Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jonny 290 posted:

Gonna go with a 6-7' medium rod with spinning reel to start, I think.

are the 273 in one starter tackle kits worth a poo poo, or is it the screwdriver bit situation where 98% of them are just in there for piece count? maybe better to buy 100 hooks / sinkers / etc and stitch together a kit?

The floppy hat has already been ordered (i burn easily)

Tackle kits kind of suck to be honest. What you want to fish for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Here's where my noob shines. I literally don't know. I downloaded the Colorado fishing app and am looking around; the three nearest reservoirs are all stocked with trout and looks like bass/bluegill/trout are the top hitters at those. For my first year or so i wanna keep it very simple and low-stress.

e: specifically the app says "stocked with trout and warmwater"

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 22, 2021

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Some size 16 or 18 (small) treble hooks, a split shot or two on a 2-3 foot leader with power bait or an inflated nightcrawler would work for trout if you just want to catch fish. You could also get some cheap steels like kastmasters, thomas bouyant, etc. if you want to try jigging for trout as opposed to just hangin' around waiting for them to bite. That would be as simple as it gets for the trout really.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 22, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Here's where my noob shines. I literally don't know. I downloaded the Colorado fishing app and am looking around; the three nearest reservoirs are all stocked with trout and looks like bass/bluegill/trout are the top hitters at those. For my first year or so i wanna keep it very simple and low-stress.

e: specifically the app says "stocked with trout and warmwater"

If you are fishing from the bank and your options are lakes and streams for trout, the easiest method to start is just simple rod/reel , some small hooks (like the post above me said) and a splitshot. Bobber comes into play as well depends on the situation. The real key is learning how to put a worm on the hook straight as possible and either getting small worms or pinching them off to the right size. Its really that easy. Another is just a small in-line spinner bait (rooster tail). Small as your rod/reel can reasonably cast.

My man richard gene the fishing machine shows you how simple it can be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc0yQtehfDA

Youtube is a great resource for figuring out things from people who have at least plenty of experience fishing. The main thing to understand is there are many methods to catch trout, just by fishing will you figure out what works for you. You learn best by going, by trying, and eventually catching fish.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sickening posted:

My man richard gene the fishing machine shows you how simple it can be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc0yQtehfDA

Sorry for being that guy, but please don’t ever keep a trout out of the water for this long.

For trout, you can either unhook them while they’re still in the water, or net them in the water and then take ‘em out for a quick five-second grip-and-grin.

(Dunno if the original was in jest, but…yeah)

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 22, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

waffle enthusiast posted:

Sorry for being that guy, but please don’t ever keep a trout out of the water for this long.

For trout, you can either unhook them while they’re still in the water, or net them in the water and then take ‘em out for a quick five-second grip-and-grin.

(Dunno if the original was in jest, but…yeah)

I don't care how long they are out of the water, I am going to eat them.

And yeah, don't be that guy.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 22, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Threw a hundo at Dick's (:v:)

Hook prices were insane so i didn't buy too many. i'll probably buy one of the 1k for $10 packs on amazon...other'n that, maybe some fluoro and make some leaders at home? What gaping holes (again, :v:) do i have?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I would get smaller, shorter shank hooks for trout. (for live worms anyway)

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 22, 2021

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Jonny 290 posted:

Hook prices were insane so i didn't buy too many. i'll probably buy one of the 1k for $10 packs on amazon...other'n that, maybe some fluoro and make some leaders at home? What gaping holes (again, :v:) do i have?

You get what you pay for generally. You can get them, but you'll want to test their strength. Those cheap hooks are cheap for a reason. What are you considering insane prices?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

OniPanda posted:

You get what you pay for generally. You can get them, but you'll want to test their strength. Those cheap hooks are cheap for a reason. What are you considering insane prices?

Like 6 bucks for 8 hooks, size didn't seem to matter

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I haven't been to a dicks in forever, but I can't imagine they're super competitive on a lot. Go to a tackle shop, or websites like tackle direct or tackle warehouse. I have spent a good chunk of change on hooks, but I don't think most of them are insanely priced. At least not to move up to above 2/0 hooks....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hate to admit it but I've become a convert to the weird off-brand (I assume Chinese?) big lots of fishing hardware on Amazon. I get all my hooks, swivels, bobbers, weights, etc from there now. I've also become a fan of the little boxes they come in, they pretty much eliminate the tedium of organizing a tackle box and they're quite reusable.

stuff like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Drasry-Fishi...80&sr=8-28&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Woozettn-Fishing-Bobber-Button-Accessories/dp/B0931VXCW7/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=bobbers&qid=1629666209&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Luengo-Stain...s%2C211&sr=8-57

Anyway I'm not a virtuoso or anything but I can't tell the difference between this stuff and what I'd get at Bass Pro for several times the price.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I use whatever rando tackle comes with the lure or Eagle Claw / Gamakatsu / Mustad for normal fish hooks for brookies, panfish, small bass. The exception is steelhead or salmon fishing, I lost a beautiful salmon last year and upon retrieving the lure discovered a straightened treble hook. It was the generic hook that came with the spoon, I put on some VMC hooks on the big lures and have yet to see a hook even flex on the big fish.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Yeah don't cheap out on hooks.
Also make sure to check the fishing regulations where you are. For example where I am located you can can't fish (in fresh water) with barbless single hooks only.
Which is what you want to use as well if you intend to to catch-and-release.

edited a typo

therunningman fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 23, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jonny 290 posted:

:perfect:
Your kit looks exactly right. Cast those little mepps blades or suspend a worm below a bobber on a hook with one of those split shots. You'll catch trout or panfish if they're there and hungry.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

therunningman posted:

Yeah don't cheap out on hooks.
Also make sure to check the fishing regulations where you are. For example where I am located you can't fish (in fresh water) with barbless single hooks only.
Which is what you want to use as well if you intend to to catch-and-release.

Wait what that’s so backwards. So you are limited to barbed hooks only?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Jonny 290 posted:

A jar of powerbait might be a good call for stockers. Sometimes stocked trout instinctively go for anything that looks like the food pellets they were raised on. A wad of powerbait dough can imitate that.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Wait what that’s so backwards. So you are limited to barbed hooks only?

I think this was a typo based on the C&R comment. Some water is single barbless hook only, and some of the rivers here in CO are also artificial flies and lures only; no bait.

If you have barbed hooks and want to C&R, you can just pinch the barbs down with pliers.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 23, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

King of Bees posted:

A jar of powerbait might be a good call for stockers. Sometimes stocked trout instinctively go for anything that looks like the food pellets they were raised on. A wad of powerbait dough can imitate that.

yeah I thought this and a jar of salmon eggs. nothing else works as well on panfish for me as small red salmon eggs, no matter where i am.

looks like you need some jig heads also? a bag of 1/16 red or white ones is probably the best choice.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

waffle enthusiast posted:

I think this was a typo based on the C&R comment. Some water is single barbless hook only, and some of the rivers here in CO are also artificial flies and lures only; no bait.

If you have barbed hooks and want to C&R, you can just pinch the barbs down with pliers.

That was a typo.
And some streams are "fly-fishing only" while some get reduced further to "artificial fly only".

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Jonny 290 posted:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Yamamoto_Senko/descpage-YAS.html

Fish it Texas rigged or wacky rigged and have fun catching all the bass

e: agreed with titties on the line rec

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 23, 2021

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Jonny 290 posted:

Looks good to me, you might want some jig heads for those plastics, and maybe a couple of mepps or panther martin inline spinners.

I personally would use the monofilament for leaders and get some 15 lb braid.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Interesting. i've kind of assumed that braided line is Advanced Tier but sounds like it'd be okay to get started with. I'll give it a shot!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Jonny 290 posted:

Interesting. i've kind of assumed that braided line is Advanced Tier but sounds like it'd be okay to get started with. I'll give it a shot!

It was 25 years ago but modern braid is very good and easy to use.

A lot of us only use braid. I use 15 lb power pro on everything except my ultralight rigs.

Personally i pre tie all of my lures with an 8 lb mono leader that terminates in a non- slip loop so i can just clip them onto a clasp tied onto the end of the braid.

titties fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 23, 2021

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Braid has a lot of advantages but monofilament is still the most popular type of line and people catch fish with it every day. Maybe get braid next time after you spend some time with the mono line you already have so you will be able to know what the difference is.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Eh, it's cheap. Ordered one of those recommended hook sets, a jig head assortment, 300 yd of 15 lb braided, and a sling bag and some sturdy 3600 boxes. I got a basic tackle box at Dick's just to carry my purchases but that can be my overstock/extras box here at the house.

Thanks folks, now time to stop buying crap and get out there later this week! Will give me time to read the whole thread, haha.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Jonny 290 posted:

Thanks folks, now time to stop buying crap....

I'm not sure you understand the hobby you've gotten into.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Speakin of which. Shoes? Thinking some low hikers would be nice on rocky/unsteady shores, but am also thinking they might get heavy as gently caress when - not if - i gotta get in water or god forbid mud. Or should i just recommission last season's sneakers or what?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Speakin of which. Shoes? Thinking some low hikers would be nice on rocky/unsteady shores, but am also thinking they might get heavy as gently caress when - not if - i gotta get in water or god forbid mud. Or should i just recommission last season's sneakers or what?

I always wear flip-flops for working on lake shores. sandals or water shoes plus quick dry shorts will let you wade up to your waist no problem, and you'd be surprised how much lake you can cover when you can go out to waist deep water.

definitely remember to take your phone out of your pocket though. ask me how I know.

I also usually use a little tackle backpack for this kind of setup. it carries pretty much everything you need to work off of small lake shores and means you never have to worry about hauling around a tackle box. they're cheap, plus you can put your phone in there.

that being said, while I've always really liked getting out in the water and moving around a lot, it is also perfectly valid to just plop down a folding chair, cast out of line or two, and enjoy the scenery.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jonny 290 posted:

https://www.teva.com/men-sandals/original-universal/1004006.html

I bought those for a canoe trip through the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota. I fish wearing them while I wade in the Mississippi and they are perfect for protecting my feet from the bottom of the river. They fit great and wear to form an imprint of your foot so they get super comfy. Not the most stylish things ever made but I love them.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jonny 290 posted:

I use 5.10 canyoneers, but they're expensive. Combat boots work great also.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

bewbies posted:

that being said, while I've always really liked getting out in the water and moving around a lot, it is also perfectly valid to just plop down a folding chair, cast out of line or two, and enjoy the scenery.

My favorite part about surf fishin. Just walk out into the surf and start castin. I know I'm basically a walrus, but I still laugh at people who put on full waders in SoCal to surf fish. The water ain't that cold, even in the winter.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hekk posted:

https://www.teva.com/men-sandals/original-universal/1004006.html

I bought those for a canoe trip through the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota. I fish wearing them while I wade in the Mississippi and they are perfect for protecting my feet from the bottom of the river. They fit great and wear to form an imprint of your foot so they get super comfy. Not the most stylish things ever made but I love them.

ha, i was gonna suggest those exact sandals also. i bought a pair for a boundary waters trip and now wear them fishing regularly

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

Depending on where I’m at, I wear wading boots or waterproofed hiking boots.

If you’re willing to spend the money, a good pair of wading boots is clutch. Those plus some neoprene socks/gravel guards. It could be as cheap as $99 for some entry Redington boots, and another $25-30 for neoprene booties.

I hop around rocky shorelines here in Tampa, and I really like my work boot/hiking boots from Donner. Pricier, ($150?) but waterproof and can be recrafted. They can be a little warm, but it’s worth the extra protection for my ankles and feet on pretty sharp poo poo.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
These are my favorite fishing boots, they have really good grip.

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/servus-max-fishing-boots/0990115450006/_/A-5278882

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
great input from everybody. yall are awesome.

Totally forgot about just some tevas.

bewbies posted:

I also usually use a little tackle backpack for this kind of setup.

The idea of trying to wander around the shore while keeping track of - and keeping upright - this normal cheap tackle box kinda bugged me. i ordered a little sling bag and some burly 3600 size boxes, going to try that out.

And i also have a little teeny folding stool that i'll be trying out too for the lazy days yeah!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Get a sit on top kayak.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Crab Dad posted:

Get a sit on top kayak.

SOON

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had a spirited debate with my stepdad who is an elite fish man who generally really knows his poo poo last night and I want to know more.

I throw/write/etc left handed. On spinning reels I always move the crank to the right side of the reel so's I can cast with my left hand and crank with my right. The first time I ever picked up a baitcaster, it was a right-hand crank...the same basic idea as the spinners I was used to, and it made perfect sense. As long as I can remember, I've held the rod and cast with my left hand, and cranked with my right.

Apparently...this is not the norm for baitcasters? Stepdad was saying that he and everyone he knows casts and retrieves with the same hand, meaning they cast, then switch the rod to their off hand when retrieving so they can crank with their strong hand. In other words, he said I should be retreiving with my left hand.

I'd never even given this a second thought, but it seems in cursory googling he's...sort of right? I had noticed that there are always more righty baitcasters than left, but I guess I never considered why that might be. It also looks like more folks are switching to a one-hand setup like what I've always done.

Anyway I'm very curious now what other people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Almost all professional fishermen reel with their dominant hand( for whatever that is worth) that I have noticed. Saying that, it makes zero difference what hand you care to use. Do what feels right to you.