Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This thread does post ETA Prime vids sometimes but recently there’s only so many ways you can be interested in him saying yeah this mini PC costing hundreds of dollars is really good at emulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

njsykora posted:

This thread does post ETA Prime vids sometimes but recently there’s only so many ways you can be interested in him saying yeah this mini PC costing hundreds of dollars is really good at emulation.

Yeah, I'm a cheapskate so I'm always more interested in seeing "this aliexpress thing for $100 is actually insanely good" vs "this $1500 gaming box runs Gamecube great!!!"

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, I'm a cheapskate so I'm always more interested in seeing "this aliexpress thing for $100 is actually insanely good" vs "this $1500 gaming box runs Gamecube great!!!"

I mean, you can get used sff PCs for like $100-$250. I just picked up a Lenovo M715Q with a Ryzen 2400GE for about $250, and I'm waiting for a bigger drive to show up but at least Scott Pilgrim for PS3 ran at full speed with Batocera on it. I've also got a 710 with a 7th gen i3 that I'm planning on setting up for a relative. And these things (along with their Dell and HP equivalents) are big enough to hold a 2.5" drive (and some newer ones like these have m.2 SSD slots too) but otherwise plenty small.

This is basically going to be my portable box for bringing games and movies places.

Even something a few years old is pretty capable, PS2 is where it starts to get a little iffy depending on the game. Just as long as it's not the old Athlon processors, I tried one of those and it choked on DS.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

TVs Ian posted:

I mean, you can get used sff PCs for like $100-$250. I just picked up a Lenovo M715Q with a Ryzen 2400GE for about $250, and I'm waiting for a bigger drive to show up but at least Scott Pilgrim for PS3 ran at full speed with Batocera on it. I've also got a 710 with a 7th gen i3 that I'm planning on setting up for a relative. And these things (along with their Dell and HP equivalents) are big enough to hold a 2.5" drive (and some newer ones like these have m.2 SSD slots too) but otherwise plenty small.

This is basically going to be my portable box for bringing games and movies places.

Even something a few years old is pretty capable, PS2 is where it starts to get a little iffy depending on the game. Just as long as it's not the old Athlon processors, I tried one of those and it choked on DS.

Yeah, I have a Dell with an 8th gen i3 that I rescued from the trash heap at work and it's been pretty capable booting from a thumb drive with Batocera, other than PS2 stuff which is touch and go at anything other than native res. The only problem is that it's giant.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have a saved ebay search for ThinkCentre's, I do want something like that at some point. But those are £150 at most, not modern Ryzen systems costing upwards of £400.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Another great place to pick up cheap (though not might not be as small) is college technology surplus sale. Usually can get a desktop that just needs a gpu and you are good to go on most everything you'd throw at it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Not sure if this is the right thread. Anyone have any idea why Bsnes only seems to run at 30fps (essentially half speed, judging by the sound) on my Ryzen 3600? I tried looking for a framerate limiter, but couldn't see anything like that. Default settings. I feel like the machine should be able to handle SNES emulation.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I don't usually watch the videos on the boxes, do any of them have better price/perf than a Pi? I'm well aware of the pita that is getting RetroPie set up, but from the vids I've seen you appear to be stuck with a sizable shortfall in capability in exchange for that convenience.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Chas McGill posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread. Anyone have any idea why Bsnes only seems to run at 30fps (essentially half speed, judging by the sound) on my Ryzen 3600? I tried looking for a framerate limiter, but couldn't see anything like that. Default settings. I feel like the machine should be able to handle SNES emulation.

There's got to be a setting misconfigured somewhere, there's no reason a 3600 can't run it with all the bells and whistles. Is the run-ahead set really high maybe?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I'm sorry a what. There was talk of those in the before times

Chas McGill posted:

Do you need accuracy or just general emulation? bsnes is cycle accurate from what I understand and needs more resources unless I'm mistaken

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm sorry a what. There was talk of those in the before times

Do you need accuracy or just general emulation? bsnes is cycle accurate from what I understand and needs more resources unless I'm mistaken

While bsnes still has a cycle accurate mode, of recent years it has a much more performant scanline renderer that it defaults to (in settings, it's the PPU video Fast mode checkbox).

For the original question, if one is running into performance problems while on decent hardware, it is very likely a driver configuration issue in bsnes. Sometimes you just have to go through the combinations there to find what'll work best. And as mentioned with runahead, make sure it is turned off until you know you have overhead to spare.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I don't usually watch the videos on the boxes, do any of them have better price/perf than a Pi? I'm well aware of the pita that is getting RetroPie set up, but from the vids I've seen you appear to be stuck with a sizable shortfall in capability in exchange for that convenience.

Not the mini PC things really no, they can run higher end emulation like PSP and Gamecube and PS2 but most of them cost 3-4x the price of an 8gb Pi and a nice case to keep any overclocks cool. Android TV boxes seem to be the sweet spot for price/performance at this point since even the top level Nvidia Shield is the same price as the Super Console X King.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for the advice. It's running fine now - it was either some setting I'd changed, or the latest nightly release fixed whatever problem I had.

I was about to have a full old man meltdown about how my IBM Aptiva would emulate SNES games back in the day, but my 3600/3070 system can't!?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

njsykora posted:

Not the mini PC things really no, they can run higher end emulation like PSP and Gamecube and PS2 but most of them cost 3-4x the price of an 8gb Pi and a nice case to keep any overclocks cool. Android TV boxes seem to be the sweet spot for price/performance at this point since even the top level Nvidia Shield is the same price as the Super Console X King.

Nah I meant android boxes vs the pi, given that you shouldn't need an 8gb pi for emulation and I was under the impression the pi was more powerful than the $50 android boxes.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Anybody using 351elec know why native saves with psx roms aren't working for me, even without shutting off the device or closing the rom? Memory card appears to be present when I start a game and in-game saves appear to work normally, but if I die and then try to reload the save file I just made, it doesn't exist. I'm not getting any error messages related to bios so I'm not sure what the problem is. Anybody encounter this? Either google isn't returning much or I'm searching for the wrong terms.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Anybody using 351elec know why native saves with psx roms aren't working for me, even without shutting off the device or closing the rom? Memory card appears to be present when I start a game and in-game saves appear to work normally, but if I die and then try to reload the save file I just made, it doesn't exist. I'm not getting any error messages related to bios so I'm not sure what the problem is. Anybody encounter this? Either google isn't returning much or I'm searching for the wrong terms.

Maybe change your log-level to something lower and see if it shows up there, otherwise the 351Elec discord would be the best place to ask.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

My understanding is that there are currently roughly 4 tiers of android boxes repurposed into emulation boxes:

1 - Super Console X, Pro, Stick, Cube (not a cube, looks like a NES mini), Pawky Box, Powkiddy GameBox, etc. are all Amlogic S905/X/M quad cores at roughly at the same low level, each performing within a few percent of each other. These are still faster than what you find in current Retro Portable Consoles.

2 - Super Console Max Amlogic S905X3 quad core - actually a bit more powerful, unlike the Pro, can do Naomi and N64 better and a few 2D Saturn games

2.5 - Raspberry Pi 4 quad core sits roughly between the S905X3 and S922X as far as I can tell

3 - Super Console King Amlogic S922X hexa core - seems like the most powerful of these, fast enough CPU to do Naomi and N64 better and even many 3D Saturn games

4 - NVIDIA Shield TV - at over 5 years old it's still incredibly powerful, it could always do Saturn once the emulators improved, and it can even handle most Gamecube games with some slowdown

(Bonus 5+ Tier) - x86, even older PCs should be faster than the fastest android boxes

Now as for price/performance that's tough to judge because while Raspberry Pi 4 boards themselves are very cheap, once you add everything that makes it comparable to the full Super Console X package you run into kits that are comparably expensive to the Super Console King, roughly $150-200 USD or so

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 24, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

what the heck

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

kirbysuperstar posted:

what the heck
These are all repurposed android tv boxes, and this one is a rebadge of the H96 MAX X3, which is why it has a hockey puck design and a clock/elapsed time counter, because it's made for playing videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=451QR-WW4sQ

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 24, 2021

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

kirbysuperstar posted:

what the heck

Game Roomba.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of both the RG351P/M and the RGB10 Max?

At the moment I've got an RG351P and an RG350M (and a cheap V90 for camping trips etc, but let's leave that out of this). I like the frontend/system compatibility of the 351 but often end up playing home console games (SNES etc) on the 350M for the better pixel scaling, and then syncing save games between both those and my laptop in a convoluted triangle. I thought having the HDMI out on the 350M would be better than the buggy reality has turned out, so I've ended up never using that feature.

Now I keep ogling the RGB10 Max, where the screen should be flexible to handle all systems with good scaling on one device, albeit with black bars in a lot of cases. I know the sensible thing to do would be to wait for the RG552 which sounds like it'll have a similar screen and better internals, but, well... (I'm not really interested in waiting for the SteamDeck given the size/cost.)

I've done enough research to know the benefits/flaws of the device, so I'm looking more for the experience of normal users (rather than Youtubers) who've owned multiple. Does the RGB10 Max end up replacing the 351P in day-to-day use? Or are there situations where the 351 is still preferable, and I'd just end up with yet another device to handle savestate syncing?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwd7WCu-588

Analysis of how powerful the Snapdragon 845 is

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I think I'm going to pick up one of the game and watch screen protectors for the trikui model s, but the only come in a 4 pack, anyone else want one?

Also, does anyone have a good way to get the SD card out? The only ways I can manage are unscrewing the back or tweezers, neither of which I'd like to do much more.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

The United States posted:

Jeez he tried PS2 games and 2D switch games WTF. I was told Colossus run like poo poo on DamonPS2 so I never bother to try it. Maybe I will give it a try.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The United States posted:

It’s great ya but I really don’t trust this company at this point. Like he’s the only one who has had hands on with a dev unit and even in this video he is using a phone for it.

This is gonna be a show me the product before I even think about it but with the steam deck releasing so close to it and the pro model being kinda pricy it makes it a hard sell for me.

I dunno I really need to see some units in hands before I would do it.

Like the aya Neo sent out a boat load of review units before they launched which definitely built my confidence when placing the order.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah that's the indiegogo/kickstarter story isn't it? They're trying to use the funds raised from the campaign just to get it manufactured in the first place, so it takes forever to actually come out and of course they don't have any actual prototypes to give out

Anyway here's a roundup of slow but tiny handhelds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zmTXcj6j4g

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

I think I'm going to pick up one of the game and watch screen protectors for the trikui model s, but the only come in a 4 pack, anyone else want one?

Also, does anyone have a good way to get the SD card out? The only ways I can manage are unscrewing the back or tweezers, neither of which I'd like to do much more.

Ah, I just got my own 4pack of protectors haha. I'm pretty sure I hosed up my first one though, naturally.

As to your question, I have a powkiddy-branded A66 model rather than original Model S, so I dunno if maybe there's a difference. Does yours not eject the card when pushed in? The microSD on the A66 at least is a push lock / push eject mechanism (no idea what the proper terminology is) so personally to remove it I always use the edge of my thumb's nail to push the card in until it clicks, and after releasing it pops out enough for me to grab it. Or is that what you're using the tweezers for?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Manky posted:

Ah, I just got my own 4pack of protectors haha. I'm pretty sure I hosed up my first one though, naturally.

As to your question, I have a powkiddy-branded A66 model rather than original Model S, so I dunno if maybe there's a difference. Does yours not eject the card when pushed in? The microSD on the A66 at least is a push lock / push eject mechanism (no idea what the proper terminology is) so personally to remove it I always use the edge of my thumb's nail to push the card in until it clicks, and after releasing it pops out enough for me to grab it. Or is that what you're using the tweezers for?
Yeah, my Powkiddy A66 has the same spring-loaded insert/eject slot, you just need to have a little bit of fingernail to pop it in/out. It's possible something within the slot broke off I guess, in which case you might need to rely on the tweezers.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

No, I'm just serious lacking in fingernails, I tried that but I guess I didn't push in hard enough. Well that makes things easy, thanks.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

No, I'm just serious lacking in fingernails, I tried that but I guess I didn't push in hard enough. Well that makes things easy, thanks.

Can't you use a Philip driver?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can't you use a Philip driver?

No, I mean I can do it, but with my short fingernails it didn't depress when I tried before. Add in probably mixing up some device reviews vis-a-vis hard to access SD cards and I figured it wasn't a push type.

Pulling it out before probably wasn't great for the mechanism but it still works so :/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Grow a coke nail OP, hth

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i just use a different microsd card to push on it. perfect size!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a reason the only SNES core on RetroArch for the N3DS that runs games at 60 fps is the SNES 9x 2002 core? Every other core runs games at something miserable like 25 fps. I'd use the 2002 core but for some reason this core has weird graphical issues like no map in Final Fantasy 6.

There's this that runs SNES games at 60 fps and I can see the map in FF6, but it does this weird thing where the framerate chokes for a few seconds because of the SNES refresh rate being slightly different than the N3DS screen. There's an option in the emulator to run the game at the N3DS refresh rate, but that introduces a thing where the screen flashes black for a second every few seconds which is even worse.

So my options seem to be Retroarch, which can't even manage to show the map in FF6, or the stand-alone SNES9x 1.43 for N3DS emulator that chokes every few seconds/displays a flash of black.

Is there any way to get SNES 9x 1.43 to load into RetroArch or something?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Can’t you inject SNES games into the wrapper or whatever that Nintendo used for the games they sold on the eshop? I know I’ve injected gba roms. Could always play the gba version of ffvi anyway.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Stan Taylor posted:

Can’t you inject SNES games into the wrapper or whatever that Nintendo used for the games they sold on the eshop? I know I’ve injected gba roms. Could always play the gba version of ffvi anyway.

You can, but the volume is so much lower than with RetroArch. Also a lot of games have crackling audio with injects. And then there's the issue where you can only have 300 installed 3DS titles.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'm not having any issues with using the standalone snes9x. In the options I have frameskip set to 1 and framerate set to default based on rom region and things are smooth in the first town at least. Maybe it's your rom? Is it a non-USA region?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CFox posted:

I'm not having any issues with using the standalone snes9x. In the options I have frameskip set to 1 and framerate set to default based on rom region and things are smooth in the first town at least. Maybe it's your rom? Is it a non-USA region?

I appreciate the reply! I am in the first town too (USA 1.1 version of the ROM). If you walk back and forth along the long strip in the middle of the town you should see it happen. It's not really a frame drop, it's like a stuttering on the screen. Happens every few seconds. It goes away if you change the framerate setting to "Match the 3DS refresh rate" but instead the emulator flashes a quick black screen when it would normally choke.

In RetroArch you can get rid of this issue entirely by enabling "Sync to exact content framerate (G-sync)" in the "Frame throttle" section. However the downside is that retroarch is forever terrible, and the only usable SNES core has issues like not being able to see the map screen.

I tried a few other SNES games like Super Mario World and the same issue is there so it's definitely a weird N3DS screen refresh issue that the standalone SNES emulator doesn't really have a good fix for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Emulating FF VI (3 USA lol) for SNES is so weird. I swear I played it via emulation ages ago with no issues but everything I've tried it on the last couple years besides my PC it has tons of audio crackling, I'm not sure if it's just a way more demanding game than it appears or what...