Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The secret is that you never stop falling off of Titan because eventually it will have been long enough that you forget about it when you do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nah if you do Titan EX all the way back in 2.1 you will have grinded it enough that hard and normal feel like gigantic arenas moving in molasses for the rest of your life

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

cheetah7071 posted:

Nah if you do Titan EX all the way back in 2.1 you will have grinded it enough that hard and normal feel like gigantic arenas moving in molasses for the rest of your life

The Landslides.... the landslides....

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I just don't use displacement anymore unless I deliberately want to backstep. My ping is bad enough that a oGCD with movement makes me clip a lot of the time and displacement can just kill you in lots of arenas.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tortolia posted:

Falling off in Titan is a right of passage, both as a sprout and also while learning certain jobs.

On the first day of Stormblood early access I queued for Trial DR and got Titan HM. There were two brand new red mages in the party, and both of them Displaced off the platform in the first 90 seconds.

Thankfully, they pretty much stopped doing the thing where you can't be revived after falling out of the arena in like... the Heavensward patches, I think? For modern fights, if you fall off you just get teleported back to the arena (dead, of course).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Can confirm that the first time I faced Titan when I was learning RDM, I manage to displace myself right off the arena. Too much muscle memory.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Regalingualius posted:

What’s the name of that track that plays during tense mystery scenes that’s just a few piano notes?

If it's HW or later, could be this one? A favorite of mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YMmRuFffo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am finally approaching lvl 30 as a Lancer and I am 26 - just got that third damage button to press and it feels much better now.

When do we get a mount? It isn't like WoW where you can just buy one? Luckily the worlds aren't TOO big but i'd like to mount up, hehe. I just finished the MSQ's where you do 3 dungeons and that went pretty well - pretty mindless but visually looked cool.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vintersorg posted:

I am finally approaching lvl 30 as a Lancer and I am 26 - just got that third damage button to press and it feels much better now.

When do we get a mount? It isn't like WoW where you can just buy one? Luckily the worlds aren't TOO big but i'd like to mount up, hehe. I just finished the MSQ's where you do 3 dungeons and that went pretty well - pretty mindless but visually looked cool.

A quest after you join a Grand Company. Keep playing the MSQ.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Vintersorg posted:

You'll get the quest to unlock a mount after you clear the first big boss battle and join one of the three city-state factions (which thankfully is not like alliance v. horde, it's 'I think this city is cooler' or 'I think this city has better glamour' and you can swap at any time).

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Cythereal posted:

A quest after you join a Grand Company. Keep playing the MSQ.

Joining a Grand Company is a lvl 20 quest though?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

adhuin posted:

With the way MSQ xp is these days it's super common for people to be around lvl 30 on their starter class by the time they get around to grand company unlocks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

adhuin posted:

Levels tend to considerably outpace the MSQ

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Regy Rusty posted:

Levels tend to considerably outpace the MSQ

Especially if you're doing roulettes regularly.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Speaking as someone in a similar spot: it's actually pretty handy to be leveling two jobs at once and trade off between them. The MSQ gives so drat much XP that you can keep swapping between, say, Dragoon and Warrior and have them both keep up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

Speaking as someone in a similar spot: it's actually pretty handy to be leveling two jobs at once and trade off between them. The MSQ gives so drat much XP that you can keep swapping between, say, Dragoon and Warrior and have them both keep up.

Plus it's fun to have the variety when going through the story.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Also note that when you get your first mount through your grand company, it grants you access to use all mounts you can obtain or already have sitting around (like the polar bear from Moonfire Faire, which is still available for a few more days) - it's a simple character flag.

Also, when unlocked, mounts work regardless of what level or job you are on so even when you swap to a new job, you can mount up at level 1.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Tempest_56 posted:

My WHM is leveling solely off of Duty Roulette and is 69. My RDM and Dancer are both 61 and I -just- started Stormblood. So basically what I'm doing is keeping DNC one level ahead of MSQs and all the rest of the XP goes to my RDM. So I'm doing level 60 MSQs now, so now that DNC is 61 I'll switch to RDM until the MSQs hit 61 at which point I'll switch back to DNC.

If this goes the way I'm planning I should finish out Shadowbringers with at least 3 80s. Chances are I'll hit 80 on my WHM through roulettes before I'm even into Shadowbringers, so I'll probably level either another healer or a tank through roulettes while doing MSQs on the aforementioned classes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I’ve been swapping every other level between Machinist and Samurai, and just been loving around with minor quests on whoever’s farther behind.

The big annoyance is that you have to be at the minimum level for a quest to complete it, even if you’re perfectly capable of doing the entirety of it a level or two lower.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The 46-49 MSQs jump in ARR is probably the only real wrench in the works for sharing MSQ experience - when you start doing MSQ quests in the low to mid 40s you may want to be sure you're good to go there.

Outside of that most of the time rough edges in progression like that have smoothed out so multi-leveling is a good way to take advantage of the game systems.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 23, 2021

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I’ve been swapping every other level between Machinist and Samurai, and just been loving around with minor quests on whoever’s farther behind.

The big annoyance is that you have to be at the minimum level for a quest to complete it, even if you’re perfectly capable of doing the entirety of it a level or two lower.

Yeah I genuinely wish there was a leeway in there, say a level or two. I get the intention, but I just wish at the very least you could turn in quests of the tens digit of your level or higher. Why CAN'T my 61 turn in a 62 quest.

That said, it's beyond incredibly easy to finish up a level with a Frontline or MSQR or something and be caught up, so I'm not super worried. I gain almost a level and a half a day on my WHM just doing the roulettes.

That said I guess I'm gonna have to look at what healer or tank I want to level because WHM is gonna be 80 by the end of the week I bet, if roulettes keep outputting xp like they do.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

So I apparently need to do a 24-man raid to be allowed to progress to Heavensward, which you'd think as a paladin would be quick but I was in the queue for an hour before needing to leave; do those work on different timers than regular instances? Is there a preferred time to do them beyond the usual Sunday evening ? And should I get in, is it as painful as the game it's taking inspiration from ?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

FrenchBen posted:

So I apparently need to do a 24-man raid to be allowed to progress to Heavensward, which you'd think as a paladin would be quick but I was in the queue for an hour before needing to leave; do those work on different timers than regular instances? Is there a preferred time to do them beyond the usual Sunday evening ? And should I get in, is it as painful as the game it's taking inspiration from ?

Alliance raids are the worst for tanks, as it only needs 3 out of 24 people to be tanks. Just try any busy evening and you'll get in eventually. And no, it's only cosmetic themes from FF3, don't worry about that.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

FrenchBen posted:

24-man parties have 3 tanks or 1 tank per 8 players. It's a lower ratio than the 1-in-4 everywhere else so tanks generally not an in-demand role for alliance raids and alliance raid roulette. Healer and DPS queues are much shorter.

The 24-mans are straightforward and more spectacle than challenge, although occasionally you have a single wipe on some boss or other. Just mention that it's your first time when you get in and someone will almost certainly alert you to whatever has wipe potential, if anything. The bosses in the Crystal Tower raids are not very complex.

One thing you might want to know going in is that the raid is split into A, B and C "alliance" parties. It's common that the raid has to split to 3 platforms, or that there are 3 targets, etc. When that happens party A goes left, B goes middle, C goes right. Often people will put up markers, but not always.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you played NES FF3 (or the pixel remaster) boy you're gonna be hit upside the head with nostalgia in the CT raids, but they're good. The first one, Labyrinth of the Ancients, is a bit weird since it was originally designed with a 2/2/4 standard class split per party; they changed this later when they realized that it's actually difficult to give six tanks stuff to do in that environment.

And yeah, tank queues for 24 mans are a bit longer; if you're able to join a party going in that can often help speed things along, and there was some flakiness on instance servers this weekend that might not have helped.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Huh, gotta admit I didn't think I'd hear DPS have shorter queues for anything, but I unlocked Samurai and Red Mage and needed to level them anyways

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you level a lot of dps jobs you're probably going to get extra mileage out of content that either needs proportionately more dps players (24 man raids) or is based purely on headcount and ignores roles entirely (POTD/HoH/Bozja, frontlines roulette, etc).

Doesn't mean you can't take advantage of daily roulette bonuses like LDR or MSQDR, but there's a greater likelihood with those that you'll have a bit of time to kill while waiting and can do fates, tribe quests, hunt logs, gathering, Triple Triad, etc.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So I got to 58 on my samurai, got the weak conditional self-heal, but in the brief time I glanced over their ability lists, I didn’t see anything else that mentioned how the Tiger Empowerment or whatever is actually activated.

Unless it means that 20 genki meter ability that buffs your next attack by 50%?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

So I got to 58 on my samurai, got the weak conditional self-heal, but in the brief time I glanced over their ability lists, I didn’t see anything else that mentioned how the Tiger Empowerment or whatever is actually activated.

Eyes Open activates when you successfully use Third Eye, your L6 next hit damage mitigation ability. I'm not sure if that's on the Third Eye tooltip to begin with or if it's added at L58, not really surprising that you wouldn't notice either way.

You get two abilities that use Eyes Open: Merciful Eyes, a small heal, and Hissatsu: Seigan, a kenki spender that does slightly more damage/kenki than the others.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ahh, yeah, I think I can count on one hand how many times I’ve used Third Eye.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Samurai's whole third eye thing is really not worth the trouble unless you're doing like crazy high-end optimization stuff. The window where you have to get hit to trigger is so small, I basically only use it when I'm fighting solo in Eureka or something.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
Honestly, outside of Raiding, I usually press the Eyes button on cooldown just to be in the habit of hitting it. The 1/3rd of the time it works, I get to hit the other button. If not, I just wait until it's off CD again and see if it works that time.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Do you guys think it would be better if Third Eye / Seigan / Merciful Eyes weren't in the game and Samurai got a bigger mitigation on a longer cooldown like Shade Shift instead? I know using Seigan is better than using Shinten if you have unavoidable damage coming but it does seem like a finicky optimization and I don't have the Savage experience to know how often you actually survive something as a SAM because of 10% DR.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Chillgamesh posted:

Do you guys think it would be better if Third Eye / Seigan / Merciful Eyes weren't in the game and Samurai got a bigger mitigation on a longer cooldown like Shade Shift instead? I know using Seigan is better than using Shinten if you have unavoidable damage coming but it does seem like a finicky optimization and I don't have the Savage experience to know how often you actually survive something as a SAM because of 10% DR.

Yes, i would gladly flex to samurai for savage if this was the case and I have a feeling that’s coming in endwalker

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
In early tooltip leaks, Third Eye was something like 20% damage mitigation instead of 5%.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I always hit third eye right before a raidwide and get miffed that I hit it exactly one second too soon.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

It's not insignificant. Raidwides in the last Savage fight of the current expansion hit the entire party for 170k at the top end. My WHM has I think 154k HP with the current 15% echo buff for comparison. Damage reductions are needed to not fall over and there will be raidwides where Third Eye saves your bacon.

It's also not that significant simply because the healers will do enough healing to heal up the person who took the most damage. If everyone survives then taking 10% less damage than everyone else just means you get overhealed by that much afterwards, and your 10% personal mitigation and Merciful Eyes heal effectively did nothing.

All attacks in the game have a random damage variation of ±5% and sometimes there are other personal factors — falloff damage where you might be closer, the occasional single target attack, stuff generally going wrong — that mean that sometimes you're the person who would've taken the most damage and Third Eye makes the difference between being alive and enjoying the floor. Mostly it's a thing you press so you can Seigan later though, even in Savage.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Not used to maintenance times in the evening, guess it makes sense that they would do it Tuesday morning Japan time

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Regalingualius posted:

What’s the name of that track that plays during tense mystery scenes that’s just a few piano notes?

Oh I think I figured ouch which one this is. Can't believe I overlooked it.

(video has DRG50 quest spoilers so maybe just listen)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6i8M20kBY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Regalingualius posted:

I love that there were like 6 legit answers to this.