Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Trabant posted:

Germans being known by six different names by the rest of Europe is just fantastic:

Also, Germany is Germania in Italian, but Germans are tedeschi. Remember that If you ever go to Monaco di Baviera Munich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Also, Germany is Germania in Italian, but Germans are tedeschi. Remember that If you ever go to Monaco di Baviera Munich

This feels like an insult to both Munich and Monaco at the same time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Deutsch" itself comes from a word that means something like "of the people"

Deutschland - Land of the people.
Deutsche Sprache: Language of the people.

And so on.

A lot of names in Native American languages for their own tribe or culture is like this. A lot of the common names we use for tribes are exonyms, either from colonists or in a different native language of the people who first pointed them out to a colonist.

Navajo language word for their people is Diné, and the exonym Navajo that stuck was probably a word from their Pueblo neighbors meaning "the farmers in that valley"
Tohono O'odham is their own word for "desert people", and in pre-20th century sources they're usually referred to as Papago, anglicized from a neighboring O'odham tribe's word meaning "the bean eaters"
Comanche autonym is numunuu, also just "the people", and their exonym Comanche comes from a Ute word meaning "enemy"
One of my favorite Native American autonyms is the one the Pawnee use, chatiks si chatiks, or "men of men" :black101:

The exonyms given by other tribes are often pretty unflattering. "Bean eaters", "enemy", "farmers", and the frequent variations of "people who talk weird" isn't so bad. There are also names like "dog eaters" (Pawnee and Caddoan language name for Arapaho tribe), "throat cutters" (Pawnee, again, for Lakota people), and straight up "cannibals" for Carib (the Arawak were "the good ones").

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Technically, Hess was number 2 in the nazi party before he ran off to England, and after that it was Göring. But I have a hard time seeing either of those two coming out on top of the absolute clusterfuck that would be a succession crisis in nazi Germany. Maybe Göring, if he allied with Himmler and settled for being führer in name only.
Depending on timing, I could maybe see Canaris surviving the shootout long enough to surrender to the allies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

That's the same for Russia, nemtsy live in Germaniya.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Depending on timing, I could maybe see Canaris surviving the shootout long enough to surrender to the allies.

Dunno man, he didn't really have any of the nazi apparatchiks on his side. Maybe if it came down to a Valkyria-style coup...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Þjóðverji, the Icelandic term for a German, means roughly "Nationite".

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Aug 23, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Finnish word for Swedes means "Swedish" :eyepop:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The Canadian word for Americans means "assholes"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I thought it meant Russian.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's later.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

drat, that's hosed up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

canyoneer posted:

A lot of names in Native American languages for their own tribe or culture is like this. A lot of the common names we use for tribes are exonyms, either from colonists or in a different native language of the people who first pointed them out to a colonist.

Navajo language word for their people is Diné, and the exonym Navajo that stuck was probably a word from their Pueblo neighbors meaning "the farmers in that valley"

The Navajo, in turn, gave us “Anasazi”, meaning “enemy ancestors”.

The Hopi and other Puebloans are not great fans of this term.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's Russian that means Swedish

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

It's Russian that means Swedish

Oh yeah the English word for Russian means Swedish. I guess because the Swedes basically created and ran Russia for some time? Add that to their list of sins.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Finnish word for Finns means "swamp people".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

The Finnish word for Finns means "swamp people".

Lmao at this ignoramus who doesn't know swamps from bogs.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 11:53 on Aug 24, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bogs are the lovely versions of fens.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Bogs are the lovely versions of fens.

Fens are desparkled marshlands, get out of my face

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The Navajo, in turn, gave us “Anasazi”, meaning “enemy ancestors”.

The Hopi and other Puebloans are not great fans of this term.

When I first heard that you're not supposed to use "Eskimo" I assumed it was bastardized French or something and that's why they don't like it. Nope, it comes from the languages of their southern neighbors who have been oppressing them a lot longer than Europeans (the Inuit weren't living in an arctic wasteland just for funsies.)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao at this ignoramus who doesn't know swamps from bogs.

Perhaps wet people need to know the difference, I live in a dry place.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
those damp wet mossy swampy BASTARDS

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

Oh hey get hosed Ben Shapiro.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

verbal enema posted:

Finnish people

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In Ireland we have rude terms for people who live in marshy areas - we call them boghoppers and mucksavages.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pookah posted:

In Ireland we have rude terms for people who live in marshy areas - we call them boghoppers and mucksavages.

In Norway we call them danes.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zopotantor posted:

Ferengi has two hundred words for rain and no word for 'crisp'.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Traditional Finnish food: porridge made from berries you picked from the forest and/or swamp and whatever grains you may have.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That (+ some fish) was Tollund Man's last meal.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's pretty good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sadly the finns are so poor they cannot afford the fish

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Fish is plentiful from the 100 000 lakes, byproduct of all the bogs from glacial rebound, and the sea. It just isn't mixed into the porridge, at least not at school. :angel:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sadly the finns are so poor they cannot afford the fish

Poor, huh. *sells foreigners some wind*

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

canyoneer posted:

Tohono O'odham is their own word for "desert people", and in pre-20th century sources they're usually referred to as Papago, anglicized from a neighboring O'odham tribe's word meaning "the bean eaters"
Comanche autonym is numunuu, also just "the people", and their exonym Comanche comes from a Ute word meaning "enemy"
One of my favorite Native American autonyms is the one the Pawnee use, chatiks si chatiks, or "men of men" :black101:

The exonyms given by other tribes are often pretty unflattering. "Bean eaters", "enemy", "farmers", and the frequent variations of "people who talk weird" isn't so bad. There are also names like "dog eaters" (Pawnee and Caddoan language name for Arapaho tribe), "throat cutters" (Pawnee, again, for Lakota people), and straight up "cannibals" for Carib (the Arawak were "the good ones").

there's two lakes and a town in Western Canada called slave lake because the Cree called the people there slaves on account of how they raided and enslaved them all the time

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The US portion of the former New France is like 50% anglicized versions of francofied versions of indigenous words meaning "those fuckers over there"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jsoh posted:

there's two lakes and a town in Western Canada called slave lake because the Cree called the people there slaves on account of how they raided and enslaved them all the time

wtf apparently this is true

The word the Cree actually used was awahkaan. This doesn’t sound like “slave”, but that is its literal meaning. Europeans were like “You use the same word for people forced to work in bondage and your northern neighbors? Great idea. We will do the same in our language.”

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

When I first heard that you're not supposed to use "Eskimo" I assumed it was bastardized French or something and that's why they don't like it. Nope, it comes from the languages of their southern neighbors who have been oppressing them a lot longer than Europeans (the Inuit weren't living in an arctic wasteland just for funsies.)

This is almost right, except the Inuit are the invaders: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit#Post-contact_history

The history of the North (migratory invasion waves, pre-colonization contact with Vikings, a loving Iron meteor that crashed in the snow and bestowed the entire area with magic space metal that was harder than bone) is fascinating.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GolfHole posted:

a loving Iron meteor that crashed in the snow and bestowed the entire area with magic space metal that was harder than bone
Tutankhamun had an iron dagger that probably also came from a meteor! Meteoric iron is goddamn fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bog iron is cool, except that it comes from bogs, which we have established are bad.