Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'm just rereading Sabbat Martyr and I'm getting chills. It's incredible how, so many years and so many rereads later, the climactic segment between the attack in the balneary and the death of Innokenti still hits this hard.

"Her life was all that mattered." Gets me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

There's a lot of great stuff later in the Gaunt's Ghosts series, but it did really feel like their whole existence peaked at Herodor

At the time, I remember being a little surprised when Traitor General came out, as it had kind of felt like they were...finished with what they were supposed to do

but Only in Death does Duty End etc. etc.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The fact that they themselves grapple with feeling purposeless in the later novels is a pretty good narrative twist TBH.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One that I enjoy a lot because A: it is a good narrative about how even a major win like Herodor doesn't end the war and B: I'm not actually that fond of Sabbat Martyr and I consider it one of the weaker books in the series that desperately needed another fifty pages or so to fully develop its story.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Arc Hammer posted:

One that I enjoy a lot because A: it is a good narrative about how even a major win like Herodor doesn't end the war and B: I'm not actually that fond of Sabbat Martyr and I consider it one of the weaker books in the series that desperately needed another fifty pages or so to fully develop its story.

how, how can you have this opinion. It is at least the second best in the series after Only in Death, maybe even equal with it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

how, how can you have this opinion. It is at least the second best in the series after Only in Death, maybe even equal with it

It suffers from textbook "bad Abnett ending" syndrome where things wrap up far too fast and rob moments of the time to really sink in effectively. It's also tucked between two of the best books in the series, Straight Silver and Traitor General, which both dealt with the bad Abnett ending syndrome in different ways that felt thematically appropriate to the stories they were telling.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Next week we are getting another Warhammer Crime anthology, this time with a Mike Brooks story. If you haven't picked up Broken City yet the novella was hella rad and the other stories are ok to great. Surprised we are getting two crime anthologies so close together but I believe it is due to BL's new author pipeline. They've actually been recruiting quite a few new authors from the open submissions (for a while they almost never actually picked anybody) and they expect you to do several short stories before they let you try a novel so they are getting lots of short fiction the last couple of years. A good reason to actually do the next open submission period. They did the same thing with the Horror stuff when it first started coming out. I think it is great and we have already gotten several really good authors out of this new arrangement (Mike Brooks, the Infinite and Divine guy, several others).

I am really excited to see where BL is at in 3-5 years with a whole bunch of new quality authors. There is also a Warhammer Fantasy art book coming out next week. We've gone over a month without an LE release and still no Warhawk LE. It's possible they are going to do a simultaneous release with the regular edition this time or they may be waiting to get the kinks worked out of the queue system.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Warhammer+ on Wednesday. Super pumped about the new shows.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 23, 2021

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Necropolis is still my biggest hope for a large movie production in 40K, no small part of that being that it completely sidelines Space Marines, who imo take up too much space in the setting and are so very rarely interesting. My last few books were Avenging Son and the Dark Imperium books and I find myself skipping through all the fighting bits because they're completely uninteresting next to the politics. But Necropolis done in a Band of Brothers style series? Would loving own.

My second wish for a movie or TV show would be Traitor General. It's just a supremely well done and tight storyline.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Give me a big-budget live-action movie version of Severed and/or The Infinite and the Divine, you cowards

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 24, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
There is supposed to be a live action Eisenhorn series in the works for Amazon Prime and I think that's a great first choice for a live action adaptation.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I don't think it's for prime I thought it was for the streaming service?

Personally as much as I love the GG books they wouldn't be that much different than current war movies. I want space Marines, custodes, Primarchs, psykers, demons, navigators. Just get real weird with it if we do live action. I do think Eisenhorn would be very very good if handled correctly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

D-Pad posted:

I don't think it's for prime I thought it was for the streaming service?

Personally as much as I love the GG books they wouldn't be that much different than current war movies. I want space Marines, custodes, Primarchs, psykers, demons, navigators. Just get real weird with it if we do live action. I do think Eisenhorn would be very very good if handled correctly.

Remember the weirdly warped spacetime on the alien planet at the end of the first book ? Eisenhorn has plenty of weird.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Televise Fifteen Hours you fuckin cowards

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mllaneza posted:

Remember the weirdly warped spacetime on the alien planet at the end of the first book ? Eisenhorn has plenty of weird.

He even meets some deathwatch marines towards the end of the first book so you can have some marines without them taking over the entire story.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I don’t think the Eisenhorn series is attached to a network or service yet but it’s got Frank Spotnitz, who ran Man in the High Castle, which is some actual muscle. So my hopes are midlevel.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

For real though, get the people who made Chernobyl for hbo do a Fifteen Hours miniseries. you cowards

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Why do that when you can do Ciaphas Cain until the end of time?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

We already had 4 Black Adder series?

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
There's also a chaos space marine that Eisenhorn and crew fight at least twice that I can remember. I think this is the first time I came across one in the fiction, and I just had to Google what faction it was from because I didn't know anything about chaos factions when I read Xenos - apparently he was from the Emperor's Children. I remember thinking those encounters were pretty wild and the single(I think) chaos space marine was suitably intimidating and tapped into the cosmic horror aspect of the setting. Ditto to the crazy extra-dimensional warped reality place already mentioned, and the very strange xenos species involved.

I need to go re-read that series with more seasoned eyes, but there's so much else to read.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Azubah posted:

Doesn’t count. :colbert:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BigShasta posted:

There's also a chaos space marine that Eisenhorn and crew fight at least twice that I can remember. I think this is the first time I came across one in the fiction, and I just had to Google what faction it was from because I didn't know anything about chaos factions when I read Xenos - apparently he was from the Emperor's Children. I remember thinking those encounters were pretty wild and the single(I think) chaos space marine was suitably intimidating and tapped into the cosmic horror aspect of the setting. Ditto to the crazy extra-dimensional warped reality place already mentioned, and the very strange xenos species involved.

I need to go re-read that series with more seasoned eyes, but there's so much else to read.

Lets not forget the casket and crystal that has a chaos worshipper bound to it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That part was cool because it freaked Bequin out so much she ran away and they were discovered.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Xenomrph posted:

Azubah posted:

Featuring Baldrick as a Perpetual whose cunning plan inevitably results in his horrible death, but he always appears again at the start of each episode insisting that the plan in fact worked wonderfully.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Cain only works as a reaction to 40k grimdark. You do Eisenhorn first to establish the 40k tone THEN you do Cain to make fun of it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If they do Eisenhorn and its successful I imagine they'll do the Ravenor books as well considering they're basically a direct continuation.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If they do Eisenhorn they need to get someone who can do absolutely killer narration over it. Just the most portentous voice available.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

wiegieman posted:

If they do Eisenhorn they need to get someone who can do absolutely killer narration over it. Just the most portentous voice available.

Urban doing his Dredd voice might work.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

wiegieman posted:

Mark Strong voiced Eisenhorn in the Eisenhorn videogame (and Titus in the Space Marine videogame), he should totally play Eisenhorn in the live action version.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Mark Strong voiced Eisenhorn in the Eisenhorn videogame (and Titus in the Space Marine videogame), he should totally play Eisenhorn in the live action version.

Hmm. I could see that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mark Strong interview

https://youtu.be/r7vs0a4I5tU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
If we get Space Marines they need to be a Deus Ex Machina when all is lost, like in the 2nd book in the Vaults if Terra series.

When all is lost have them turn up and after 30 seconds of pure aural and visual assault everything is dead. They don't need characterisation or much screen time just full Michael Bay for a tiny amount of time to be cool and that is it.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If we get Space Marines they need to be a Deus Ex Machina when all is lost, like in the 2nd book in the Vaults if Terra series.

Exactly this. They're almost mythical at this point, with most people never seeing anything like them. They should literally be angels descending and bringing the apocalypse with them. Utterly inhuman, fast as gently caress and just wreck everything with brutal violence leaving the people they've saved traumatised. The place should look like a tsunami hit it afterwards, but with people turned inside out

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 24, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"BE NOT AFRAID" one booms, descending from the Emperor's holy heaven on wings of flame

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
A whole film of space marines would get boring fast and feel like a long Marvel CGI fight.

But using them as an almighty ending with chainswords roaring, bolters exploding fools, ground shaking as they charge through the enemy and just utter epic yet meticulous, controlled destruction as guardsmen weep with rapturous joy that the stories are real would be perfection

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A whole film of space marines did get boring.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Dog_Meat posted:

A whole film of space marines would get boring fast and feel like a long Marvel CGI fight.

But using them as an almighty ending with chainswords roaring, bolters exploding fools, ground shaking as they charge through the enemy and just utter epic yet meticulous, controlled destruction as guardsmen weep with rapturous joy that the stories are real would be perfection

Get the Astartes guy on it and it'll be perfect. No dialogue, no subtlety, just 5 minutes of pure mayhem and roll credits.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dog_Meat posted:

Exactly this. They're almost mythical at this point, with most people never seeing anything like them. They should literally be angels descending and bringing the apocalypse with them. Utterly inhuman, fast as gently caress and just wreck everything with brutal violence leaving the people they've saved traumatised. The place should look like a tsunami hit it afterwards, but with people turned inside out

I'll say it again, the average Space Marine would make John Wick look like Gomer Pyle.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

mllaneza posted:

I'll say it again, the average Space Marine would make John Wick look like Gomer Pyle.

What do Primaris make an average Space Marine look like?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Like someone who isn’t paying enough for the newest plastic men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zil posted:

What do Primaris make an average Space Marine look like?

A grumpy old man getting told to move over by someone technically older than him but with the attitude of a young hotshot.