Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Look, we may be overlooking some untapped talent here. I'm sure there's a few guys in Belmarsh or Scrubs who have genuine real life experience with butchering big cuts of meat.

[edit]340 AD - Constantinople becomes the largest city in the world

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sure am glad that Tonty banned refugees from working while their claims are processed. Bet they love sitting in army camps and our worst hotels on £31 a week being called scroungers by the tabloids during the biggest labor shortage in recent history.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

There was some tory mp who wrote the only cogent article by a tory I've ever read years ago

They were talking about coming back from Afghanistan where they'd been doing "nation building" and basically seeing the same corruption, lack of centralisation and mystification of power in the UK as they did in Afghanistan only nobody was trying to organise it

I dunno if that was Rory Stewart but if it was everything he has said since then is stupid af

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

I dunno if that was Rory Stewart but if it was everything he has said since then is stupid af

I'm pretty sure Rory Stewart is one of those Tories who occasionally says something sensible before returning to the standard Tory line of grinding the faces of the poor and being casually racist.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Nah, The whole American prison service is set up to replace slavery. They are well ahead of us on this one.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

Nah, The whole American prison service is set up to replace slavery. They are well ahead of us on this one.

Prisoners picking cotton in Angola prison, Lousiana.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Prisoners picking cotton in Angola prison, Lousiana.

Formerly the Angola Plantation. All they changed was some of the paperwork.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

mrpwase posted:

I can't really afford the subscription fee and should probably just replicate their system in a spreadsheet.

A lot of the new banks like Monzo and Starling come with budgeting built into the app.
It's good enough that I dropped my other budgeting apps that I was paying for.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Mebh posted:

Hey Jaeluni, you've mentioned a few times you've done a lot of personal finance tracking and have some pretty nifty spreadsheet skills.
Wonder if you've got any tips? (or anyone else reading for that matter!)

I use gnucash, but it's, well, not for everyone. Also it doesn't actually have anything very good for budgeting and such. In theory my accounts are impeccable though! :v:

edit: I would never use any of those online money apps for anything. Why would I want some poo poo company incorporated in the Virgin Islands to have access to my any of my financial info? They will do two things with it: share it with MI5, CIA and all the others, and sell it to the highest bidder. So next time you want to get an insurance quote or a credit card or whatever, the company will already have a big old dossier of all your private incomings and outgoings, every single dragon dildo and Brexit festival ticket. gently caress that poo poo

Oh actually also a third thing they'll do with your data: let it be stolen, since proper info sec is hard (read: costs money). So your dildo payment details will also be on the darknet forever, along with your real name etc etc

jaete fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 23, 2021

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Mega Comrade posted:

A lot of the new banks like Monzo and Starling come with budgeting built into the app.
It's good enough that I dropped my other budgeting apps that I was paying for.

Sorry but all I can think of is:

Food £200
Broadband £50
Rent £800
Budgeting app £3600

someone please help my family is dying

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Grey Hunter posted:

And it's so specifically legal as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

quote:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Just there, in black and white - slavery is allowed as punishment for a crime. Still astonishes me that it's so blatent.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Communist Thoughts posted:

There was some tory mp who wrote the only cogent article by a tory I've ever read years ago

They were talking about coming back from Afghanistan where they'd been doing "nation building" and basically seeing the same corruption, lack of centralisation and mystification of power in the UK as they did in Afghanistan only nobody was trying to organise it

you can't just post this and then not link the actual article, come on m8

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

jaete posted:

Oh actually also a third thing they'll do with your data: let it be stolen, since proper info sec is hard (read: costs money). So your dildo payment details will also be on the darknet forever, along with your real name etc etc

But I don't have a dil-

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

But I don't have a dil-

Your dildo downpayments

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's going to be difficult because the first half of the book is alway

xtothez posted:

Food £200
Broadband £50
Rent £800
Budgeting app £3600

Give access to your banking to less 3rd parties.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

not for everyone.

You surprise me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Nobody has any information about my dildos :smug:

unless they work for the NHS and can see my medical record :pwn:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You actually broke the record then? Good on you.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jaete posted:

I use gnucash, but it's, well, not for everyone. Also it doesn't actually have anything very good for budgeting and such. In theory my accounts are impeccable though! :v:

edit: I would never use any of those online money apps for anything. Why would I want some poo poo company incorporated in the Virgin Islands to have access to my any of my financial info? They will do two things with it: share it with MI5, CIA and all the others, and sell it to the highest bidder. So next time you want to get an insurance quote or a credit card or whatever, the company will already have a big old dossier of all your private incomings and outgoings, every single dragon dildo and Brexit festival ticket. gently caress that poo poo

Not just your own data, by using apps like this you also give them information about people you have paid, who have not consented to this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I take it there are some interesting... extracts?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Does anyone actually still take this colossal idiot seriously?

https://twitter.com/pdkmitchell/status/1429762270251343875?s=21

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If Conservative core voters have their brains stuck in the early 70s as appears to be the case, does that mean that when the Tories gently caress the country they are at least using a flared base?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

bump_fn posted:

can you or someone point me to the 24 rule in something official or is it maybe buried in my lease? i’d love to respond to the latest emails with it specifically

I know this got answered but it's definitely something they have to take heed of, my current letting agents were trying to pull it not long before Covid hit, as the owner wanted to view the property and they were being all apologetic wanting my permission. Some grace would've been nice, like give me a chance to tidy up a bit tonight, but this was 11am and he wanted to come at 1pm, as 'it's the only chance he'll get'.
He lives in Australia, it's not like he was passing in the car after going to the shops. Told them they could come the day after.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

Does anyone actually still take this colossal idiot seriously?

https://twitter.com/pdkmitchell/status/1429762270251343875?s=21
Then suddenly it turned out that Hitler was not respectable after all.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Trying to remember which book has the excerpt from German government saying the responsibilities of leadership will limit his ambitions

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

Trying to remember which book has the excerpt from German government saying the responsibilities of leadership will limit his ambitions

I didn't think the Germans had joke books.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

knox_harrington posted:

But I don't have a dil-

Threw it at Ngo did you?

https://twitter.com/MommyMediumDick/status/1429650560068640774

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sad Panda posted:

https://www.moneydashboard.com/ may be a useful website to help if you prefer a less hands on approach. Link it to your accounts and it'll keep track of what went in and out and categorise things for you.

Money dashboard is categorising my £5 expenditure on patreon as my "Income" and my actual income as "Transport".

I don't think their algorithms are very good.

Edit: It also classed the money I spent on kickstarter as negative savings. Verdict: Hot garbage.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 23, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ngo rules. He must have tremendous medical bills from all the times he's kidded on he's gotten brain damage from Antifa, doing the Lord's work

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how loving hard would you have to throw a dildo at someone's head to concuss them

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

how loving hard would you have to throw a dildo at someone's head to concuss them

About as hard as you'd want to throw something at Andy Ngo

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Julio Cruz posted:

https://youtu.be/PftOxn4ANjc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

xtothez posted:

Food £200
Broadband £50
Rent £800
Budgeting app £3600

Reminds me of one time years ago I was in Selfridges passing through the handbags and purses department and a girl age about 8 picked up a beautiful leather purse cost something like £35. Her mother said to her "if you buy that purse you'll have nothing left to put in it".

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
what if he's Mr Glass from the hit movie Unbreakable and that milkshake dildo really did give him brain concussions? Bet you'd feel really silly then

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Money dashboard is categorising my £5 expenditure on patreon as my "Income" and my actual income as "Transport".

Edit: It also classed the money I spent on kickstarter as negative savings. Verdict: Hot garbage.

My bank aims to classify my expenditure but it just assumes everything bought in waitrose is 'groceries', everything bought in Home Bargains (most of my actual groceries) is household goods.

There's no scope for shopping in one store and including groceries, household goods, cleaning supplies, the occasional magazine, a gift for someone.

I also have the same concerns as others re giving access to my accounts to a 3rd Party. (Experian Boost requires you give access to your accounts too for anyone thinking about doing that).

Also, if you use a password saver, check your bank T&Cs - last time I looked (a year or so ago), if you use one and your account gets raided (by an unrelated person - I mean nothing to do with the password saver being hacked etc, not a relation of yours), you're not covered by whatever scheme covers that.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 23, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

I think it was originally from a newspaper at the time, maybe the New York Times?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's a shame these banking apps don't give you a chance to reclassify your transactions, you know, just in case their algorithm gets them wrong.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You can definitely reclassify. I assume it then learns from that but don't have that much experience with it to be honest.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Also, if you use a password saver, check your bank T&Cs - last time I looked (a year or so ago), if you use one and your account gets raided (by an unrelated person), you're not covered by whatever scheme covers that.

They try much harder to avoid liability than to actually help you, it's ridiculous.

I had my payment details stolen (no money lost thankfully) once and basically the entire call was them repeating "do you accept it is your fault for not verifying the trustworthiness of the trader" in an increasingly belligerent tone. Me asking "have you cancelled my card" was met with "we've done that long ago, but" and back to the script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

It's a shame these banking apps don't give you a chance to reclassify your transactions, you know, just in case their algorithm gets them wrong.

I don't think it's asking too much to expect it to be able to separate incomings and outgoings. Because now I have to go through and manually verify every transaction, which kind of defeats the point. It also tried to classify a bunch of train travel over a long weekend as a recurring monthly food expense. So it's predictions about ongoing stuff is also useless.