Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm aiming to get Blissey. I think you're underestimating how good movement and attack speed is - catching up to someone or getting away from them is incredibly powerful in a game where only a handful of Pokemon walk particularly quickly, and with a Cinderace or Greninja with more than one brain cell it will basically hand them a way to win a fight. I think they are absolutely going to be more difficult to play when compared to Eldegoss who can poo poo out shielding in a big circle, but they are still powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
I worry about Blissey's moves because with Edelgloss it's easy to protect all of your allies (aforementioned big circle), but Blissey seems a bit of a smaller circle.
That'd be okay with organised teams / voice chat where you can direct people to stack, but not for pubbie matches where you can't coordinate allies at all.

I worry about maining a Support in general because of the above, surely they'd be much better if you had voice chat - if they're balanced for that then they'll be 'underpowered' if you play with randoms / without voice chat?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Blissey has a very different kit from Edelgoss but I think she's probably still really good. Giving your party an AoE attack speed and movespeed buff is nuts, and is massive for the moments of the game that actually matter (Dreadnaw and Zapdos). Also, Safeguard purges debuffs, which means she's super strong against two of the strongest attackers, Gengar and Ninetails. I think it would be more apt to compare her to Snorlax than Edelgoss, except a Snorlax that constantly boosts his team if you don't focus him down. You could play her like Edelgoss with Sofboiled and Egg Bomb, but I think Safeguard/Helping Hand is probably the better build. I'd hold off on playing her until you get a free week to try her out and see how it feels but that's my take

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't see how it's ever going to be worth picking Safeguard over Soft Boiled except in organized play -- purging status effects seems useful but really niche when you're choosing it over a move that actually heals your teammates. I definitely might be overestimating how hard it's going to be for a random pubbie to make use of Helping Hand, though.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I think some of that will depend on your rank. All supports are basically worthless in Normals but around Vet3 ranked is when you get teammates that are 100% always showing up bottom for Dreadnaw and mid for Zapdos

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just started playing a couple days ago. Enjoying it far more than I expected. Wouldn't mind playing with some goons. I've only played eldegoss but I'd play whatever sometime.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 19, 2021

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So all I do with Gengar is run all the SpAtk items and pick Sludge Bomb/Hex, try and score a few quick 3-pt goals early on for more SpAtk stacks, and then murder anything that looks at me funny.

Seems to work more often than not, but is there more nuanced play I'm missing?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So all I do with Gengar is run all the SpAtk items and pick Sludge Bomb/Hex, try and score a few quick 3-pt goals early on for more SpAtk stacks, and then murder anything that looks at me funny.

Seems to work more often than not, but is there more nuanced play I'm missing?

Killing Dreadnaw/Zapdos but otherwise no

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Killing Dreadnaw/Zapdos but otherwise no

Oh those two just have the funniest looks.

If I build up enough momentum I can solo Dreadnaw pretty handily.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

That was my best game yet, and surprisingly this was ranked (Expert 2, but still). It feels like I joined a group of four, as they were kinda goofing around a bit while playing as normal. I rarely jungle since I’ll go bottom lane if there’s another speedster, but since there wasn’t one I went with it and just dominated the other team almost by myself. It helps I scored the majority of my points with three goals in the last two minutes. The first one I waited for two minutes to double my stack while I assumed the rest would be distracted with Zapdos, then I picked up all the extra EXP I dropped from killing the wilds while waiting for the two minute mark, then helped clean up the enemies in the middle with pure bird power, and was able to squeeze in a couple more goals as well since my teammates got Zapdos.

That was fun as hell and pretty much my ideal game as a fire bird dunker. I needed that after a couple of brutal losses.

e: The only player on the opposing team worth a drat was, of course, the other Talonflame. Don’t sleep on the fire bird motherfuckers.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 19, 2021

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonUnite/comments/p75ym0/til_you_should_not_kill_the_last_drednaw_before/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonUnite/comments/p7omdi/zapdos_damage_debuff_fully_explained/

this is bar none the most wild mechanic in a multiplayer game ive ever seen

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man what the gently caress

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I keep losing games when the announcer says "we're far behind" and two of my teammates just sit in base and give up. Meanwhile I've gotten two dreadclaw kills, I'm three levels up on them and I'm crushing them, I just don't want to feed by trying to dunk on t2.

It's so dumb because "We're struggling to keep up" means you are 30-99 points behind, which is almost nothing in endgame.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonUnite/comments/p2g1ow/score_messages_infographic/

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The obtuse mechanics are annoying as crap but tbh they don't bug me nearly as much as the fact that you simply cannot access the point score at any point until the end.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

The obtuse mechanics are annoying as crap but tbh they don't bug me nearly as much as the fact that you simply cannot access the point score at any point until the end.

I get why people hate this, but with how many people who rage quit because they couldn't land a kill or dunk while running into 4 enemies on their own point, I don't also need people bailing out because it's 0 - 15 at the 1 minute mark.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I just don't see how visible scores would make it worse. For me the gamer rage is way worse BC I have literally no idea what that fuckup cost in the bigger scale of the game. I will admit I have a specific kind of brain turtles so if this isn't normal I'll accept it but I genuinely do not understand how invisible scoring would make that any better at all.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I just don't see how visible scores would make it worse. For me the gamer rage is way worse BC I have literally no idea what that fuckup cost in the bigger scale of the game. I will admit I have a specific kind of brain turtles so if this isn't normal I'll accept it but I genuinely do not understand how invisible scoring would make that any better at all.

I think maybe once you pass into Veteran it starts giving you more info? idk, but clearly this game is designed gacha money sink. That said, ten minutes for a random unranked pokemoba is really just :kiss: so I'll deal with it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
They should make more mobas with this control scheme, so I'm not forced to choose between this and like Arena of Valor

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

10 minutes is so much better than playing league. I just don't have a ton of time after work to sit and put in only 3-4 games. I just wish they treated this a little more seriously, the Zapdos damage debuff mechanics and opacity around a lot of other things diminishes something that's pretty loving awesome imo

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Cool, cool

Wish more games would make key things this opaque

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

God I was wondering why no one in the Japanese servers ever took Rotom, I guess that makes sense. But also yeah, the short timespan for games is really nice. Dota ranked is a loving nightmare where losing a single game means you're down an hour for the loss, and then another hour to get back to where you started. I went on a massive lose streak last session and then bounced back and ranked up all within the span of like two hours

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Watching a Japanese player and it's actually insane how different their metagame is. Basically, everybody just farms all game and no one tries to score. Fights break out over Dreadnaw, but otherwise, everyone just sits back and farms until the 2:00 mark at which point both teams run directly to the enemy goals and trades goals. Unless a goal is totally free after an objective, no one is crossing the middle of the map and are just saving up. If it looks like Zapdos might be a lost cause, they all just run to the enemy goal and score. But, to go with this, it seems like the Kneepad item that gives you a shield during scoring is also very popular and I've seen a few people score goals when they would have otherwise been stopped, which might be huge.

I think the number one challenge of mobas is everyone just wants to fight other players all the time, but they are actually resource gathering games. How much skill does it take to make up being 2 levels behind on this game?

I’m in ultra and it’s still really common to see people forcing fights while there are a bunch of idle neutral pokemon spawned.

I’m pretty sure optimal play is to clear your half the map as quick as possible then if your team is faster than theirs score goals to lock in a level lead. All spawns (excluding rotom and dreadnaw) are exactly 60 seconds from their time of death and killing them ASAP effectively gives you at least 1 extra clear of the map over the 10 minute game.

Phenotype posted:

Has anyone bought Blissey?

I bought her and regret it. My experience playing her and having her on my team is she is not good for solo queueing. The purge for allies is super powerful against certain Pokémon (e.g. it ruins Gengar’s kit), but people don’t seem to notice it. Half the time when I have her on my team the player spends an inordinate amount of time solo on the map even though I think she’s the least solo capable mon in the game right now.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 20, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If people are obsessed with killing you, exploit that. It doesn't show in the stats, but I enjoy being a distraction and having several people chase me for an easy kill since that's time they're not spending farming or scoring, especially if I can steal a couple of their wilds in the meantime.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

there's a cheat sheet going around of what all the score announcements mean, like "we're really struggling" means you're down 100+ points. if you take a look at that, after a while you'll recognize the announcements and be able to pretty closely guess what the score is at any given point.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
So apparently once you get to master you won't get ranked down? That explains why a lot of master level pubbies throw the game / play Pokémon they don't know in ranked.

I'm nearly there, from lucky matchmaking and from playing an hour or so every few days with friends. We usually run healer Blissey, zone denial Ninetails, and flail/yawn Snorlax (me). Flail/yawn is great as unlike the quick stun of stomp or the mechanics of block, pubbie players actually notice when the enemy is totally asleep or getting 1/5th of their health sloughed off per hit.

Blissey has amazing game breaking potential, like turning Cramorant into an unkillable turret or keeping a flailing low health Snorlax alive forever. If any support makes S rank, it'll be Blissey players who are active on comms.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I just picked up Eldegoss and levelled my Wise Specs/Shell Bell to 20 and ho poo poo, I've never felt so unkillable. Sticking to my team's Lucario like glue with Cotton Guard and letting him mulch enemies is way more fun than actually killing people myself.

My first match with it was an 800-50 stomp.

I think I might start levelling the Focus Band for it.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 23, 2021

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I play eldegoss exclusively in ranked and right now I'm running muscle band, xp share, and buddy barrier. Buddy barrier is a must have because of the amount of shields it gives, 40% at level 20, muscle band helps do more damage while you poke, and xp share which feels a little useless even at level 10 but does increase your move seed.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Buddy barrier is neat, it's super helpful if you understand the timing on ults. Most cool downs are 2min and it's reduced every kill you get (neutrals and enemies). Once you know that you are free to use it more. As long as it's online at 2:00 you are good. That means you get around three uses per match, once for the two dredclaws you should be getting and then a final for Zapdos.

If you are a jungler and farming constantly you maybe get four or five uses, and buddy barrier is even more value.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, I really don't get the XP share item, even if I'm playing support. I feel like I've gotta be doing something wrong, as I have less XP than when I don't spend a slot using it. How should I be changing up my play when I've got it?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

inkmoth posted:

So, I really don't get the XP share item, even if I'm playing support. I feel like I've gotta be doing something wrong, as I have less XP than when I don't spend a slot using it. How should I be changing up my play when I've got it?

Never get the last hit on any of the wild Pokemon unless you need it to evolve, never farm creeps

It's kind of a weird item for pubs because it's theoretically the most useful because, you know, all of your carries should be vacuuming up every creep on the map and leaving no EXP left for you to get. But, if there are a bunch of creeps and you're playing someone like Slowbro/Snorlax who actually can effectively kill creeps, it might not be worth it

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Played some Pikachu last night, had a really tough game with pretty evenly-matched teams, and I just tore it the gently caress up. I didn't get MVP because I only managed to score once early on, but I got 15 kills and won all the teamfights for us, and at the end I got 3 comms and a friend request from one of the enemy team. Feels good man. :kimchi: I really have to play more Ranked games but I'm put off by Pikachu falling down the tier lists lately, since he's the Attacker I seem to gel with the most. People say he falls off lategame, but I usually don't feel that at all, I just wish he was a little less squishy when a Zeraora or Talonflame wants to jump on him. I do Buddy Barrier/Wise Glasses and then either Focus Band or Muscle Band or Energy Amplifier as the last item. Probably the Focus Band is the best, but I feel bad not taking more damage items. I've been trying to play Ninetails instead, and I like her, but it just doesn't feel as good as being the electric rat. I wonder if he'd benefit from Energy Amplifier and Shell Bell together, for the cooldown reduction they have. The Electroball cooldown is short as-is, and it'd be nice to be able to pump those out faster, but I think the total CDR for both items is only 6% at level 20, so it's probably not worth it. Would like to see a new item with a more noticeable amount of CDR on it.

municipal shrimp posted:

I play eldegoss exclusively in ranked and right now I'm running muscle band, xp share, and buddy barrier. Buddy barrier is a must have because of the amount of shields it gives, 40% at level 20, muscle band helps do more damage while you poke, and xp share which feels a little useless even at level 10 but does increase your move seed.

I do a lot of Eldegoss too, and I run Muscle Band/Buddy Barrier with Wise Glasses instead of XP Share. Maybe this is wrong, but I really don't like the idea of XP Share in solo queue -- even as Eldegoss, I'm usually not the lowest level on the team since my games are usually plagued with teammates who want to hang out at the enemy goal and SOMEONE has to eat all the wild pokemon that spawn while they're off being useless. I also don't want to be the lowest level, frankly. Eldegoss puts out some very reasonable damage for all his utility, and Muscle Band autos and Wise Glasses Leaf Tornado lets me get kills and have some initiative rather than just following around the likeliest-looking attacker.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 24, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’ve never really been as deep into an online multiplayer game as I am with this one, it’s the exact right blend of skill and accessibility (and it’s quick too, the 10 minute limit is a real plus). After reading a really brief “how to MOBA” guide and figuring out the roles and what to do, I’ve really gotten into it. I’m only on day 6 and I’ve already almost through the ultra tier. I’ve gelled most with Charizard, although I do enjoy playing as Zeraora, Garchomp and Ninetails too. It’s fun at the end of the game when you just terrorize the opponents with your fire breath, makes me feel like Ghidorah. I’ve had a few games where everything goes perfectly and I end up with like 10 KOs and hundreds of points, those rule. I’m having to pace myself so I don’t go overboard, a few hours a night is enough to do the daily stuff, get some ranked games in and test out other Pokemon in standard.

I’m excited for Mamoswine. I’ve played a few games as Snorlax to try out being a defender but if Mamoswine is what I think he is I think I’ll enjoy that a lot more.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Blastoise comes out September 1!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So that's Blastoise, Mamoswine, and Sylveon coming out soonish.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

blastwah

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i like wigglytuff they're an absurd lane bully and if you get ahead enemies are sitting on their unevolved pokemon terrified to leave tower to farm. you have to really push them out though cause most things that aren't supports especially tanks outscale you if they have room to do anything.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just did a Quick Battle, surrendered with two minutes to spare after the opponents got a second Zapdos kill, I won MVP with 0/1/1 and a total of 15.

I’ll take it. Got me to Battle Pass Level 69 at least.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

gently caress it give sylveon surf too so we can run a surf-only team

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

One thing I think the game should do is to make new Pokemon a part of the weekly free rotation when it's released. I'm way more likely to get tricked into buying one if I can try him out a little bit in a real match, no way I'm buying someone blind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

So apparently once you get to master you won't get ranked down? That explains why a lot of master level pubbies throw the game / play Pokémon they don't know in ranked.

I'm nearly there, from lucky matchmaking and from playing an hour or so every few days with friends. We usually run healer Blissey, zone denial Ninetails, and flail/yawn Snorlax (me). Flail/yawn is great as unlike the quick stun of stomp or the mechanics of block, pubbie players actually notice when the enemy is totally asleep or getting 1/5th of their health sloughed off per hit.

Blissey has amazing game breaking potential, like turning Cramorant into an unkillable turret or keeping a flailing low health Snorlax alive forever. If any support makes S rank, it'll be Blissey players who are active on comms.

I tried this Snorlax set on a whim and it was extremely effective and a lot more fun than Heavy Slam/Block. There was one match where I got 22 kills and that was without a Blissey using Helping hand to make Snorlax's basic attack even more insane. I understand why people are reluctant to give up Heavy Slam/Block but they're really sleeping on this set.