Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequ
Sep 5, 2009

Mulderman posted:

If you didn't grow up watching anime in realmedia format downloaded using fileshare programs so you could watch badly translated DBZ and Trigun in sub 480P, you have not watched anime.

If you didn’t grow up reading Ranma ½ completely out of order because other people are already borrowing volumes 1, 2, 4, 7, 9, 10, 11 and 13 from the library then you have not read manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Shout out to Megavideo with it's 30min lockout after 72 mins of watching. You were a anime-loving teen's best friend.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Draga posted:

Shout out to Megavideo with it's 30min lockout after 72 mins of watching. You were a anime-loving teen's best friend.

Yooooo this and rapidvideo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Thats how i watched scrubs lol

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mulderman posted:

If you didn't grow up watching anime in realmedia format downloaded using fileshare programs so you could watch badly translated DBZ and Trigun in sub 480P, you have not watched anime.
the first time i did something like this was downloading the ending to big o s2 before it aired in america and to this day, i regret not carrying it forward to my newer computers before the hard drive crashed

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Post one and i will im not kidding

Post a character from hamtaro and i will get it

this was a picture of boss but it wont load, sorry. but you should get boss. https://hero.fandom.com/wiki/Boss?file=Boss.gif

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

trucutru posted:

My internet connection was too crappy to download whole episodes. So for me it was real media anime openings.

Years later and I can still hear Koi wa Thrill Shock Suspense in my head

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ibblebibble posted:

One of the first proper anime I watched as a kid was Ergo Proxy. Made it about halfway through and got bored.
first anime i watched as a kid was project a-ko and it placed the nb seed in my brain

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I remember in '99-2000 having The International Channel and it aired unsubbed JP DBZ that was way far ahead of where the english dub was at.

I watched Trunks try to beat up Perfect Cell way before anyone I knew and it owned

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

and then they officially referenced those mass screenings in the broly movie, lol

It was badass

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Paper Lion posted:

this was a picture of boss but it wont load, sorry. but you should get boss. https://hero.fandom.com/wiki/Boss?file=Boss.gif

Im on my phone how big is this is this like a mega resolution pic that would cover my back? Cuz if not this is going on my torso right by The Gross Pig

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i cant remember the first anime i stole on livewire, it might have been some dbz or something. i do remember the first video i ever watched on youtube in 2005 at the school's computer lab was the rock lee vs kimimaro fight from naruto where he does drunken boxing.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Im on my phone how big is this is this like a mega resolution pic that would cover my back? Cuz if not this is going on my torso right by The Gross Pig

yeah you could probably yakuza that image all over your back, its pretty big

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

One of the first proper anime I watched as a kid was Ergo Proxy. Made it about halfway through and got bored.

First anime I ever watched was Vampire Hunter D (which gave me sort of a skewed view of what anime was like for a little while).

The first proper series I watched was Slayers which immediately corrected that notion

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Paper Lion posted:

yeah you could probably yakuza that image all over your back, its pretty big

Whoah what if i had Boss done all yakuza tattoo style?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mulderman posted:

Robotech from the satellite feed of a TV channel in DFW back in the early 80s. Anime has been legally available in the US for a while but until recently it was a pretty expensive hobby. Eva wasn't the only 90s show being sold on VHS for $25 each with two episodes per tape and I still have a huge tub full as proof of my poor spending habits back then (and no VHS player to play them any more).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wonder if I still have my burned DVD with Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei from 2008 on it around

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i still have the really old gurren lagann goonsubs where they actually translated kaminas thing as kick reason to the curb and do the impossible. no idea why no one else subbed the show with such gusto. also the original airing on sci fi of the dub where after the final giga drill breaker and cut to black for commercial, the subway sandwich emerged from the darkness. i dont think lagann sandwich is uploaded anywhere anymore

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I watched Galaxy Angel in 3 parts on Youtube

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

I watched Galaxy Angel in 3 parts on Youtube

Only OGs remember watching stuff in parts on Youtube

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

Only OGs remember watching stuff in parts on Youtube

Personally a bigger fan of the 10/10/4 split than 8/8/8

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing were probably my first entry into Anime or at least recognizing it as a distinct medium from other cartoons like Gargoyles.

I think mainstream acceptance of Anime as an artistic medium took a long time; but any nerd group in high school pretty much everyone watched anime. As for online my experience was mainly at being at one specific forum for a while and when I sought out more places to discuss anime dedicated anime forums had already come to exist.

There's something like three distinct phases of anime's introduction and acceptance in the West; the second one being when it began to heavily overlap with gaming culture with the Halo anime compilation movie being the culmination of and we're at like the end of or past the third age of anime acceptance in which I think its been firmly accepted by critics as a worthwhile medium of expression with anime series not just movies being capable of expressing themes and ideas and people in most avenues for that sort of effortful look into art will take it seriously.

The first age being whenever conventions start being a thing that attract large crowds and anime clubs have spread through high school and college campuses.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
This conversation got me digging through my closet, and behold.

Shoutout to that dude in my highschool class that spent hours of his time burning CDs full of DivX and Real Media files for me because his family had high speed internet and I was still on 56k dialup.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

RubberLuffy posted:

I remember in '99-2000 having The International Channel and it aired unsubbed JP DBZ that was way far ahead of where the english dub was at.

I watched Trunks try to beat up Perfect Cell way before anyone I knew and it owned

same. watching vegito happen way before anyone else knew while not understanding a bit of it ruled.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willo567 posted:

This might be getting into deep territory, but is there a reason SA in the past used to be so vehemently against anime culture, and mocked anyone who enjoyed it?

Probably doesn't help adtrw started off intensely sketchy with people talking about lolis and w.e.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mentat Radnor posted:

This conversation got me digging through my closet, and behold.

Shoutout to that dude in my highschool class that spent hours of his time burning CDs full of DivX and Real Media files for me because his family had high speed internet and I was still on 56k dialup.

A true hero

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

divx... talk to me when you've put a bunch of anime episodes in videocd format because you didn't have a DVD-R drive

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've never seen Evangelion is it any good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nyoro posted:

yeah its pretty good, fun stylish visuals and some decent character stuff. the rebuild movies are alright too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nyoro posted:

Yeah it owns

Tequ
Sep 5, 2009
It's decent.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Eevanjaleeon

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

verbal enema posted:

Eevanjaleeon

evan.gif-ion

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Evan J. Leon

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Nyoro posted:

The visuals are fantastic, and the worldbuilding / setting is interesting. Some characters I enjoyed a lot, while some just irked me. I thought the plot was nonsense, and I hated the ending (as in, End of Eva ending), but I understand I'm in the minority here as far as anime fans go. Regardless, it was and is hugely popular to the point where it has become iconic of the anime medium in general, so I guess there's also value in that respect if you want to get the constant references that are made to it in anime discussions and in other works.

I haven't seen any of the new movies yet, but I'll watch them eventually for the sick animation alone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

The visuals are fantastic, and the worldbuilding / setting is interesting. Some characters I enjoyed a lot, while some just irked me. I thought the plot was nonsense, and I hated the ending (as in, End of Eva ending), but I understand I'm in the minority here as far as anime fans go. Regardless, it was and is hugely popular to the point where it has become iconic of the anime medium in general, so I guess there's also value in that respect if you want to get the constant references that are made to it in anime discussions and in other works.

I haven't seen any of the new movies yet, but I'll watch them eventually for the sick animation alone.
if you disliked the end of eva ending youll probably like how the rebuilds end

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Endorph posted:

That's good to hear!

I mean I liked the spectacle of it all, but when the credits rolled I was just kinda :hmmno: "welp"

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Endorph posted:

This maybe a hugely stupid question, but is the latest the last one? As in the ending?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nyoro posted:

i still don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lor posted:

This maybe a hugely stupid question, but is the latest the last one? As in the ending?
rebuild 3 + 1 is the ending of the rebuild movies (and for the time being, eva as a franchise,) yeah