Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

draft everyone, send them to afghanistan to evacuate some military subcontractors, only fly out the vaccinated troops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

this is my vax. there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

they're right

quote:

What is being said in the West is full of contradictions. On the one hand, they claim that the Delta variant spreads quite quickly. This is supposed to be the reason to adopt stricter prevention and control measures. However, it has been used by the West to explain why China should relax its anti-epidemic measures and learn to co-exist with the virus. In a country as populous as China is, especially with high population densities in many places, the serious consequences of co-existing with the virus are unimaginable.

On the other hand, some Western media have argued that China's strict anti-epidemic measures are "costly," and "the impact on work and life for millions of people is prompting warnings." US news agency Associated Press quoted the words of Xi Chen, a health economist at the Yale School of Public Health, as saying that, "even if you can lock down all the regions in China, people might still die, and more might die due to hunger or loss of jobs." In conclusion, China needs to learn how to "allow the virus to exist."

However, China succeeded in largely containing the epidemic last year within just a few months, becoming the first country in the world to resume normal social life and economic activities. And when localized outbreaks of COVID-19 sporadically occurred in China, China sped up vaccinations while continuing the strict prevention and control measures. China's containment of the epidemic is way better than countries like the US and the UK. So is the degree of normalization for our social and economic development.

The argument of "co-existing with the virus" is obviously not convincing to China. It is like advising a top student to learn from the methodology of students that have worse grades. Such a suggestion actually has a deeper meaning.

Some Western media were anxious to see the remarkable results of China's fight against the epidemic: With no new case at all, Chinese society returned to normal, and the economy also recovered quickly. When localized outbreaks took place in China, they immediately suggested China to "co-exist with the virus," hoping that the Delta variant could continue to wreak havoc here. In their wishful thinking, it will be even better if there are mass infections and even out-of-control outbreaks.

In addition to giving China "advice" on how to deal with the virus, some in the West, on the other hand, keep smearing and attacking China over the tracing of virus origins. Their all-around attacks on China aim to end our previous success controlling this unpredictable plague.

Waving the banner of caring for China, the West, in fact, wants China to be in deep trouble. If COVID-19 causes more serious economic and social problems, the West can regain the advantage it has lost during its failed containment of the epidemic. China's path to contain COVID-19 hasn't followed the Western model. Yet it has managed to succeed. As successful as we are in terms of dealing with the epidemic, we should not let Western media fool us.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So my parents live with me in my house, and my mom got a breakthrough case diagnosed Monday. I'm going for my own tonight, but my work was asking "Is your mother isolating?" Yeah we're observing 6 feet and masking in the house I own. Christ. I decided to use my vacation time early.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Well gently caress. One of the interns found my lunch spot. There I am sitting there enjoying my solitude by the lake and I see someone approaching. Thankfully he complied when I asked him to not come any closer (about 30 feet at that point).

He asked me about the fish and left. I don't want to have to take a mask with me for lunch. This is the exact thing I have nightmares about :negative:

Simsandwich
Feb 15, 2007
Scotland opened nightclubs past 2 weeks and predictably my IG has been full of people my age announcing they have Covid. 4000 new cases today and its looking like we might get clubs closed again due to the new cases being in the 18-25 bracket. I just want to hear pounding techno again!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
numbers look good today (for covid)

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Buffer posted:

Kiddo went back to LAUSD last monday, KN95ed up.

Tests were wednesday - 2 day turnaround
On friday - 5 positive students, case rate 50/100k vs. 30/100k in the community
Yesterday -1 of those positive students was in kiddos class, they quarantined a 3 foot zone around the positive

This is fine.

Wait, they kept the positive kid in school? My kid's LAUSD school had two cases and both were sent home for the 10 days quarantine.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Atrocious Joe posted:

they're right

i have a friend who can't see his parents in Taiwan because a 3-week quarantine is incompatible with his career, and i genuinely don't know if those quarantines will ever end

maybe non-shithole countries will move to shorter quarantines with many tests, eventually

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

No fancy tableau page but here's my crude attempt to plot the correspondance between NYC-specfic case numbers, hospitalizations and deaths:

Even in highly vaccinated NYC where reasonable people take the pandemic seriously it looks like the number of reported cases is still highly correlated with the number of hospitalizations with a 7-day lag. The number of reported deaths is still very low and the reporting lag is impacting the last few points, so it's not entirely clear yet if CFR is the same as before or lower due to widespread vaccination.

Always worth emphasizing that the current wave is happening in the middle of summer.

edit: added better image

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 24, 2021

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

they're right

Yeah the whole "live with virus argument" is hilariously dumb.

I know even in FL with the wild west Open Up ASAP environment I still see piles of new businesses closing each month in the area.

China's approach was taking aggressive consistent actions early on, which while painful in the short run actually solves the problem of preventing exponential growth from taking off.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

caelxii posted:

Wait, they kept the positive kid in school? My kid's LAUSD school had two cases and both were sent home for the 10 days quarantine.

Are they providing any kind of home schooling for you? We don't go back until next week but I've been trying to follow how CA has been going.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Simsandwich posted:

Scotland opened nightclubs past 2 weeks and predictably my IG has been full of people my age announcing they have Covid. 4000 new cases today and its looking like we might get clubs closed again due to the new cases being in the 18-25 bracket. I just want to hear pounding techno again!

lookit this guy living in a place that shuts poo poo down sometimes

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Stevie Lee posted:

numbers look good today (for covid)

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

covidactnow.org

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pennsylvania still has its finger in the dike

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26

covidactnow.org

noooo! my county finally fell to the surrounding reds.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

*dusty Springfield voice*

you won’t stop it
wishin and a prayin
thinkin and a hopin

cuz wishin, and hopin
and thinkin, and prayin
watching, while Fauci's
just counting them staaaacks

this won’t get your titers to maaaax

so if you’re thinkin about not, killing, kiiiiiiiiids

all you gotta do is hold em
and dose em, and keep em, away
Yeah just pay em to stay the gently caress home
and beat coviiiiiid

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

euphronius posted:

Pennsylvania still has its finger in the dike

lawrence popping hot north of my family in beaver.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Mississippi god drat

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ah yes this is what we need. More chapo adjecnt people becoming addicted to ketamin before being outed as pedophiles.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rauros posted:

lawrence popping hot north of my family in beaver.

I’m calling that Ohio

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
What was the most reliable rapid test currently? My wife's grandpa just went to the hospital for what is most likely the last time and I think I'm going to have to juggle a funeral and some family stuff in the next week or two and I'll end up on goondivorce.xls if I try to completely stop my wife from going down to see her grandma and the funeral but she would be totally on board with taking a rapid and a PCR test before coming back home and interacting with our newborn again.

These any good?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
47% false negatives iirc

e: i went to my grandma's burial but we didn't have a real funeral

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 24, 2021

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Chad Sexington posted:

I can't believe this is not satire. All the way down to the fish in the thumbnail, which one has to conclude is what is inserted in the rear end of the patient.

That's called a dojo loach. I have a really big one in my aquarium that farts a lot.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

NYC data also still consistent with an overall CFR of 1.4%, hospitalization rate of ~8% and hospitalization death rate of ~20%. This seems very similar to last year. Guessing the main impact of the vaccines is to drastically increase the number of asymptomatic and unreported cases. Once a case is detected and tested the likelihood of hospitalization and death is about the same pre-vaccine. Possibly because mostly unvaccinated people are still getting hospitalized and dying.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
My office announced Friday that if the average cases/100k across the 4 counties where our staff live hits 25 then we'll go back to full WFH. It was sitting at about 21 and not moving much, so I think they thought there'd be time for them to prep and/or walk back the announcement if needed. Yesterday it went up by .3, but as of today it's at 33 so the next email from the execs should be interesting.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1430163022467715076?s=20
https://twitter.com/sapinker/status/1428383290600288256?s=20

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Flo-Rida COVID variant

The whole ER lookin at her
She hit the floor, she hit the floor

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Crunchy Black posted:

when I saw Dragoncon is still happening I was very crack ping

the big issue right now is people are so desperate for cons to go to that the few that are happening are seeing surges of registration beyond any planning and venues are having a hard time accommodating this, including but not limited to lines snaking around convention space for hours on end, areas just outside of con spaces becoming mask break zones becuase of lax requirements by the hotels, people getting real upset at any vax/mask requirements, holding up lines further. shits a mess rn.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Joementum posted:

i assume this who "short delta wave" thing comes from the UK, where it turned out to not really be true

anyway, school starts this week, so good luck!

https://twitter.com/ValleyReporter/status/1430212333155069955

ah yes I can see where cases peaked 2 weeks ago

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

good thing covid ended the other day when there was a dip in cases and hospitalizations or this would be concerning.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

(For reference, Bethel Park is a near suburb chock full of chuds who fled the Monongahela Valley when black people started moving there. It's a little piece of rural PA right next to the city.)

Bethel park votes to pass mask mandates at 9:51 pm, the night before the first day of school (self.pittsburgh)
submitted 15 hours ago * by Dobross744772
Bethel park had voted to keep masks optional twice prior, and recently passed mandates for 2021.
As it stands now, the issue is that, allegheny co. Requires any child tested positive has to quarantine for 2 weeks.
And any unmasked student in the area, has to quarantine as well.
Their was, of course, lead to grown parents throwing a temper tantrums. And as usual, there was the standard terms and acusations such as "Nazi", and other rhetoric often quoted on social media. Also the terms "sham", "scamdemic", and many conspiracy theories were used to justify themselves.
Bethel Park was the last district in the south hills to mandate
I for one cant wait to move to siberia.

]ahyoss01 -71 points 14 hours ago
75 million kids. 4.4 million have gotten covid. <400 have died. All in 18 months. There’s virtually no risk to kids. Every single adult in America can get a vaccine at any time and more than 1 adults out of 2 HAS gotten the vaccine. When does it ever end?

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Apr 7, 2003

First place those numbers cover an 18 month period, not 12. If you annualized childhood covid deaths it’s <230. To contextualize that, 900 kids (age 0-20) drown accidentally a year yet schools have swim teams. 2,700 kids (0-20) die in car accidents yet we bus them every day.
Secondly, the delta variant is more contagious but not more deadly or harmful.
Close to 170MM adults have gotten vaccinated. Again more than 1 out of 2. It’s free and widely available to adults. The vast majority of adults are not at risk of anything serious from covid. That is the truth, that’s what the sat shows.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26

covidactnow.org

the Great Lakes aren’t enough to protect lower Michigan peninsula. need to build a southern wall

Apr 7, 2003

No, it's not.
Pre-COVID, the idea of forcing someone to wear a mask would blatantly be a violation of that's person's rights. To argue otherwise is delusional.
Now, for the safety of others, we may violate some rights in order to preserve the rights of others.
One could hypothetically use this to justify stop and frisk, claiming that while it violates the rights of few, it could prevent the detriment to the majority and be the decision for the greater good of society.
And that's exactly what this policy is, we are willing to violate the rights of some to preserve the rights of the majority.
I honestly think that's a legitimate discussion to have and could be the right deicsion, but to think this is some below average intelligence argument is naive and idiotic.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

so many idiots think they are opposing big pharma by saying "COVID is endemic" or "zero COVID is impossible"

that's what Pharma wants, they get to sell boosters then!

Chinese style eradication was possible and was the best option for the working class. Now we all get cheese lung and brain fog so applebees stays open and phizer stock goes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Stevie Lee posted:

47% false negatives iirc

e: i went to my grandma's burial but we didn't have a real funeral

Trying to get her to go to the burial but not attend the funeral is going to be my argument. Dunno if I'll win. Throughout the whole last year we've generally been on the same page with COVID but anything involving her family gets dicey.