Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

FakePoet posted:

Which AC:Odyssey "edition" should I get? I don't care about boosts/equipment stuff, just the most complete actual game/story.

Just get the base game. The DLCs aren't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

FakePoet posted:

Which AC:Odyssey "edition" should I get? I don't care about boosts/equipment stuff, just the most complete actual game/story.
The Gold Edition, it includes the Season Pass + some bonus fluff stuff but it's the cheapest option to get the expansions.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

The original Psychonauts is $1 for the next couple days. It's worth full price IMO but it's really hard to turn down at 90% off.

I've been replaying it over the last few days just to get me in the mood for 2, and it's still really, really good. If you haven't played and are even slightly interested in 2, that is an absolute steal.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gasoline posted:

Just get the base game. The DLCs aren't very good.

Yeah, this.

Ubisoft pretty much sucks rear end at DLC, I think Curse of the Pharaohs for Origins was the only DLC I've ever genuinely had a blast with.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I only played the fate of atlantis DLC, but I had a blast with them. Three new maps, new toys to play around with, and balls-out on the mythology and fantasy poo poo was fun to do.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Albinator posted:

I've been replaying it over the last few days just to get me in the mood for 2, and it's still really, really good. If you haven't played and are even slightly interested in 2, that is an absolute steal.

I'm also replaying it in anticipation of 2 and it really has aged so well. No real jarring camera issues, mechanics are nothing incredible but perfectly serviceable, and the art direction and environments are so god drat imaginative and fun that it just sucks me right in and I barely even notice the Xbox era graphics after a few minutes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

First Blade is really lame but Atlantis is pretty fun. I would say hold off on any DLC until you play through the main game since it’s hella long already.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
People now get jealous! BTW its easier to cook humans now.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
How is Survivalist - Invisible Strain shaping up? I bought it a while back because it was cheap and people here mentioned liking the first one.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Samopsa posted:

I only played the fate of atlantis DLC, but I had a blast with them. Three new maps, new toys to play around with, and balls-out on the mythology and fantasy poo poo was fun to do.

I thought all of the maps were annoying as hell to traverse and honestly, after 130 or so hours with Odyssey alone, I had absolutely had enough of the game... the season pass was pretty much unnecessary.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Has anyone played Control and remember enough to give me a hint for this HRA machine puzzle? The ones it's giving really aren't helpful.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Controller talk. If you're doing wireless with a dongle, don't plug it into a USB 3.0 slot if you can help it - those are the blue usb ports. It causes severe interference that will lead to what feels like periodic, possibly extreme lag.

You also want to be line of sight from controller to the dongle, so sticking it into a USB 2 port on the back of the computer isn't a good idea. And most newer computers no longer have USB 2 on the front, if they have USB 2 at all.

Pick up a cheap $5-10 usb 2.0 hub, put your controller dongles in it and leave it where there's line of sight from your controller to it. It'll make a difference to how the controller feels.

I have no dogs in XBox vs PS controllers other than to point out that the DS4 comes with a gyro built in which Steam will let you map to gyro aim. The Steam Deck will have a built in gyro as well, so it's possible we'll see more games with gyro support on PC in a year or two.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

v1ld posted:

Controller talk. If you're doing wireless with a dongle, don't plug it into a USB 3.0 slot if you can help it - those are the blue usb ports. It causes severe interference that will lead to what feels like periodic, possibly extreme lag.

Wow, I had no idea about this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Justin_Brett posted:

Has anyone played Control and remember enough to give me a hint for this HRA machine puzzle? The ones it's giving really aren't helpful.
Did you find all 3 whiteboards with hints?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Which hints have you found? There’s one for almost every terminal if I’m remembering right.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Palpek posted:

Did you find all 3 whiteboards with hints?

Yeah, they were the hints I was confused about. Unless it's as simple as 'don't use the ones that are x'd out', but it doesn't seem that way.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I don't remember there being any trick to that, the terminals are numbered corresponding to the position from left to right and there should be enough clues on the white boards to eliminate down to one choice per position. It may be helpful to sketch it out or take screenshots

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i started up splinter cell blacklist recently. this game is such a time capsule. the president being obviously based on hillary clinton, the terroist-network plotline, the finicky uplay garbage. its very quaint

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It was one thing I was off by, thanks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Do NOT, and I cannot stress this enough, do NOT get the First Blade DLC for Assassin's Creed Odyssey. If you do by some chance, and you play it, then when you get to the point where Milhouse leaves and Kassandra ponders,"Maybe I should go back to the house?" then DO NOT GO BACK TO THE HOUSE.

It still blows my mind they did something as stupid, pointless, dumb and frankly insulting (gently caress it, straight up offensive) as what they did in that game: one of the DLC characters hits on you and you can either let him down gently or straight up tell him you are not in any way interested. When you go back to the house, they play a cutscene where he shows back up anyway, Kassandra immediately declares she loves him, you get married and retire from being an assassin and have a kid, then your kid gets kidnapped and you have to go rescue them (I can't even remember enough about the goober you supposedly loved to remember if he gets murdered or not) while all the while pining for a life and family that you never showed any interest in while you had player agency, or in fact actively expressed disinterest in.

All this happens regardless of if you played Kassandra as heterosexual, homosexual or asexual, and the original achievement name for being forced to marry and pop out a kid was, I poo poo you not, "Growing Up".

Yes I'm still mad about it :argh:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

explosivo posted:

It's really bad - also affects wireless headphones, which has probably caused more than a few angry reviews/returns/wildly different impressions of the same pair.

The external USB 2.0 dock near your PC is probably the best solution, but I'm always paranoid those are adding latency - need some fighting game or rhythm game nerds to investigate (there's probably a youtube vid on this exact research somewhere)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

explosivo posted:

I actually learned about this with the controllers on my Rift S - they seemed fine as long as you were only interacting with one hand, but I noticed in ALL games where you hold a gun or sword two-handed it would freak the gently caress out, jump all over the place with recoil, slap around at crazy angles, it was like the tracking was broken as soon as you tried to hold an object with both "hands." I just assumed all VR was janky as poo poo, until I saw Youtube videos of people doing impossibly-coordinated moves in Blade & Sorcery or easily managing the recoil on a gun in Boneworks.

I started randomly reconnecting things in desperation and switching the USB half of the Rift S cable from a blue port a regular 2.0 fixed everything instantly. I can recreate it just by plugging it back into the wrong ports. It's crazy, I had genuinely no idea.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 24, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That's how I discovered it too. Sudden bursts of insane lag lead to me googling for interference which turned up that Intel paper.

It's not only USB 3 ports on a computer, have had the same problem with an external USB hub C/3 used with a Switch where I plugged in a controller adapter dongle. Had to use the same USB 2 Hub plugged into the C/3 hub to play.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Do NOT, and I cannot stress this enough, do NOT get the First Blade DLC for Assassin's Creed Odyssey. If you do by some chance, and you play it, then when you get to the point where Milhouse leaves and Kassandra ponders,"Maybe I should go back to the house?" then DO NOT GO BACK TO THE HOUSE.

It still blows my mind they did something as stupid, pointless, dumb and frankly insulting (gently caress it, straight up offensive) as what they did in that game: one of the DLC characters hits on you and you can either let him down gently or straight up tell him you are not in any way interested. When you go back to the house, they play a cutscene where he shows back up anyway, Kassandra immediately declares she loves him, you get married and retire from being an assassin and have a kid, then your kid gets kidnapped and you have to go rescue them (I can't even remember enough about the goober you supposedly loved to remember if he gets murdered or not) while all the while pining for a life and family that you never showed any interest in while you had player agency, or in fact actively expressed disinterest in.

All this happens regardless of if you played Kassandra as heterosexual, homosexual or asexual, and the original achievement name for being forced to marry and pop out a kid was, I poo poo you not, "Growing Up".

Yes I'm still mad about it :argh:

I do think they hosed up by not understanding they gave up the ability to dictate as much about how these characters behave once they started introducing choice into the game, and I get why LGBT people in particular weren't happy about it, but blanket telling everyone they shouldn't buy it seems a bit much. Read the spoilers (if you aren't going to buy it otherwise, you may as well), see if you give a poo poo about any of that stuff, and if you don't, it's just a kind of a DLC with a not particularly great story that gives you more stuff to do on a map that already has too much to do. I personally kind of enjoyed it, while I had zero patience for Atlantis, but most people definitely rank them in the opposite order.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

victrix posted:

The external USB 2.0 dock near your PC is probably the best solution, but I'm always paranoid those are adding latency - need some fighting game or rhythm game nerds to investigate (there's probably a youtube vid on this exact research somewhere)

If you don't want to use a hub, there's some adapters you could use

Internal USB2 breakout

Internal USB2 to USB3 (turn your cases front USB3 ports into USB2 ports)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I forgot how awful the combat was in Risen 2; even by Piranha Bytes standards. Fighting animals is such a grueling, awful thing. Now I remember why I fell off of this game. Who needs attack patterns for you to learn and exploit when you can just be stunlocked by relentlessly aggressive and random attacks! Who needs iframes on a dodge too? Or for it to keep you locked on your enemy so you could use it to position around them.

No wonder why people say to join the colonial slaver faction, you get access to guns that let you alpha strike most enemies to death to avoid engaging in this trash. At least in Gothic and Risen 1 your attacks weren't slower than doing taxes and you could stun enemies back. I do remember it being a little better in Risen 3, but I have little memory of that game. They ever figure this crap out in Elex or did they keep the steady decline of diminishing returns?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 24, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Jimbot posted:

I forgot how awful the combat was in Risen 2; even by Piranha Bytes standards. Fighting animals is such a grueling, awful thing. Now I remember why I fell off of this game. Who needs attack patterns for you to learn and exploit when you can just be stunlocked by relentlessly aggressive and random attacks! Who needs iframes on a dodge too? Or for it to keep you locked on your enemy so you could use it to position around them.

No wonder why people say to join the colonial slaver faction, you get access to guns that let you alpha strike most enemies to death to avoid engaging in this trash. At least in Gothic and Risen 1 your attacks weren't slower than doing taxes and you could stun enemies back. I do remember it being a little better in Risen 3, but I have little memory of that game. They ever figure this crap out in Elex or did they keep the steady decline of diminishing returns?
Elex is good and humans/mutants have more predictable combat patterns but it sounds like you just forgot how to play PB games.

Risen 2 & 3 suck though, I'll give you that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Qmass posted:

does gamepass still orphan HDD partitions ?

It has never done that. It chucks non-modifiable games in a special folder you can't touch, and loads them via a virtual disk sometimes (for games that are basically 1:1 binaries with Xbox) but it does not orphan partitions or touch your disk weirdly like that.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
It's a real bitch to clean up all the WindowsApps and other bullshit folders though, so I keep all my game pass games on their separate herpes-infested partition.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://2mellomakes.bandcamp.com/album/sounds-of-tokyo-to-future
celeste an later alligator music guy has a new jest set inspired album as of a few minutes ago
It's real loving good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is fallout 4 the really bad one?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is fallout 4 the really bad one?

AFAIK Na that’s 76.

It’s not amazing I guess ( I haven’t started it yet) but for $10 I’d you like fallout you’ll get your money’s worth.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Having tried 76 again recently it's..better, than it was and I'd probably play it more but from Aus there's intense gaps for server handshakes when you say, pick things up or use a terminal or take/enact damage and that makes it very unplayable.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Fallout 4 is at least fun enough to wander around and shoot things and scrounge around for salvage. I didn't particularly enjoy the main story, but there are enough cool little vignettes and quests that it's worth it if you enjoyed Fallout 3.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

Elex is good and humans/mutants have more predictable combat patterns but it sounds like you just forgot how to play PB games.

Risen 2 & 3 suck though, I'll give you that.

Nah, I just finished Risen 1 last week. Enemies attacked a lot but not as much as they do in Risen 2. Risen 1 also had side-step dodging that let you create opening. Risen 2 has a dodge roll that removes your lock-on and goes in a cardinal direction. It's probably one of the most worthless dodges in any video game. It doesn't even have iFrames to compensate for not doing anything else useful.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i played a few minutes of risen 3 and thought I was being trolled. the feel of the controls and gameplay felt somehow lower than low budget

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

zachol posted:

Fallout 4 is at least fun enough to wander around and shoot things and scrounge around for salvage. I didn't particularly enjoy the main story, but there are enough cool little vignettes and quests that it's worth it if you enjoyed Fallout 3.

Yeah. If your favorite part of modern Fallouts is shooting and raccooning, Fallout 4 may be the best one. The gunplay is pretty sharp for the first time, and almost every single lootable object has some kind of function that make hoovering up sacks of desk fans and pencils and stuff useful. The world has a lot of unique, interesting locations to explore. Exploring and looting and building crap is my central Fallout Joy so 4 and 76 are both an excellent time for me.

If you're into Fallouts for the story or dialogue you're going to (mostly) have a bad time with it. But then again, you will have mostly have had a bad time with fallouts for the last decade.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zachol posted:

I mean it's what, 7, 8 bucks? Then again I got bioshock infinite for free and lol if I got further than some theater with crows or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sinteres posted:

I do think they hosed up by not understanding they gave up the ability to dictate as much about how these characters behave once they started introducing choice into the game, and I get why LGBT people in particular weren't happy about it, but blanket telling everyone they shouldn't buy it seems a bit much. Read the spoilers (if you aren't going to buy it otherwise, you may as well), see if you give a poo poo about any of that stuff, and if you don't, it's just a kind of a DLC with a not particularly great story that gives you more stuff to do on a map that already has too much to do. I personally kind of enjoyed it, while I had zero patience for Atlantis, but most people definitely rank them in the opposite order.

I'm one of those people who always says people should play something and decide for themselves. That particular section of the DLC was one of the only things I've ever played in a game where I thought,"I have to actively warn people not to do this" because the game seriously gives no warning that anything remotely like this is going to happen, and railroads the player into some complete bullshit that presumably even they figured out sucked afterwards since the follow-up DLC has you able to meet important people from your past in the afterlife and Milhouse is nowhere to be seen and doesn't even rate a mention or aside.

But I mean, yeah, if somebody reads those spoilers and goes,"I don't care about that, it doesn't bother me at all!" then yeah it's more content (in an as you say already overly packed map) with a not particularly great story addon to the basegame, and more power to them if they decide they want to. For me it just... really, really sucked!