Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Lisa, I want to buy your rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

spunkshui posted:

That “hacker” finished returning all of the money today he “stole” in the worlds biggest crypto hacking theft.

:rolleyes:

Did they return based on crypto amount stolen, or monetary value stolen?

If they stole it at $30k and returned the same monetary amount when it was $40k, they could have made like $200m “borrowing” the crypto.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

So the COO of Coinbase had some clarifications to make today about the reserves backing USDC:
https://twitter.com/emiliemc/status/1429664322725158914
https://twitter.com/emiliemc/status/1429664325208137730
Translation: We lied about the composition of our reserve, sorry about that! Our monthly reserve reports are running a bit late because we realized that we miiight have "pulled a Tether" and accumulated some dodgy assets that we purchased with USDC, but don't worry, we're desperately liquidating those dodgy assets and promise to only hold Good Assets in the future. You can trust us this time, we are definitely listening to our lawyers now. (Well, only some of our laywers, we're still ignoring the ones telling us "USDC is a security in substance if not form, this is an unregistered public securities offering, this is a regulatory nightmare", those guys are a buzzkill.)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SoccerMomTrades/status/1429619870996512768?s=19

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I keep my passwords safe by writing them down and burying them under my birdbath in case I forget them.

Sinecure
Sep 10, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

There's nothing like a length cap to make me worry that a site's storing my unhashed password.

There's algos out there that only work on the first N characters (bcrypt and NTLM spring to mind) so they might just be knowingly using bad/poorly implemented hashes :shrug:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

brb, changing all my passwords to a random number of the first N characters of the John Galt speech

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Gonna mint NFTs of my farts, so they can linger for all eternity.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So if I were to make an NFT of a stash of drugs, use the drugs, and then sell that NFT to buy more drugs and somehow there is no loss in value? Seems completely stable.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what if she makes an NFT of herself.

Also doesnt Rocko's basilisk say that a copy is the same as the original, thereforehahahahahahahhaha

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://twitter.com/RealNatashaChe/status/1429577944888979462

this poo poo is just straight up insanity

diamonds are already bullshit as stores of value, but imagine proposing to someone by presenting a bit of the blockchain that says you own a bunch of diamonds that sunk to the bottom of the ocean and insisting it was the value equivalent of giving them an engagement ring

(i know the current trend in nfts don't even give you actual ownership of anything, i need to ignore their wider stupidity to be able to focus on whatever the gently caress this idea is)

edit:

the characters in dumb and dumber where financial geniuses, they weren't writing worthless ious, they were just minting a series of physical nfts backed by deceased dollars

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 23, 2021

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

She isn't wrong. If I still own nothing in this transaction.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

this whole concept is so loving stupid but is being presented so matter-of-factly that I feel like I might be having a stroke

this is just so stupid it makes me wonder at some level if it is me who doesn't understand something

cue that image again I guess lol

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Someone read too much about Rai stones

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

https://twitter.com/RealNatashaChe/status/1429577944888979462

this poo poo is just straight up insanity

diamonds are already bullshit as stores of value, but imagine proposing to someone by presenting a bit of the blockchain that says you own a bunch of diamonds that sunk to the bottom of the ocean and insisting it was the value equivalent of giving them an engagement ring

(i know the current trend in nfts don't even give you actual ownership of anything, i need to ignore their wider stupidity to be able to focus on whatever the gently caress this idea is)

edit:

the characters in dumb and dumber where financial geniuses, they weren't writing worthless ious, they were just minting a series of physical nfts backed by deceased dollars

Given how Bitcoin is a speedrun to doom, it makes sense that they'd make a much more dumb version of the paper metals market.

E: There never was a diamond.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

In a way she’s correct, since NFTs have zero intrinsic value it’s impossible for it to drop lower.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The closest real world equivalent to NFT's that I can think of are those novelty certificates that say star NS 76523853 is now officially Greg Smith IV loves mommy. Except instead of "pinky swear we aren't naming the same star thousands of times" now it's "pinky swear by the power of blockchain we aren't selling the same link to.... Well, it really doesn't matter. What matters is that it's unique."

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I still don't understand why you would buy an nft of a diamond, instead of just the diamond itself. Or is the assumption that when you buy thr nft of a diamond, the seller mails the actual diamond to you, too?

I doubly don't understand why you would buy an nft of a diamond that was lost in a fire.

Like how can this nft have any value to store if nobody wants to buy it?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I still don't understand why you would buy an nft of a diamond, instead of just the diamond itself. Or is the assumption that when you buy thr nft of a diamond, the seller mails the actual diamond to you, too?

I doubly don't understand why you would buy an nft of a diamond that was lost in a fire.

The value of the diamond is magically transferred to the NFT through the act of paying for it, don't you see?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Published author since 6 yrs old.

only a lifetime in academia can give us a brain this powerful

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It's actually all very simple, all of this is: it's valuable because people assume that other people find it valuable. That's it. That's all there is to it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The rai stone thing works for a diamond NFT. It makes more sense than art NFTs at least unless this is some galaxy brain take that paying for an art NFT is like locking in the idea that this concept is worth this money even if the physical form is destroyed.

Just comes to the point why it's any different than Bitcoin, which neatly packages up all the electrical energy used to burn the land and boil the oceans for use later as electrical rai stones.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
If I make an NFT of my brain and bang my head repeatedly against a brick wall, the NFT will still represent my full intelligence and perception, even as my actual brain is so concussed that I think that tweet makes a good analogy. Few.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Telarra posted:

It's actually all very simple, all of this is: it's valuable because people assume that other people find it valuable. That's it. That's all there is to it.
Then NFTs are just as good as fiat currency, because that's what you just described. Checkmate. :smug:

Please don't mention how actual currency is backed by governments and subsequently their legal systems, militaries, etc.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

divabot posted:

If I make an NFT of my brain and bang my head repeatedly against a brick wall, the NFT will still represent my full intelligence and perception, even as my actual brain is so concussed that I think that tweet makes a good analogy. Few.

i would be happy to provide my excellent reading voice for your next audiobook, sir.

https://soundcloud.com/user-710437758/big-brain

https://soundcloud.com/user-710437758/stop-stealing-my-posts

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 23, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Blotto_Otter posted:

So the COO of Coinbase had some clarifications to make today about the reserves backing USDC:
https://twitter.com/emiliemc/status/1429664322725158914
https://twitter.com/emiliemc/status/1429664325208137730
Translation: We lied about the composition of our reserve, sorry about that! Our monthly reserve reports are running a bit late because we realized that we miiight have "pulled a Tether" and accumulated some dodgy assets that we purchased with USDC, but don't worry, we're desperately liquidating those dodgy assets and promise to only hold Good Assets in the future. You can trust us this time, we are definitely listening to our lawyers now. (Well, only some of our laywers, we're still ignoring the ones telling us "USDC is a security in substance if not form, this is an unregistered public securities offering, this is a regulatory nightmare", those guys are a buzzkill.)

At least they've sponsored Jerma's Dollhouse stream before turning into a pumpkin.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

I can't tweet a diamond. :smuggo:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Who wants to buy these NFTs i've made of some diamonds? The diamonds are a billion carrots each. Yes the biggest in all of existence, but the NFT is so small and portable!
I'm sorry the diamond is dead but its NFT lives on so please still pay me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Don't worry you can only make one nft from a particular diamond that is why they are valuable, because unique!!!!!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

My coworker just bought one of those Punk NFTs for 7k.

“Watch me flip this in 2 months for 200-300%”

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The worlds most flammable diamond, now in convenient blockchain form.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

IG-88 posted:

Let your coworker know I have some nfts for a new bridge they are building and ask if he wants to get in on the ground floor.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

IG-88 posted:

"That's okay, I've got my own copy"

Proceed to produce .jpg

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

IG-88 posted:

Your coworker is an idiot but the sad thing is that right now there is a really big amounts of idiots and he actually has a decent chance of making money on it. It's incredibly stupid but that hasn't stopped crypto for the last 10 years. I hate this world.

When NFT's first got popular after that big sale I took a picture of my dog taking a dump intending to mint an NFT and make a couple of hundred for laughs but then I saw how much gas fees were and gently caress that.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
No one's really going to buy your NFTs though unless you already have a following. But if you're an artist with even a tiny bit of skill and enough followers on insta, you can make a shitton of money for doing nothing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

Your coworker is an idiot but the sad thing is that right now there is a really big amounts of idiots and he actually has a decent chance of making money on it. It's incredibly stupid but that hasn't stopped crypto for the last 10 years. I hate this world.

When NFT's first got popular after that big sale I took a picture of my dog taking a dump intending to mint an NFT and make a couple of hundred for laughs but then I saw how much gas fees were and gently caress that.

I think if you're just buying it knowing it's stupid but wanting to gamble short term on it I don't think it's really any particularly dumber than any other form of gambling, it's only really dumb if you think like the NFT diamond lady above

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What kinda Diamond gets destroyed in a fire?

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

What kinda Diamond gets destroyed in a fire?

They're just Carbon, so all of them.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

But if my diamond was destroyed in a fire, and I have fire insurance, then what the hell is the NFT for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ymgve posted:

This is an Ethereum mining farm though (GPUs stopped being fast enough for Bitcoin mining years ago), and Ethereum is in the process of moving away from GPU mining. It is a fire sale.

It's a disaster looking to happen is what it is. A 'DC' running on consumer grade HVAC, in a second floor spare bedroom not rated for rack weights, with half-assed power and zero fire protection.

I'd want a structural engineer to determine just how badly the place is hosed before even going inside. Building code for most of the US says minimum live load bearing capability for a bedroom is 30lbs per square foot...

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 24, 2021