Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Good soup! posted:

And during the battle scenes where to show them dodging inside the mechs, they would just zoom in to a still of their face and just spin the completely motionless cel 360 degrees around a CGI background, I mean holy poo poo, Berserk 97 (I'd imagine) had an even smaller budget and never did anything as embarrassing as that lmao

quote:

Hongo attempted to adapt the manga closely while integrating interesting story elements and 3D CGI animation, used in the battles between the Ingrids and Victim alongside the traditional cel animation.[5] Hongo felt the possibilities with the CGI were limitless; 3D director Tokumitsu Kifune did not think these portions of the show would not have been possible with 2D animation

Yeah well, technically he's not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

give me recs for philosophical anime

but like not the big ones everyone says like GITS or lain

.Hack/Sign

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

.hack//suck

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
only things I remember about .hack//sign are 1) main character is a boy in the game but a girl in real life holy gently caress... 2) there was a lady named B.T. because B.L.T.s were her favorite sandwich but she didn't like lettuce so she'd get it with no lettuce

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah well, technically he's not wrong.

GitS SAC came out just two years later and it’s CG aged far, far better (well the intro to the first season not so much). Hell, the show was widescreen in 2002.

The CG in Blue Submarine 6 also wasn’t terrible, having rewatched it recently, and it started in ‘98. The real problem is it’s only 4 episodes, which isn’t enough to develop its themes or characters very much.

The .hack PS2 games were some how way more boring as a kid than .hack//sign. .sign at least had loads of character development, even if there wasn’t any action. The PS2 games were like a Diablo clone without loot.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think some efforts at using CGI at the time ended up aging well because directors and animators understood its limitations, but the guys behind Candidate for Goddess ended up going hog wild with it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

wolf's rain is better than witch hunter robin because the show actually gets less boring over time

Wolf's rain is only memorable for the very powerful four recap episode combo.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Rewatching Samurai Champloo and it's way better than I remember it being.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
i attended an anime con panel at the library of congress about the music of samurai champloo with shing02, and it was great tbh

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Good soup! posted:

.hack//suck

Twenty-six episodes, and I remember like, three of them. Also, there's a video game or something you're supposed to play

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
the soundtrack loving rips though. yuki kajiura does nothing but bangers basically

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i attended an anime con panel at the library of congress about the music of samurai champloo with shing02, and it was great tbh

That's pretty sweet. Was it filled with terrible weebs?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

shing02 seems cool, rip Nujabes though:smith:

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

net work error posted:

That's pretty sweet. Was it filled with terrible weebs?

i mean as much as any con panel could be. like 90% of the questions asked were thoughtful and genuinely relevant

i'm guessing the venue being the loc instead of the convention center probably filtered it a little bit

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Pulcinella posted:

The CG in Blue Submarine 6 also wasn’t terrible, having rewatched it recently, and it started in ‘98. The real problem is it’s only 4 episodes, which isn’t enough to develop its themes or characters very much.

I remember liking Blue Submarine 6 but I also can’t remember a single goddamn thing about it, which says enough

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Retromancer posted:

Rewatching Samurai Champloo and it's way better than I remember it being.

It's really good, y'all!

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

HootTheOwl posted:

It's really good, y'all!

I think it was kind of a victim of its own hype back when it first came out, being Watanabe's follow up to Bebop. removed from those expectations it's a very good show but people expected the next bebop.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Retromancer posted:

I think it was kind of a victim of its own hype back when it first came out, being Watanabe's follow up to Bebop. removed from those expectations it's a very good show but people expected the next bebop.

Champloo was insanely popular at the time it came out. wtf are you talking about?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah, texhnolyze rocks. If you want to feel bad that is.

I could appreciate what Lain and Haibane Renmei were doing, but Texhnolyze was genuinely my favourite of the Yoshitoshi ABe trilogy. It had atmosphere you could cut with a knife, and the episodes on the surface were incredible. I've got a soft spot for a show with a Juno Reactor OP, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3SzOzm8lmo

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Champloo was insanely popular at the time it came out. wtf are you talking about?

I remember the reaction being more mixed but all I have to go on are memories from 15 years ago so I could be talking out of my rear end.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i remember it being popular but nowhere near the touchstone that bebop was

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

obsessed with that assassin guy in samurai champloo that tried to shoot his shot with jin and his plan was joining him in the hot spring with the banging opening line “did you know fireflies... can be gay”

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nothing could ever be the kind of touchstone that Bebop was because it was the flagship anime series for Adult Swim. For a lot of people that was their first big exposure to anime.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Retromancer posted:

I don't get this because it's pretty much as good as bebop?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

saturday night bebop high as gently caress probably cannot be topped

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

at the time me or my friends realized that champloo was made by the same guy who did cowboy bebop. One of us had the samurai champloo soundtrack cd and it made the rounds. Champloo was prob more popular then bebop with my friends who weren't super huge anime nerds. the glory days of living in a off-line bubble.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well as long as we're on the subject, Space Dandy remains Watanabe's most underrated show. Maybe it doesn't have a great plot or lame & cliched tropes, but it's a real showcase for what different styles and storytelling animation is capable of just being built off of a simple premise. A truly experimental work of comedic art.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Well as long as we're on the subject, Space Dandy remains Watanabe's most underrated show. Maybe it doesn't have a great plot or lame & cliched tropes, but it's a real showcase for what different styles and storytelling animation is capable of just being built off of a simple premise. A truly experimental work of comedic art.

Space Dandy is a show I absolutely didn’t think I’d like as much as I did. Watched a couple episodes being like “yeah, this is okay. He really likes boobs, yup. What’s good though?” and then practically marathoned the whole thing after. poo poo like the race episode or the one about the prom queen challenger with the incredible rear end are episodes that all rapidly escalate beyond your wildest expectations

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I was definitely not expecting it to have a rotating cast of directors, key animators, and studios each doing their own sequences or individual episodes. What a ride. The episode where they encounter alternate universe versions of themselves who are all different genres of anime is one of the funniest things ever made.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Ironically it was Champloo that helped the exposure of nujabes and eventual explosion of Chillhop etc which is absolutely a big cultural force now. I think Champloos impact is huge just subtle, it's still an adult swim show from the early era. It's absolutely the anime for non anime nerds.

I still think Bebop is the best of those shows though, it earned it. I would still go so far as to call it The Best Anime That Isn't A Film if you had some bullshit top 100 list. It has incredible pacing all around and perfectly blurs the line between episodic and long term plot content. The music is great and unique throughout every episode while maintaining a consistent theme, the shows emotional content is mature without being overwrought, the animation is about as good as you get for the time for a TV show. I know Eva had a bigger impact in japan but Bebop like, legitimized anime in the west. The english voice cast being lightning striking twice doesn't hurt.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Space dandys so loving good. I'm gonna get stoned and rewatch.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GoLambo posted:

Ironically it was Champloo that helped the exposure of nujabes and eventual explosion of Chillhop etc which is absolutely a big cultural force now. I think Champloos impact is huge just subtle, it's still an adult swim show from the early era. It's absolutely the anime for non anime nerds.

I still think Bebop is the best of those shows though, it earned it. I would still go so far as to call it The Best Anime That Isn't A Film if you had some bullshit top 100 list. It has incredible pacing all around and perfectly blurs the line between episodic and long term plot content. The music is great and unique throughout every episode while maintaining a consistent theme, the shows emotional content is mature without being overwrought, the animation is about as good as you get for the time for a TV show. I know Eva had a bigger impact in japan but Bebop like, legitimized anime in the west. The english voice cast being lightning striking twice doesn't hurt.

I know this is basic bitch anime opinion, but I totally agree with you. Cowboy bebop is just one of those once every 10 year greats. Everything comes together so well, it's unbelievable.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Cowboy bebop SUCKS

because they never did a follow up series where Ed and Ein solve space crimes while her theme plays the entire show

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol timely, netflix just released cast pics of their adaptation.

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1429790569946046464

Looks pretty bad imo. I mean live action adaptations are never good, but the vibe from spike and faye are just off. Jet looks good.

It's so annoying that due to racism, john cho is basically the only asian male actor in hollywood. he's way too old. I'll still watch that crap anyways.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

lmao so many nerds will be big mad that Faye doesn't have her hooters hanging out constantly.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Looks like that godawful Watch series they did

And where the gently caress is Ed, the best character

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Retromancer posted:

lmao so many nerds will be big mad that Faye doesn't have her hooters hanging out constantly.

they're right :colbert:

In this time when the women of Afghanistan are about to lose everything, we shouldn't be forcing modesty onto Faye Valentine.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Aug 23, 2021

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

where’s Ed!!!! if they have the dog they should have Ed

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
the color palettes and set designs look way off/dreary as hell. why is it so muted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
They need to figure out how to take the animation out without taking the anime out.