Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Butterfly Valley posted:

As someone who only relatively recently got interested in PC building again I have no idea why there's even the concept of tribalism in the hobby. They're electronic parts, not sports teams, and there's numerous data available to make objective judgments about the quality of a certain product.

It's just not my scene, I enjoy video games but hardware is something that, for whatever reason, makes my eyes glaze over when I try to learn about it. That, and not keeping up with the development cycles of these things makes inertia difficult to steer away from.

I see that 5600 is six core, whats the AMD 8 core option, and is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I just finished my new build with a Corsair 5000D and I have to say, it's a real return to form for Corsair. It was an absolutely joy to work with. Cabling routing options are fantastic, built in channels on the back and lots of velcro straps included. The optional power supply spacer and cable hider are nice but I removed them to make life easier, I don't care about seeing some cables. I went with the white case variant and they did a great job with the paint, high quality.

Pretty happy with the IO options on top, though the shared 3.5mm jack is somewhat weird but I guess everything has gone USB or wireless these days. Loved the removable magnetic fan filters. The case also has a removable top and front cover, I opted to keep the front on for aesthetics since my cooling solution is more than adequate. The motherboard side of the case also has a removable inner hinged door to keep the cables and everything flush so you're not struggling to close the case panel. Very cool thing I hadn't seen before. The case is filled with nice little touches like that, I think they literally followed the list of complaints GamersNexus had with the 4000 series because it seems like every singe one was resolved.

My only dislike is the stock fans, they only give you 2x120mm fans (1 front, 1 rear) and the fans themselves are loud and mediocre. It seems really cheap to only give you 2 fans with a case this expensive too. I replaced them with 3x 120mm Noctuas up front and 1 in the back. At the top I mounted the radiator and 2x140mm fans that came with the NZXT Kraken X63. My first AIO and its goofy looking but I can't argue with the performance, I can't believe how low the temps are under full sustained load. I appreciated the included fan controller as well, though at this price point its probably standard with most cases.

I had used Fractal Design cases for the past 3 systems but this is definitely my favorite case I've done a build in so far, so many little QOL improvements and tweaks. Anyways highly recommended.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Target Practice posted:

It's just not my scene, I enjoy video games but hardware is something that, for whatever reason, makes my eyes glaze over when I try to learn about it. That, and not keeping up with the development cycles of these things makes inertia difficult to steer away from.

for gaming the difference is miniscule right now, if you want to future proof or have a productivity task there's the 5700X or 5800X. but i'll be honest my expectation would be a 5600X will probably be fine for gaming at least an upgrade cycle, particularly if you're not targeting extremely high framerates.

e: wait did I make up the 5700X? there's definitely a 5800X

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 23, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
turns out i am confused because they were heavily rumoured but delayed due to the semiconductor shortage. yeah you could upgrade to the 5800X but unless you have money to burn there are better upgrades right now for the money. or you could go last gen 3700X or something, i've seen that going on promo a lot. not as fast but more cores and definitely cheaper.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Target Practice posted:

Oh yeah sorry I wasn't specifically targeting you, it's obviously fine to not keep yourself in the loop because it's a constantly changing field and it makes sense you go with what you remember being good last time. SA is mostly fine for it but you can find ridiculous tribalism elsewhere on the Internet.

As the other poster said the 5800x is the 8 core option but the RRP is 50% higher than the 5600x for very little/no perceptible gain in most gaming scenarios. Having said that in the EU I've seen it available for €380, down from €450, at which price I think it's more justifiable.

For the current generation of games though the 5600x will be more than enough - the PS5 and Xbox Series whatever are both based on a previous gen 8 core processor which is functionally locked to 7 cores anyway, and the 3700x as the nearest PC equivalent CPU performs much worse than the 5600x despite the two extra cores due to the generational improvement in the architecture.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Baller, thanks everyone for helping clear that up. Gonna build around a 5600.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

CoolCab posted:

the biggest thing is don't assume the thermals will be adequate. it's honestly closer to industry standard for them to be terrible. so, either do some research on what's considered good and/or be ready to upgrade the cooler and possibly add more casefans.

Thanks for the warning. I want this computer to last, so that's definitely a concern.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I wish the screenshots of its internals weren't so drat dark. I generally don't like compact/mATX cases with a solid PSU shroud on the bottom because it gives the GPU so little room to breathe. But at $1500, that's a more reasonable deal than what you may find anywhere else.

However, another option is going the DIY route and buying a card off ebay. The amazon listing you linked has a much higher price than what you can find the 6700 XT for on ebay, which goes for around $750 to $800. Depending on how big the Best Buy drop is next week, that may also cause a temporary deflationary effect on ebay. It did the last time there was a big drop. So my recommendation would be to wait at least until a few days after the upcoming in-store-only Best Buy drop while checking ebay pricing for the 6700 XT, 3060 Ti, and 3070 before making a decision on whether to go prebuilt or DIY. And if nothing else, it may be better to spend $50 to $100 more so you can use the parts you want and build it in the way that makes the most sense for you.

I agree, the value looks good on paper but the pictures are vague, and I don't really want a cramped case. Thanks for suggesting ebay and a couple alternative cards, that gives me another option to investigate.

Right now, I'm leaning towards paying a bit more to build it the way I want. I'll look at my options over the coming week's GPU sales, and see what looks best.

Thanks for the replies, it was helpful to structure my thoughts and get some feedback.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah like if you're willing to wait it out on a stock discord or something i got a (partner, +100 quid on FE's RRP but better cooling) card this january, despite the odds. just takes patience, time and luck.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Andenno posted:

Thanks for the warning. I want this computer to last, so that's definitely a concern.

I agree, the value looks good on paper but the pictures are vague, and I don't really want a cramped case. Thanks for suggesting ebay and a couple alternative cards, that gives me another option to investigate.

Right now, I'm leaning towards paying a bit more to build it the way I want. I'll look at my options over the coming week's GPU sales, and see what looks best.

Thanks for the replies, it was helpful to structure my thoughts and get some feedback.

Micro center’s return policy is quite good. You could buy it and return it if it’s poo poo.

I also think those are built in store by the store
Employees, so there may be some variation.

I would say that looks like a fantastic deal considering the market right now, and I’d pull the trigger. At worst, you’re looking at a bad case and bad cooler, which would easily be resolved with $200, which would still make this a great deal.

Even if the PSU is poo poo, you could limp along with it and sell it off.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Looking at picking up a Cooler Master ARBG controller to better sync up my case and cpu fans and make em do fancy light tricks. Anyone have any experience using this that can recommend/dissuade?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Andenno posted:

Yeah, I never thought I'd be considering pre-builts, but you may be right.

I was looking at this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/637962/powerspec-g510-gaming-pc

Similar specs, $200 cheaper. I'm near a Microcenter, so it should be easy to get it serviced.

I like building my own computer. I worry about the build quality and upgradeability of a pre-built. But this market is nuts. And at least if the pre-built fails, I should be able to take it back. I am really struggling with this decision.

What's up, me from like 2 weeks ago :wave: On thread recs I picked up one of these https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali524/p/N82E16883360129 and spent this last weekend messing around with it while house/dog sitting. Only major hardware issue was an incompletely seated CPU heatsink bracket, so with any prebuilt I definitely recommend taking it apart at least enough to check that everything is seated correctly and completely. Other than that performance was good. I haven't set up a thermal monitor yet but I need to since the front of the case is solid so I don't know how much good the one fan up there is really doing, but the rest of the case is pretty empty so at least nothing is too crowded. The advice I got here was to look for a prebuilt with decent components aside from the GPU, that way in a year or whenever this madness ends you can drop a beefier card in there and keep on truckin' with the other parts you already have.

I did some probably horribly unscientific benchmarking with DOOM 2016 before I uninstalled Windows, and with stock everything and just Steam and the game installed, at 1440 and everything set to ULTRA, I calculated the following:
Average FPS over 44 seconds:
OpenGL: 104.8 fps
Vulkan: 122.8 fps

CPU: Intel Core i5 11th Gen 11400F 2.60GHz (4.40GHz Boost) 6-Core 12-Thread
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB (Gigabyte)
Motherboard: B560M mATX Motherboard (WIFI)
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz (2x8GB)
SSD: 512GB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

As someone who only relatively recently got interested in PC building again I have no idea why there's even the concept of tribalism in the hobby. They're electronic parts, not sports teams, and there's numerous data available to make objective judgments about the quality of a certain product.

I don't think it's tribalism so much as 'I had a chevy once that kept breaking down so I'll never own one again' kind of thing. I had a couple AMD GPUs and catalyst control center was so frustrating to me that I won't touch ATI cards even 10 years later. I went for a gigabyte mobo for my 9900k when I was building that system up and I'm super disappointed with how lovely it is (BIOS randomly changes between two available BIOS, you can't change it by hand from one to the other, the eufi is unintuitive, the built-in sound card firmware is horrible, etc).

On the other side, I've RMA'd an EVGA product and had a great experience, they answer the phone when I call and I get to speak to a real human who seems to have every idea what they're talking about, I've had nothing but great experiences with EVGA so I have some degree of brand loyalty to them - they've earned it from me until they show me that something has changed.

AMD had straight up worse offerings for enthusiasts for a really long time so I think it's reasonable that people who don't spend a lot of time keeping up with stuff are reluctant to give them a shot.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

CoolCab posted:

i mean with that said complain actively, try to speak to a manager, say how you'll be adding this experience to trustpilot, etc. you might get a sympathetic ear, stranger things have happened. but my assumption would be that's not a legal obligation.

I rang back and got offered a 6600xt but managed to talk my way up to a 6700xt due to the terrible performance of the 6600 on old motherboards. Then I had to ring back and ask for a more expensive model of 6700 because the initial one was 5mm too wide to fit in my case. I've had ups and downs with Overclockers before but they were very sympathetic to and willing to engage with the size constraints I had. I've got a couple of days now to decide if I want to use the 6700xt or keep it sealed in box and try for a 3080 FE or see if I can find a 6800 reference card anywhere.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeep posted:

I rang back and got offered a 6600xt but managed to talk my way up to a 6700xt due to the terrible performance of the 6600 on old motherboards. Then I had to ring back and ask for a more expensive model of 6700 because the initial one was 5mm too wide to fit in my case. I've had ups and downs with Overclockers before but they were very sympathetic to and willing to engage with the size constraints I had. I've got a couple of days now to decide if I want to use the 6700xt or keep it sealed in box and try for a 3080 FE or see if I can find a 6800 reference card anywhere.

Congrats, I think that’s the best result you could have hoped for.

The market is so bonkers you could probably use the card, and as long as you get a FE or something at MSRP you could probably break even or so.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Considering a pre-built. I'm in Europe, and in my area, not a massive choice if you want 3000 series cards. There is a large retailer here (similar to Microcenter) that sometimes makes a batch of computers from regular parts. Now they have a few in stock that are basically Gigabyte machines. The only thing about this particular computer that makes me wince is the PSU. I think this is the one that was exploding...? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xts3pvbcFos But this is being built by a reputable company with decent warranties, etc....

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8/4.7GHz
MB: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO V2, ATX
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER, 8GB
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
SSD: Gigabyte 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S - Black
Case: Gigabyte AORUS C300 Glass -ATX
PSU: Gigabyte P750GM 750W, 80 Plus Gold

I won't bother mentioning the price, because it is bonkers here. This is for gaming (in particular the upcoming BF game), but also photo and light video editing.

Almost wondering if worth getting, but swapping out the PSU...

Anybody have experience with the case?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does anyone know what an “equivalent” PC a PS5 would be? I’m just trying to get an idea of hardware capabilities.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's kind of apples to oranges, but something around a 2070 with better ray tracing and different memory.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Adding to that, the CPU is a downclocked 3700.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Butterfly Valley posted:

A decent amount of it is because AMD CPUs were not worth buying for nearly a decade. They kept getting slaughtered by Intel by any reasonable metric.

It's only the past two generations, zen2/zen3 (3000/5000 series) that they've made a ridiculous comeback. It's great for consumers overall because Intel can't sandbag, and it's great for consumers because AMD were willing to do some pretty pro-consumer stuff. Although they seem more than willing to not take a pro-consumer approach now that they're arguably leading the market.

The GPU market has generally been far more complicated and specific to individual needs & budget.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 24, 2021

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Quick and slightly weird question:

Suppose I want 128-256 gb of ram for bioinformatics purposes but for weird toy projects I don't necessarily want to run on work machinery. (Strange languages, bad installers, stuff I don't want my employers to get rights to, whatever)

This seems like a good use case for a used server from ebay, but I've looked around and a lot of the stuff that's coming up and is cheap is TRULY prehistoric. like 2xxx-generation xeon prehistoric.

Does anyone know how I should narrow my search down to find something like a used server blade, or maybe a used work station that has a) a shitload of ram b) on a budget, c) with a chip socket that I could drop a replacement CPU into so that my actual number crunching performance isn't a total joke?

Particular models or families of server would be helpful, but general advice like "look for things with this generation of this socket" would be appreciated. (like which type of socket would have been put on relatively old machines, but has compatibility with reasonably new chips?)

(Or tell me if this is a bad approach to the whole problem)

Thanks thread!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'd ask the homelab thread.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://youtu.be/7JmPUr-BeEM

I can’t loving wait for gigabyte’s next statement.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
my GTX 1070 just died on me, how hosed am i / what's the least painful way to get a replacement with similar performance?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I'd ask the homelab thread.

Oops good call, I didn't even know that was a thing. Thank you!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

my GTX 1070 just died on me, how hosed am i / what's the least painful way to get a replacement with similar performance?

$300 on eBay

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does anyone know what an “equivalent” PC a PS5 would be? I’m just trying to get an idea of hardware capabilities.

To :bandwagon: : somewhere around a Ryzen 3700 with 16GB of ram, an nvme SSD, and a 3060/2070.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Have literally never bought a desktop PC in my life - currently using a cast-off Dell workstation my old job was throwing out when they made me redundant, with a free old GPU a mate gave me. I think my current specs are an i7-4xxx of some sort, 16gb of RAM, and a Radeon R9 200-series, complete with one whole fan for airflow.

Use case: Mainly it would be nice to be able to play a modern game, something like Cyberpunk or Sekiro. I'm currently playing FFXIV on the lowest settings with a few more things turned down/off and still chug occasionally. I also do some freelance video editing and photography stuff and it would be nice for that to not suck too. I'm almost 100% sure that regardless of what I buy it'll do significantly better than my current machine, but I guess I'm just after "bang for buck". Does this seem reasonable?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£243.79)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£65.17)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£93.48)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£89.80)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£89.80)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£163.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£47.04)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card (£573.48)
Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£95.98)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£110.00)
Case Fan: Corsair LL120 63 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack (£51.95)
Total: £1623.49

I was tempted to go for the 3070 but for £300 more? Not really convinced tbh.

If I wanted to set this case up to have positive pressure, would I just have the rear fan slot as exhaust and the others (3 front, 2 top) as intake? Case airflow is new to me, and while having 3-in-3-out seemed like the best idea, after reading the OP I'm not sure.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I would say hold off on the GPU to be honest, that's nearly £200 over RRP for the 3060Ti and you're going to see better results dropping one of those memory kits and using the money instead to bump up the other kit to 3600 CL16 and using the R9 until you can get a 3070. If you're not doing workstation stuff there isn't much reason right now to get 32gb right out the gate and you can always add it later if you find yourself needing it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
don't pay 1600 quid for that. here

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ryzen-3600-5600x-rtx3070-3070ti-1tb-16gb-gaming-systems-ps116098-at-awd-it-3781527

that's got a 3070ti for cheaper, although you'll probably want to upgrade some bits and pieces (PSU and ram at least) and buy your storage separately.

Surprise T Rex posted:

I was tempted to go for the 3070 but for £300 more? Not really convinced tbh.

If I wanted to set this case up to have positive pressure, would I just have the rear fan slot as exhaust and the others (3 front, 2 top) as intake? Case airflow is new to me, and while having 3-in-3-out seemed like the best idea, after reading the OP I'm not sure.

you want the most GPU you can afford for games, it will have a considerably more significant impact and probably requiring upgrading before anything else in there. you have a CPU task so it's not wasted but for games that's the logic.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So I can either afford a CPU/Motherboard OR a GPU upgrade and not entirely certain what the best CPU to go for is

CPU: Intel 7700K
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming K5 ATX LGA1151
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
PSU: Gigabyte P750GM 750W, 80 Plus Gold

Running a pair of 1080 monitors at 60 hz, and a Rift S VR headset. VR is mostly ok but a bit choppy from time to time. Aside from gaming, I do a lot of photo editting in Lightroom, which can occasionally be a little to slow to respond and can chug on exporting.

If it's the GPU i upgrade i'm probbaly heading for a 3070ti (as i can actually see some availability), as for the CPU/Mobo am i right to be thinking i should be looking to a 5900x?
From what i can gather id benefit from faster ram than what i have but i'll be having to make do with what i have for the time being, as theres only so much i can afford to juice up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CoolCab posted:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ryzen-3600-5600x-rtx3070-3070ti-1tb-16gb-gaming-systems-ps116098-at-awd-it-3781527

that's got a 3070ti for cheaper, although you'll probably want to upgrade some bits and pieces (PSU and ram at least) and buy your storage separately.

you want the most GPU you can afford for games, it will have a considerably more significant impact and probably requiring upgrading before anything else in there. you have a CPU task so it's not wasted but for games that's the logic.

Actually yeah that's better, would take some tweaking to get to the same specs (wouldn't necessarily need to buy the storage seperately, the SN550 is an option as is a WD HDD) but would still come out cheaper than building it yourself. Would still be good to replace the PSU though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

Do this, except swap the 3070 ti out for a regular 3070. It's extremely not worth the 90 quid that ti is adding to the cost. You can upgrade to 32GB of ram with that money instead it looks like. And then I'd just take the cheapest drive they have on offer and add your own to do a fresh install of windows onto.

It helps that this is using a pretty good case that's hard to mess up thermally.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 25, 2021

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Genuinely confused at how that deal is so cheap, honestly. The 3070 Ti is like £800 standalone at the moment. I know that's not MSRP but still.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Surprise T Rex posted:

Genuinely confused at how that deal is so cheap, honestly. The 3070 Ti is like £800 standalone at the moment. I know that's not MSRP but still.

because everything, gpus in particular, are marked up massively for everyone but system integrators (SIs). that one part is dragging you down.

AWD do the PCs for Costco, while I can't speak definitively to their business practices they come up on deal websites like this one (and get positive feedback) a lot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A large part of why that prebuilt is relatively cheap is due to how cost optimized the default configuration is. The default storage drive is minuscule, and it doesn't even come with a windows key. That's great for you since you can get SSDs for cheaper elsewhere and windows keys are $15 on SA Mart.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A large part of why that prebuilt is relatively cheap is due to how cost optimized the default configuration is. The default storage drive is minuscule, and it doesn't even come with a windows key. That's great for you since you can get SSDs for cheaper elsewhere and windows keys are $15 on SA Mart.

yeah, that's also why i recommend buying storage elsewhere, AWD makes their scratch from upgrades. something you can easily DIY will represent a relatively significant savings, typically.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Ah, that makes sense - I assumed that when GPU prices shot up that OEM type prices would also rise, but I guess the main problem with GPU prices atm is scalpers and not just "lol demand is high gently caress the consumer" behaviour from companies?

That build looks solid then. Would it be worth upgrading to the 5600x for CPU stuff like video editing/rendering? Also, while things like RAM and storage are probably cheaper elsewhere... since there's no option to say "No, I want no RAM" it seems to be actually cheaper to just upgrade on there than it is to buy with the base (terrible) 8gb of 2666 RAM or 240gb SSD and then upgrade separately and have leftover useless components.

Also, if I currently have Win10 (due to upgrading from 7 ages ago) do I still need to purchase a new copy? I was under the impression it was tied to your Windows login account now but I've never actually tried to swap to a new PC so I'm not sure.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
winders depends if it's an OEM copy or not, iirc. probably need a new key.

there's an option of 2x16 3200mhz that will probably be fine, that will get you to dual rank which is good apparently? the 5600 is a big performance but also price jump (about an extra 100 quid). in terms of storage are you looking for like, sata, NVME, what? been quite a few deals of late

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
and as for GPU prices, it's complicated, it's a clusterfuck, but SIs quite often negotiated these parts like 2+ years ago. the entire downstream is hosed but anyone who knew they would need them and had foresight have negotiated reasonable rates before the end of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I'd quite like an NVME drive, I've got a 500gb SSD in my PC at the moment but it's definitely just a SATA one, since it's not M2. Honestly I haven't filled this drive yet but that's probably a function of not being able to play AAA games very well on this thing, and being careful to copy photo/video projects onto a multitude of external drives.

I was planning to get a 1TB NVME drive for Windows plus games, and a bigger, slower HDD for storage of older video projects/photography stuff, etc. The secondary drive is less important atm though, and I could just use my current drive as a secondary for now.