Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Opioid posted:

Please make No Mans Sky but without all this space travel and planet discovery garbage

i dont see the problem with that? no mans sky already exists and i would be kind of dissapointed if the next game hello made was a similar space travel game. they could definitely take the same kind of idea of exploration and do it with just one big biologically/ecologically diverse planet and provide a great experience while also being very different from nms

i mean is their purpose as game company to make just one game and then just update that game forever? surely they will move on at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Opioid posted:

Please make No Mans Sky but without all this space travel and planet discovery garbage

I'm still asking for discovery and travel through a space, a larger space where distance has more meaning. What I'm asking for a lot taller and deeper of an order than what NMS currently has.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
someone figure out how to make 6dof snowrunner in space so i can stop pinning all my hopes and dreams to every space game that gets announced tyvm

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I felt pretty bent at first when I picked this up and the technology to build boxes appeared to have been lost to the sands of time and space. Whereas in like every other crafting survival game that's like the first thing you learn to make.

Got over that hurdle, now I'm growing nipweed in my freighter/mobile grow op.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The progression on those storage boxes is also whack as gently caress. I built a bunch on my nice base, then progressed the story some more, at which point they locked the ability to build them until I progressed whatever questline to unlock them. Which also meant I had wasted my nanites or whatever on unlocking them in the first place.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Khanstant posted:

The progression on those storage boxes is also whack as gently caress. I built a bunch on my nice base, then progressed the story some more, at which point they locked the ability to build them until I progressed whatever questline to unlock them. Which also meant I had wasted my nanites or whatever on unlocking them in the first place.

on my last run i broke the entire expanding the base questline because i became obsessed with attacking manufacturing facilities to plunder blueprints from and ran into a wall where it wanted me to learn a recipe i already had learned and nothing i did fixed that

e: also after being to almost 30 red star systems, i finally found one that has a space station. not only that, it has *2* planets with activated cadmium. guess that's gonna be my new home system, hot drat.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 18, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Today I learn what happens if you build a base close enough to another that it your electrical hot spot is actually a part of the new base.

It actually seems to leave what you have grandfathered in and flowing to the other base but not fully understanding what was happening and why the other generators I built were not part of the grid, I tried to rebuild and well…I guess that oxygen mine I was only going to half use is going to have plenty of power.

I also noticed that several base-size extension structures have become part of the new base. I guess I should probably remove those to avoid further overlap.

All of this because I noticed the ceiling lights didn’t come on in a building that I don’t really give a gently caress about and am making a restaurant as a lark.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So anyone ever do co-op in this? I like the concepts of the game, but eh I’m not a big base builder…or I suck at design…or both. I’ve been enjoying the gathering stuff more since I started playing Conan Exiles, but I’d like to be able to play helping out, but not having to worry about base layout and the like.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So anyone ever do co-op in this? I like the concepts of the game, but eh I’m not a big base builder…or I suck at design…or both. I’ve been enjoying the gathering stuff more since I started playing Conan Exiles, but I’d like to be able to play helping out, but not having to worry about base layout and the like.

yea ive done a couple coop missions with randos through the nexus. the missions are a bit limited, its usually just go to some planet and identify a certain number of animals or gather some poo poo, and thats all there is to it, so kinda boring but thne i dont have a headset so i wasnt able to talk to the randos i was paired with

also there are actually whole elaborate "civilizations" of people who build together and explore certain regions of the galaxies and designate them as "theirs". thats all organized on reddit as far as i can tell, and its a movement that started before there was actual multiplayer in the game, so its not exactly coop about but it might be a good way to find people to play collaboratively with

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 23, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Earwicker posted:

yea ive done a couple coop missions with randos through the nexus. the missions are a bit limited, its usually just go to some planet and identify a certain number of animals or gather some poo poo, and thats all there is to it, so kinda boring but thne i dont have a headset so i wasnt able to talk to the randos i was paired with

also there are actually whole elaborate "civilizations" of people who build together and explore certain regions of the galaxies and designate them as "theirs". thats all organized on reddit as far as i can tell, and its a movement that started before there was actual multiplayer in the game, so its not exactly coop about but it might be a good way to find people to play collaboratively with

Cool thanks for the advice. I’ll check that out. That sounds like it might be right up my alley.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Cool thanks for the advice. I’ll check that out. That sounds like it might be right up my alley.

tbh it would be neat to have a little Goonsystem to hang out in

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

tbh it would be neat to have a little Goonsystem to hang out in

I’m game, it would be leagues better then random redditors. Any ideas how to get the ball rolling?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’m game, it would be leagues better then random redditors. Any ideas how to get the ball rolling?

Easiest way might be to find a planet with a portal and post the address. Then anyone who finds + powers up a portal can teleport there and build base teleporters to allow easy access from their home system.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 23, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i mean its as simple as someone picking a "hub" or "capital" planet and sharing the portal address to start with. and then its just a matter of enough people actually being interested in building bases/hanging around there that it actually turns into a place. i think there was just never enough people interested in it at the same time on SA

in earlier versions of the game it was a pain in the rear end because teleporting via portal meant not being able to build bases or access most of your stuff, so people developed intricate methods of being able to all navigate to the same place using offsite tools (e.g. the "pilgrim star process"). but thats no longer necessary because now you bring everything through portals and can build bases wherever you go, so the barrier to entry is much lower.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Easiest way might be to find a planet with a portal and post the address. Then anyone who finds + powers up a portal can teleport there and build base teleporters to allow easy access from their home system.

Sounds like a plan. I meant to ask is the MP/CO-OP cross platform or platform locked?

That said I really never got far, so while I’ll try, I’d suggest others try too…as they/you might get it a lot faster.

Edit: ^I’m not surprised that with the…unique launch…that the interest wasn’t there. Hopefully there will be this time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Sounds like a plan. I meant to ask is the MP/CO-OP cross platform or platform locked?

Nope! I'm on PC and I've grouped up with console players. If you want I'll go exploring for an interesting portal planet later, I have one on my starting world but that place is a boring dustbowl.

EDIT: what am I talking about I can literally just power up my existing portal and enter a random address

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 23, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nope! I'm on PC and I've grouped up with console players.

Awesome that eliminates half of the problems I had trying to get a Conan Exiles server up. Okay I guess we all get started and post when we have a Goon Planet.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Earwicker posted:

...i dont have a headset so i wasn't able to talk to the randos i was paired with

Is this why almost no one text chats when I team up with randos? Everyone's using a mic?

Also does the Translate Text feature work for anyone? Apparently it's supposed to work when grouped.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

on my last run i broke the entire expanding the base questline because i became obsessed with attacking manufacturing facilities to plunder blueprints from and ran into a wall where it wanted me to learn a recipe i already had learned and nothing i did fixed that

e: also after being to almost 30 red star systems, i finally found one that has a space station. not only that, it has *2* planets with activated cadmium. guess that's gonna be my new home system, hot drat.

That quest was one of the last things I did before I retired the game, it's wonky. I blew up so many of them with my ships and it turns out they would only count it if I did it on foot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Waiting on my Frontiers, Sean.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
played subnautica, whet my appetite for having a mobile base that doesn't shoot me through the roof

frontiers when, sean

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

PeePot posted:

Is this why almost no one text chats when I team up with randos? Everyone's using a mic?

Between consoles getting voice chat as standard in the 360 era, and MMOs requiring super tight coordination, voice chat with randoms is considered normal.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

played subnautica, whet my appetite for having a mobile base that doesn't shoot me through the roof

frontiers when, sean

Freighters always should have been beautiful mobile bases that you built from scratch. Huge hydroponics domes, windows all over, an expanded hangar, a shipyard that allowed you to scrap ships then redesign and build new ones.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Mailer posted:

Between consoles getting voice chat as standard in the 360 era, and MMOs requiring super tight coordination, voice chat with randoms is considered normal.

You'd think seeing more than half of the other players having the console icon above their head would have clued me in. Time to turn voice chat on. My instinct was to turn it off, but I'm probably not going to get an earful of comments about my mother from DarmokJalad82 for not collecting Indium fast enough.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PeePot posted:

You'd think seeing more than half of the other players having the console icon above their head would have clued me in. Time to turn voice chat on. My instinct was to turn it off, but I'm probably not going to get an earful of comments about my mother from DarmokJalad82 for not collecting Indium fast enough.

I usually leave voice chat off in console games when playing with randos because yeah you won't get normally get a stream of abuse, just you'll hear dudes singing to themselves, a fan in the background, and someone eating while having a conversation with someone else in the room, or a 10 year old constantly asking if anyone else has a mic.
Haven't seen if NMS is any better.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolness Averted posted:

I usually leave voice chat off in console games when playing with randos because yeah you won't get normally get a stream of abuse, just you'll hear dudes singing to themselves, a fan in the background, and someone eating while having a conversation with someone else in the room, or a 10 year old constantly asking if anyone else has a mic.
Haven't seen if NMS is any better.

Also don’t forget Harry Potters. Same as the ten year old, but British.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

If anyone wants a shared point to build bases and generally bimble about on, I've built a little base here:

http://nmsportals.github.io/#2051DA97F914

You'll need to find a portal and power up the glyfs to get there. It's a rather pleasant purple world, I've made a basic base on it but that's about it (I haven't really explored or named the planets in the system)

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 24, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If anyone wants a shared point to build bases and generally bimble about on, I've built a little base here:

http://nmsportals.github.io/#2051DA97F914

You'll need to find a portal and power up the glyfs to get there. It's a rather pleasant purple world, I've made a basic base on it but that's about it (I haven't really explored or named the planets in the system)

Thanks! This should work quite nicely…well once I get a portal and figure out how to use it. lol

But seriously this is cool and I look forward to chilling at the Goon Eisley Spaceport. :)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

not being able to get in on planet goon because i'm playing permadeath (permadeath and survival each have their own separate universes to standard) is the first time i've actually regretted playing on permadeath lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

not being able to get in on planet goon because i'm playing permadeath (permadeath and survival each have their own separate universes to standard) is the first time i've actually regretted playing on permadeath lol

Can’t you just start a separate save file?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I could be wrong in 2021, but TTBOMK whilst you can group crossplatform and do everything / see everything together, base discovery is platform locked.
Bear it in mind when considering who'd visit indium mines before you effort a setup for instance.

IMO the game really shines the most when you co-op with a friend and go on a free form adventure and set goals as you go.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Thanks! This should work quite nicely…well once I get a portal and figure out how to use it. lol

But seriously this is cool and I look forward to chilling at the Goon Eisley Spaceport. :)

Just a heads up that base building in NMS is sort of janky and rigged up to have one base per player per planet

https://nomanssky.fandom.com/wiki/Base_building

No Man's Sky Wiki posted:

Only one base per player will be visible per planet or moon to other players who are not in a lobby with the base owner. The most recently uploaded base will be the one that appears to other players. Uploading a different base on that planet or moon will cause that base to appear instead of one that previously appeared to others.

I wish they'd include shared base building

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Still no word on Frontiers, eh?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Can someone explain to me what the lockers do in the Colossal Archives? For the life of me I can't figure out what goes in them, even after reading the wiki.

drat though that is one of the coolest moments ever, when you are idlely looking for space trash on the floor and you come over a ridge and see like the deathstar just hanging out on the ground.

Khablam posted:

I could be wrong in 2021, but TTBOMK whilst you can group crossplatform and do everything / see everything together, base discovery is platform locked.
Bear it in mind when considering who'd visit indium mines before you effort a setup for instance.

IMO the game really shines the most when you co-op with a friend and go on a free form adventure and set goals as you go.

There are symbols next to people's bases that indicate whether or not they are console (although I don't know which ones) or steam players. As long as you're in the same universe and same mode I think you'd probably be able to find another player's base with a combo of portal coordinates and longitude/latitude coordinates. Which is a really arduous way to find anything I admit. But doable!

The game is so weird when there's a lot of people in the same place. I spent a good amount of time today in the Void Egg place and it was pretty wild.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wish they'd include shared base building

I really hope this is what Frontiers is

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Rick posted:

Can someone explain to me what the lockers do in the Colossal Archives? For the life of me I can't figure out what goes in them, even after reading the wiki.

What you're putting in has to have SAMPLE in it's name or description. Then it gives you another sample or artifact of usually higher value.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Is it safe to sell the artifacts it gives you? I just happened to have some artifacts at the time I tried it and didn't really know what it was for but 2M credits was a big deal at the time.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

MikeRabsitch posted:

Is it safe to sell the artifacts it gives you? I just happened to have some artifacts at the time I tried it and didn't really know what it was for but 2M credits was a big deal at the time.

So those lockers only accept the samples that the quest giver sends you out for not any other one you got beforehand. They're pure credit fodder so feel free to sell them all, even the alleged cursed one doesn't seem to work and will waste your inventory space.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Frontiers when Sean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm a little surprised we haven't had another Expedition yet either. I kinda thought those would more or less always be going like a season pass sort of thing. But then there's been nothing since that weird 2 week long one for the Mass Effect ship and that was 2 or 3 months ago?