Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Reveilled posted:

To that end I'd highly recommend Tasting History with Max Miller, who does historical cookery videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6XvMKdD2tY

I was thinking of Ann Reardon, who does occasional historical express along with a bunch of other good stuff.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPT0YU_0VLHzdOujRzlwwm4lqzuCxAxYy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I would love to try old school Roman food. Iirc they did have some pizza-like food sans the tomato, which I imagine was mostly cheesy herby bread covered in fish sauce and the like. Kinda crazy that an ingredient not seen in Europe till the late 1400s has become so totally symbolic of a whole nation's food culture and most of the stuff from that place that came before has been forgotten.

I've been thinking of trying to recreate old British food, which mostly used parsnips where we'd now use potato. I actually think a shepherd's pie or something would work really well.

There's an historical cooking thread on these very forums!: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849384

Not the fastest moving but an interesting read.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I've been thinking of trying to recreate old British food, which mostly used parsnips where we'd now use potato. I actually think a shepherd's pie or something would work really well.

I don't think it'd cook up the same way potatoes do as a topping, but I suppose you could get away with chucking some extra butter and maybe a bit of cheese on top to get the right crust on it.

Also for my taste parsnips would be a bit too sweet for that, you'd be better off with turnip and/or swede, in fact the peppery flavour you get from swede would probably work really well but again i'm not sure if it would brown the right way.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

World's dying, cloud. But the wrestling, the wrestling is top notch.

well, most of it is, there's only been one exceptional Fed match this year and one of the folks involved in it is probably going to be released soon because he costs too much lmao

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Do not drink a third of a litre of cream for a meal.

I just purchased a third of a litre of extra thick double cream and 8 meringue shells for tea.
I guess as I'm eating the cream in meringue shells instead of drinking it, it's ok ;)

(I've lost a lot of weight - 14kg / 30lb - since May by avoiding sugar and wheat as much as possible and made the fatal error a couple of weeks ago of allowing them back into my diet along with coping with family emotional crisis last week and have been binging like crazy. Don't seem able to stop just now though I managed it on Sunday for one whole day!)
Today has to be my last binge day and back on the no-sugar no-wheat wagon tomorrow.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
28 fishfingers washed down with lashings of double cream

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

keep punching joe posted:

Roman times if you just mean flatbread with tomoatoes and herbs, 18th century if you mean what we would consider the modern pizza. First introduced to the British in the reign of Victoria.

https://twitter.com/Ludicrousscenes/status/880385037790851072/photo/1

UKMT: In the pizza shops rich and poor harmoniously congregate

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

28 fishfingers washed down with lashings of double cream

:discourse:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Comrade Fakename posted:

Agreed. I read an interview some years back with a guy who did ultramarathons on the winter in Alaska, and he said that the only way he could consume the 9000kcal+ a day he needed while still being able to carry all his food for a couple 100km was to just chug olive oil. He said that other high caloric density foods tended to be harder on his digestion. Even so he recommended working your way up to a full litre bottle cause it takes a little getting used to, both consuming and passing it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Reveilled posted:

To that end I'd highly recommend Tasting History with Max Miller, who does historical cookery videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6XvMKdD2tY

Also if you can stomach the sight of Giles Coren, Supersizers with him and Sue Perkins was amazing fun. If it helps, he spends quite a lot of time seeming moderately to extremely unhappy at the things he has to eat. I just wish he'd kept it up long enough to get gout.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"Hmm out of fish fingers. Ah I'll just drink this warm cream"

big scary monsters posted:

Even so he recommended working your way up to a full litre bottle cause it takes a little getting used to, both consuming and passing it.

I'd imagine the real knack is chugging olive oil and NOT passing it at high velocity within minutes

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I have done many a month on a ketoish diet, including when I was doing long distance triathlons. I had no problems drinking that much cream and then going for a 80k bike ride. It's not for everyone, but it does work. The alternate of a couple of balls of mozzarella for the same price is much fewer calories.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I also recommend Max Miller because he is very handsome and it's nice to see the funny handsome man talk about historical foods.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Did someone mention union disaffiliation from the Labour party?

https://twitter.com/BFAWUOfficial/status/1430180902370430977

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

sebzilla posted:

Also if you can stomach the sight of Giles Coren, Supersizers with him and Sue Perkins was amazing fun. If it helps, he spends quite a lot of time seeming moderately to extremely unhappy at the things he has to eat. I just wish he'd kept it up long enough to get gout.

Oh christ, I remember watching one of these where they did a 70s dinner party and my standout memory is 'allocate half a bottle of spirits per person for the first two hours, then another 1/2-1 bottle for every two hours after that', and speaking as someone who very much enjoys a drink I absolutely cannot imagine getting through 2-3 whole bottles of whisky by myself over a night on the lash. I'm convinced they must have got that wrong, or spirits were weaker back then or something, because just wow, how did anyone survive past 40.

big scary monsters posted:

Agreed. I read an interview some years back with a guy who did ultramarathons on the winter in Alaska, and he said that the only way he could consume the 9000kcal+ a day he needed while still being able to carry all his food for a couple 100km was to just chug olive oil. He said that other high caloric density foods tended to be harder on his digestion. Even so he recommended working your way up to a full litre bottle cause it takes a little getting used to, both consuming and passing it.

I watched a doc about Eddie Hall, the guy who deadlifted half a ton, and he also said he did this occasionally. To maintain that kind of muscle mass you need to be more or less eating anytime you're not training - I think he had about five full meals a day. Sometimes when he was behind on his calories or couldn't stomach a full meal or whatever he'd just do shots of oil to make up the difference.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 24, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Antarctic explorers eat sticks of butter.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
time for my seasonal "gently caress the entire concept of school uniforms"- It's seasonal in the regards that this is the season my bank account gets loving slapped yet again

I'm a few hundred quid shorter today to let academies provide protection rackets for their preferred suppliers of lovely loving uniform so my kids can "identify with the school while promoting a positive, purposeful atmosphere during the working day"

of course the other excuse for uniforms is that they somehow stop poorer kids getting picked on like the money couldn't have been spent otherwise on clothes that aren't directly out of a dickensian novel that serve no purpose other than going to school very uncomfortably in

over the last decade or so with two kids I'm looking at a few grand lost on this mandatory scam not to mention the stress in finding stuff that will suit kids with sensory issues and yet vaguely meet the uniform policy

Also, death to capitalism and I like some cream in my coffee I guess

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

DesperateDan posted:

time for my seasonal "gently caress the entire concept of school uniforms"- It's seasonal in the regards that this is the season my bank account gets loving slapped yet again

I'm a few hundred quid shorter today to let academies provide protection rackets for their preferred suppliers of lovely loving uniform so my kids can "identify with the school while promoting a positive, purposeful atmosphere during the working day"

of course the other excuse for uniforms is that they somehow stop poorer kids getting picked on like the money couldn't have been spent otherwise on clothes that aren't directly out of a dickensian novel that serve no purpose other than going to school very uncomfortably in

over the last decade or so with two kids I'm looking at a few grand lost on this mandatory scam not to mention the stress in finding stuff that will suit kids with sensory issues and yet vaguely meet the uniform policy

I won't bang on about my continental opinions on school uniforms, but if you're going to have them, they should be 100% free and provided for you, surely? That way they're all definitely identical, which at least pretends to help the picking-on issue, and it sounds much easier too.

Though the sensory issues thing would probably get a reaction of "hah that's not a thing" at certain academies/free schools, like that crazy one we were talking about other other week.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

DesperateDan posted:

I'm not quite sure what a school could do if you just refused to buy overpriced uniform? If it's a state school it's not like they can decide not to take a kid.* I don't actually hate the idea of uniforms themselves because tbh they do act as a leveller to some extent, but really the essentials (uniform, PE kit, basic stationary) should be provided by the school free of charge if they're going to make them compulsory.

* I have a suspicion many places would take the kid but make life miserable by not letting them out for breaks etc until the parent is forced to relent or, alternatively, have their child psychologically tortured on the daily. Delightful stuff.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 24, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

"Hmm out of fish fingers. Ah I'll just drink this warm cream"

I'd imagine the real knack is chugging olive oil and NOT passing it at high velocity within minutes

Yes I can't think the body would absorb all that and not just have it slide on through.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bobstar posted:

I won't bang on about my continental opinions on school uniforms, but if you're going to have them, they should be 100% free and provided for you, surely? That way they're all definitely identical, which at least pretends to help the picking-on issue, and it sounds much easier too.

Though the sensory issues thing would probably get a reaction of "hah that's not a thing" at certain academies/free schools, like that crazy one we were talking about other other week.

School uniforms I don't care about all that much tbh, but schools in Britain always seemed somewhat dystopian to me.

Just about everything about them really, from gender segregation, the bizarre boarding school fetish, some very odd ideas about discipline all to way to the fact that the best schools are completely unaffordable to most of the society.

Still very continental of me I know.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Schools are good where it matters: A good school in the area raises house prices.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

welp ok but they defintely ate bread

I think their version used lard as the topping.... just lard. :chef:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Did someone mention union disaffiliation from the Labour party?

https://twitter.com/BFAWUOfficial/status/1430180902370430977

Another friend of mine got expelled yesterday for being on a LAW zoom call in June.

I never would have thought the Bakers Union would be so left!

What the gently caress is Starmer up to pissing off the unions? 'Persuading' members to leave, expelling others for simply being on a zoom call and so on.

Re Turner / Graham - even though I voted Turner (on the basis that he was the 'preferred' leftie option and I didn't want to split the vote), I'm quite happy that Graham is looking on course to win. As long as it's not Coyne.

TwoShanks
Feb 27, 2007

Robots of the world unite

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't actually hate the idea of uniforms themselves because tbh they do act as a leveller to some extent

They absolutely do not act as a leveller, people still have different shoes, coats, trousers, etc. within the uniform policies and kids will seize on any difference. It's a scam to rip off parents and an attempt to indoctrinate kids to 'working practices'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

I think their version used lard as the topping.... just lard. :chef:

source: lard.net

quote:

(The LARD Network is one of the first websites on the Internet. It has been continuously online since 1994, before WIFI, before Google, before smartphones, maybe before you were born. Other sites come and go (mp3.com, hotbot, webvan, altavista, kozmo, excite, pets.com, napster, compusa, geocities, infospace, and many more...), but you can depend on the LARD Network to be around for your great grandchildren to enjoy.)

I used to read this site back in 99 when I was doing my phud so they're not lying.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 24, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What the gently caress is Starmer up to pissing off the unions? 'Persuading' members to leave, expelling others for simply being on a zoom call and so on.

Starmer wants Labour to be the PARTY OF BUSINESS*

*This is not happening

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bobstar posted:

Lol nope.

Academies has made this worse, since it's gone from "get some black trousers/skirts and a white shirt from any shop" to "you must buy the school tie and school jumper and school trousers from our special shop, aswell as our special branded school sports kit. Your childs failure to comply with the uniform policy is grounds for expulsion."

I think the concept of uniforms is fine (having a tatty uniform is still less of differentiator than turning up in too-small clothes your embarrassed by that mum bought 3 years ago and can't afford to replace) but they've been getting much more predentary over the last decade.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yup, I was around first-hand to watch it happened, when I started secondary school, the uniform was just black shoes, black trousers, white polo, plain black or maroon sweatshirt. Then in 3rd or 4th year it became white button-up shirt with the school tie, then 6th year, they added a mandatory school blazer too, that could only be bought directly from the school for 40 quid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones has died. Aged 80, so a good run, but it was COVID-related so we can blame the Tories.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His death will be added to the black book of communism by the end of the day.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I think the concept of uniforms is fine (having a tatty uniform is still less of differentiator than turning up in too-small clothes your embarrassed by that mum bought 3 years ago and can't afford to replace) but they've been getting much more predentary over the last decade.
You just get a too small uniform instead, maybe an old pattern if you're in school during one of the many uniform changes some new hire has as a bright idea, and then you still have too small clothes for when you're playing with your mates or for the many non-uniform days. More likely too, because some of that new clothes money will go on a uniform you can't wear anywhere else.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Lol nope.

Academies has made this worse, since it's gone from "get some black trousers/skirts and a white shirt from any shop" to "you must buy the school tie and school jumper and school trousers from our special shop, aswell as our special branded school sports kit. Your childs failure to comply with the uniform policy is grounds for expulsion."

Your first para is why I don't think uniforms are "fine" though. It's the same basic idea as creating lots of crimes, and then enforcing them on people you don't like.

And that mum could afford to buy some new clothes if not for the compulsory blazer... (not directed at you) we could also just have a society where nobody struggles to buy clothes for their kids :colbert:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Yeah gently caress uniforms if you need to go further than just the school section in George.

The only branded school uniform item I had was a tie (that was handed down from my sister).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

After years of an 'aertext' shirt in school colours, a pocket badge that could be sewn on any brand of black blazer and any supermarket black trousers or skirts, in the last couple of years our local (non-academy) comprehensive school has gone full-on 'business wear' suits for the sixth formers and the traditional blazer, shirt and tie look for the 11-16s.

I'm in two minds about uniform. It can act as a leveller and given kids have to have clothes anyway, helps to avoid the morning dressing tantrums, especially teenage girls. I remember at school when it was 'wear what you want' day in exchange for 50p for charity, one kid in our class still came in his school uniform but with an old pullover over the top (I realize now that his parents were completely skint but back then it made him the butt of pointed remarks - not from me I might add, I had my own issues with school shoes as I took size 9 UK (size 43 EU) by the time I was 13 and basically had to wear mens shoes to school instead of what other girls wore also making me the butt of remarks. Trainers were absolutely verboten. Black or brown sensible shoes onlly.

The other thing about no-uniform day was I recall boys in our class commenting 'have you noticed all the girls wear skinny-rib tops to show off their boobs'.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

well, most of it is, there's only been one exceptional Fed match this year and one of the folks involved in it is probably going to be released soon because he costs too much lmao

In fairness, WWE isn't wrestling so it doesn't count.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

they added a mandatory school blazer too, that could only be bought directly from the school for 40 quid.

And the supplier just happens to be run by the brother-in-law of the academy head.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Azza Bamboo posted:

at what point did they first put the tomato on the flatbread and put it in the oven with some cheese?

In relation to the pizza chat, I have discovered a historical source that puts something almost identical to pizza as being created in 52 BC.
Noted military historian, Larry Hamma, documented it and the summary can be read here.

http://random-happenstance.blogspot.com/2016/04/one-little-trick-for-conquering-gauls.html?m=1

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the brutush puhples wut ugg allowbance :catstare:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TwoShanks posted:

They absolutely do not act as a leveller, people still have different shoes, coats, trousers, etc. within the uniform policies and kids will seize on any difference. It's a scam to rip off parents and an attempt to indoctrinate kids to 'working practices'.

Let me tell you about schools that mandate fixed haircuts (crewcuts for guys, bobs for girls) and have student serial numbers stitched on uniforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ThomasPaine posted:

I watched a doc about Eddie Hall, the guy who deadlifted half a ton, and he also said he did this occasionally. To maintain that kind of muscle mass you need to be more or less eating anytime you're not training - I think he had about five full meals a day. Sometimes when he was behind on his calories or couldn't stomach a full meal or whatever he'd just do shots of oil to make up the difference.

You should look up Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's cheat day meals.

ThomasPaine posted:

I would love to try old school Roman food. Iirc they did have some pizza-like food sans the tomato, which I imagine was mostly cheesy herby bread covered in fish sauce and the like. Kinda crazy that an ingredient not seen in Europe till the late 1400s has become so totally symbolic of a whole nation's food culture and most of the stuff from that place that came before has been forgotten.

Yeah I've thought about this stuff quite a bit before. It's wild thinking with how ubiquitous tomatoes, chillies, potatoes, are in some cuisines (particularly tomatoes in Italian, chillies and tomatoes in Indian, chillies in Chinese/Asian foods) what the cuisine of those places was like before the "New World" foods were brought back.