Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://share.garmin.com/PakistanOnK2

If you're curious, one of the teams is <300m from the summit at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

shame on an IGA posted:

When you command the rip tide to stop but she still succin

*gets on PA*

"SEA NUT!!!"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

orange juche posted:

https://share.garmin.com/PakistanOnK2

If you're curious, one of the teams is <300m from the summit at this time.

I hope the Sherpas get down safely.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

*gets on PA*

"SEA NUT!!!"

this was worth the wait

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
They found the two dead veteran climbers around the bottleneck on K2 supposedly coming back from summitting and it's like so many lives could be saved with one of those slides you ride down on a burlap sack.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Why not done?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Or just zip lines. I mean COME ON.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

They found the two dead veteran climbers around the bottleneck on K2 supposedly coming back from summitting and it's like so many lives could be saved with one of those slides you ride down on a burlap sack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZRqeRRik8c

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Doesn't even do any tricks!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

The avengers of goon undertakings

Grover Haus at the bottom

Doobies dog Haus at the top. A zip line between them

4 balls at the edge of the summit

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Doesn't even do any tricks!

I think the trick was to not die.

Counterpoint to that is Marco Siffredi, the first snowboarder to fail to shred Everest twice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ikB81IJ9y4

Apollodorus posted:

imagine some dude punking the poo poo out of a bunch of experienced mountaineers by bragging about surviving the goon zipline off the mountains and then they all have to go back and redo the mountain now

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Probably because there's a vertical slope traverse you need to not fly off over on your magical carpet ride to certain death.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Sounds like you’re against people claiming first person to burlap sack off of Chogori.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

ewe2 posted:

Probably because there's a vertical slope traverse you need to not fly off over on your magical carpet ride to certain death.

It's cool, the slides have raised sides. You have to leave a little danger.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Those lazy Sherpas refusing to die by the dozens to install it

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Sounds like the owner of these sherpas needs a stern talking to

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Thats the mountaineering spirit right there!

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I gasped when I heard that in the Sherpa film.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Somebody said I just need to tip them :10bux: but I hardly think they deserve that much

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sherpas:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Why not just use a wingsuit

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Why not just not die? I mean really

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
if I was a billionaire I'd pay the Sherpas to add an extra metre to the summit.
Then retire them all on fat pensions if they agree to refuse all assistance to non sherpas

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

One way visas and climbing trail for summiteers. They get their photo op, and then step into the wingsuit, and now it's leg two of the New World's Most Dangerous Games!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I would wonder if the thin air would make the glide slope of a wingsuit so bad as to be unfeasible. There was that one dude that parachuted off though which seemed like a pro move

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Goinf downstairs sucks. Going down a mountain sucks more. All the dudes who died near the top had it right.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah even on non-idiotic mountains to climb going down feels way more dangerous

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Carlos Lantana posted:

if I was a billionaire I'd pay the Sherpas to add an extra metre to the summit.
Then retire them all on fat pensions if they agree to refuse all assistance to non sherpas

Etna is now like 100ft taller than two years ago due to the constant eruptions, so I think you're on to something here.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Pure speculation, but I'm curious what you all think. Let's say an earthquake or a crazed poster from this forum knocks off enough of the summit to put it below K2 in height. How much do you think climbing would decline there?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PittTheElder posted:

I would wonder if the thin air would make the glide slope of a wingsuit so bad as to be unfeasible. There was that one dude that parachuted off though which seemed like a pro move

For planes, air density doesn’t much affect glide slope. It’s numerically equivalent to the ratio of lift:drag, and pressure affects them in the same proportion. Your true speed at altitude is higher than at sea level, but you hold the same slope.

If anything is an edge case, though, it’s wingsuits.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well I am not good at lift math but it's the ability to gain speed that I think fucks that logic up for glide craft in general right? I'm sure if you strapped a jet engine it'd work though, get to work rich boys!

Although poo poo I guess the jet stream is right there if you play your cards right...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you’re in a plane, at the moment the engine quits, you demonstrably had enough airspeed to fly. Now you pitch down to trade altitude for forward motion and maintain flight.

The wingsuit starts with no airspeed and has to build it in freefall. Thin air means you have to build more speed to start flying and you’ll need a greater vertical fall to do that.

Once you do get going, though, you should be able to hold the same slope all the way down. You don’t fall like a brick indefinitely, just to get started.

Winsuits have awful glide ratios in any case, granted.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Pure speculation, but I'm curious what you all think. Let's say an earthquake or a crazed poster from this forum knocks off enough of the summit to put it below K2 in height. How much do you think climbing would decline there?

Gotta knock off nearly 850 feet to get it there. That's a hell of an earthquake\explosion.

It would probably also grind climbing to a halt as the infrastructure to support climbers would have to be ramped up. K2 is even more remote than Everest is

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
doesn't part of the physics of the wingsuit involve proximity to the ground?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Empty Sandwich posted:

doesn't part of the physics of the wingsuit involve proximity to the ground?

Not really, no. All the wingsuit videos show dudes really close to the ground because it is awesome, but to get to the point where you can do that you have to start by practicing very far from the ground.

EDIT:

Here are some people practicing in essentially skydiving conditions. http://www.adventurerocket.com/preparing-for-base-season-wingsuit-coaching-with-jarno/

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

Gotta knock off nearly 850 feet to get it there. That's a hell of an earthquake\explosion.

It would probably also grind climbing to a halt as the infrastructure to support climbers would have to be ramped up. K2 is even more remote than Everest is

dramatization

i know it's a thousand miles away

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Platystemon posted:

If you’re in a plane, at the moment the engine quits, you demonstrably had enough airspeed to fly. Now you pitch down to trade altitude for forward motion and maintain flight.

The wingsuit starts with no airspeed and has to build it in freefall. Thin air means you have to build more speed to start flying and you’ll need a greater vertical fall to do that.

Once you do get going, though, you should be able to hold the same slope all the way down. You don’t fall like a brick indefinitely, just to get started.

Winsuits have awful glide ratios in any case, granted.

That's what jetpacks are for, duh

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Anne Frank Funk posted:

dramatization

i know it's a thousand miles away

The mountains watch...

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

So we agree- much less dangerous to hire these guys. They'll knock it out in a few days and sherpas can be hired to run it. Everyone toss in $5. We'll make our investment back in one season.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
someone should attempt to dive off a high altitude balloon in the stratosphere and parachute to the top of Everest and then snowboard down it maybe even using the chute as an airbrake/traversal tool, or forget the chute, just cut it away and alpine that bitch all the way down, maybe wing suit across crevasses if necessary and just really send it