Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sigher posted:

I don't give a single loving poo poo about how dangerous this is it's loving amazing and I want to see it in a Mad Max film.

gently caress that, I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

THE EYES DON’T WORK!

Her first mistake was wearing a helmet instead of an ice cream container.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1NCNh1Sdc

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That couldn't have been cheap.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

I like how you can hear the high-speed cameras start up as it goes over the cliff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Given the history of the films, I'm 50/50 if Tom Cruise was riding the train all the way down.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

gently caress that, I want one.

Pfft, call me once he upgraded to one without the lame training wheels :rolleyes:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That couldn't have been cheap.

well a 1/87 scale model of that steam engine is $265.09 so it should cost about $22k for the full size, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Back to the Future just used a model and it looked real enough.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

punishedkissinger posted:

well a 1/87 scale model of that steam engine is $265.09 so it should cost about $22k for the full size, right?

If we assume price is proportial to volume, rather than length, it would be $265*87^3, or $175M

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
poo poo if that's actually being propelled by steam I was hoping for a boiler explosion.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If any movie had steam engine crash money it'd be an MI. But since it just went smash instead of kaboom I could be convinced that's a simpler engine clad to look like a cool steam train.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, I'm not a train guy, but it would be a shame to smash up an actual steam train if it was still working. I assume they just build up a realistic looking steam train around something cheap and then rigged it to billow smoke.

Edit: Oh wow, talk about movie goof ups. The full size train used for the non-crashing scenes in Back to the Future was Sierra Railway No. 3, which was built in 1891, six years after when the movie takes place. I hope someone got fired over that blunder.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 23, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cojawfee posted:

it would be a shame to smash up an actual steam train if it was still working.

lol why?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steam trains are cool, they’re not being made any more, and they belong in museums.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

sigher posted:

Saw this in Vegas over the weekend:

Tesla not even trying to hide the disdain for their occupants anymore

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Steam trains are cool, they’re not being made any more, and they belong in museums.

Still, I think we should sacrifice one or two for the new Mission: Impossible movie

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's not like the technology died with their common use. We can still build steam engines.

I was thinking more total costs, between whatever the steamer cost, and clean up for chucking it into a river. Where'd they film that scene?

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I'm not a train guy, but it would be a shame to smash up an actual steam train if it was still working. I assume they just build up a realistic looking steam train around something cheap and then rigged it to billow smoke.

Now I'm curious if they rigged up a launch system like an aircraft carrier catapult or something.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 23, 2021

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

sigher posted:

I don't give a single loving poo poo about how dangerous this is it's loving amazing and I want to see it in a Mad Max film.
You can see more about it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eW_XXIn6CU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Antigravitas posted:

I think the artist is trying to tell us something.

Warning sign: AUFZUG GESPERRT!

Me: haha aufzug goes brrt *dies falling down empty elevator shaft*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

Still, I think we should sacrifice one or two for the new Mission: Impossible movie

It’s like trophy hunting: you charge rich bastards for the privilege of destroying a few precious things to fund conservation of the rest.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/hiSnrnf.gifv

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's not like the technology died with their common use. We can still build steam engines.

If money is no object, sure. But it is, and no factory has the tooling or molds to produce the thousands of parts needed to build a steam engine.

So for all practical purposes, we can't really build a steam engine anymore.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ESDK posted:

Pfft, call me once he upgraded to one without the lame training wheels :rolleyes:

e: Buster Keaton's General already did that in 1926 with a record budget of $750,000 (equivalent to $11,567,923 in 2021 bucks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCH-tUmMl7Q&t=72s

Of course it wouldn't be a Buster Keaton movie without everything in the production being hugely OSHA related!

quote:

According to a United Artists press release at the time, the film had 3,000 people on its payroll and cost $400 an hour to make.[7] Entertainment trade papers reported rumors that the film's budget had grown to between $500,000 and $1 million, and that Keaton was out of control, building real bridges and having dams constructed in order to change the depth of rivers. Producer Schenck was angry at Keaton over the growing costs. There were also numerous on-set accidents that contributed to the growing budget. This included Keaton being knocked unconscious; an assistant director being shot in the face with a blank cartridge; a train wheel running over a brakeman's foot, resulting in a $2,900 lawsuit; and the train's wood-burning engine causing numerous fires. The fires often spread to forests and farmers' haystacks, which cost the production $25 per burnt stack.

On July 23, Keaton shot the climactic train wreck scene in the conifer forest near Cottage Grove. The town declared a local holiday so that everyone could watch the spectacle. Between three and four thousand local residents showed up,[8] including 500 extras from the Oregon National Guard. (Elsewhere in the film, the Oregon National Guard members appear dressed as both Union and Confederate soldiers who cross the landscape in the background of the train tracks). Keaton used six cameras for the train wreck scene, which began four hours late and required several lengthy trial runs. The train wreck of the "Texas" shot cost $42,000, which is the most expensive single shot in silent film history.[9][10] The production company left the wreckage in the river bed after the scene was filmed. The locomotive became a minor tourist attraction for nearly twenty years, until it was salvaged in 1944–45 for scrap during World War II.

Another fire broke out during the filming of a large fight scene, which not only cost the production $50,000, but also forced Keaton and the crew to return to Los Angeles on August 6 due to excessive smoke in the air.[11] Heavy rains finally cleared the smoke in late August and production resumed. Shooting wrapped on September 18. Keaton had shot 200,000 feet of film and began a lengthy editing process for a late December release date.[12]

There's also a bit of, uh, damper in the background of the movie. It's still a masterpiece but one sympathetic to the South, maybe partly because Keaton loved Birth of A Nation as a kid, but also because audiences of the time expected that sort of treatment.

https://daily.jstor.org/what-drove-buster-keaton-to-try-a-civil-war-comedy/

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 23, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If money is no object, sure. But it is, and no factory has the tooling or molds to produce the thousands of parts needed to build a steam engine.

The wikipedia for steam locomotives would love to disagree with you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_locomotives_of_the_21st_century

There's a list of recently completed, and currently under construction steam engines.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
During the war, Switzerland retrofitted some steam locomotives to use electric boilers. The country faced coal shortages, but their hydroelectric dams kept working so they were good on that front.

Unfortunately, all were converted back to coal.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Steam power is deceptively simple and we're much better at making wild poo poo than the we were in the 1860s.

3d printing obviates the need for casting for small runs and high end manufacturing is going closed-loop finally so CNC accuracy is wild.

We absolutely can make them, and I see another train weird showed that too. It's mostly a question of how you produce the steam engine most economically for your market.

A steam train may be more attractive for a sugar plantation since they'll have ample plant matter to feed boilers with as part of processing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

A steam train may be more attractive for a sugar plantation since they'll have ample plant matter to feed boilers with as part of processing.

Some industrial facilities used steam engines with no fireboxes at all.

If you’re already producing superheated steam for your sawmill or whatever, you can just squirt the superhot water into a locomotive’s tank and drive the pistons off that for a short while.

Fake edit: They’re called fireless locomotives and as of 2017, at least two sugar mills in Indonesia used them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I bet we can build boilers a thousand times stronger than 100 years ago. It should be possible to build a modern "steam engine" that burns bio fuel to spin a turbine to power traction motors and it could probably look just like a diesel locomotive

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

FuturePastNow posted:

I bet we can build boilers a thousand times stronger than 100 years ago. It should be possible to build a modern "steam engine" that burns bio fuel to spin a turbine to power traction motors and it could probably look just like a diesel locomotive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGMY63FF3Q

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Turbines are not well suited to moving vehicles, as it is difficult to change their speed. They're best suited to constant speed uses, like power generation.

Piston engines are less efficient, but handle changing load situations much better.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
https://i.imgur.com/wl2Pivf.mp4

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
CVT transmissions don't seem to mind picking an RPM range and sticking to it while fluctuating output speed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

During the war, Switzerland retrofitted some steam locomotives to use electric boilers. The country faced coal shortages, but their hydroelectric dams kept working so they were good on that front.

Did they use batteries as an electric source, or did they run overhead lines?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Did they use batteries as an electric source, or did they run overhead lines?

Overhead lines, and it looked so wrong.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

In world wars electric locomotives also had the benefit of not causing big visible plumes that would draw attention.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pretty cool though

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FuturePastNow posted:

I think you're on to something but maybe we just stick the turbine in a hall and let the electricity rip down a wire.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nenonen posted:

In world wars electric locomotives also had the benefit of not causing big visible plumes that would draw attention.

It’s Switzerland. If anything, they wanted to be seen.

The German town of Konstanz, on the Swiss border, kept their lights on all war, reasoning that Allied planes would assume they were looking at a neutral Swiss town.

The ruse worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Right, I was speaking more generally.