Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Thom12255 posted:

Just pillage the cities and outposts and plop down your own.

do i have to unlock a specific tech to raze cities or something? i bullrushed my neighbors in the ancient era before they could get a second city up, and... didn't have enough warscore to take the city. then i reloaded the game to see if i could raze it before the force surrender screen. i ransacked the city but it takes 6 turns. the ransacking effect ends when you force the surrender. it's a bad mechanic, jerry!

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Horizon Burning posted:

this would be great

also, can we just create 'our' avatar? i feel like i should be able to create a bunch of custom personas if i want to
this is the biggest and weirdest omission imo

you can download avatars that other folks have created through the g2g thing but you can never create your own ai personas. why? :iiam:

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

is there a way to turn off the narrator. i hate a smarmy dramatic irony rear end narrator

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jinnigan posted:

is there a way to turn off the narrator. i hate a smarmy dramatic irony rear end narrator

Yes, it's in the settings.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i like the narrator and i dig the vibe it gives humankind, similar to the pollution mechanic being 'plant useless trees, actively stop people from pollution via military action, or everyone dies.' i really like the idea of a cynical 4x dripping with irony. it's a nice change from civ 6 that thinks everything about history is fantastic. wow, plastics are so great, there was nothing bad about them!

Chamale posted:

The battles are truly impressive. I had a fight with 12 of my troops involved - archers, swordsmen, and scouts - with reinforcements rushing across the map to help. It was a defining moment in the era.

Why does the AI struggle with map wrap? Do they maybe not understand sending troops across the sea?

i took on an entire hun horde, something like forty horse archers. pikes, crossbowmen, a unit of arquebusiers i had from an event, and an elephant with a ballista. it was awesome. i really like fighting wars in this, which isn't something I've ever enjoyed in civ.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

i like the narrator and i dig the vibe it gives humankind, similar to the pollution mechanic being 'plant useless trees, actively stop people from pollution via military action, or everyone dies.' i really like the idea of a cynical 4x dripping with irony. it's a nice change from civ 6 that thinks everything about history is fantastic. wow, plastics are so great, there was nothing bad about them!

I don't think that's part of Humankind's cynicism though. I think that's just the game not working right.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Horizon Burning posted:

i took on an entire hun horde, something like forty horse archers. pikes, crossbowmen, a unit of arquebusiers i had from an event, and an elephant with a ballista. it was awesome. i really like fighting wars in this, which isn't something I've ever enjoyed in civ.

Please tell me how to fight the huns because I thought I understood, but this game it's just been an absolute nightmare. I've tried adding more archers but they do no damage, spears are way weaker than gaesetae or standard swords or whatever. I tried building walls but my cities still get populated with useless militia, is there some way to get a decent garrison other than stack your soldiers on the city center?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Horizon Burning posted:

I thought the Civ VI narrator had too many quotes where he hated the technology.

quote:

Computers: "To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer" - Paul Ehrlich

Synthetic Materials: "There may be no forgiveness for polyester. On this one matter, Satan and the Lord are in disagreement" - Joe Hill

Composites: "It is obvious that while science is struggling to bring Heaven to Earth some men are using its materials in the construction of Hell." – Herbert Hoover

Industrialization: "The industrial revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race." - Theodore Kaczynski

Plastics: "In the hierarchy of the major poetic substances, plastic figures as a disgraced material, lost between the effusiveness of rubber and the flat hardness of metal." - Roland Barthes

Eimi posted:

Please tell me how to fight the huns because I thought I understood, but this game it's just been an absolute nightmare. I've tried adding more archers but they do no damage, spears are way weaker than gaesetae or standard swords or whatever. I tried building walls but my cities still get populated with useless militia, is there some way to get a decent garrison other than stack your soldiers on the city center?

Try to focus on techs that upgrade your militia, or other military units. If you're near the Huns, you really have to prioritize building units until your cities are comfortably able to withstand an attack.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Eimi posted:

open battles will go very badly. you really have to try and rout them in a siege. once i broke one of their big 20+ unit armies at one of my cities, i could take the fight to them. i only really got a handle on them when i had pikeman, knights, and so on. the real problem with the huns is their absurd mobility.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Chamale posted:

I thought the Civ VI narrator had too many quotes where he hated the technology.

Try to focus on techs that upgrade your militia, or other military units. If you're near the Huns, you really have to prioritize building units until your cities are comfortably able to withstand an attack.

I wish we got the Ted quote in a civ game. :v:

And yeah I'm thinking I have to either go mega far back in time or scrap this run because I guess I didn't really know what the gently caress I was doing. Still trying to find the right time to leave ancient era, what civ works for me, and so on. I dunno that game was a loving mess overall so I don't mind restarting but....yeah I think I might just have to keep an archer stack or build a garrison on the border now. I never tried building on. Annoying you can never have your militia get slings or something.

Also I was experimenting with city sizes, I think 4 districts per might be too much with how you have to wait...but then influence feels weird. It's really tight for a long time...and then it doesn't matter.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Chamale posted:

yeah but none of that's actually reflected in the gameplay leaving the whole thing feeling weird and discordant. and given how some of the quotes are just, like, the first google result for '[thing] quote' I'm not sure how much of it was intended. i side more with the people who point out the quotes feel weird given that the game is otherwise quite positive about those developments.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah but none of that's actually reflected in the gameplay leaving the whole thing feeling weird and discordant. and given how some of the quotes are just, like, the first google result for '[thing] quote' I'm not sure how much of it was intended. i side more with the people who point out the quotes feel weird given that the game is otherwise quite positive about those developments.

I actually really, really hated them, and it's one of the reasons I bounced off Civ 6 so hard at launch.

It sounds incredibly silly, but I always appreciated Civ 4 and especially the narrator in 5 feeling like it was trying to portray the best parts of human civilization.

There's enough gloom and doom in the world, I don't need it in my silly escapist builder games as well. Playing Civ when I was younger instilled an early interest in history and a love for exploring other cultures.

The Humankind presentation is... somewhere inbetween. It's a bit snarky, but not outright lazy or mean, which is what some of the Civ 6 stuff felt like.

(Alpha Centauri did the 'humanity just can't let go of its fundamental issues and divisions' much, much better)

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Did some more multiplayer today.

A lot of weird random disconnects, but nothing that wasn't fixed by a quick load back to lobby and re-ready.

Still, in a 4~ hour session there were 4 random disconnects and 1 desync which is unfortunate. It'd be easier if:

1) You could join into a game in session
or
2) If someone disconnects it doesn't invalidate the lobby to them.

Nothing that made it unfun but it could definitely grate on someone if it happens a few times in a row.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

victrix posted:

I actually really, really hated them, and it's one of the reasons I bounced off Civ 6 so hard at launch.

It sounds incredibly silly, but I always appreciated Civ 4 and especially the narrator in 5 feeling like it was trying to portray the best parts of human civilization.

There's enough gloom and doom in the world, I don't need it in my silly escapist builder games as well. Playing Civ when I was younger instilled an early interest in history and a love for exploring other cultures.

The Humankind presentation is... somewhere inbetween. It's a bit snarky, but not outright lazy or mean, which is what some of the Civ 6 stuff felt like.

(Alpha Centauri did the 'humanity just can't let go of its fundamental issues and divisions' much, much better)

There's kind of a whiplash between Horizon talking about how great it is that HK accidentally portrays that the only thing to do about pollution is to murder everyone and you talking about how HK isn't mean about its portrayal, gotta say.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

yeah honestly the narration in civ 6 was...... really tiresome. i was worried when i booted up humankind and saw that it was trying to imitate it, but thankfully it's a lot better in this game

i am so tired of hearing some of those civ 6 quotes

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

strictly comparing narrators: civ4 is TNG, alpha centauri is DS9, and humankind is Discovery

its not cynical, its quippy. yeesh

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Your Computer posted:

yeah honestly the narration in civ 6 was...... really tiresome. i was worried when i booted up humankind and saw that it was trying to imitate it, but thankfully it's a lot better in this game

i am so tired of hearing some of those civ 6 quotes

-Wow, I've just completed the greatest industrial wonder in the game! I shall be unstoppable!
-"Overnight, the industrial heart of germany practically stopped beating!"
-Oh okay

A similar problem is Civ 5's music; when you're at war it is generally sombre, haunting and discordant. Why did the devs think that people playing a fun silly escapist civ builder wanted a soundtrack to a documentary on generational trauma in eastern european war orphans!? Meanwhile in Civ 4, when you hit Industrial, Beethoven starts playing... that was just genius.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 23, 2021

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Eimi posted:

Buy them off or put an ocean between you and them. It’s very true to history that way.

Don’t underestimate using Garrisons to wall off choke points and keep your defenses contiguous. Ideally you want the whole of the Hunnic horde smashing into your Theodosian Walls and getting nowhere.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Is there any way to claim a city? Before or after a war has started? A neighbor declared war on me and I don't see any option in the diplo screen. I'd love to actually get something out of this stupid war.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Tree Bucket posted:

It's one of those issues like the zero strategics bug that really really really should have been picked up much earlier.

This is probably a bug that appeared a couple of days before release and was a fix for some other bug, or a consequence of a change in map generator. It's not like it was there for half a year and no one noticed.

Then again, this is why devs make gold version of the game some time before release, test it and release day 1 patch dealing with those obvious issues. Amplitude probably has a wild development workflow. Some bugs or design issues of EL and ES2 were sold after a huge delay or weren't solved at all. Like people asked for only unique factions option since ES1 and it was added to EL years after release.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jinnigan posted:

do i have to unlock a specific tech to raze cities or something? i bullrushed my neighbors in the ancient era before they could get a second city up, and... didn't have enough warscore to take the city. then i reloaded the game to see if i could raze it before the force surrender screen. i ransacked the city but it takes 6 turns. the ransacking effect ends when you force the surrender. it's a bad mechanic, jerry!

The speed of razing is related to the power of your stack. Early on even 4 Huns will take 4 turns or so to raze. But Upgrade them to Mongels and they will raze a city in one turn.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Jinnigan posted:

strictly comparing narrators: civ4 is TNG, alpha centauri is DS9, and humankind is Discovery

its not cynical, its quippy. yeesh

No game is Discovery. Maybe Call to Power. But really if we're talking about the quotes Discovery does the same dumb meme quotes as Civ6. Spock saying "I like science" with a smug face is basically a reference to all those channels with "smart" memes which Civ6 is so fond of quoting.

It seems like such a small thing but the whole message and mood of Civ6 is destroyed by those idiotic inappropriate jokes.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ilitarist posted:

This is probably a bug that appeared a couple of days before release and was a fix for some other bug, or a consequence of a change in map generator. It's not like it was there for half a year and no one noticed.

Then again, this is why devs make gold version of the game some time before release, test it and release day 1 patch dealing with those obvious issues. Amplitude probably has a wild development workflow. Some bugs or design issues of EL and ES2 were sold after a huge delay or weren't solved at all. Like people asked for only unique factions option since ES1 and it was added to EL years after release.

Could it have been noticed? I don't think the big betas did any of the late age stuff, which is where they're the biggest issue.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eimi posted:

Is there any way to claim a city? Before or after a war has started? A neighbor declared war on me and I don't see any option in the diplo screen. I'd love to actually get something out of this stupid war.

You can simply claim territories on the surrender screen but you have to be actually occupying a city at the end of the war to get that option. It makes taking cities a much more involved process, for me at least, cos I can never tell what my war score will be when theirs gets to zero. I think empire size plays a role in the final point tally? No idea why sometimes I have 138 points and others I have 217.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

victrix posted:

when i got a few hours into humankind, i had the distinct thought that i'd love to see a game like this with alpha centauri's general atmosphere. it'd be a big task, and i can see why people want a 'happy' civilization-building game, but i'd really like one that was fine with interrogating things. i like things like the pollution mechanic, civ6's climate change stuff, etc. at the same time, i hope humankind gets to go a little bit near future, too, because i like there to be some fun sci-fi as much as i like gritty historical perspective.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Horizon Burning posted:

i like the narrator and i dig the vibe it gives humankind, similar to the pollution mechanic being 'plant useless trees, actively stop people from pollution via military action, or everyone dies.' i really like the idea of a cynical 4x dripping with irony. it's a nice change from civ 6 that thinks everything about history is fantastic. wow, plastics are so great, there was nothing bad about them!.

I really don't think HK's tone - from all its art (just look at that loading screen!) and music to the glorification of its cultures - comes off as cynical at all. Everything just seems so vibrant and full of hope and potential. Narrative events tend to have pretty apparent "correct" choices. Technology and progress are almost unconditionally good, with the exception of the handful of (mostly avoidable) polluting structures. Open up the era advancement screen and every culture is a shining paragon of some great vision, able to seemlessly add to your society's rapidly-inflating capabilities.

If anything, the narrator's constant quipping feels a bit at odds with everything else, as if the devs were embarrassed about seeming too earnest and idealistic.

Dayton Sports Bar fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 23, 2021

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

honestly i’d like to see a civ type game go beyond the contemporary era and into true sci fi future eras. i’ve always hated how in civ when you hit the modern era, the game is essentially “well that’s it we had gandhi launching nukes but it’s impossible to imagine him in space or a cyborg”

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Previous time anyone tried to contend with Civ was Call to Power 1 & 2. Those games went far into the future. They weren't good though.

Also Civ itself goes pretty far into the future, don't you think? It's just depressing cyberpunk but without cool implants future, and also everything is flooded.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ilitarist posted:

Previous time anyone tried to contend with Civ was Call to Power 1 & 2. Those games went far into the future. They weren't good though.

Also Civ itself goes pretty far into the future, don't you think? It's just depressing cyberpunk but without cool implants future, and also everything is flooded.

To be fair, they tried to contend with Civilization by literally being Civilization. It's why the first game was called "Civilization: Call To Power"

Kchama fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 23, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pretty sure I'm going to lose this Humankind game unless I can pull off a last minute leader murder.

I made as critically poor nation choice leaving medieval, which may have cost me the win, we'll see.

This game has been bonkers, a knock down drag out war that lasted for two eras, resulted in the annihilation of one civ, vassalization of another, who then put me in a two front battle with them and the leader.

The smarter play would have been to surrender way earlier and focus on butter instead, but honestly this has been way more fun.

I cannot remember the last civ game where a war lasted this long, another civ reached the final era, but there was still a possibility of victory, however slim.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Splash Attack posted:

honestly i’d like to see a civ type game go beyond the contemporary era and into true sci fi future eras. i’ve always hated how in civ when you hit the modern era, the game is essentially “well that’s it we had gandhi launching nukes but it’s impossible to imagine him in space or a cyborg”

You might even say you want them to reach Beyond Earth

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

One fiddly thing I'm not liking (on top of not being able to build later era starter infrastructure kits) is population shuffling - building 1 turn military units, pooping them out at a garrison on the border to another city, then moving a step and disbanding.

Really inelegant, unless I'm completely missing a "migrate population" function somewhere?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Completed my campaign, came 3rd. Some thoughts:

The Aztecs (at the time of meeting them) pretty much ran away with the win around about the Medieval era. Looking at their results screen they made some pretty sensible choices - they shared a small continent with two other nations and spent a good part of their eras choosing warlike civs to dominate, basically vassalizing the two other nations. I was sharing with four other nations on a much larger continent. It's good to see the AI make fairly solid decisions when it comes to Civ choices.

Switching between Civ's is tricky and there is likely an approach that leads to game breaking levels of production. I tried playing it as mixture of doing everything, but seeing how the others worked, it seems like choosing one option and going down that route makes more sense (ie, choose a warlike Civ and go to war with everyone).

I'm not sure if I like the "Fame" win that it goes for, as the whole process of accruing Fame seems rather irrelevant to other things you might do. Throw down 4 wonders and be the most influential nation on the continent - 100 fame. Research 5 technologies - 500 fame! It would make sense if Fame accrued through the actions of your nation, or through districts or improvements you make. Later districts do appear to do this, but by that point it's too late. I was 3rd in Fame, but I had the highest level of influence and money compared to all others. Should that not count for something? I guess the counter is "Yes, if you play an influence or currency focused civ," but all seems a bit odd.

The default turn amount seems a bit short? I got only 5 turns in the modern era before the game over screen.

The tone of the game is very odd, snarky and cynical. I can agree with one reviewer who felt like the game never celebrates your achievements - you build wonders and the narrator replies "Yeah, who cares?" Whereas Civilization 6 dumbed their quotations down with childish comments and Sean Bean, Humankind has gone for a cold-hearted approach. Even the cutscene narrations felt like the game was going "Humans bring nothing but suffering!" Which okay...I guess, but I far preferred Nimoy or Sheppard giving me nice quotes and a cutscene.

I think the AI holds up very well and overall the experience is definitely much better than Civilization 6, but it has some work, patches and DLC to go before it's able to beat Civilization 5.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So is that one "secularism or state atheism" decision you make in the late game broken or is the secularism choice meant to completely implode your religion? I went from the most dominant religion in the world (2/3 continents) to nonexistent over the course of 1 turn, with no way to undo the damage except reloading an old save

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
One more very minor gripe:

It feels like the Independent Peoples, once they're able to spawn, start spawning very quickly. In my multiplayer game I was on a continent with 4 other civilizations and by the time they could start spawning they quickly snapped every free territory and made cities, spawning soldiers that began to ransack everything.

I didn't know the Independent Peoples could siege...

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Splash Attack posted:

Yeah I don't really know of of a planetary 4X with a space layer other than call to power.
I mean if you really wanted to you could do something like ---> Low Orbits layer ---> High Orbits Layer ---> Moon map.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Have they posted an ETA for their first patch? I'd like to play more but the lack of strategic resources is bumming me out. (And the 'AI faction gets influence' bug, too.)

Menelon
Oct 2, 2014

Prism posted:

Have they posted an ETA for their first patch? I'd like to play more but the lack of strategic resources is bumming me out. (And the 'AI faction gets influence' bug, too.)

End of week. Could be earlier on a Steam beta branch.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Communist Bear posted:

The tone of the game is very odd, snarky and cynical. I can agree with one reviewer who felt like the game never celebrates your achievements - you build wonders and the narrator replies "Yeah, who cares?" Whereas Civilization 6 dumbed their quotations down with childish comments and Sean Bean, Humankind has gone for a cold-hearted approach. Even the cutscene narrations felt like the game was going "Humans bring nothing but suffering!" Which okay...I guess, but I far preferred Nimoy or Sheppard giving me nice quotes and a cutscene.

Really they should have gone for what they wanted and cast Jeff Goldblum as the narrator, since the tone sounds exactly like Ian Malcomb tut tutting you about dinosaurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Menelon posted:

End of week. Could be earlier on a Steam beta branch.

That long, huh? I expected it by Tuesday-ish, a week after release.

Thanks for the info though.