Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I still think they look good on Enterprise, just in the sense that it made the ship feel like a futuristic version of a 2000's space program.

Oh agreed, but they do look a little silly with how you can tell they just glued keyboard keys around the bezels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aces High posted:

hey, why don't we do something fun, let's speculate: what could be some other metaphorsreferences that our new Tamarian may say if the translator fails again?

"George Costanza, his penis shrivelled" = drat, it's cold out.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Like, ignore the LCD screens for a second and look at the framing around them. Like they planned on painting in some LCARS details and then just forgot or decided not to. It's so bad.

It can work, but you have to go all-in on making it a deliberate design decision.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
It definitely worked on Enterprise because they were obviously showing the monitors as monitors. Space Monitors, sure, but still monitors. It was a million times better as a design choice than the increasingly poor work on the TNG films.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Costanza, his penis shrivelled

threaaaaad title

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Nemesis was so incredibly ugly

Like, ignore the LCD screens for a second and look at the framing around them. Like they planned on painting in some LCARS details and then just forgot or decided not to. It's so bad.

Ugh.

Not to mention they used each of those little screens like once. Before Nemesis it looked like this:

(render, but accurate)

And what they would've done on TNG is just composite in an animation of the buttons wiping away and the display showing what they needed. Which would've looked so much better, and for one shot would have to have been cheaper than rebuilding the consoles with LCDs built in and setting them up with driving computers.

(Also, god, how much better does that purple and gold LCARS color scheme match up with the burgundy bridge than the nemesis ALL COMPUTERS ARE BLUE IN SCI-FI FUTURES look. If it didn't have the whole unstructured layout problem the Enterprise-E bridge might be my favourite just on that ambience)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 22, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh agreed, but they do look a little silly with how you can tell they just glued keyboard keys around the bezels.

Also they had this circle divot at the top of all the screens that I think was meant to be a camera maybe?

But really just made it look like an upside down Dell

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

they did successfully predict the embedding of cameras into every display in existence though

e: ok the keyboard keys glued to the edge are silly but what really kills it for me is the green power LED (and possibly the monitor adjustment buttons underneath)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Roadie posted:

It definitely worked on Enterprise because they were obviously showing the monitors as monitors. Space Monitors, sure, but still monitors. It was a million times better as a design choice than the increasingly poor work on the TNG films.

I looked up Nemesis's director and lord, what possessed the studio to think this guy could direct a Star Trek movie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

I looked up Nemesis's director and lord, what possessed the studio to think this guy could direct a Star Trek movie.

They promised him a high profile movie directing opportunity as a payoff for him helping save a mission impossible in the edit, and then didn't really want to do they flogged him off on Nemesis, which pissed him off, so he didn't give much of a poo poo, and screwed the movie at the same time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snow Cone Capone posted:

they did successfully predict the embedding of cameras into every display in existence though

e: ok the keyboard keys glued to the edge are silly but what really kills it for me is the green power LED (and possibly the monitor adjustment buttons underneath)

"Mr Shoe, return fire to the Klingons and engage evasive manoeuvres beta-6!"

"I'm trying captain, but it keeps asking me if I want a receipt and if I want to do another transaction."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

5 episodes into Discovery and I hope the cinematographer or the cameramen or both die.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

8one6 posted:

5 episodes into Discovery and I hope the cinematographer or the cameramen or both die.

Sadly, they don't die. It does kind of calm down in season two though. Except I think season two has the ready room scene that literally made me motion sick.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

No but see like there's no down in space so there's no down for our camera WHEEEEE

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah I don't know who thought talking in a meeting could be jazzed up with a helical pan, but gently caress it's awful

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I like the camera spinny poo poo. Jangle those keys in front me, go nuts.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
wrong place

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 23, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god next week's episode is called "We’ll Always Have Tom Paris"

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I really like how this is a show made by people who love Star Trek. Boymler's little speech about how he likes that Riker plays the Trombone was so fun :3

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One thing I'm surprised lower decks hasn't done is bring back the skant.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ok, after 9 episodes I'm upgrading most of the characters from "I actively hate everyone" to "I don't care if they die".

8one6 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 23, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

MikeJF posted:

Oh god next week's episode is called "We’ll Always Have Tom Paris"

MikeJF posted:

One thing I'm surprised lower decks hasn't done is bring back the skant.

Let me reiterate

MikeJF posted:

Tom Paris

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/michelleparadis/status/1429837570381385729

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
This reads goodbye-ish?
Please don't pull an ENT on us

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Was season 3 worth watching at all?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
One of the writers already mentioned returning to the writer’s room for season 5 soon a few weeks ago, so it’s almost certainly just a “see you next season” thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arglebargle III posted:

It starts out ok but goes nowhere. Basically goes from “we are all alone in an all new timeframe and must rebuild the ideals of the shattered galactic community” to “ok time to whack a crime boss”

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

lot of shattered ideals in nutrek

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Erulisse posted:

This reads goodbye-ish?
Please don't pull an ENT on us

Or swerve…Discovery because Star Trek Titan

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Its ok right up until the last couple of episodes, at which point it becomes the worst star trek. Including all of Voyager.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

barely made it through the first ep of Disco S03. why does the camera want me to puke so much?? why does every moment have to be so high intensity??? two people having a soft conversation doesnt need to have vamping music and shakey cam jesus

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

punishedkissinger posted:

barely made it through the first ep of Disco S03. why does the camera want me to puke so much?? why does every moment have to be so high intensity??? two people having a soft conversation doesnt need to have vamping music and shakey cam jesus

They are compensating for a LOT of shortcomings

Well, trying to

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the music never stops. its like nothing can carry its own dramatic weight

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well it's not like the ambient sounds of Star Trek vessels are highly recognizable and universally beloved or anything, what are they gonna do

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
they make all these whitenoise machines but none of them match up star trek ambient ship noise 12 hours youtube

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Arglebargle III posted:

Kind of yeah. As usual the overall plot never really lands but you can see good elements buried inside of the "really this is what you decided?" Like others have said, it works better on binging.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Voyager: Author, Author is a pretty weird version of TNG: Data's Big Day At Trial or whatever. Holographic people don't have federation rights and the coward g-man at the end wasn't ready to make the inevitable, obvious conclusion. Instead they declared that the Doctor qualifies as an artist, but not a person. Which also means under Federation law, artists are no longer necessarily people, which may be some kind of weird self-burn to all those involved in writing Voyager?

I really hope that if humanity ever gets to the point of making true AI via holograms and robots we immediately recognize how the obviously-people should be treated like people, since we've all grown up with media that continually brings up settled "debates" about the personhood of people. Then again, all of human history and also all of everything right now still fails to recognize people as being people when the only potential people to consider are basically genetically identical copies of the same human species.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

He's already an EMH, later an ECH, if he also became an LLC, then he could have the same rights a person. Problem solved.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's so odd the way they insist on quibbling about the physical form of various non biological life forms

Oh Data is a person? Ok

Exocomps are people too.... Ok fine.

Holograms? Let's do this again...

They're all just "computer programs", hasn't the proof of concept already been done? Why does it always seem to matter what shape housing you put them in

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Like, I know it's writers wanting to tell basically the same story over again and/or a lesson about spacism

But ... C'mon

Chief O'Brien and Worf serve with Data, know Lore, met exocomps, Moriarty, Lal... But Vic? He's "just a hologram"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

It's so odd the way they insist on quibbling about the physical form of various non biological life forms

Oh Data is a person? Ok

Exocomps are people too.... Ok fine.

Holograms? Let's do this again...

They're all just "computer programs", hasn't the proof of concept already been done? Why does it always seem to matter what shape housing you put them in

I guess my question about the whole "Oh, we have to recognize androids/exocomps/hologram personhood and give them the same rights we give everybody else." thing, putting aside ethical and moral questions, is why make them? If we want to make people who have full rights, there's a way to do it that's a lot more fun than programming. I mean, you're making holograms and robots and whatever as tools (unless you're Dr. Soong, I guess, who was just odd and really liked robots). Giving them rights seems to get in the way of that. As good as Measure of a Man was, it seems like the answer to Picard's accusation of "You want to build a race of slaves!" is just "Well, yes. Exactly. You've uncovered our not very secret plan. I mean, that's what 'robot' means."