Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

icantfindaname posted:

Nope

If the Taliban had been 100% cooperative, said "holy poo poo we had no idea Al Qaeda was here, we've arrested their leadership and have put them in a shipping crate to be delivered to the nearest CIA blacksite" we still would have invaded. Neocons wanted war as neocons do, and neolibs were high off the Yugoslav interventions and also thought war was a great idea

I know the fervor for war was really high back then, but I kind of doubt we invade Afghanistan if we were already parading Bin Laden through Manhattan in handcuffs on his way to the electric chair. If anything, Bush probably would've just pivoted to Iraq even sooner. Who the hells know though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
it’s a classic that the Taliban offered to try bin Laden before the invasion, but many forget that the Taliban offered to surrender with a singular condition that Omar be protected in December 2001.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
good job junior,

https://twitter.com/natsecjeff/status/1429901799633338373?s=21

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

the failson-industrial complex

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I don't agree with your counterfactual, but unfortunately I'm not in possession of a time machine. It's not an especially likely counterfactual though. If they were inclined (...or able?) to easily crush Al Qaeda and fork over bin Laden they probably would already have done so, and I suspect they underestimated exactly how much trouble they were in.

Bin Laden had run several terror attacks out of of Afghanistan in the years before 9/11, such as the simultaneous bombings of the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania and the boat bomb attack on the USS Cole. Then-President Clinton had been trying to get the Taliban regime to turn him over for years and they repeatedly refused. They contained to stonewall or make unacceptable demands when then-President Bush asked for bin Laden to be handed over. It's difficult to believe they didn't know what they were in for.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I don't think the Taliban had specific knowledge of 9/11, and were probably alarmed by the scale of what happened, but they absolutely knew who they were hosting and what his general aims were, and allowed him to continue his activities unimpeded even after the US bombed an Al Qaeda camp on their territory as a response to the embassy attacks. It was still a mistake for the US to treat them as just as necessary to hunt down and kill as Al Qaeda after the invasion, which made any surrender impossible, but they deserved to be driven out of power in the first place.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Wheeljack posted:

They contained to stonewall or make unacceptable demands when then-President Bush asked for bin Laden to be handed over. It's difficult to believe they didn't know what they were in for.

that's a rather convenient way to characterize any attempt on the Taliban's part to negotiate any conditions whatsoever on trying bin Laden

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The Taliban didn't care for bin Laden, and their refusal to address him before 9/11 was a thorough failure of US diplomacy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

The Taliban didn't care for bin Laden

Says who? My understanding is that he had a fair amount of influence with them. He wasn't just some guy who happened to be in their country, he was running an international terrorist organization there with training camps and poo poo and they were fine with that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Plucky Brit posted:

A minor point: The Magna Carta was signed in 1215 and then annulled by the Pope in 1216. It didn’t work out so well.

A minor point(s). A) the Pope didn't actually have the legal authority to do that, and B) a couple of clauses from the 1297 reiteration of it are still in force in English law.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sinteres posted:

Says who? My understanding is that he had a fair amount of influence with them. He wasn't just some guy who happened to be in their country, he was running an international terrorist organization there with training camps and poo poo and they were fine with that.

The Taliban themselves, who saw him as a legacy of the previous administration, and the average Afghan, who had no idea who he was until the US fired cruise missiles at them in '98.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I think the Al-Qaeda/Taliban relationship mostly came down to money. The Taliban needed money and Bin Laden had money. The Taliban may not have liked Bin Laden that much but he paid his rent on time and never bounced a check.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Meanwhile the west lost all interest in Afghanistan after the Soviets left, so why should the Taliban, who were struggling with legitimacy, cede sovereignty to appease the US?

It was a failure of diplomacy, namely America's failure to engage in it.

And it was repeated again in 2001, against a Taliban who were much more open to negotiate, even.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You can't corner the northern alliance.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
The Taliban seem highly uninterested in letting the US stay past August 31 to let the retreat play out. Is there any way they change their minds on this?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/23/us-evacuates-37000-from-afghanistan-as-taliban-calls-august-31-withdrawal-deadline-red-line.html

quote:

“It’s a red line. President Biden announced that on 31 August they would withdraw all their military forces. So if they extend it that means they are extending occupation while there is no need for that,” Suhail Shaheen said, according to the report.

“If the U.S. or U.K. were to seek additional time to continue evacuations, the answer is no. Or there would be consequences,” he added.

I have to own up to being one of the many Americans who tuned out of Afghanistan after the Trump deal. What happened the last time when Biden pushed the deadline to August 31?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eric Cantonese posted:

I have to own up to being one of the many Americans who tuned out of Afghanistan after the Trump deal. What happened the last time when Biden pushed the deadline to August 31?

They conquered Afghanistan.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

They conquered Afghanistan.

Right.

But I mean... was there back and forth and an ultimate acceptance of that or did Biden make that call unilaterally and everything just unfolded in the lovely way we're seeing now?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Eric Cantonese posted:

Right.

But I mean... was there back and forth and an ultimate acceptance of that or did Biden make that call unilaterally and everything just unfolded in the lovely way we're seeing now?

IIRC, they basically kept quiet about it and left US/Western forces alone. They just focused their fire on ANA and other Afghan targets while letting the US and other Western Militaries withdraw. Which was the smart move because I have no doubt if they decided to throw everything they had against the US/Western forces as they were attempting to pull out, it'd have resulted in a delayed withdrawal and more fire coming down on them that they didn't need to deal with.

Or put more simply. They won, and they knew it. It was just a matter of waiting for the US to leave, which they saw us doing so no need to force the issue.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eric Cantonese posted:

Right.

It was an unilateral decision by the Biden admin. They did not make any efforts to coordinate talks between TB and the Afghan government.

TB then began their push shortly after the April announcement.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

The Taliban themselves, who saw him as a legacy of the previous administration, and the average Afghan, who had no idea who he was until the US fired cruise missiles at them in '98.

They had plenty of opportunities to get rid of him or curtail his activities and they didn't. Of course the average Afghan wasn't responsible for him, but the Taliban definitely shared culpability. That doesn't make them unique--obviously the US is culpable for all kinds of poo poo around the world. But any great power with the capacity to do so would have attacked the Taliban after experiencing a 9/11 style attack masterminded by someone they were harboring. The failure wasn't in attacking the Taliban, which was already a miserable pariah regime with no international legitimacy, but in deciding we needed to occupy the country forever to make up for our failure to murk bin Laden.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Meanwhile the west lost all interest in Afghanistan after the Soviets left, so why should the Taliban, who were struggling with legitimacy, cede sovereignty to appease the US?

It was a failure of diplomacy, namely America's failure to engage in it.

And it was repeated again in 2001, against a Taliban who were much more open to negotiate, even.

So they didn't lose their country for 20 years? As much of a disaster as the war has been for the US, it was obviously a much, much bigger failure for the Taliban until very recently, since they started off ruling the country. They may actually emerge stronger than they started it now, as a result of stupid mistakes the US made after the invasion, but if I told you that you could be a little more well off in 20 years if you had to be mostly homeless and enduring crippling personal losses until then, I don't think you'd accept that trade, and they shouldn't have either. They let bin Laden draw them into a whirlwind of poo poo by harboring him before 9/11, and compounded the problem by not immediately handing him over for something he was 100% guilty of once the enormity of that mistake was made clear. The US also made mistakes, but the US has the luxury of making enormous mistakes and surviving.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sinteres posted:

So they didn't lose their country for 20 years?

I'll not blame them for failing to predict that the US would mount a large-scale invasion followed by a 20-year-long occupation in response to their request to see the evidence and proposal to have OBL extradited to a third party country.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'll not blame them for failing to predict that the US would launch a 20-year-long occupation in response to their request to see the evidence and proposal to have OBL extradited to a third party country.

It was very easy to predict that they were going to lose control of the country if they didn't immediately give the US everything they demanded at that point. I don't know how old you are/were at the time, but pretty much everyone in the world knew what the next step was.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I was old enough to expect another Gulf War-style action once I saw the war drumming ramp up.

Instead we got this clusterfuck.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Taliban seem highly uninterested in letting the US stay past August 31 to let the retreat play out. Is there any way they change their minds on this?

Probably not? They seem like they’re pretty set on holding the US to agreements already set in stone. 37K have been flown out already, with like 16K in the last day or so. Still have a whole week left, I don’t see how the deadline gets extended if this rate keeps up.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
People blame the US failure on the inchoate and ever expanding/shifting goals that were set, but the events of the past week show that the real goal of the Afghan War was the friends we made along the way :)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

You know, if you went back to late 2001 and told them how few Americans would die in terrorist attacks over the next 20 years, they'd be loving thrilled, so by that standard the war on terror was a massive success (or maybe just unnecessary, but at the time nobody would have believed that). If you told them how many members of the military would die, I think they'd be pretty unhappy to hear that, and might assume Saddam used chemical weapons or something instead of most of it just being insurgent level poo poo. What would really boggle people's minds, I think, is how much money we spent on the wars though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
And then the mindboggling thing is between the 2 trillion of the War in Afghanistan, and 3 trillion that was flushed down to prop up the stock market and the billionaires who go richer around March 2020, it's a struggle for the US to pass a 3.5 trillion infrastructure deal.

Admittedly that's US Pol more than this thread but man, the priorities.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The writing on the wall is that a very lucrative deal was made to guarantee taliban non-aggression against americans trying to leave the country. However this can not have been popular even though the reasoning for such a deal is straight forward. I don't doubt that the US earnestly wants to be done pulling people out by then, but yeah if they aren't out it puts the taliban leadership in a rough spot and it's a pretty poo poo sell to tell people that they just took the country but also the US is still here and you can't do anything about it at all

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I mean, I don't know if the Taliban watches U.S. News but with the current vibe of people over here basically jonsing like meth addicts for war all of the sudden, the Taliban should probably do themselves a favor and take their victory quietly, while giving the U.S. a wide berth on our way out the door.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1429888237082906637

Are those kids US Citizens now?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Only if it was US Territorial Waters or US Airspace. The plane/boat doesn't count by itself.

Also, there's a legal requirement that the parents be subject to the jurisdiction of the United States even if they're not citizens, which I'm not sure what the rules would be concerning foreign military evacuees like these people are.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 24, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sinteres posted:

It was very easy to predict that they were going to lose control of the country if they didn't immediately give the US everything they demanded at that point. I don't know how old you are/were at the time, but pretty much everyone in the world knew what the next step was.

Seriously the Taliban's conditions were unacceptable.

The US could never agree to putting a CIA asset on trial in a country where they don't control the courts, not offering to murk Bin Laden before he could talk was essentially the same as blackmailing the US. And you don't want to blackmail the US unless you want to get bombed then kick their rear end in a long drawn out guerrilla war.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I hope so

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Sadly not. Check 8 FAM 301.1-3 here:

https://fam.state.gov/fam/08fam/08fam030101.html

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Are those kids US Citizens now?

No, but hopefully they will be soon enough. I saw a clip on CNN of Afghans waiting in line to board a plane, it really chocked me up for moment. The adults looked tired but were smiling, and most of the kids were beaming and flashing V signs at the camera. I am so glad we are pulling so many people out of there, those folks deserve to escape the salafist hell-government that's coming. I hope we can pull tens of thousands more out in the next week.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sadly most of them will end up in short-term turned long-term makeshift refugee camps in Qatar and other places for multiple months or years, then get repatriated back to Afghanistan.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Has anyone made a good-faith effort to calculate the number of Afghan allies that we should be extracting if ideal conditions (instead of the looming deadline we have) were in place? Like, are we talking about a number in the hundred thousands?

I was reading that there was an initial wave of 130,000 people who made it out of South Vietnam in 1975, but if you start looking at the other people who had to flee later due to government repression, you get to more than 1,500,000 refugees for people fleeing from all the violence, instability and poverty in Southeast Asia.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Last I checked there were around 40-50k SIV qualifiers plus their immediate families, and probably triple or quadruple that collaborators who worked through contractors and were kindly told to gently caress off re evacuation ("check with the UNHCR at the border").

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Uhhhh a Ukrainian Transport plane has just been hijacked and redirected to Iran:-

https://twitter.com/ajabreaking/status/1430069897879511043?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Last I checked there were around 40-50k SIV qualifiers plus their immediate families, and probably triple or quadruple that collaborators who worked through contractors and were kindly told to gently caress off re evacuation ("check with the UNHCR at the border").

And given we've moved something around 10K so far, currently held at Rammstein and Al-Uedid in Qatar, and if you factor in the time it's going to take for our broke-rear end immigration system to process all these folks, then we are looking at October at the least JUST for the SIVs to get out of the country.

We may have 6k troops in the country until New Years if we are serious about getting as many out as we can. That means we are going to need long-term logistics to keep security vehicles running, troops and refugees fed, and ammunition in case ISIS-K comes knocking.