Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
“Everyone go home, Mike quit as host.” Sounds really promising for his EP tenure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Iron Crowned posted:

The flip side of this is that this is a very public gently caress up on his part now, and unless he goes full scorched earth, it would not look great for him to gently caress over the next host.
Yeah, that's what gives me some hope. At this point I think the last thing that Sony wants is another press cycle with stories about how Mike got jealous and sabotaged the host search. I think they now realize that there are a lot more eyes on the process than they thought there were, and they have a very upset and angry staff that is ready to spread leaks.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Interesting new turn of events:

Mike Richards Steps Down As Host Of ‘Jeopardy!’ Into Reduced Role As Buzzer

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I now feel much better about eventually resuming the audition process. You know, once the border opens back up again.

...at this point I think my time has run out and I'm gonna have to do the online test again, aren't I?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Mike "I just wanted to bbe a moderator" Richards.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Someone at Fremantle was to spread the chaos

https://youtu.be/OoQpiQYESgE

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

cartoons123 posted:

Someone at Fremantle was to spread the chaos

https://youtu.be/OoQpiQYESgE

Started reading the comments before he appeared on stage. One of them was "big Zack Morris energy" and now I can't unsee it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sirotan posted:

Started reading the comments before he appeared on stage. One of them was "big Zack Morris energy" and now I can't unsee it.

I feel like Zach Morris would have more energy

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like Zach Morris would have more energy

It's alright, cause he's saved by the bell

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I honestly don’t really care who they pick after this besides like Dr. Oz. Balik has lovely opinions but doesn’t seem like an interpersonal rear end in a top hat like Richards and she was fine hosting. She’s not my top choice, but not worth no longer watching Jeopardy over like with Richards.

I think Jennings is going to probably going to get it because the narrative that was coming out wasn’t just that Richards sucked, but that Jennings was the very clear heir and it was stolen from him.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm concerned that Sony will be listening to the crowd and make a kneejerk reaction to placate them rather than go based on merit. Ken was ok but there are better choices even if Alex seemingly made him his pick on his deathbed.

There all still calls to make LeVar the host. That means the loudest fans never saw his performance.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He got one day of taping.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Island Nation posted:

There all still calls to make LeVar the host. That means the loudest fans never saw his performance.

No we just watched through the end of the week where he settled in and fixed comparatively minor issues that are clearly easily remedied by even a small amount of experience.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Groovelord Neato posted:

He got one day of taping.

So did George Stephanopoulos, Robin Roberts, David Faber, and Joe Buck though?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
As a general rule it's not good for an executive producer's job longevity when they start popping up in news headlines or having the general public know their names.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mearn posted:

So did George Stephanopoulos, Robin Roberts, David Faber, and Joe Buck though?

Aren't those people all currently or very recently on air personalities.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Here's a podcast interview with Claire McNear regarding her article and the surrounding fallout (it's right at the beginning of the episode, so you don't need to skip ahead or anything).

No big bombshells that most people following this won't already know, but it was nice to hear it all summed up and to get a little more about the process of putting it together and how it correlated with the contacts she has at Jeopardy. She talks a lot about how morale has been really low behind the scenes at the show lately.

It's the first time I've heard that Mike Richards was in the earpiece of all the guest hosts directing their performances as the show was ongoing. I knew he was the one actually guiding them and directing their performances, but I didn't realize it was on such a moment to moment level like that.

She did also mention that she's been working for awhile on the affect the guest hosts had on the contestants this season, pointing out that until Matt it was very rare to have more than a two-game champion with any of the hosts. Should be an interesting read when it drops.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Wonder if he made Levar gently caress it up on purpose.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1428752215326421005?s=20

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I hope this gives the producers the opportunity to totally change direction and pick someone the fans actually want. The choice of Richards and Bialik seems like they did a ton of focus group testing and picked the averages that no actual people actually wanted, they just weren't hated by anybody.

Regarding Laura Coates, I think it's fine that they don't put a ton of weight behind Alex Trebek's specific recommendation for his replacement. His job was host, not producer. Your company isn't going to just hire your buddy, they're going to hire who they think is the best person for the job.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Who knew that Jeopardy would get its own George Lazenby?

This is the best news I've heard all week. I can't think of a single person that liked Richards (except Richards himself).

I dunno this seems kinda unfair to George Lazenby lol

Iron Crowned posted:

Mike "I just wanted to bbe a moderator" Richards.

lol classic

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I'm sure this isn't an original thought, but they should have the guest hosts vie for the job through an actual Jeopardy tournament. I may or may not be suggesting this because I personally want Ken to get the gig. I think the host should at least be capable at the game too.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I dunno this seems kinda unfair to George Lazenby lol

Yeah, I should have specified 'in terms of being a one-off'. I don't think Lazenby had these sort of skeletons in his closet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What's funny to me right now about this whole debacle is, being a gameshow host is what he wants to do, and he's likey to have successfully blacklisted himself from it now.

Had be not been so backhanded about the process and pushed himself through, no one would have went looking for skeletons. He could have instead picked literally anyone else as host, then did fill-ins for whenever they couldn't make it. At that point he'd at least have that experience on his resume for when either a new show or host was needed.

Instead he got greedy and flew way too close to the sun and we see what happened.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I am incredibly happy that Mike Richards ruined his dreams. It kicks rear end.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

What's funny to me right now about this whole debacle is, being a gameshow host is what he wants to do, and he's likey to have successfully blacklisted himself from it now.

Had be not been so backhanded about the process and pushed himself through, no one would have went looking for skeletons. He could have instead picked literally anyone else as host, then did fill-ins for whenever they couldn't make it. At that point he'd at least have that experience on his resume for when either a new show or host was needed.

Instead he got greedy and flew way too close to the sun and we see what happened.

To me the absolute funniest part is he also probably would have gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for the fact that he showed his whole rear end on a loving Price is Right podcast that he ran for two years.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Island Nation posted:

I'm concerned that Sony will be listening to the crowd and make a kneejerk reaction to placate them rather than go based on merit. Ken was ok but there are better choices even if Alex seemingly made him his pick on his deathbed.

Yeah, I don't mind Burton and I think he'd figure it out so I don't fully agree with you, but I am afraid they're doing too much, and are going to focus too much on finding the perfect Jeopardy host. The truth is that nobody talks up Savannah Guthrie, but she was pretty good at the job. Even people like Bill Whitaker who I didn't think was that great would probably eventually figure himself out.

I think the real mistake that they can make here is looking at Alex as if there was some profound magic power that made Alex this uniquely qualified host. The truth was that there wasn't. Trebek was an affable journeyman gameshow host with a nice enough demeanor who projected intelligence. I listened to a Podcast the Ride episode with Mo from Guts and the hosts talked about as a kid that she seemed like this official referee instead of a theme park employee moonlighting on a children's show. I think Trebek had that feel. Jeopardy more than any other game show feels like a major league sport. It feels official and authoritative, and Trebek projected that.

And I think Sony is freaking out about how you find someone to host the show for the next ten or twenty or thirty years who can accomplish that. But as Alex said, he was never the star of the show. The only quality that Alex had that you need to make sure the next host has is respect for the show. That's it. It's why I don't dislike Katie Couric like so many others did. Her 'gee wiz, you guys are so smart!' attitude was different and may not be the ideal host, but it was still ultimately about respecting the game as not just some other game show, but an actual impressive feat.

And for the most part, I think almost any of the guest hosts they've had have that respect because it's Jeopardy. I think even Balik has that respect even if she has lovely beliefs--but so did Alex if we're being honest. That's what made Richards the worst choice besides being a scumbag. I think outside of Dr. Oz, he was the only guest host who actively doesn't respect and has actively disrespected jeopardy. He demonstrated that when he took time from the show to turn what essentially amounted to a workplace acquaintance's beautiful final signicant message to his fans into his little catchphrase.

I think Sony needs to relax and not worry TOO much about the internet reaction and make sure they just get someone who treats the show as bigger than them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Well said

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, he probably could have just waited a little longer and slotted himself in as the host of Wheel of Fortune when the time came and nobody would have cared.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Absolutely, you explained it a lot better than I could Timeless

In the grand scheme of things, Jeopardy is a TV show competing for eyeballs like any other in not only the present but with streaming the past as well. Its uniqueness comes from not treating the audience like drooling morons (a common problem for daytime TV) but by rewarding them for knowing a wide range of subjects even if only on a elementary level. Even if Art and Alex were just old game show hands, they exhibited a deft authority with how the game and thus knowledge should be treated. It’s the only daytime game show that takes it’s subject seriously (this doesn’t mean other shows are inferior, people need silliness too) and commands attention.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1429812533519650819?s=21

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I don't see anyone having a problem with him. I always figured people expected him to become the host for years now.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It's very funny to go through all this rigmarole to end up choosing the guy everybody expected and 90% wanted from Day 1.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yeah if you're going for the least controversial host at this point it's definitely Jennings.

I thought he did a great job, but honestly I thought most of them did a perfectly acceptable job by the third taping or so.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I wonder if they'll be gun shy about his bad tweets given what took Richards down. At least he apologized?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don't think Jennings had anything as bad as what richards said

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was a little meh on Jennings but at this point yes, sure. Please go right ahead.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

zakharov posted:

I wonder if they'll be gun shy about his bad tweets given what took Richards down. At least he apologized?

You'd think they would already be totally aware of them, but they somehow didn't vet Richard's podcast, so who knows

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I would be very surprised if they don't know about it. Almost no one at all knew about Richards' crap until he picked himself as host. Of course, they should have done their due diligence, but garden variety laziness can explain their ignorance of his podcasts. On the other hand, if you care about Jeopardy, you'd have to have stuck your head in the sand for quite a while to have missed the controversy about Jennings' bad tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

The difference as I see it is that while everyone inevitably has some embarrassing, inappropriate thing in their past that can be dug up, not everyone demonstrates that they are no longer that person today. In Ken's case, I think it's really clear that those things just weren't seen as being super problematic back then. We changed as a culture, and he has kept pace with that and changed as well.

Richards, on the other hand, is clearly the same person he was when he hosted that podcast and you get the general vibe from those who've worked with him more recently that this hasn't changed.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah if you're going for the least controversial host at this point it's definitely Jennings.

I thought he did a great job, but honestly I thought most of them did a perfectly acceptable job by the third taping or so.

This has been my primary point all along, especially in defending Burton. You can teach someone to be a better host from a technical perspective, most of them just naturally settle into it after just a few games and it's a matter of developing fluency and shaking off nerves. Ken started off a little rough and by his second week was really smooth.

But if you just don't have any personality and don't bring anything to the role, that's not something a few more days on set is going to fix.

Part of it, to be honest, is also capturing a little of Alex's aura of unabashed pro-intellectualism. You always felt like if he wanted to he could hand over the reins to a guest host and step up to a podium and wipe the floor with 90% of the contestants. It made his snark about wrong answers and triple stumpers endearing. With Ken, you absolutely know for a fact that he could probably destroy you and probably isn't even looking at the clue sheet most of the time. You don't get any of those really unfunny attempts at editorializing after clues just to say there was no way they would have known that or anything else that hints at that incredibly American pride in not knowing things.

Still rooting for Burton, but Ken does feel like a natural heir to the podium and did a fine job in his guest weeks.