Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Doomykins posted:

"we're doing away with things that didn't work"

I didn't mind it but what would the fanbase pan DS1 for.. the asteroid shooting turret part? The only things that didn't work that come to mind are what EA themselves did to DS3.

Pretty much where I'm coming from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

al-azad posted:

The only thing that sticks out as flaws to me are the insane power of the cutter and that ammo drops favor equipped weapons so there’s little incentive to vary your Arsenal and you’re actually punished for doing so.

"Your starting spooky land weapon is not a piece of poo poo placeholder" is one of the things that stands out about Dead Space in a good way, though.

I would much rather stuff like the flamer be made better than boring "We re-balanced the *thing that works*, which means means giving the poo poo weapons a pitiful +2% buff is actually big in this new context!" style :airquote: "Balance pass"

See also: Every time someone hypes up System Shock 2 as the masterpiece of horror space gaming, then backpedals to "Oh but it would be much better if your all your weapons and powers sucked instead of only some of them."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 23, 2021

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Bring back the weapon modifications from Dead Space 3, that was the best part.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And put inventory Tetris in it, and let me see it all on your character's back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Section Z posted:

"Your starting spooky land weapon is not a piece of poo poo placeholder" is one of the things that stands out about Dead Space in a good way, though.

I would much rather stuff like the flamer be made better than boring "We re-balanced the *thing that works*, which means means giving the poo poo weapons a pitiful +2% buff is actually big in this new context!" style :airquote: "Balance pass"

See also: Every time someone hypes up System Shock 2 as the masterpiece of horror space gaming, then backpedals to "Oh but it would be much better if your all your weapons and powers sucked instead of only some of them."

In Dead Space's case it's that the entire gimmick of the game's design is around dismembering enemies so when every other weapon is bad at doing that you have a game with a worthless inventory.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
"we focus tested the original and found it was too complicated so now enemies have HP bars, Isaac can level up, you can equip new weapons that have level requirements and random modifiers, and there's no more dismembering required to kill bad guys. We think this will really engage new players in this environment as we look forward to the future of the Dead Space game infrastructure."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I would make a joke about putting microtransactions in the survival horror game but then remembered they actually did that in DS3

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm going to hate it, aren't i?

:(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gamerant is a machine-written click aggregator designed to generate maximum SEO, the only actual quote of substance is a developer saying "yeah we're making some QoL improvements and adding back cut content."

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

dogstile posted:

I'm going to hate it, aren't i?

:(

It most likely won't be terrible. I'm setting my expectations low, It's just...EA y'know?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

exquisite tea posted:

Gamerant is a machine-written click aggregator designed to generate maximum SEO, the only actual quote of substance is a developer saying "yeah we're making some QoL improvements and adding back cut content."

QoL improvements is usually shorthand for "streamlining" which usually ends up in things being changed that I don't like, so it works especially well here.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just lol if you weren't good at ripping limbs off with the Pulse Rifle entirely to show all the game's mooks why they had no goddamn excuse for dying so easily.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

fine, we'll give isaac tank controls. happy?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The default weapon was a little too good but I routinely used the flamethrower and pulse rifle. I think there was also a point blank shockwave gun in 1 or 2 that was great, it staggered everything and insta-gibbed the swarmers the flamethrower was good for too. Pulse rifle alt fire was great in a panic situation as well.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
They're updating Isaac's name to reference more hip sci fi authors. Meet L. Ron Dick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

fine, we'll give isaac tank controls. happy?

Really hitting on that "Resident Evil in space" design goal aren't we?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Night10194 posted:

Just lol if you weren't good at ripping limbs off with the Pulse Rifle entirely to show all the game's mooks why they had no goddamn excuse for dying so easily.

The pulse with an underbarrel nade in 3 was just beautiful. Really in character for ol' carver too

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

In all honesty I imagine they'll just be doing stuff slight slightly modifying the controls, tweaking some numbers, updating the UI, maybe slightly changing some dialogue. Don't think they'll be doing much more because, let's be honest, more than that takes effort and budget and why spend either when then there's no reason to?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Morpheus posted:

In all honesty I imagine they'll just be doing stuff slight slightly modifying the controls, tweaking some numbers, updating the UI, maybe slightly changing some dialogue. Don't think they'll be doing much more because, let's be honest, more than that takes effort and budget and why spend either when then there's no reason to?

I mean they're already completely redoing the graphics and art assets which takes more time, effort, and money than anything else.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

exquisite tea posted:

If you ever make a google alert for a game-related thing, roughly 98% of your feed is going to be Game Rant articles, generated at the same rate even when there's been no news about the game in months, even when there's not actually anything known about the game, even when it only exists as a minute-long teaser. You'll see the algorithm decided some unconfirmed detail or free association (the game is fantasy-adjacent? Here's what it could learn from Skyrim!) and spin content fractally to the point where it's actively misleading as to what it is and what should be expected of it. It's like a perfect, monetized reflection of Reddit echo chambers or goonthreads like this one.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

They're updating Isaac's name to reference more hip sci fi authors. Meet L. Ron Dick.

DLC campaign starring Issac's old frat brother Jim Tiptree, Jr. (Also known as "Big Al" to his friends.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Marshal Radisic posted:

DLC campaign starring Issac's old frat brother Jim Tiptree, Jr. (Also known as "Big Al" to his friends.)

Just don't give Tiptree a gun, much like how Isaac shouldn't go to Sri Lanka unmonitored.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Doomykins posted:

The default weapon was a little too good but I routinely used the flamethrower and pulse rifle. I think there was also a point blank shockwave gun in 1 or 2 that was great, it staggered everything and insta-gibbed the swarmers the flamethrower was good for too. Pulse rifle alt fire was great in a panic situation as well.
I dimly remember a sequence where I gleefully pulled out my flamethrower for swarmers then "Haha fire doesn't work in a vaccum, idiot!" happened. Then feeling vengeful catharsis discovering the flamethrower turns into a fireball launcher in zero gravity with air.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
They'll add a 13th chapter to the game called epilogue to act as a sequel hook for a remake of dead space 2. The previous 12 chapters will end up remade but still mostly the same style of content except for some quality of life changes. The chapter names would have to be changed to reflect the new content and quality changes, of course, so you'd probably end up with something like

C01 - Dead Arrivals
C02 - Resuscitative Care
C03 - Initiate Correction
C04 - Nearing Obliteration
C05 - Killer Devotion
C06 - Occupational Hazard
C07 - Void Expedition
C08 - Aid and Rescue
C09 - Landing Dead
C10 - Today's End
C11 - Intermediary Solutions
C12 - Necromorphic Space
C13 - Epilogue

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 24, 2021

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Really should have put a leading zero in those first 9. Ruins an excellent joke.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok I did the thing

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You all remember that the pulse rifle in 1 did that spinny shoot thing?

Why’d it do that?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Area of effect defense thing in case you got surrounded. It didn't pan out. Luckily the gun itself was solid.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bit of a PlayStation sale going on, and I see Conarium is going for 14 bucks CAD. Any thoughts on this one?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I finally got around to playing Dread X Collection 1 after playing all the others first and now I really want another Dread X Collection.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Dread XP is releasing Spookware today. It's an expanded version of Spookware @ The Video Store from Dread X Collection 3.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Glagha posted:

I finally got around to playing Dread X Collection 1 after playing all the others first and now I really want another Dread X Collection.

Sadly DreadXP has said that they don't intend to do any more this year. Hoping next year sees more!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anyone check out Tormented Souls? I like those old survival horror games and it looks like a throwback/ripoff of that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I grabbed it because it looked neat but I'm still in the middle of Psychonauts 2 so haven't actually played it yet lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is Psychonauts 2 good?

I loved the first one and it had some really eerie parts (that secret room in the dance party, the asylum, MEAT CIRCUS) so it's somewhat horror adjacent so it's relevent to this thread.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 28, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I'm really enjoying it, it's more of the same but well more lol

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I'm really enjoying it, it's more of the same but well more lol

This. So much this it's hard to overstate. You know everything that was cool about the first? Well here's a fuckton more of it and it's great.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The overworld in Psychonauts was one of my absolute favorites, mostly for the conversations you could have with the other campers between levels.

That little wimpy kid basically turning into a mafia boss (with the Russian kid as his hit man) was great.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The atmosphere and design of everything in Psychonauts, both in the camp overworld, and in the various dreams is just absolutely spot-on.

I need to check out the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm maybe 5 hours in and it's a mix...great characters and atmosphere, the gameplay varies wildly from neat platforming ideas to tons of aggravating jank. Which, the more I play, the more I think resembles the first one.