Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The 90s and 00s happened.

Edit: Well that's an amazing page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

First it was patents. Now it's trademarks for Mazda.

https://taku2-4885.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/08/17/105811

E-Skyactiv R-Energy
E-Skyactiv R-HEV
E-Skyactiv R-EV

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I may have the name wrong since I've been trying to get a new Nvidia card since last fall, but it was something like that. Fortunately the only actual color option was yellow, and since my stinger is already yellow I wasn't interested. I still hate the rear but eh, it's a compromise all over. The upshot is if it's affordable it'll be way faster than we'd ever need my wife's commuter to be.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McTinkerson posted:

E-Skyactiv R-Energy
E-Skyactiv R-HEV
E-Skyactiv R-EV

:yeshaha:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason a rotary engine would be particularly good for an electric generator role?

don't get me wrong I :love: Triangle but just curious

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Genesis makes 2 steering wheels. The Chunky 2 spoke that looks like its out of a late 90s early 2000s Chrysler. And then the 3 spoke 'Sport' one which looks so much better.
Weird they went with the 2 spoke for the GV60

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 20, 2021

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

McTinkerson posted:

E-Skyactiv R-Energy
E-Skyactiv R-HEV
E-Skyactiv R-EV

Dont loving fall for this poo poo. At this point we are enabling Mazda by continuing to paying attention.

Im torn on which tech Ive enjoyed and gotten the most use out of from Mazda:

-One of the 20+ 'Guys we totally figured out Rotaries and its back' vehicles
-The offered for 1 year total 'Guys a Diesel Cx-5 is the way to go'
-Rotary powered Range Extender
-Skyactiv-X

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rotary range extended hybrid four door RX9 CUV.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Rotary range extended hybrid four door RX9 CUV.

Still somehow only 17mpg

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

Still somehow only 17mpg

Needs range extender motor replaced after 10k miles

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Is there any reason a rotary engine would be particularly good for an electric generator role?

don't get me wrong I :love: Triangle but just curious

Rotaries are very efficient at like one specific (very high) RPM and nothing else. They're also very small and light for their output, which helps when you have giant fuckoff batteries.

Edit: Apparently they work really well with hydrogen fuel too.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 20, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Plus the old (and probably wrong) saying of insanity being "repeating the same task expecting different results" does line up with this forums namesake. So Mazda's rotary efforts are peak automotive insanity.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

McTinkerson posted:

Plus the old (and probably wrong) saying of insanity being "repeating the same task expecting different results" does line up with this forums namesake. So Mazda's rotary efforts are peak automotive insanity.

If an OE was to get an SA account and post in AI, it’d be Mazda. They’d probably eat a ban for trolling people, but it would be Mazda.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I don’t know poo poo about rotaries from any experience but my indirect understanding of them is that they have some substantial benefits over a piston engine, like the aforementioned packaging size and weight, if someone ever figures out apex seals

Kinda have the impression material science will solve the issues of rotary engines some time after ICE have already become an obsolete niche technology for hobbyists

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://youtu.be/iipgIt5lXAY

:dong:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I expect that the big players in power generation investigated rotaries back in the 50’s or 60’s and what ever makes them unsuitable for large scale energy sector use probably holds, or they would be around, but maybe modern packaging has solved some issues for limited uses?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Rotaries are very efficient at like one specific (very high) RPM and nothing else. They're also very small and light for their output, which helps when you have giant fuckoff batteries.

Ah, thought they were just generally inefficient- it's just the 8k of revrange they need to get through to find their sweet spot of efficiency. Interesting that their maximum power RPM seems to overlap with their maximum efficiency RPM.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I like it. Ugly, interesting, same same.

80s 2-spoke Corolla wheels rule, though.

(Biased of course, since my first car was a 1988 Corolla)

This is the one I was thinking of, next model on

Between Corollas and Hiaces I must have spent hundreds of thousands of KMs holding that horrible slippery plastic thing

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

KillHour posted:

Is anyone even trying to make hydrogen fuel cell vehicles viable anymore or are they just token efforts? I feel like they had a (very) brief moment in the sun but battery EVs took an early lead and hydrogen disappeared.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KillHour posted:

Rotaries work better with poo poo fuel and pretty much any crap that will combust. Wouldnt exactly call them efficient at high rpm, they drink like a sailor still - the issue has always been the port overlap that spits a fair bit of the air/fuel out the exhaust.

I suppose if you wanted a 50-100hp generator, there's not much that can actually give you that in such a small package but you still need to try and get it emissions tested, need the fuel tank, radiator and why wouldn't you just switch all that to more battery? Even as a card carrying RADL member, I just dont get why Mazda are doing this

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I just dont get why Mazda are doing this

Mazda in a nutshell. Love 'em and hate 'em for it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Franco Caution posted:

Pretty wild to spend a large part of the day running through all the GR86 reviews and hearing about it's 23 extra HP, and then end the day with Nissan dropping the 400HP number.

Kinda dig that blue interior and exterior combo.
Alright, what did you gently caress up Nissan? It has to be there somewhere.

228 hp is what the first gen 86 twins should have had and then the 2nd gen should be moving up from there. I don't know why automakers insist on making sub 3000 lb rwd cars slow. Especially in this day and age when all the pieces are there to solve this issue.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

But but.....

-it won't fit
-it will cannabalize sales of _______
-it would be too expensive.

Aftermarket easily made it fit.
I have 0 interest in the Supra. So I guess just not having me interested in either car is somehow better?
-it's ok to make 2,3,4 versions of a car. Most manufacturers do this. The world doesn't explode. You can make a 30k and a 40k version of a car.

Take any other car and apply the normal excuses the Twins put forth and it sounds so silly.

I'm happy for those who love the twins. Love your car. But it seems dumb to deliberately not sell more of your thing to more people.

Also watching a review last night and the loving Veloster N gets into the 4s on 0-60 now? Jesus christ.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Coredump posted:

228 hp is what the first gen 86 twins should have had and then the 2nd gen should be moving up from there. I don't know why automakers insist on making sub 3000 lb rwd cars slow. Especially in this day and age when all the pieces are there to solve this issue.

Because Toyota has final say.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Franco Caution posted:

I'm happy for those who love the twins. Love your car. But it seems dumb to deliberately not sell more of your thing to more people.

Toyota and Subaru have decided that trying to sell more (expensive) versions of their thing to more people (who would now be directly cross-shopping a Mustang or Camaro or Z instead of poo poo like the Civic Si and GTI) would, in fact, be dumb.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

if the 86 had an Alpine or Alfa Romeo badge on it, ppl would be masturbating furiously over them imo

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

smooth jazz posted:

if the 86 had an Alpine or Alfa Romeo badge on it, ppl would be masturbating furiously over them imo

Both the 4C and the A110 are 400lbs lighter than the twins and also have more horsepower and torque. So I guess you’re right in that if they had Alfa or Alpine badge they’d be better cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Those aren't even remotely in the same class, they're more expensive than a Supra.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Neither available with a manual though. So at least we would have something to complain about.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Franco Caution posted:

-The offered for 1 year total 'Guys a Diesel Cx-5 is the way to go'
It might have something to do with the fact that it was poo poo.

Good turbo diesels built by the Japanase for passanger cars
- uh that Toyota lump they had in Landcruiser and Hilux?
- ??

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I like it. Ugly, interesting, same same.

80s 2-spoke Corolla wheels rule, though.

(Biased of course, since my first car was a 1988 Corolla)

Man, every time I see something like this from a production car in the eighties, it really just makes me realize how much we were robbed in the nineties. Just look at that awesome instrument cluster!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FBS posted:

Toyota and Subaru have decided that trying to sell more (expensive) versions of their thing to more people (who would now be directly cross-shopping a Mustang or Camaro or Z instead of poo poo like the Civic Si and GTI) would, in fact, be dumb.
I cross shopped a BR-Z and a Mustang GT. It just made zero sense to get the BR-Z once I drove the Coyote.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CornHolio posted:

Man, every time I see something like this from a production car in the eighties, it really just makes me realize how much we were robbed in the nineties. Just look at that awesome instrument cluster!

Japanese car design really peaked in the 80s, then the utter blandness started to creep in.

At least modern ugly Toyotas stir something in you, even if it is mostly confusion or disgust.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 23, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Japanese car design really peaked in the 80s, then the utter blandness started to creep in.

Couldn't agree less :v:

300ZX is easily the ugliest, or at least most bland, generation Z in my book.
First / second gen RX-7? NO THANKS.
First gen MR-2 is actually cooler than the second one, alright.
I'll take four-gen Supra over second/third gen every single day of the week.
Celica...doesn't interest me at all, actually

What else is there? :thunk:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You have no taste. More wedges and more angular surfaces = more better.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Germans did boxy extremely well. The Japanese did not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

What else is there? :thunk:

AE86 :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FBS posted:

Imagine we lived in a world with the 86 twins and no WRX and someone tried to pitch the idea of the WRX.

:v:: Ok lets take the 86, add a turbo, awd, AND two doors.
:colbert:: You'll have to add $10,000 to msrp of the 86 twins.
:v:: gently caress that we're going to price it $2,500 cheaper
:catstare:

Hopefully the price of 1st gen 86's start to go down though. So many of the used ones are still north of $20k right now.

Sab669 posted:

The Germans did boxy extremely well. The Japanese did not.

The defense submits exhibit 2nd gen Toyota Supra to the court.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, the Skyline gets better with every generation :shrug: But I do kinda like the 7th gen ones. 8th is better than 7th.

AE86 does absolutely nothing for me. Maybe if I were a weeb who watched Initial D I'd find it cool, but I'm not so I didn't therefore I don't.

And I already addressed the Supra :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/37Qzo5Gp/1984-nissan-bluebird-wagon this thing fucks though :haw: