Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bone Crimes posted:

Thanks , I've seen 2 ID4s in real life now, and they seem larger than I thought from pictures. They look pretty nice, and I was surprised how loud the sound they make was ( is that configurable?)

Are most things doable with real buttons? How much do you *have* to use the screen to drive the car?

If the sound is configurable, I haven't yet poked around in the settings enough to figure out where.

As for the screen, you can do everything you need to drive without ever looking at the infotainment screen. There's a physical gear selector and all the cruise control / travel assist buttons are on the wheel. You can yell at the car to pick your audio source or start navigation, and once it's started, the little screen on the steering column will show the next navigation action. Similarly, once you're selected an audio source (phone, radio, android audio, whatever) you can control it with the buttons on the wheel.

For climate control, you can either yell at the car, or you can use the weird little touch-pads below the infotainment screen. Tap up/down or slide to change the temperature, and tap both sides of the pad simultaneously to control the heated seats.

The only real deal discrete physical buttons are the window controls and the seat controls. I still haven't figured out all the degrees of movement on the seat controls, but since it has two preset buttons on either side, my wife and I can each tweak our settings and save them as we go. The driver's seat preset also stores the side mirror positions which I assume is pretty standard these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

Blue/grey hydrogen is PR for big oil so it's natural to feel weird, don't worry about it.

Just look at this lawn ornament

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

If the sound is configurable, I haven't yet poked around in the settings enough to figure out where.

As for the screen, you can do everything you need to drive without ever looking at the infotainment screen. There's a physical gear selector and all the cruise control / travel assist buttons are on the wheel. You can yell at the car to pick your audio source or start navigation, and once it's started, the little screen on the steering column will show the next navigation action. Similarly, once you're selected an audio source (phone, radio, android audio, whatever) you can control it with the buttons on the wheel.

For climate control, you can either yell at the car, or you can use the weird little touch-pads below the infotainment screen. Tap up/down or slide to change the temperature, and tap both sides of the pad simultaneously to control the heated seats.

The only real deal discrete physical buttons are the window controls and the seat controls. I still haven't figured out all the degrees of movement on the seat controls, but since it has two preset buttons on either side, my wife and I can each tweak our settings and save them as we go. The driver's seat preset also stores the side mirror positions which I assume is pretty standard these days.

Is there a quick way to mute all audio? Perhaps just hold the volume down (i.e. volume left) button? It's one of those things you'd like to do in a hurry now and then. One thing that's nice with the I-Pace is a configurable button on the steering wheel. When I have one from the car sharing service over a few days I set it up so a short press is mute audio, long press is infotainment screen off, nice for preserving night vision. The VW infotainment also has an off button, does the car get angry and throw errors if you switch it off and keep driving? Do you lose the navigation info on the driver screen?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ola posted:

Is there a quick way to mute all audio? Perhaps just hold the volume down (i.e. volume left) button? It's one of those things you'd like to do in a hurry now and then. One thing that's nice with the I-Pace is a configurable button on the steering wheel. When I have one from the car sharing service over a few days I set it up so a short press is mute audio, long press is infotainment screen off, nice for preserving night vision. The VW infotainment also has an off button, does the car get angry and throw errors if you switch it off and keep driving? Do you lose the navigation info on the driver screen?

I'll have to try hitting the off button while driving and see what it does, that's an interesting idea.

If there's a trick for instantly muting it, I don't know it yet. I'll take a look at the manual later. I'll say that swiping all the way right to left on the volume control slider gets it pretty drat quiet, but it's not as fast as your I-Pace configurable button.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Not sure if this got posted already but GM recalling basically every Bolt made now. Includes the new EUVs. Recall estimated at 1.8 billion USD, complete battery replacement for each car. They had some earlier recalls they thought were isolated to one LG plant but it seems to be a battery design defect across the board.

I think they partnered with LG Chem for the ultium packs too.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
It sure did

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

Just look at this lawn ornament

Yeesh.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Westy543 posted:

Sorry to disappear for like 3 pages of speed limit chat, but I thought I lost a clip on earring the other day. After panic searching my interior, right before I turned around, it was in the back seat. Whoops :shobon:

Lord have mercy 🥵

See that's what happens when you boost the acceleration of an already quick car; you start losing earrings and appendages and stuff.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

Duck and Cover posted:

2019, 2,634 miles
2,634 mi in 2+ years? :psyduck:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guido Merkens posted:

2,634 mi in 2+ years? :psyduck:

I didn’t that with a car once.

(I was given a company vehicle and mainly worked out of state so I never actually drove it)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrPablo posted:

See that's what happens when you boost the acceleration of an already quick car; you start losing earrings and appendages and stuff.

I HOPE YOU HAVE LEARNED FROM THIS

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Sorry to disappear for like 3 pages of speed limit chat, but I thought I lost a clip on earring the other day. After panic searching my interior, right before I turned around, it was in the back seat. Whoops :shobon:

Lord have mercy 🥵

On second read, this is the biggest humblebrag. "Don't you hate it when your car accelerates so fast that it RIPS YOUR EARRING OUT OF YOUR HEAD AND IT LANDS IN THE BACK SEAT?"

Your penance is driving a mule-drawn buggy until November.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I test drove a dual-motor Tesla 3 the other day, and it's fast in a way I've never experienced before. Like I have this eerie feeling that owning one could be bad for my health. Nothing else to add, just that it's very fast.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get the obsession with acceleration; I've never once needed my car to accelerate fast, and it's uncomfortable for passengers when you're not driving alone. Fast acceleration is entirely superfluous, I'm not driving on a racetrack.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Having fast acceleration does have some practical uses even if they're rare. I enjoy getting some separation from the traffic when I'm at the front of the line at a red light, and it's so dang easy to match freeway speeds on onramps.

Edit: After thinking about it for a minute, it reminds me of motorcycle riding in traffic. Being quick is often the safe way to ride.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 24, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In a land of busy topography and mostly two-lane, I like good acceleration to help me pass slow pokes safely and efficiently. Ahem. Also, it feels nice.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I keep my Model 3 in Chill mode because I don't need that kind of torque when I'm angry. That scenario wound up being the only time I ever used it, aside from showing it off to passengers interested in electric cars. And they're happy to wait the extra 5 seconds it takes to disable Chill.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Having fast acceleration does have some practical uses even if they're rare. I enjoy getting some separation from the traffic when I'm at the front of the line at a red light, and it's so dang easy to match freeway speeds on onramps.

Edit: After thinking about it for a minute, it reminds me of motorcycle riding in traffic. Being quick is often the safe way to ride.

Ola posted:

In a land of busy topography and mostly two-lane, I like good acceleration to help me pass slow pokes safely and efficiently. Ahem. Also, it feels nice.

I can do both just fine in a Hyundai Ioniq, even in Eco mode. Not convinced.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Fine, you do you. :shrug: But maybe now you "get the obsession" others experience even if their wants and needs are different to yours.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

I can report that we had to, on multiple occasions, beat it into our teenage driver that accelerating like a bat out of hell is not a substitute for checking your surroundings and negotiating with other drivers.

More than once we (the parents) wound up screaming for cruft jr to slow down. One time they almost caused a wreck. We wound up wishing we'd gotten them something less peppy than the Nissan Leaf.

They've figured it out now, but I'm pretty sure it would have happened a lot sooner if their first car had performed more like my first car.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Fine, you do you. :shrug: But maybe now you "get the obsession" others experience even if their wants and needs are different to yours.

No, I don't get the obsession was the point. People like cars that accelerate fast because that's fun, not because it's some life-saving feature.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't get the obsession with acceleration; I've never once needed my car to accelerate fast, and it's uncomfortable for passengers when you're not driving alone. Fast acceleration is entirely superfluous, I'm not driving on a racetrack.

G-forces are cool and fun, and longitudinal G-forces generated by acceleration are a lot easier to experience than lateral G-forces from cornering

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Insane acceleration can be a kinda out of body experience. Watch my man Doug's O face here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qen0ZlZM0ZA&t=1915s

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

No, I don't get the obsession was the point. People like cars that accelerate fast because that's fun, not because it's some life-saving feature.

I don't get your obsession with hating fun.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Insane acceleration can be a kinda out of body experience. Watch my man Doug's O face here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qen0ZlZM0ZA&t=1915s

Rich points out a few quirks and features of the vehicle as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTpR6v3KQiQ

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

No, I don't get the obsession was the point.

Fame Douglas posted:

People like cars that accelerate fast because that's fun

Perhaps what you meant was "I remain unswayed by arguments that punchy acceleration is a life-saving feature". You clearly get the obsession.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The biggest problem I have with these non-supercars that can accelerate like motorbikes is the cultural appropriation of it. Oh sure now anyone who can qualify for car financing can rocket themselves and their families into oblivion at a rate that was previously a realm reserved only for 18-25 year olds on a learner's permit with a few grand burning a hole in their pocket (or an enabling, dubious lender), with none of the associated risk. Like gently caress off, four-wheels, this is our thing! You get to drive slow and not pay attention to your surroundings. That's your thing. But oooohh no. Now you can do both! It reeks of priveledge.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 24, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

The biggest problem I have with these non-supercars that can accelerate like motorbikes is the cultural appropriation of it. Oh sure now anyone who can qualify for car financing can rocket themselves and their families into oblivion at a rate that was previously a realm reserved only for 18-25 year olds on a learner's permit with a few grand burning a hole in their pocket (or an enabling, dubious lender), with none of the associated risk. Like gently caress off, four-wheels, this is our thing! You get to drive slow and not pay attention to your surroundings. That's your thing. But oooohh no. Now you can do both! It reeks of priveledge.

Replace "supercars" and "motorbikes" with "race horses", "wheels" with "legs", and you've got a splendid letter to the editor from 1915.

I don't disagree with you, mind: people are horrible at controlling cars, it's the #4 cause of death in the US. This just strikes me as letter to the editor material.

e: holy poo poo, it's not even in the top 10 anymore. COVID-19 really shook things up when it comes to how folks die!

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 24, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People comparing top acceleration stats for their commuter car is a little silly, I grant that. Taking 0.2s longer to go from 0 to 60 is pretty meaningless unless you're literally racing

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Cager," i holler as i overturn my uncle's Mach-E and turn the 4th of July into the 4th of poo poo

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
TBH I would definitely be in favor of geofencing top acceleration to only be on racetracks and airstrips. Anything faster than a 4s 0-60 is unnecessary.

Of course, anything slower than a 15 second is also terribly unsafe

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Speleothing posted:

TBH I would definitely be in favor of geofencing top acceleration to only be on racetracks and airstrips. Anything faster than a 4s 0-60 is unnecessary.

Of course, anything slower than a 15 second is also terribly unsafe

'Round these parts, farmers drive combine harvesters down the road to get from one field to the next, and people deal with it. Anybody claiming that's unsafe gets laughed out of the room.

We also have people riding horses, bicycles, backhoes, and other slow things. But I feel like we just had this discussion in this forum, and nobody's mind was changed, so it's maybe not worth doing a second time this month.

I'm not sure what the 0-60 of a combine is. I'm guessing something around ∞.

e: looks like top speed for at least one model is 20MPH.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
I went to see and sat in an e-tron GT today. It's a very pretty car. Assuming I can wrap my head around the idea of dropping an unreasonable amount of money on a car, I could use some advice processing some unusual stuff the dealer told me.

In particular, my local dealer didn't have their e-tron GT out on the showroom floor like most of the other ones I see listed online (seems everyone else has photos sitting in a showroom). In fact, none of the online photos were anything other than the standard stock images. The car also looked like it hadn't been detailed after transport - it wasn't filthy, but it didn't look freshly washed either. The salesman said there was an issue with one of the AWD components and mumbled something about the charger (great sign!) and it had been in the shop until just before I showed up for my appointment. It's been showing in their inventory for a few weeks but it also only had .6 miles on the odometer, so I'm probably the first person since it rolled out of the factory to drive it.

Assuming I decide to spend a ruinous amount on this car and otherwise do the typical car shopping due diligence, how typical is this sort of service visit fresh off the truck/boat from Germany? Is this part of the normal dealer shakedown they do when receiving new cars, or a huge red flag? I'm gonna ask the dealer for the service records relating to the repair - but would you treat it as a dealbreaker if they won't cough them up and say it's all covered under the warranty anyway? I appreciate any advice folks have.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought the VW IDs felt a bit slow. The ID.3 is in the high 6, low 7s. I think they've smoothed out the torque curve in the bottom to extend the life of the drive train, which isn't too bad of a thing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cruft posted:

'Round these parts, farmers drive combine harvesters down the road to get from one field to the next, and people deal with it. Anybody claiming that's unsafe gets laughed out of the room.
Why do you think slow moving vehicles are required to have special reflectors and/or lighting?

The fact that sometimes slow moving vehicles are a practical necessity doesn't change that they're also hazardous to traffic that isn't expecting them. They can be both, and someone who is trying their best with an inherently slow vehicle is a very different matter from someone choosing to be slow.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

wolrah posted:

someone who is trying their best with an inherently slow vehicle is a very different matter from someone choosing to be slow.

I'll say it again: perhaps the EV thread is not the right place to debate traffic justice and/or perceptions of a moral obligation to drive a certain speed.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You people got me interest in electric farm equipment. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMaQq_vRaa8

At least in southern Colorado, there were quite a few farms with solar panels in the corner of a plot. Because land boundaries here are typically square, and irrigation systems tend to pivot around a center, you wind up with circles of crop on square patches of land. The corners are great places to install panels.

I dunno, with this and that F150, I could see it being possible for a farm to go entirely electric in the next 5 years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Farmers leasing out small pieces of land within their fields to put turbines up is fairly common, too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's in Deutsch, but should be easy to understand for everyone that in the Kia the center konsoll ist nicht ge-slideable. (From 18:15-ish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQcMZaebQtc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's lame. That's one of the coolest features
Edit: as someone that does street parking and likes taking my dogs places I'd love to be able to slide over and exit the passenger side.