Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

So the meta for pulling (for f2p or low spender) is basically to horde until the unit you want gets a rate up banner, and then pull a bunch of 10x? I did a trial run and got Qiqi, but it sounds like getting a few solid 4s might be better than holding out for any of the 5s that are active currently.

There's 2 kinds of rolls. Blue rolls, which can only go on the non-rotating standard banner and newbie rolls, and purple rolls, which can only go on the current featured/weapon banners. Blue rolls you should spend as you get them, as their pools never really change meaningfully over time. Purple rolls are worth saving for the next banner maybe, though Sayu and Diona are good characters. You should probably not convert any gems into blue rolls. Turning stardust into 5 blue/5 purple rolls per month is fine though. Probably don't spend starglitter on rolls since you can buy 4*s outright with them.

Here's a tier list that conveys my personal thoughts on rerolling, given what units you can roll right now:

E: Ordered left to right within the tiers based on personal feelings.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'd say getting Keqing early on is great because while she's not "meta", she does more than sufficient damage, and more importantly her teleport is nice for exploration and some puzzles, which is only appreciable if you get her before you've exhausted all the exploration content (and don't have Venti/Kazuha/Xiao etc).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The meta for f2p has mostly been pull when an archon is up. Which will be next week.

Well either that or save for Ganyu. Which will be never.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That list is ridiculous, those characters up top only become so after dozens and dozens of hours and the ones in the middle are how you get there.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Sayu is the absolute best character you can pull on a new account and it isn’t close.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

BabyRyoga posted:

So the meta for pulling (for f2p or low spender) is basically to horde until the unit you want gets a rate up banner, and then pull a bunch of 10x? I did a trial run and got Qiqi, but it sounds like getting a few solid 4s might be better than holding out for any of the 5s that are active currently.

As a F2P, yes. There is a wish refund currency that allows you to buy up to 5 rainbow fates and 5 blue fates. Basically, the only time you would be rolling on the standard banner is via the 5 blue fates from the refund (or any other time you would get free blue fates from events or AR rewards). Never spend primogems buying blue fates. I even save blue fates occasionally since new 4* may be added to the pool that range from okay to good. Right now, Sayu is okay, but if you want to increase your chances of getting a Bennett or Xingqiu, the time would be now. Nonetheless, the current limited character banner is pretty bad. And F2P and low spenders should never roll on the weapon banner.

The best times to have rerolled would have been during Venti, Zhongli, Ganyu, and Kazuha banner. In its current state, support characters are the most flexible and useful, as supports are the true source of DPS damage in a team of 4. 3 out of the 4 aforementioned limited 5* I mentioned are primarily supports.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

AG3 posted:

I'd say getting Keqing early on is great because while she's not "meta", she does more than sufficient damage, and more importantly her teleport is nice for exploration and some puzzles, which is only appreciable if you get her before you've exhausted all the exploration content (and don't have Venti/Kazuha/Xiao etc).

Diluc would also like to make a case for moving up a tier...he can destroy all content leveling by himself, he's fire which is often needed in overland/puzzles and is the best element, he is tall so he moves and climbs fast, and he has a claymore for busting rocks. Serpent Spine and Prototype Animus are available almost right away for BP users / F2p users and work really well with him. He doesn't really need any special artifacts until high WL. He works well with a large variety of supports (ice, water, anemo)...

Oh and he can do this.....
https://i.imgur.com/kH4oR6S.mp4

Don't spend your glitter on shop characters unless it's a character or constellation you really want/need.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

kater posted:

That list is ridiculous, those characters up top only become so after dozens and dozens of hours and the ones in the middle are how you get there.

Ok that's fair that Mona and Xingqiu don't feel good until endgame with lots of ER and Sayu should be near the top for overworld QoL but I stand by the rest of this.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I didn;'t mean to be aggro is just like razor and ning and yanfei are like the bread and butter of graduating past traveler main. Like yeah you aren't wrong they suck butttttttt its hard to be like yo these dudes suck.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Araganzar posted:

Diluc would also like to make a case for moving up a tier...he can destroy all content leveling by himself, he's fire which is often needed in overland/puzzles and is the best element, he is tall so he moves and climbs fast, and he has a claymore for busting rocks. Serpent Spine and Prototype Animus are available almost right away for BP users / F2p users and work really well with him. He doesn't really need any special artifacts until high WL. He works well with a large variety of supports (ice, water, anemo)...

Yeah, I agree with this. Diluc is a powerhouse early in the game; I got him early and he absolutely demolished the content all the way up to the higher worldlevels, and his playstyle is as straight-forward as it can be.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 24, 2021

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yanfei and ning don't suck. they're actually both great once you've invested in them. but they aren't any better in the early/mid game than anything else. you could run amber and lisa for the whole story and it wouldn't make a difference. what you use at ar20 or w/e doesn't matter at all

like outside of the abyss, the difference between xiangling, yanfei, diluc, and hu tao can be summed up as "who cares"

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ultima66 posted:

There's 2 kinds of rolls. Blue rolls, which can only go on the non-rotating standard banner and newbie rolls, and purple rolls, which can only go on the current featured/weapon banners. Blue rolls you should spend as you get them, as their pools never really change meaningfully over time. Purple rolls are worth saving for the next banner maybe, though Sayu and Diona are good characters. You should probably not convert any gems into blue rolls. Turning stardust into 5 blue/5 purple rolls per month is fine though. Probably don't spend starglitter on rolls since you can buy 4*s outright with them.

Here's a tier list that conveys my personal thoughts on rerolling, given what units you can roll right now:

E: Ordered left to right within the tiers based on personal feelings.

Qiqi is four tiers too low, fite me.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

kater posted:

I didn;'t mean to be aggro is just like razor and ning and yanfei are like the bread and butter of graduating past traveler main. Like yeah you aren't wrong they suck butttttttt its hard to be like yo these dudes suck.

I think people are sleeping on traveler, especially the geo one. She has some very generous damage ratios on both her skill and ult, and her C1 is a great party buff with a rare extra crit rate source and interrupt resist.

I've been trying her out recently in soon to be raiden comps with quickswap keqing as a raiden stand-in and she is performing very well even in high abyss. Close to my try hard teams.

I've managed to completely trap maguu kenki inbetween geo constructs and everyone was taking their turn in the beatdown that followed.

I do agree on ning and yanfei, they start out strong and can carry you all the way into the endgame. Yenfei does have an issue that she is competing with like 6 other characters for the pyro carry spot and about 10 other who want XQ in their team.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

AG3 posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. Diluc is a powerhouse early in the game; I got him early and he absolutely demolished the content all the way up to the higher worldlevels, and his playstyle is as straight-forward as it can be.

Diluc remains consistently good basically forever under normal circumstances. He gets crept hard if you're whaling on Hu Tao (Homa and C1 Hu Tao are insane) but he's got that release character deal where the cons are bonuses. There's a time-gated argument to be made for a lot of event/abyss content where short damage windows are super important, but outside of that he is solid as hell.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Diluc is an absolute monster. Like Eula gets props for being really simple but Diluc is really simple and gets XQ so....

Diluc's problem for casual play is that his white damage is poo and his window is stuck behind his burst and that's annoying to use/earn. I mean its not its just annoying to let yourself use it.

I don't know why micromanaging a damage window like Childe's is much more fun to me than dealing with something like Diluc or Yoimiya's. Like it feels more about playing around it than it feels like a character being handicapped. Or builder stuff like Klee/Ning/Yanfei. They are just more fun imo.

LISA DOESNT COUNT FOR BUILDER. LISA IS OMITTED FROM FUN DISCUSSION.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Dilucs main drawback for me is the fact that he sets the grass on fire and burns himself to death unless I have Barbara in the team to put out the fire he set himself on, and 99% of the world in Genshin is covered in grass.

Mailer posted:

Diluc remains consistently good basically forever under normal circumstances. He gets crept hard if you're whaling on Hu Tao (Homa and C1 Hu Tao are insane) but he's got that release character deal where the cons are bonuses. There's a time-gated argument to be made for a lot of event/abyss content where short damage windows are super important, but outside of that he is solid as hell.

He absolutely is solid through and through, I just stopped using him because I got bored of his playstyle since he was my carry from like AR 15 to AR 50.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Prototype Amber Mona. Has anyone here done this? It seems really good so far.

I like Diluc (and generally get a full clear with him during each abyss rotation) but his damage just isn't there compared to my heavier hitters (Childe/Xiangling, Ayaka, and Ganyu). These are three of the strongest, if not the strongest, C0 5 stars in the game so it's not too surprising. It doesn't help that he's trapped on 4 crimson witch while everyone else has pieces I'm willing to farm more.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 24, 2021

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

Prototype Amber Mona. Has anyone here done this? It seems really good so far.

I like Diluc (and generally get a full clear with him during each abyss rotation) but his damage just isn't there compared to my heavier hitters (Childe/Xiangling, Ayaka, and Ganyu). These are three of the strongest, if not the strongest, C0 5 stars in the game so it's not too surprising. It doesn't help that he's trapped on 4 crimson witch while everyone else has pieces I'm willing to farm more.

I used to run that all the time back in november until I fixed her ER issues, the heal did feel great especially with bennet since It kept everyone toped up and you can run some silly low ER teams. Nowadays I can't run her without ttds and NO since having a 62% atk and 56% damage bonus ready for the next character feels so strong.

My strongest character is by far hu tao with ayaka in the second. Even with c0 and a deathmatch I can clear and abyss 12 side under 90 sec with just XQ as the sole support. I do hope we get a new pyro set, CW is cursed for me and I haven't even managed to farm a usable 2p.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Lucking into quite literally any of the available 5*s on a new account is worth keeping imo, yes even Qiqi. Early game heals before you have billions of food is really nice, and she can output a respectable amont of damage too so you aren't "wasting" a slot for "just a healer" like you would be with Barbara.

MHY should really have a permanent "trial" mode available for all of the standard banner characters by themselves in an arena so people can get a feel for their kits. I would have killed to pull Jean as a starter 5* for example, since I like her playstyle and she fills the roll of a healer + dps, and helps with anemo resonance for exploration.

But all in all it comes down to subjective feelings on how the characters play.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Araganzar posted:

Oh and he can do this.....
https://i.imgur.com/kH4oR6S.mp4

why is my damage so low, is it because he's only lvl 70? i don't get it

62/137.1 and 1740 attack with a Serpent Spine

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That's floor 11 which gives +75% pyro damage. Still rather high damage even considering that. My 80cr/120cd 80/90 8/8/8 2400 atk diluc with bennett burst critvapes for ~23k most of the time.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
The big numbers are also melts, not vapes and he probably has some EM on top of that. EM sand can be a damage upgrade on diluc and hu tao if you have none from substats or other sources.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i now believe Barbara is definitely better than Qiqi

stamina reduction, TT or PAmber holder, takes any crap hp artifacts while Qiqi competes for atk ones, easy to get better skill uptime with Barb

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Been playing a lot of Ghost of Tsushima lately and wishing Genshin had a universal parry (instead of just Beidou).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

dogsicle posted:

i now believe Barbara is definitely better than Qiqi

stamina reduction, TT or PAmber holder, takes any crap hp artifacts while Qiqi competes for atk ones, easy to get better skill uptime with Barb
It took six months, but the abyss 1.0/1.1 ptsd finally wore off for me. I love TT on her and don't like it on anyone else. Looking forward to the 2.1 abyss where you get rewarded for using her.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I will always be a big proponent of Prototype Amber being good enough to be an overworld healer by itself. If you have the energy regen to ult at every enemy camp while you're exploring you'll basically never have to teleport back to a statue or eat much food which can be extremely useful early game before you've gathered a huge stockpile of resources. This is especially true if you use Ningguang with it as she has a 40 energy burst which means that you can pretty easily burst twice at each enemy camp while exploring for the regen.

Kale
May 14, 2010

For the guy that was asking about characters and starting up, they just recently had an event that gave away Beidou as well if you could more or less complete it (which wasn't too hard as it was just kind of an obstacle course and some fights, but it's done now sadly. The reason I say this is they seem to like to have events at the start of new Battle Passes that can get you a new party member (or in the case of Barbara a costume) for doing them or if you already have them a constellation item for permanently powering them up or adding new perks to their talent kit. This was how I got Diona and Beidou.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
What artifact sets do I want for Yoimiya and the tiny wind child?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kale posted:

For the guy that was asking about characters and starting up, they just recently had an event that gave away Beidou as well if you could more or less complete it (which wasn't too hard as it was just kind of an obstacle course and some fights, but it's done now sadly. The reason I say this is they seem to like to have events at the start of new Battle Passes that can get you a new party member (or in the case of Barbara a costume) for doing them or if you already have them a constellation item for permanently powering them up or adding new perks to their talent kit. This was how I got Diona and Beidou.
Every patch after 1.0 has a limited time event that gives you a free 4 star character or a unique R5 4 star weapon. These alternate. 1.0 didnt have one, 1.1 had fischl, 1.2 had festering desire, 1.3 had choose-a-liyue, 1.4 had windblume ode, 1.5 had diona, 1.6 had dodoco tales, this patch was Beidou, next patch is the tuna. The Catch is different and will apparently take multiple patches of grind to max out (like the teapot).

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

inthesto posted:

What artifact sets do I want for Yoimiya and the tiny wind child?

Most people use 4p Shimenawa on Yoi and don't care to much about her ult. The alternatives are 4p CW or 2p CW + 2p glad/shim.

The anemo tiny child wants VV.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

has anyone gone as far as HoD Yoimiya

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I dunno if I'd use 4-piece Shimenawa on Yoimiya. I don't have her, but from what I've seen, her burst seems more useful/important to her kit than people first realized because off-field DPS like Xingqiu can trigger the mark's bonus damage. I'd say you either want 4-piece Crimson Witch for a vape comp, or 2-piece Crimson Witch with 2-piece Shimenawa or Glad if you're not relying on reactions.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

AG3 posted:

I'd say getting Keqing early on is great because while she's not "meta", she does more than sufficient damage

Keqing and a proto rancour carried me to AR 50

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

No Wave posted:

Every patch after 1.0 has a limited time event that gives you a free 4 star character or a unique R5 4 star weapon. These alternate. 1.0 didnt have one, 1.1 had fischl, 1.2 had festering desire, 1.3 had choose-a-liyue, 1.4 had windblume ode, 1.5 had diona, 1.6 had dodoco tales, this patch was Beidou, next patch is the tuna. The Catch is different and will apparently take multiple patches of grind to max out (like the teapot).

how did I not realize this before

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any 5* DPS will carry you to high AR because every single one of them is at least "really good" in the grand scheme of things. Even with pretty garbage artifacts, Diluc was able to hard-carry me all the way through the story up until AR 50-ish, when I got Ayaka and started rolling with her as my main instead. But Diluc would still be plenty good if I stuck with him (and got him some better artifacts), and so would Keqing or Yoimiya or any of the other less-fashionable DPS 5*s.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If I were starting today I would buy a mona + random 5 star account on ebay for 8 dollars. In general any 5 star feels good on a new account though because they feel expensive to look at in your character select screen.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Harrow posted:

I dunno if I'd use 4-piece Shimenawa on Yoimiya. I don't have her, but from what I've seen, her burst seems more useful/important to her kit than people first realized because off-field DPS like Xingqiu can trigger the mark's bonus damage. I'd say you either want 4-piece Crimson Witch for a vape comp, or 2-piece Crimson Witch with 2-piece Shimenawa or Glad if you're not relying on reactions.

Her burst damage is tiny compared to her normals since her BIS bows and her skill only buff her normals. She also gets very little use out of 4p CW since she only gets 1 stack of extra pyro damage on skill cast and she is bad at getting vapes/melts with both her normals and ult due to ICDs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No Wave posted:

That's floor 11 which gives +75% pyro damage. Still rather high damage even considering that. My 80cr/120cd 80/90 8/8/8 2400 atk diluc with bennett burst critvapes for ~23k most of the time.

Oh that explains it, I get maybe 10-14k vaporize crits with him fighting Kairagis now which is about Eula damage but way less consistent.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AParadox posted:

Her burst damage is tiny compared to her normals since her BIS bows and her skill only buff her normals. She also gets very little use out of 4p CW since she only gets 1 stack of extra pyro damage on skill cast and she is bad at getting vapes/melts with both her normals and ult due to ICDs.

I don't have her but I was just basing it on what ~*~theorycrafters~*~ were saying. The most common recommendation I saw from them was the 2-piece CW/2-piece Shimenawa or Glad because yeah, she doesn't really shine with vapes/melts but her burst is still worth using (I think to keep up some damage during her inevitable infusion downtime?).

But I'll defer to people who actually have her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Throwing away 1200% damage every 20 seconds for a +35% dmg bonus on normals seems bad. I'm biased though, I really think the shim effect is anti-fun and refuse to use it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 24, 2021