Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Rad Russian posted:

When server meshing gets released and does nothing Tony Z will release a video saying "well obviously right now it's a Tier 0 implementation of server meshing YOU DUMB FUCKS, we're pushing for full functionality in Tier 4". Then the hoard of citizens will get released into the various forums saying it's clearly a tier 0 implementation in an alpha, and no one has said any features were ever promised. The rest of the year will be spent releasing various toilet texture updates until everyone forgets about the server meshing release.

Eventually they are just going to go full Scientology and tell the faithful mega whales that they cannot know the true love of SERVER MESHING if they don't open their heart wallets to IDRIS.

Only true Thetan whales will achieve Tier 4.

Edit:

https://i.imgur.com/kwPIVqw.mp4

Penitent fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
So I recently played Returnal and it's equipment screen shows readouts of several things like oxygen, radiation, atmosphere and pressure. They're little meters that go back and forth. It's so pathetic that they probably just faked those meters and decided to focus on making all this gameplay and stuff. And there isn't even a loving argon rating. What a piece of poo poo.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

So, this is actually pretty funny. I know this thread will love it. See, CIG's trading system currently works on "Supply" and "Demand". A trade terminal will have a supply of resources it sells and a demand of resources it will buy. It will sell X amount and buy Y amount. The trading server keeps track of this for all servers and the supply/demand are supposedly split or something for that terminal between all the servers. Every 2 minutes the server will allocate more supply/demand to each trade terminal.

So, what this means is if a bunch of people start buying diamond across all the servers at a POI, eventually all the terminals will be sold out of diamond. Conversely, if you are trying to sell your materials, you might not be able to offload everything at once as the POI might only buy a handful at a time. Because more supply and demand slots are created every 2 minutes or so, it means you can be at a terminal clicking sell for half an hour until your cargo is depleted.

Now, everybody knows CIG probably hosed this up somehow, which they most definitely have done. When a server 30K's and crashes and a new server is brought online, most POIs start with only 30% of their supply stock. So immediately that server pulls the missing 70% stock from the global trade server to fill its terminals, causing the available supply across all servers to plummet. This means that when servers are being buggy, you can't buy anything as the servers themselves are depleting all the supply. The server crashes and all of its supply vanishes, then the new server eats up even more.

CIG then did a stupid thing and consolidated all the regional trade servers into one global server. USA and EU used to have separated economies, but not anymore. But when CIG merged them, they didn't bother to increase the supply/demand. So now you had multiple regions of players fighting over the same supply/demand that used to serve a single region.

Then CIG introduced refining. Miners used to be able to sell their raw ore for money, but now they have to turn it into normal commodities. The same ore commodities that traders used to buy and sell. That means that miners are now selling their ore and depleting the demand, which means you can only sell a couple ores at a time because the POI won't let you sell as much as you want. Both traders and miners are fighting over the available demand slots to sell.

All of this completely destroyed the trading economy. Because they are too lazy to triple some supply/demand values, trading is an exercise in frustration as nobody can buy or sell anything.

This has all culminated in the Nine Tails Lockdown mission. This is their fancy new dynamic event that they created in the 3.14 patch. They actually tied this event into the trading system. You have to haul "Medical Supplies" to the locked down station. But the hilarious twist to this? Medical Supplies actually spawn at 0% supply for new servers (instead of 30%). This means that as servers crash, Medical Supplies are constantly eaten up by new servers coming online. And, additionally, the supply refresh is low, so every 2 minutes you might only get a tiny handful of medical supplies. Players are supposed to trade these items, but these items just don't exist.

So GG CIG, your new event is trash because you have refused to change a couple numbers for the past 2 years despite countless people begging you to fix the problem.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 24, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maybe whoever coded the market systems is long gone and they can't figure out how to increase that number.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Coming soon to uplay, answer the call

"This was always the plan for star citizen" -reddit

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Nalin posted:

So, this is actually pretty funny. I know this thread will love it. See, CIG's trading system currently works on "Supply" and "Demand". A trade terminal will have a supply of resources it sells and a demand of resources it will buy. It will sell X amount and buy Y amount. The trading server keeps track of this for all servers and the supply/demand are supposedly split or something for that terminal between all the servers. Every 2 minutes the server will allocate more supply/demand to each trade terminal.

So, what this means is if a bunch of people start buying diamond across all the servers at a POI, eventually all the terminals will be sold out of diamond. Conversely, if you are trying to sell your materials, you might not be able to offload everything at once as the POI might only buy a handful at a time. Because more supply and demand slots are created every 2 minutes or so, it means you can be at a terminal clicking sell for half an hour until your cargo is depleted.

Now, everybody knows CIG probably hosed this up somehow, which they most definitely have done. When a server 30K's and crashes and a new server is brought online, most POIs start with only 30% of their supply stock. So immediately that server pulls the missing 70% stock from the global trade server to fill its terminals, causing the available supply across all servers to plummet. This means that when servers are being buggy, you can't buy anything as the servers themselves are depleting all the supply. The server crashes and all of its supply vanishes, then the new server eats up even more.

CIG then did a stupid thing and consolidated all the regional trade servers into one global server. USA and EU used to have separated economies, but not anymore. But when CIG merged them, they didn't bother to increase the supply/demand. So now you had multiple regions of players fighting over the same supply/demand that used to serve a single region.

Then CIG introduced refining. Miners used to be able to sell their raw ore for money, but now they have to turn it into normal commodities. The same ore commodities that traders used to buy and sell. That means that miners are now selling their ore and depleting the demand, which means you can only sell a couple ores at a time because the POI won't let you sell as much as you want. Both traders and miners are fighting over the available demand slots to sell.

All of this completely destroyed the trading economy. Because they are too lazy to triple some supply/demand values, trading is an exercise in frustration as nobody can buy or sell anything.

This has all culminated in the Nine Tails Lockdown mission. This is their fancy new dynamic event that they created in the 3.14 patch. They actually tied this event into the trading system. You have to haul "Medical Supplies" to the locked down station. But the hilarious twist to this? Medical Supplies actually spawn at 0% supply for new servers (instead of 30%). This means that as servers crash, Medical Supplies are constantly eaten up by new servers coming online. And, additionally, the supply refresh is low, so every 2 minutes you might only get a tiny handful of medical supplies. Players are supposed to trade these items, but these items just don't exist.

So GG CIG, your new event is trash because you have refused to change a couple numbers for the past 2 years despite countless people begging you to fix the problem.

I am the couple numbers that CIG can use to fix all their problems.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Rad Russian posted:

When server meshing gets released and does nothing Tony Z will release a video saying "well obviously right now it's a Tier 0 implementation of server meshing YOU DUMB FUCKS, we're pushing for full functionality in Tier 4". Then the hoard of citizens will get released into the various forums saying it's clearly a tier 0 implementation in an alpha, and no one has said any features were ever promised. The rest of the year will be spent releasing various toilet texture updates until everyone forgets about the server meshing release.

I think they already deployed that excuse back in 2019(?) or 2020. Just a quick little "oh yes server meshing is definitely a real thing, we know exactly what we need to do to make it, if by 'it' we mean some preliminary steps which will not produce any visible effects but will make it possible for us to begin to figure out how to approach developing real server meshing" from one of their network guys, to reassure the backers that this wasn't all some kind of utter bullshit that dribbled out of Chris's mouth in between vitamin doses. I don't know if they ever actually did those preliminary steps, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

Because weirdly, nothing reassures the whales more than CIG saying they know how to do something and are definitely doing it and then in the very same sentence saying that the thing they know how to do and have people working on won't do anything that anyone will notice and that it's really just a stepping stone to a thing that they don't know how to do...yet. I guess that's how software development works when you're doing things that have never been done before, though; you just keep kicking the can further and further down the road and eventually, I dunno, an angel descends from Heaven to bestow a solution upon you just because it's so tired of watching you gently caress around aimlessly?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Most importantly publishers know how to cancel a failed project

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Solarin posted:

Most importantly publishers know how to cancel a failed project

That could be their out. "Eeeehm sorry uhh everyone we wanted to make the eehm dream but eeehm Deep Silver cancelled it so eeehm direct your hate at them, thanks for all the cash, see you in Italy."

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Nalin posted:

CIG's trading system

Thanks for sharing this info. I guess game systems that lets players make lots of credits reliably aren't a priority for cig for some reason

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

L. Ron Hoover posted:

So I recently played Returnal and it's equipment screen shows readouts of several things like oxygen, radiation, atmosphere and pressure. They're little meters that go back and forth. It's so pathetic that they probably just faked those meters and decided to focus on making all this gameplay and stuff. And there isn't even a loving argon rating. What a piece of poo poo.

What the hell?

No argon meter, well, you know I argon to refund.

Sorry about that poor joke, I forgot to take my vitamins yesterday

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I Greyhound posted:

The gently caress is the Quanta system?

You know how Sim City and Cities Skylines (and the X series and… oh… almost every game with a dynamic economy ever) work, with a network of producers, refiners, and end-users, and an agent-based sim that looks at how quickly and easily, and in what quantities, you can move goods from one to the next? And if there's a break in your infrastructure design, the agents get backed up and stuff don't go where they're needed so you end up with ripping and interconnected supply/demand imbalances? And other agents may affect (or be spawned by) what happens along the route?

It's that.
Except less complex.
And poorly not at all done.

But since it has never been done before, and since you can't use the words “agent” or “network” because that would suggest that it's the same thing as those other things it's the same as, they called it “quanta”. Because what other word would you use to describe a collection of individual agents interacting?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 24, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tippis posted:

You know how Sim City and Cities Skylines (and the X series and… oh… almost every game with a dynamic economy ever) works, with a network of producers, refiners, and end-users, and an agent-based sim that looks at how quickly and easily, and in what quantities, you can move goods from one to the next? And if there's a break in your infrastructure design, the agents get backed up and stuff don't go where they're needed so you end up with ripping and interconnected supply/demand imbalances? And other agents may affect (or be spawned by) what happens along the route?

It's that.
Except less complex.
And poorly not at all done.

But since it has never been done before, and since you can't use the word “agent” or “network” because that would suggest that it's the same thing as those other things it's the same as, they called it “quanta”. Because what other word would you use to describe a collection of individual agents interacting?

TBF those other terms imply some actual functionality and understandable concepts. Quanta is perfect because it doesn't mean anything (in this context) and nobody understands it and it will probably never work.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Floob posted:

I remember seeing this thread, and thought the game looked like it would never happen... I am also barely aware of this game, but I knew someone who was pretty hyped up about it a few years back, and I just spoke to him over the weekend. Apparently he has over $60,000 into ships and other assorted poo poo and can't wait for it's release...

Is this like a cult or something? Is he delusional? Is there still a launch plan? When he told me how much real money he had into this, I didn't know if I should laugh, cry, or call his next of kin. That is a crazy amount of money to sink into anything virtual, neverminded a game that hasn't even launched.

I was going to put a down payment on a house, but I bought some jpegs instead.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Solarin posted:

Thanks for sharing this info. I guess game systems that lets players make lots of credits reliably aren't a priority for cig for some reason

That's already in the game. It's called NPC bounty hunting and you can make about half a million credits in an hour. It is so crazy how much money you can make versus literally everything else. It is yet again another example of CIG ruining almost all their existing gameplay loops because they are too lazy to change a couple numbers.

Fix the trading numbers and suddenly cargo hauling and asteroid mining become more viable. Fix the rewards for delivery missions and those could become viable too.

Also, CIG broke planet mining this patch because you can't detect rocks unless you are 1.5km away from them, which means you just can't find any rocks on the planet to mine with the ROC. So that's yet another gameplay loop made non-viable.

Literally the only decent way to make money is to shoot NPCs.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

BluesShaman posted:

I was going to put a down payment on a house, but I bought some jpegs instead.

Houses come and go but an Idris with LTI last for ever.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
It's costing us less than that guys jpegs to fence and landscape our backyard and put in a 14 x 15 foot pergola. And that's with still inflated prices of lumber.
I'll admit that my backyard cannot transport me through virtual space though.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fidelitious posted:

It's costing us less than that guys jpegs to fence and landscape our backyard and put in a 14 x 15 foot pergola. And that's with still inflated prices of lumber.

It transports you through real space, since Earth and Solar system and our galaxy are in constant movement, though. Whoooooo!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

It transports you through real space, since Earth and Solar system and our galaxy are in constant movement, though. Whoooooo!

But what are the argon levels?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scruffpuff posted:

But what are the argon levels?

Not enough

:nyoron:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Fidelitious posted:

We just bought a rental property in Hawaii with a down payment near the amount he spent on jpg's.

I know I will never experience the thrill of true Fidelity while relaxing on my deck watching the sun set, but I'll drown my sorrows in Hairy Roberts.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

smellmycheese posted:

How long is The Agent going to blue ball the thread? This is getting into Derek territory
hello (finally)

quote:

I keep pointing out that we are focusing on PvE more than PvP. No one else here seems to care that the majority of players want things skewed heavily toward PvP. Players want robust networks of faction controlled areas and they want conflict between those areas. This is how you build a perfect sandbox for your players. You give them a few toys and a few rules and they can make their own fun in the game.

I know this is what most of the players want. However, the designers and executives and press people want us all to focus on PvE. Quests! Dress-up! Crew-mates you can romance! Stats you can raise! What a load of pig poo poo nonsense. Our players do not want their hands held from theme-park style ride to theme-park style ride. Players want to feel that adventurous sense of wonder stepping out into unknown territory or going dark to avoid another player's scan. That is fun. That is Star Citizen. It is not currently what our focus is and that's stupid.

When we have ideas from some idiots I work with like putting exclamation identifiers over quest-giver's heads, I speak up. I am told by the care-bear committee that this is what other games are doing. I say that Star Citizen isn't other games. I say that is why we should focus on being different. The looks I get from these idiots. It's because they don't play the game. Their own game. They don't talk to the players. They don't really care because the hope is that after another eighteen months building their theme-park a big AAA shark is going to come along and nibble them up.

Why are we gambling on that as a team? Why did our focus shift so abruptly right before our never-ending lockdowns? Is Chris really saying that we need to focus more on questing and NPC interaction? I think that is pig poo poo because all I hear that from is the guys at Turbulent.

Turbulent, Turbulent, Turbulent. All I hear. They want this. Focus more on this. The max player count doesn't matter because this isn't a PvP game. What the gently caress? Not a PvP game when the core of everything that is Star Citizen is PvP. That's the game we are. Our soul. Now we are making a game for teenagers? We have a dedicated person testing new button schemes and layouts with console controllers to make it feel good on them. People here are looking past what made Star Citizen unique and great and are trying to make it palatable for the larger gaming community.

It is about money and new jobs. They want to release something and if that something is full-up of of dumb things they don't care. They want to pad their CV and get some cushy job where they can gently caress-up even more. You went from Star Citizen to Assassin's Creed! Wow. What a step up. Oh you want to get hired by EA, good for you. You get to move to Commiefornia! Great. All of this performative nonsense makes my blood boil.

They get the player counts okay enough to crew a ship and they want all sorts of things happening on that ship. All scripted. Nothing organic. The power coupler is bad you need an engineer to fix it. Oh no, an enemy scout! They are hailing us. They want to trade? Wow. How powerful. All completely fake and dumb. You might as well put us on the same quest treadmill as Guild Wars 2. Go here, do this. Unlock powerful weapon!

I keep going back and talking about crafting. They don't want to hear it. I say that crafting will bring the players together and make them fight and we need it in the game now. You can have battles over resources and the land those resources are on too. And that's how you should get powerful weapons and god-tier crafters will be known throughout the Verse. Not because some WoW rejected NPC hands it to you for giving him ten Xi'an butts.

We are abandoning our core concepts to whatever pig poo poo nonsense these idiots come up with and I'm sick of it.
the guy is a real gem obviously

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

TheAgent posted:

hello (finally)

Star Citizen: whatever pig poo poo nonsense these idiots come up with

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The hilarious part is that the PvE devs are completely correct because Star Citizen is incapable of being a PvP-focused game, which is already a very, very niche market with games that drop in population real fast once people get frustrated with the harsh reality compared to their fantasy headcanon game.

Imagine they did fix the player cap and release Star Citizen as a pure PvP game. New players would nope out quick as they are insta-killed by whales and hackers/exploiters/trolls. Whales would whine constantly when they get bested by hackers/exploiters/trolls. No one would be happy. Better to stay in this perpetual state of what-if, where the good game is always coming, and not already passed them by!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 24, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
PvP in the Pay For Ships game, great idea, brilliant.

Also lol that he associates PvE with teenagers when teens are the aggro weasels who have the temperament, time, and energy to waste on pvp

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Could it be that they are 10 years into the project, and they STILL don't have a design document?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Wait one of the devs wrote that embarrassing nerd rant? That's amazing

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

DaysBefore posted:

Wait one of the devs wrote that embarrassing nerd rant? That's amazing

To be fair TheAgents' hello posts are the Star Citizen equivalent of QAnon.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Popete posted:

"Where We Go Fud, We Go Smart"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
trust the plan (to buy more idrises)

.random
May 7, 2007

Is Commiefornia a thing? I am so out of touch with Q these days, I feel that emptiness in me bones.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Usually it is spelled with a 'K' for extra emphasis.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

TheAgent posted:

hello (finally)

I want to say this is fake, but there’s a certain breed of software dev that thinks and acts just like this. I want to believe.

Anyway, gonna go play an MMO where I have to talk to every random person that I see in hopes of getting a job.

Just like real life.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

I know well enough not to trust most of it given the track record of what's come out of them, but they are very funny to read.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

TheAgent posted:

hello (finally)

Forward this to B'Tak :v:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

hello (finally)

This rules because I can see what the guy is trying to say but he is absolutely totally 100% wrong lol. Every one of the people still paying CIG the big bucks to try and fart something out wants exactly those stupid scripted moments he's mad about more than they want to do a 50v50 battle over a rock or something. To even get where he's trying to go they'd need a meaningful crafting system and a zone control system and basebuilding and even then 95% of the posts on reddit will still be a screencap of a jeff-bezos-lookin-rear end commando holding a coffee cup and looking out a window at space with a title like "It's the little things that make this game more than a game" lol.

The funniest part of all of this is that CIG is not now and will never be capable of delivering that bespoke themepark experience because they already built what rickety foundation the game has in a way that makes it impossible.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, the big spenders want to lord over the peons in their space yachts and take screenshots of sunsets. They do not want to be challenged, especially in PvP. They paid too much money for that!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

TheAgent posted:

hello (finally)

Hey!

GW2 is a good game…

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I want to say this is fake, but there’s a certain breed of software dev that thinks and acts just like this. I want to believe.

There are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

TheAgent posted:

hello (finally)

yeah its pretty obvious fake.
I mean the guy talks about star citizen like it has somekind of vision its trying to achieve
and features it doesnt want to slap on itself, also no mocap mentions :colbert: