Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well thanks for all the advice everyone. I tried out a DRZ400 for size and I really liked it. Feels a lot different from my Ninja, contour-wise, but I think the height isn’t going to be a big deal. I can’t flat foot it but I’m not tip-toeing either, a nice comfortable median. I’m a fan of the ergos and the general size of the bike. Nice and lean, and the weight feels perfect. About on par with my old Ninja 250 but somehow *feels* lighter. Could be that there’s less fuel sloshing around the tank.

I would have liked to try an XT225 on for size too but any specimens local enough to kick the tires on came and went too quickly. Everything else was a 1.5+ hour drive which is a little ehh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So did you buy it or just sit on it??

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All will be revealed tomorrow when I’m not sore from manhandling large equipment into a truck.

In the meantime I’ll leave you all in suspense.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I know everyone is well aware of this, but used bike prices are loving crazy. And I don't mean just crazy expensive, I mean all over the map no rhyme or reason completely arbitrary crazy.
Set my filter to BC, $5000-8500.
2014 street triple, $7500. Ok...not an R. Lowest mileage.
2012 Yamaha fz8 (50th anniversary! Rare! L00K! (Ok yeah the paint job is pretty sweet), $6500. Ok. Middle mileage. Nobody knows what it is.
2017 Ducati Scrambler (800cc). $7000. Highest mileage, but 17k, it's not exactly worn out.
Like I get that these are all bikes that might compete with each other in a common model year, but $1000 spread across 5 years? Maybe it's just the price filter I set, but basically anything kind of interesting built from 2008 to 2018 is the same price.
Or you could splurge on a 2003 super blackbird for $7900 (might actually be worth close to that given how immaculate it is)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 24, 2021

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The dad-bikening is almost complete.

It looks like by end of next week I will be the new owner of a gently used '21 Gold Wing DCT, assuming the current owner can figure out email and some form of electronic payment for me to send him a deposit. This guy texted me twice after I talked to him on the phone, signing both texts, and not answering my replies.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

assuming the current owner can figure out email and some form of electronic payment for me to send him a deposit

This is even bigger old energy than buying a wing in the first place

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is even bigger old energy than buying a wing in the first place

apparently he is a septuagenarian high school chemistry teacher, so it's very on brand

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

It looks like by end of next week I will be the new owner of a gently used '21 Gold Wing DCT, assuming the current owner can figure out email and some form of electronic payment for me to send him a deposit. This guy texted me twice after I talked to him on the phone, signing both texts, and not answering my replies.

:(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I did the thing. Bike looked, sounded, and felt pretty good. There’s a speck of two of rust on the frame by the swingarm pivot but nothing worse than my Ninja 250 had. Came with awful wobbly tail tidy but also with the OEM tail so I’ll pop that on, along with a set of spare plastics. I’ll have to see what the safety standard is for rear tire tread on dualsport tires. I can see the rear maybe needing it, but I’ll just have the shop pop one on when I take it for safety certificate.

Otherwise looks pretty good. No sign of cracked or welded case covers, frame looked unmolested, looks straight etc. Brakes worked and have pads to spare. I might have to replace one of the cable stays on the front fork depending on how strict safety certification is, I might just play it safe anyway since it’s cracked at the bolt. I’m pretty excited to get it plated in the next week and go ripping around town.

It’s not pristine but that’s kind of what I was after. I can 100% say I am not afraid to dump this, pick it up, and ride away.

E: Ignore the unkempt garden and patio please :lol:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Very nice work!

Now ride the poo poo out of it!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I did the thing. Bike looked, sounded, and felt pretty good. There’s a speck of two of rust on the frame by the swingarm pivot but nothing worse than my Ninja 250 had. Came with awful wobbly tail tidy but also with the OEM tail so I’ll pop that on, along with a set of spare plastics. I’ll have to see what the safety standard is for rear tire tread on dualsport tires. I can see the rear maybe needing it, but I’ll just have the shop pop one on when I take it for safety certificate.

Otherwise looks pretty good. No sign of cracked or welded case covers, frame looked unmolested, looks straight etc. Brakes worked and have pads to spare. I might have to replace one of the cable stays on the front fork depending on how strict safety certification is, I might just play it safe anyway since it’s cracked at the bolt. I’m pretty excited to get it plated in the next week and go ripping around town.

It’s not pristine but that’s kind of what I was after. I can 100% say I am not afraid to dump this, pick it up, and ride away.

E: Ignore the unkempt garden and patio please :lol:

Don't forget: Lights and reflectors! These are the two most overlooked parts of the safety check. I'm pretty sure you can find a copy of all the things they look at online, but make sure you have all the reflectors, including the rear red one that is probably on the OEM tail (unless it fell/broke off) but definitely won't be on an aftermarket tail tidy. You can just get a cheap stick on one if you haven't got one, and any decent shop that does safeties will stick one on for you if it's the only thing keeping it from passing. Check the high beam works, check all other light functions, including parking light if there is one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! The OEM tail has the reflectors. I’ll steal whatever the front needs from my Ninja so should be good there. I’ll for sure do some googling ahead of time but this is a good reminder :D

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Wobbly and soon to be missing parts are a design feature of thumpers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What kind of rack is that? Looks very industrial. Nice work!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

What kind of rack is that? Looks very industrial. Nice work!

It was the PO's "my buddy with a welder" special. As long as it fits on the OEM tail plastics I'm going to keep it (and I don't see why it wouldn't, it attaches to the subframe).

This is probably the bike I should have started on in the first place lol

The only things I'm adding immediately one day one are the case covers to keep everything free of holes since it's entirely my intention to drop this bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Siiiiiick, you'll love it!! They are amazing bikes, super capable, and tons of fun.

I know I post this like every other day, but some day I'm going to own a 3rd DRZ.

They're so good

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
blue loctite those header heat shield bolts if you like having them

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Razzled posted:

blue loctite those header heat shield bolts if you like having them

They're so rusted in place I'm not sure I could remove them if I tried :cool:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Martytoof posted:

They're so rusted in place I'm not sure I could remove them if I tried :cool:

The orange-brown loctite.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I love my drz and I love yours too. all drzs are beautiful. I might actually keep this thing forever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But Not Tonight posted:

I love my drz and I love yours too. all drzs are beautiful. I might actually keep this thing forever.

Unlike the Ninja 250 I actually don't see myself ever getting rid of this. Famous last words, I know, but this totally has that vibe of "that bike in your garage that is there forever". It seems to be able to do it all competently :cool:

I took it out for a little rip in the neighborhood and the height definitely takes a little getting used to when stopping, just because I"m not used to tip-toeing or leaning at stops, but other than that it's a blast. Still a little tentative while I work out how everything feels but it's a keeper.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just wait until you accidentally discover wheelies :tviv:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just wait until you accidentally discover wheelies :tviv:

I didn't realize until someone told me but I apparently did an endo during the emergency braking portion of my road test.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I did too and my instructor was all "sweet endo man, but ease up a little"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I did too and my instructor was all "sweet endo man, but ease up a little"

Mine just said "now THAT'S threshold braking!" And I was really confused until I reached all the other students staring wide eyed at me asking if I was okay.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

Is 2021 when they introduced the number of incredibly useful updates, like taller trunk lid and Android auto? There's a whole list of updates, but those two are the ones I remember.

Actually feels really good to fill out a survey in 2018 and see your exact suggestions being implemented few years down the road. Same with the Africa twin

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Is 2021 when they introduced the number of incredibly useful updates, like taller trunk lid and Android auto? There's a whole list of updates, but those two are the ones I remember.

Actually feels really good to fill out a survey in 2018 and see your exact suggestions being implemented few years down the road. Same with the Africa twin

Yeah, the '21s got a bigger trunk that will actually fit two full-face helmets. Android Auto also showed up but can be put on any '18+ model via a firmware update. Apparently the built-in nav still sucks, but if I can use Google Maps I don't really give a poo poo since I can download maps to the phone.

The way Honda did Android Auto/Apple CarPlay on these bikes requires you to pair a bluetooth headset/comms unit with the bike. If your comms battery dies, AA/CP shut down. I assume it's so you can feed voice commands to the phone vs. tapping away at it while you're riding. However, I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, and I'm pretty sure it won't work very well. Android Auto doesn't really work that well when I have my Cardo headset connected directly to the phone, so I'm not expecting miracles with a third device in the mix.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's good to know about the reflash. I guess the taller lid can be added to an older model as well.

People will scoff at the automatic transmission, but I find it to be very well suited for the application. The different ride modes are actually different. The manual shift mode is actually manual. Honda did a good job with it.

The number of safety features are mind-blowing. Take your hand off the throttle mid-corner and the bike is going to leave enough throttle for you to finish the maneuver. That's just one of the few things I've discovered while beating on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

The number of safety features are mind-blowing. Take your hand off the throttle mid-corner and the bike is going to leave enough throttle for you to finish the maneuver. That's just one of the few things I've discovered while beating on it.

That sounds terrifying and/or faulty

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

That sounds terrifying and/or faulty
It's part of the DCT system, there's an IMU in the bike that also delays shifting while leaned over. If you put any pressure on the actual brakes, it stops. In a bike that heavy/with that engine? Seems like a great idea.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Of modern electronic aids, Hill Hold is the one that I personally do not have any use for.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BabelFish posted:

It's part of the DCT system, there's an IMU in the bike that also delays shifting while leaned over. If you put any pressure on the actual brakes, it stops. In a bike that heavy/with that engine? Seems like a great idea.

I struggle to understand why anyone would want a dct bike, the idea of a throttle that ignores inputs and does it's own thing is definitely not for me.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I struggle to understand why anyone would want a dct bike, the idea of a throttle that ignores inputs and does it's own thing is definitely not for me.

I'm buying it strictly because it's the only used '21 I can find quasi-locally. I didn't HATE the DCT when I test rode it, we'll see if that stays true after living with it for a while.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sure the throttle feels fine. It is a Honda after all

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Try one, you may like it (he says, having never tried one... yet... till 2 Wheels Edinburgh finally get a goldwing demo in again...).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The throttle input has nothing to do with the type of transmission the bike has. Are you confused by modern technology in general?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
now boys, play nice

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

The throttle input has nothing to do with the type of transmission the bike has. Are you confused by modern technology in general?

Nitrox posted:

BabelFish posted:

:shrug:

Maybe Honda can make an automatic post reader next idk

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 28, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Since I'm too lazy to go pull actual schematics or whatever, I'm just relaying personal riding experience. And to clarify, both the automatic and manual transmission goldwings have some form of cornering throttle/brake management. It's probably different with the DCT, but still there nevertheless.

I've also ridden both variants of Africa Twin, and it feels very similar.

I do find the economy mode slightly terrifying. You let go of the throttle expecting engine brake, like you get in sport mode, and it just keeps on rolling. Like a broken throttle cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
a dct rides like an electric. turn it on, twist throttle.

my husband has a dct africa twin. I don't personally care for it. he his reason for getting one is it acts like a rekluse and prevents it from stalling in rock gardens.