist band that they could scan to prove vaccination

The federal government absolutely could not pull that off

That's the mark of the beast yo

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

There's a guy in my work group who

1. Insisted on relying on his immune system to defend against covid

2. Got covid pt Alpha

3. Insisted that his now natural immunity was sufficient to fend off covid and would not be vaccinating

4. Caught covid pt Delta and was a little sick but otherwise ok

5. Is now in the hospital with breathing difficulties.

lol

sounds like it's a party in his lungs

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I fare better in car wrecks after I've been in one or two. A seatbelt, are you serious?

True story when selt belts were first added as a standard some people removed them from their cars or complained about mandatory laws for their use on the road:
https://www.businessinsider.com/when-americans-went-to-war-against-seat-belts-2020-5

So COV19 meltdowns in not the first time know it americans have had rebellious toddler like reaction to mandatory safety laws.

quote:

Massachusetts radio personality Jerry Williams transformed his talk show into a crusade against seat belts, gathering 45,000 signatures in three months. He managed to get a referendum on the ballot to repeal the state's new belt law.

"We don't feel we should be forced to buckle up and have a police officer sent in by the state to make sure we're buckled up," Williams told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel in 1986.

"There was a libertarian streak among resistors," Nader told Business Insider. "They took the stance that 'you're not going to tie the American people up in seat belts.'"

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

There's a guy in my work group who

1. Insisted on relying on his immune system to defend against covid

2. Got covid pt Alpha

3. Insisted that his now natural immunity was sufficient to fend off covid and would not be vaccinating

4. Caught covid pt Delta and was a little sick but otherwise ok

5. Is now in the hospital with breathing difficulties.

lol

Sounds like nature is working correctly to select him out of the reproductive population.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I know Chuds that do a weekly antibody test to prove they have protection and don't need vaccination.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

True story when selt belts were first added as a standard some people removed them from their cars or complained about mandatory laws for their use on the road:
https://www.businessinsider.com/when-americans-went-to-war-against-seat-belts-2020-5

So COV19 meltdowns in not the first time know it americans have had rebellious toddler like reaction to mandatory safety laws.

There are still anti-seatbelt people out there. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of them are boomers and older, but they do exists.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

There are still anti-seatbelt people out there. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of them are boomers and older, but they do exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTs-6xksIk

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anti-motorcycle helmet people, even

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Insanite posted:

latest death panel podcast feels simpatico with this thread:

https://twitter.com/DeathPanel_/status/1428462333655924741?s=20

lots of angry oster bashing, among other things

lmao this is great crack pinging

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think there is a helmet law in Ohio, or if there is one, it's not enforced, I have never seen a motorcycle helmet in this state.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
hm so

incompetent response to covid

folded like wet paper in afghanistan

doing jack poo poo for climate change

ceded monetary policy to the banks

...so what is it you would say you DO here, american government?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Steve Yun posted:

The Doherty plan is to opener up with 70-80% vaccination?

Those 20-30% unvaxxed are going to get absolutely annihilated by delta and will clog up the hospitals

LOL what are they thinking

No, the Doherty plan was to open er up with no community spread but now the PM is saying it's fine if we do that with 1,000+ cases per day and climbing.

Opening er up internationally is stupid either way though.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

hm so

Promises made, promises kept

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mola Yam posted:

hm so

redistribute wealth from the poor to the extremely rich

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mola Yam posted:

hm so

I suggest cutting the pretense altogether and just outsource the government to corps

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Death Panels is precisely the Podcast i needed to crackping myself out of sleeping soundly last night.

Besides Dr. Campbell, are there any others?

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Biowarfare posted:

what i dont understand is why people are so desperate to jam their children in viral incubators ??? is there something im missing? just some desperate need to pretend that it's all over? like even well educated people are acting like this and it's weird

the incubation to intubation pipeline

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lawlicaust posted:

They’ve started daily robocalls to remind parents to keep sick kids home.

This is doomed to fail because there is always at least one parent who will knowingly send their infected kid to school

Any system that relies on the honor system is doomed to fail. We are America.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 23, 2021

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

It's actually dogs, hth

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/rescue-dogs-shot-dead-by-nsw-council-due-to-covid-19-restrictions-20210821-p58ksh.html

dancing on that guys grave for sure

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Palladium posted:

I suggest cutting the pretense altogether and just outsource the government to corps

media and zeitgeist suggest this would be cool and stylish and only marginally more lovely, but lived experience tells me this would be marginally more lovely and also incredibly lame

sadly real corps don't give a poo poo about looking cool, just about tricking braindead morons into buying their garbage

Tesla is probably the closest we've got to a cyberpunk corporation and everything they produce is ugly as poo poo

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Palladium posted:

Xe handles foreign policy
McKinsey handles domestic policy

not really a joke there

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

then again maybe if the US were dissolved and divided up between megacorporations, they would put more effort into fashion and branding

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

lol I remember when people started talking about how they’re now immune to covid because _______.
started around April as the shutdown was going on.

they have a natural immunity
they already got covid
they’re vaccinated

just love the idea that people can latch on to a word they’re barely aware of and then apply it to any state they choose regardless of what reality says

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
School bus just drove by my house and picked up some kids on the corner. It begins.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lawlicaust posted:

We watched Contagion last week. I haven’t seen it in years but remember previously thinking how ridiculous and unrealistic parts were. I used to think the Chud in the state health department was a ridiculous caricature and that surely someone in the CDC wouldn’t interview that many people not wearing a mask.

Covid has taught me that the chud in the health department was too kind a portrayal of Rs and of course the CDC wouldn’t wear a mask because they are hilariously incompetent.

The only things unrealistic about Contagion was that the government mounted a real response and did mandatory vaccination. Our government would never be that competent. Everything else in that movie is 100% on point for how the US really reacted to Covid right down to people decrying the science while secretly knowing they have better care and protection than anyone else.

this is spot on

also I made this at the beginning of the pandemic

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pictured: A D&D mod

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfpkTkHMheE&t=319s

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

neutral milf hotel posted:

this is spot on

Beans, might be useful.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

good morning

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Very disappointed to see they don't slam these cars into bits driving into a wall

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

neutral milf hotel posted:

this is spot on

man remember how we thought the guy, who had 6+ months worth of pantry food, was overpreparing?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mola Yam posted:

hm so

Imagine if Trump or Sean Hannity told people to stop paying taxes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't think there is a helmet law in Ohio, or if there is one, it's not enforced, I have never seen a motorcycle helmet in this state.

there's one in NYC. some libertarian dude rebelled against it a few years ago shortly after it was enacted, and got into a crash. the coroner noted that if he had worn a helmet he would probably would have survived

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

are we getting the return of the just the flu bro crowd

has the flu recently ever filled hospitals and had people being treated in the street lol imma crack imma ping

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
sosmeone posted this last night

Infection-enhancing anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies recognize both the original Wuhan/D614G strain and Delta variants. A potential risk for mass vaccination?

quote:

As the NTD is also targeted by neutralizing antibodies, our data suggest that the balance between neutralizing and facilitating antibodies in vaccinated individuals is in favor of neutralization for the original Wuhan/D614G strain. However, in the case of the Delta variant, neutralizing antibodies have a decreased affinity for the spike protein, whereas facilitating antibodies display a strikingly increased affinity. Thus, ADE may be a concern for people receiving vaccines based on the original Wuhan strain spike sequence (either mRNA or viral vectors).

despite the claims here the data is still pretty good for protection from hospitalization and death (tho may suggest why delta has more/more severe breakthroughs)

but lol now i'm thinking what if ADE is what defines the next variant. max titers.... titers of death

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

the CDC is a bigger mess than Jeb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lord of Pie posted:

the CDC is a bigger mess than Jeb!

We should have clapped.