Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

a kitten posted:

They presumably aren't going supersonic. A few years back when Obama was in Seattle a doofus in a Cessna didn't get the memo about a no fly zone and they scrambled jets from Portland and people definitely noticed.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Fighters-scrambled-after-flight-restriction-890871.php

Heh this was a exactly what I was thinking about. I heard them and thought "I heard this noise before…" and realized it was from my times going to air shows where fighter jets would do a supersonic flyby from behind the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

a kitten posted:

They presumably aren't going supersonic. A few years back when Obama was in Seattle a doofus in a Cessna didn't get the memo about a no fly zone and they scrambled jets from Portland and people definitely noticed.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Fighters-scrambled-after-flight-restriction-890871.php

I was around the airbase when this happened and it was intense

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
A military plane got scrambled over southern England a couple of years ago and people heard the boom for dozens of miles around. It sounded like thunder but only one bang, instead of that roll you get. I was half asleep and it woke me all the way up and I think it was 50 miles away.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I can't recall the exact place, but there was a fly over to celebrate a new airport opening, and they broke the sound barrier and shattered pretty much every window in the joint, ended up delaying it from opening for something like 2 years? Turns out poo poo's loud.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sonic boom story: an f16 flew over us during basic training way up north in Norway in 2007, it was super cool.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I can't recall the exact place, but there was a fly over to celebrate a new airport opening, and they broke the sound barrier and shattered pretty much every window in the joint, ended up delaying it from opening for something like 2 years? Turns out poo poo's loud.

https://youtu.be/ZjQXn3z7kJw

A Mirage did this to the Brazilian Supreme Court a few years back.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

St_Ides posted:

More like lava jeto

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

St_Ides posted:

Quebrou, cara…

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They need to work on changing a jet's sonic boom to Airwolf's howl. Actually, they need to make Airwolf.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I remember hearing the sonic boom every day on Eastern Long Island back when I was young. It was definitely something you couldn’t miss.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Speaking of destroying windows…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p_jp1SqQVU
In the climax of Blown Away they used so much explosives that the concussion blew out windows across Boston Harbor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWtXeYyHU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I was 11 years old in class and a jet accidentally (?) did a boom a couple km out at sea,rattled every windows in the city

Was pretty cool

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Aeronautical Insanity thread loves talking about this stuff if any of you want to learn more than you would ever want to about planes and the idiots named Jerry that fly them.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Speaking of destroying windows…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p_jp1SqQVU
In the climax of Blown Away they used so much explosives that the concussion blew out windows across Boston Harbor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWtXeYyHU

They now work for the LAPD

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Baron von Eevl posted:

Generally you're not going to get sonic booms close to takeoffs or landings, you're going to get that after significant acceleration. With the concorde doing transatlantic flights it was less of an issue because it probably wouldn't get to that speed until they were over the ocean, but that seriously limits flightpaths to avoid populated areas terminals being near the coast. LA to parts of Asia or like Sydney would have probably worked.

Actually saw an interesting video on the whole thing a few months back, talked about Concorde and what they're trying to do in response to its issues to bring back supersonic flight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p0fRlCHYyg.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The last few pages are telling me it’s time I remake the PYF Airplane thread.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Mine is the one that used to deliver food directly to my mouth when I was a baby.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In The Green Knight the titular character's face briefly and subtly shifts to look like every other character Gawain meets in his quest.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Still thinking about The Green Knight. Think I might actually get a line from it on a tattoo, it hit me that hard.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 14:05 on Aug 23, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
in Natural Born Killers, whenever sometime is murdered, their face gets a slight digital distortion.

a couple of guys on my college hall told me about it. I thought they were just high, but they freeze-framed it for me. it's one of those things you can only notice when you're baked, apparently. weed Easter egg.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I remember seeing Natural Born Killers in the theater and the movie really hosed around with the surround sound. It was particularly utilized when we see things from Micky's point of view, with voices whispering out of one speaker.

If you have a chance to see this with a good surround system, I encourage it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The deleted sleepover scene, plus the courtroom scene, really kind of hosed me up when I was younger.

Micky and Mallory break into a house where a bunch of kids are having a slumber party, murder all but one (as they do), and then stab the survivor in the throat with a pencil while she's testifying in court.

:stare:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The deleted sleepover scene, plus the courtroom scene, really kind of hosed me up when I was younger.

Micky and Mallory break into a house where a bunch of kids are having a slumber party, murder all but one (as they do), and then stab the survivor in the throat with a pencil while she's testifying in court.

I remember seeing this movie advertised in comic books when I was a kid, too. Jesus.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Weird to see a string of posts about Natural Born Killers in the SUBTLE movie moments thread.

Because that film is about as subtle as a pipe bomb.

I liked it at the time but it doesn't really hold up for me.

Anyone here ever see Phantom of the Paradise?

All the doors in the titular theater are very very tiny because Paul Williams, who plays the villain, was like 5 feet tall or something; shorter than Prince. It's a nice touch in a great movie.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Apparently it's got subtle bits too, because I certainly didn't notice the distortion at the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

BiggerBoat posted:

Weird to see a string of posts about Natural Born Killers in the SUBTLE movie moments thread.

I liked it at the time but it doesn't really hold up for me.

All the doors in the titular theater are very very tiny because Paul Williams, who plays the villain, was like 5 feet tall or something; shorter than Prince. It's a nice touch in a great movie.

I love that Winslow's Phantom design is all bird imagery, it's a cool aesthetic. Because of his mask he even has to turn his head while writing music to see the pages out of his peripheral vision, like a bird would.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

BiggerBoat posted:

One of the only shirts with a logo I own is a Death Records one. Sadly on it's last legs and needing a replacement
DePalma's style enhanced the movie, especially the use of multicamera synchronized shots and angles., if it had been made by anyone else it wouldn't work

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

BiggerBoat posted:

Not a subtle movie moment, but just wanted to say how awesome Paul Williams is.

Motherfucker wrote Rainbow Connection for Kermit the frog, We've only just begun for the Carpenters, the theme to The Love Boat.

And also did the score for a weird little gangster film called Bugsy Malone starring Scott Baio and Jodie Foster where all the characters are 13 year olds, and instead of guns they have custard pies.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BrigadierSensible posted:

Not a subtle movie moment, but just wanted to say how awesome Paul Williams is.

Motherfucker wrote Rainbow Connection for Kermit the frog, We've only just begun for the Carpenters, the theme to The Love Boat.

And also did the score for a weird little gangster film called Bugsy Malone starring Scott Baio and Jodie Foster where all the characters are 13 year olds, and instead of guns they have custard pies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2PDPI1FUYA

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's not really subtle but there are a lot of narrative devices in BBC's Ghosts that I really like. For example, in a season 3 episode where Kitty the Georgian Aristocrat is finally coming to terms with the fact that her sister hated her, which she's been ignoring and refusing to face for centuries as she uses being a perpetual pollyanna as a defense mechanism - when she's still looking back nostalgically and making excuses for her bullshit, she's played by Alison's actress in a very theatrical style (and her father is played by the Army Captain in those same moments), because Kitty considers Alison to be like the sister she always wanted and vice versa. However, when she has to think about a particular incident for too long, she starts noticing the cracks in her sister's excuses, and suddenly the scene changes as she starts seeing her REAL sister and father, played by completely different actors now because she is finally starting to see their true faces. She only goes so far as to recognise her sister's cruelty outwardly in a few instances relating to a ball she was supposed to attend as she isn't ready to admit that ALL her interactions with her were toxic, but it's progress and the swapping actors is a neat way of showing how her perception is finally starting to alter.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

jazzyjay posted:

I remember from an Arnie biography I read like 20 years ago that he went on local TV when he was blowing up as a bodybuilder and, when asked what the secret to building big muscles was, said he ate lots of bull testicles.

I feel like bull testicles are one of those things where if the butcher sells them for ten cents they rot, but if they sell them at ten dollars they couldn't keep them in stock.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BrigadierSensible posted:

Paramount essentially buried it for the US market, it’s exceptionally well known in my age group in the UK. It’s great fun.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mescal posted:

I feel like bull testicles are one of those things where if the butcher sells them for ten cents they rot, but if they sell them at ten dollars they couldn't keep them in stock.

“Sometimes señor, the bull, he does not win”.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Torquemada posted:

Paramount essentially buried it for the US market, it’s exceptionally well known in my age group in the UK. It’s great fun.

Yeah that was a favourite here in Australia, most people I've spoken to remember seeing it.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

Mescal posted:

Quite some work to clean'm though (repeated soaking in salt water, peeling, more soaking). But they're tasty. I served'm to the future groom on a bachelor weekend, which is neither a movie moment, nor particularly subtle.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Torquemada posted:

I went to 3 different secondary schools, and was in 3 different productions of it.

I love that film!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BooDooBoo posted:

I went to 3 different secondary schools, and was in 3 different productions of it.

I love that film!

Kicked out of school after every premiere, eh?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Biplane posted:

Kicked out of school after every premiere, eh?

Not at all!

Only 2 kicked me out, the third was stuck with me.

All them fires was unrelated yer'onner!

BooDooBoo has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Aug 24, 2021

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Agricola Frigidus posted:

Quite some work to clean'm though (repeated soaking in salt water, peeling, more soaking). But they're tasty. I served'm to the future groom on a bachelor weekend, which is neither a movie moment, nor particularly subtle.

Nothing like thinking of peeled testicles to get the image of Scott Baio out of your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought you shuck 'em.