Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Well that's a nice surprise for a change, I expected it to be a Taintrunner situation.

it's very funny to me that it turned out the situation was exactly as described

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
to be a mod nobody must want you to have the job and you must not want the job yourself, but also you need to be noticed somehow and be the sort of person that can get pressured into being volunteered

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the ideal mod is similar the ideal high school school class president

a member of the class who doesn't crave the position, is willing to do the necessary work to keep things going without going overboard, is sociable and respected, doesn't let it the position go to his head, and is not a pedophile

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

closing the thread for a few days won't change a thing

but closing the vtuber and the deviantart threads could help clean the air

and the people who were probated and banned for calling out creeps should be freed

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

pentyne posted:

cum was just straight up posting " I want to gently caress and cum inside the dog girl vtuber" and made little webcomics in support of it because it made people mad

dongicus was basically posting "oh, sweet, I'm gonna jerk off to her feet later" to mock the people dancing around that issue

both aren't exactly in the clear, especially the point was the posters were gross and out of line for being sexually creepy to the anime girls, and the response is to also be really gross and creepy as a "joke"

Oh I misjudged him, I assumed he trolled the vtuber thread just to creep on women / vtubers.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
no that was just the regular posts

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

skipmyseashells posted:

no that was just the regular posts

:drat:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

ArfJason posted:

My feedback is to please check posts like these before choosing a mod because even if he posted in jest, there's the whole "lmao mods are pedophiles" thing, and well, not a good look, lol.
lol

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Gotta love that Vtuber thread glossary: "Graduation: when a vtuber retires their character."

:yikes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Catpain Slack posted:

Gotta love that Vtuber thread glossary: "Graduation: when a vtuber retires their character."

Sweet Jesus

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for the record that isnt a school thing, it originates from jpop terminology, and its used for adult singers who quit big jpop groups too. the idea is that theyre 'graduating' to bigger and better things, rather than the reality of them quitting or getting fired. sometimes they do have future plans, sometimes they don't. it's a cynical marketing thing tho, i def. wont argue that point.

Endorph has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Aug 24, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Catpain Slack posted:

it's from the Japanese idol industry where "graduation" means the idols are leaving the group on relatively good terms, like to pursue a different career, or go solo, or something. Usually they become their own big time staged events, with unique merch and stuff to suck up all the extra otaku $$$ possible

it's just a way to avoid saying "fired" or "quit"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

for the record that isnt a school thing, it originates from jpop terminology, and its used for adult singers who quit big jpop groups too. the idea is that theyre 'graduating' to bigger and better things, rather than the reality of them quitting or getting fired. sometimes they do have future plans, sometimes they don't. it's a cynical marketing thing tho, i def. wont argue that point.

That's somewhat less creepy, I suppose. Although given what I've read about how JPop idols are treated...

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Aug 24, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's somewhat less creepy, I suppose. Although given what I've read about how JPop idols are treated.

yeah, it may be 'voluntary' in the sense that their options are "gently caress all these executives, directors, producers to stay relevant" or "quit and leave with whatever spare change we give you"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's somewhat less creepy, I suppose. Although given what I've read about how JPop idols are treated.
I mean, yeah. The weird idol angle hololive pushes with most of its vtubers is weird and seems fairly exploitative, most of the people in that thread complain about it whenever it comes up.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

pentyne posted:

it's from the Japanese idol industry where "graduation" means the idols are leaving the group on relatively good terms, like to pursue a different career, or go solo, or something. Usually they become their own big time staged events, with unique merch and stuff to suck up all the extra otaku $$$ possible

it's just a way to avoid saying "fired" or "quit"

i wonder where the idol groups got the terminology from

they probably came up with it, i guess

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

mods are asleep but you still shouldn't post small adult

I'm posting a small adult twitch streamer, and you can't stop me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H61P0XU_rJ8

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

I feel like that's led to a lot of the most tense mod appointments. Wasn't Matoi also not really an ADTRW regular but they needed a mod and I guess picked the obvious weeb who was modding BYOB at the time?

even by early BYOB 2.0 standards, Matoi was a humongous weirdo

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I'm posting a small adult twitch streamer, and you can't stop me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H61P0XU_rJ8

I cannot believe you've done this.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah but like, look at his replacement? Maybe a huge rant about how Japan is reeling from a tsunami wasn't the worst thing possible a mod could do lmao.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

to be a mod nobody must want you to have the job and you must not want the job yourself, but also you need to be noticed somehow and be the sort of person that can get pressured into being volunteered
i was offered the moderator spot for punchsport pagoda last summer and turned it down since i didn't have time to do the job and didnt care for the forum posting culture at the time (which was unfiltered posting from goons about how much they jack off to all the wrestlers), just wanted the mods that existed to just do the bare minimum of their jobs. since then they had two separate iks/mods flame out and i finally stepped up and offered to do the job at the beginning of this year and was asked to pick someone besides myself for it, so i think there is a weird gray area of You can be asked to do it, but you can't be willing to do it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

Yeah but like, look at his replacement? Maybe a huge rant about how Japan is reeling from a tsunami wasn't the worst thing possible a mod could do lmao.
it wasnt so much the huge rant (though it was very goofy) it was the probating anyone who criticized literally any anime for any reason

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Endorph posted:

it wasnt so much the huge rant (though it was very goofy) it was the probating anyone who criticized literally any anime for any reason

Ah I didn't know that, to be fair I only started reading ADTRW very recently, and was going entirely off of the escaflone clip.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

like a page later

Oh Snapple! posted:

I feel like multiple people going "his posting can be uncomfortable" should be cause for a new consensus

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
being a weirdo is fine, especially given what passes for normalcy

e: being an rear end in a top hat is of course weirdo agnostic

Tiler Kiwi has a new favorite as of 12:18 on Aug 24, 2021

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Matoi was generally hostile to the adtrw posters, insisted on keeping reports to a minimum - preferring PMs instead, and weirdly for the mod of the anime forum seemed to not actually like or watch any anime. I remember having to actively prove to him that a particular user was forumbanned and it was a weirdly hostile conversation with him via PMs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
No one hates anime more than anime fans

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I have nothing but a pure love for my hobbies

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Namtab posted:

I have nothing but a pure love for my hobbies

That's weird and unusual but more power to you.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Boba Pearl posted:

Oh I misjudged him, I assumed he trolled the vtuber thread just to creep on women / vtubers.

It wasn't ever in the vtuber thread is the most bizarre part.

Edit: At first, anyway.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Bear Enthusiast posted:

It wasn't ever in the vtuber thread is the most bizarre part.

Edit: At first, anyway.

I recall this being a point that the vtuber thread IK emphasized a lot

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm Jeffrey of YOSPOS and I spent my bitcoin fortune on buying this website instead of a yacht

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

UnfurledSails posted:

I recall this being a point that the vtuber thread IK emphasized a lot

That was me (and maybe also the IK, I dunno).
At least at this point probably a bazillion pages back when I mentioned cum getting banned for trolling the internet critic thread in RGD by describing how much he wants to gently caress a vtuber and even drawing comics and stuff. High effort poo poo, really. It was baffling why he'd do it there instead of in the vtuber threads, but apparently, it was all to troll Invictus.

I think cum has since actually taken off to one of the vtuber threads.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm Jeffrey of YOSPOS and I spent my bitcoin fortune on buying this website instead of a yacht

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, which'll be more entertaining in the long run, a crummy yacht or this website?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

. High effort poo poo, really. It was baffling why he'd do it there instead of in the vtuber threads, but apparently, it was all to troll Invictus.

A worthy objective

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you could always spend it on stuff that's less a pain to keep afloat

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
yatches have lots of hidden expenses and seraph reregs are already paying off the site so its a good investment imo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lucavi posted:

yatches have lots of hidden expenses and seraph reregs are already paying off the site so its a good investment imo

Also if you're trying to avoid associating with pedophiles a yacht is a lateral move at best compared to SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And yachts spend most of the year sitting around in the dock doing nothing but rack up incredible fees.