Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
reaping/sowing time for all the idiot dems who voted for Scott last year because "he's been good on the pandemic" (not true)

https://twitter.com/SKrowinski/status/1430188342373720070

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shifty Pony posted:

that /r/nursing post linked before had a couple ICU nurses saying they get over 50% recovery for covid ECMO patients.

because they only give it to the healthiest possible patients, making that an absolute best-case rate.

ECMO looks very slightly preferable to death. Even if you survive ECMO, there's likely to be all sorts of complications and damage caused by the ECMO itself. I honestly hope that I make it through my entire lift without every needing anywhere near that level of medical intervention, and if I'm elderly and facing it, you had better believe my family or I are saying no.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Marlow posted:

Could you folks either reply or PM me with as much recent data about child covid hospitalizations, long covid in kids, and school related covid deaths? I can't believe that's a sentence I had to type buy hey open biden :crackping:

knock yourself out: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Ss6gA8ULL-2gxh4tWy12gFjTB078ba2KuxeqI9yz70/edit?usp=sharing

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Der Meister posted:

this is really good news that vaccines will help prevent any covid surge

Also Israel despite the promising start to the nationwide mass vaccination campaign is only at around 60% as of today since
many groups like Ultra-conservative are refusing to vaccinated.

Plus they went with Pfizer and also Pfizer's standard 21 day interval between shots.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

How many beds are there total in the hospitals and how many in ICUs? :thunk:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Extremely cursed Fayette County

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

lol at this headline in the local (AL) news:

quote:

Nursing shortage means more opportunities for nursing students

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is a fun website for checking local hospitals:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-hospitals-near-you.html

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

So Florida, 6% of the population, is responsible for 33% of the deaths. Cool.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

so did any goons unlock the secret series of words to say to a pediatrician to get their kid an off label Pfizer shot?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nodelphi posted:

The most critical consideration is the dosage, the phase 2/3 trials in kids that I am aware of are studying varying doses by age and a prescriber really needs that info before ignoring the AAP and FDA. That also means vaccine centers will need training to ensure safe administration of the proper dose.

All very doable and in relatively short order if we had a functional healthcare system but well… *gestures all around*

I have two kids in a phase 2/3 Pfizer trial. Dosage was determined during phase 1 in the trial series that we're participating in.

The dosage is lower than adult for age 5-12 and lower still for 18mo-5y, I can dig up specifics if you want but you're not going to find a doctor outside of a trial who will administer a nonstandard dose, that's just unfortunately not the way all of this seems to work. We were notified about the vaccine induced myocarditis as part of informed consent, but some of the context around that is that adolescent males have the highest all-cause myocarditis, so it's not a huge surprise that they're seeing the highest rate of vaccine-induced myocarditis. Guess what, it's still a really low rate overall, and less dangerous than covid even to these age groups.

Thesaurus posted:

so did any goons unlock the secret series of words to say to a pediatrician to get their kid an off label Pfizer shot?

Right now, I think that getting into a trial is the best shot you've got, but most of them seem done recruiting.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 24, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

I've heard that if you just get some Pony Paste it works pretty well. It's basically the Kid's Tylenol version of Ivermectin.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Thesaurus posted:

Probably going to be tough to find any considering the American Academy of Pediatrics made an official statement yesterday against giving off label vaccination to kids. This is despite the AAP also petitioning for EUA for the vaccine in children earlier this month.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Hope someone enjoys that half an ICU bed.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!
Maybe don't put every goddamn thing behind a paywall, nyt

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Thesaurus posted:

I would be truly surprised if, between chud pediatricians, careful pediatricians, chud pharmacists, careful pharmacists, rear end in a top hat pediatricians, and rear end in a top hat pharmacists, if anyone is getting off-label vaccinations for their kids.

If anything happens to a kid that can be even tangentially related to either the vaccine or COVID, that clinician just threw their entire career away.

I say this as someone who would happily get their kids an off-label shot, but who is also a clinician. There are some risks you just don't take as someone whose livelihood depends on the (lack of) goodwill of the state and of your patients.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

lemme check the closest hospital to me

oh

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

gators don't know it's just covid

(it's coovviiiidddd!!!!)

ah it's the little jokes the world keeps giving us that keep us all going.
lol all masks are the same and now this
would love to be the highest paid gov official while continuing to be wrong over and over and over and over without any consequences

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

I’m doing my part

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol reaching acceptable death ranges now

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
People who have access to concierge healthcare or have the right connections will have no problem getting off-label vaxes.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Chad Sexington posted:

Watch for Falling O2 Levels - 0.5x ICU beds

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i know the 'dying for red lobster/a kiss concert/a cruise' jokes are pithy and overdone but they're funny because it's actually loving happening lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

coworkers kid's teacher just got covid

they were in school three days

lol

lmao
trolley on schedule and full speed ahead

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

How do I get this to work without subscribing?

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
lmao in Austin, 5 out of 8 hospitals are at 100% and the other three are around 98%.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Kiddo went back to LAUSD last monday, KN95ed up.

Tests were wednesday - 2 day turnaround
On friday - 5 positive students, case rate 50/100k vs. 30/100k in the community
Yesterday -1 of those positive students was in kiddos class, they quarantined a 3 foot zone around the positive

This is fine.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Only 1 fatality on my cruise nbd

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Buffer posted:

Yesterday -1 of those positive students was in kiddos class, they quarantined a 3 foot zone around the positive

hahahahaha

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Buffer posted:

loving lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm back in that strange place where chit-chat has sorta dried up because everyone now falls into two categories:
  • They're taking the pandemic seriously and when you say "So what have you been up to?" the conversation is depressing.
  • They're not taking the pandemic seriously and when you say "So what have you been up to?" the conversation is horrifying.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Buffer posted:

This is fine.

Jokeworld

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

discoukulele posted:

lmao in Austin, 5 out of 8 hospitals are at 100% and the other three are around 98%.

let's just say that based on what Mrs pony is seeing on the feeds of her acquaintances that work in an Austin ICU you really really don't want to be in need of urgent medical care right now.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

skewetoo posted:

Only 1 fatality on my cruise nbd

When I was younger my grandmother took me on a cruise and someone died before we even left Seattle

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

jisforjosh posted:

my mom is a retired teacher and substitute teaches from time to time to earn some extra money. she was adamant that she wasn't going to sub this year due to delta. cue her old co-teacher and her husband going to a wedding in chicago before school started and now the husband popped positive so the wife has to quarantine and needs a substitute for the first week of school.

I got my mom a secureclick respirator but she doesn't want to scare the kids lol

crack pinging here a bit

Tell your mom about your nurse friend, Lovelyn, who volunteered at a childhood vaccine clinic wearing her elastomeric, and none of the kids were afraid (of the mask. They were very afraid of the needles). Most thought it was cool!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Hootington posted:

How do I get this to work without subscribing?

incognito window

or delete your cookies

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Lacrosse posted:

When I was younger my grandmother took me on a cruise and someone died before we even left Seattle

Cruise ships all have morgues because the majority of people who go on cruises are old as gently caress.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Buffer posted:

This is fine.

I posted before about my office celebrating going Open Biden with a staff breakfast and then having someone pop positive by lunch. They did contact tracing on everyone at the breakfast, found that nobody there was masked, but decided not to quarantine anybody because everyone was eating so it didn’t count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Spoondick posted:

a chud walks in to tractor supply and grabs a tube of ivermectin, the cashier says "why the long face?"