Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

We just had a two hour meeting about the importance of customer service.

We're still planning on being fully open, with thousands of college kids in our dining hall, obviously unmasked while eating, even after we've learned Delta breaks through the vaccine, fucks people up, and doesn't give two shits about all our nice new plexiglass.

And the school is reinstating three person dorm rooms because hundreds of kids are homeless without them.

"Well, we'll see what happens at schools that open before we do." LMAO

But I'm sure that there is hand sanitizer everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The Libs (my former people) are jumping all over me for calling this the Biden Pandemic now.

I just can't figure out why he is letting kids die. Whose hair will he smell now?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Joementum posted:

test came back negative. :sweatdrop:

i think the hot, muggy weather here is just making me feel awful

it's very fun waking up every day with a minor headache, a faint throat itch and stuffy nose thinking it's COVID but instead realizing I'm just living

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Buffer posted:

they quarantined the positive and the desks immediately around them.

E: my kid is still in class, they didn't quarantine the whole classroom.

Jesus christ, good luck man

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
here's a good summary of back to school face-planting out of the gate: https://apnews.com/article/health-education-coronavirus-pandemic-ec73ec0e4150f6dd1a2c4f8a07c5ab8b

quote:

ATLANTA (AP) — A few weeks into the new school year, growing numbers of U.S. districts have halted in-person learning or switched to hybrid models because of rapidly mounting coronavirus infections.

More than 80 school districts or charter networks have closed or delayed in-person classes for at least one entire school in more than a dozen states. Others have sent home whole grade levels or asked half their students to stay home on hybrid schedules.

The setbacks in mostly small, rural districts that were among the first to return dampen hopes for a sustained, widespread return to classrooms after two years of schooling disrupted by the pandemic.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
So one of my kids tested positive and I tested positive but my two other kids tested negative. We’ve been trying to isolate from each other but you can only really do so much and the whole house has been quarantined. I received a call from one of my kid’s school saying he has an unexcused absence. We had sent a mail about the covid status Sunday night and figured all was good.

I explained the situation and they ask his covid test status, which is negative. Well that’s all they wanted to hear. With a negative test and being vaccinated he has no excuse and will be docked as having an unexcused absence.

Absurd policies like this is one of the many, many reasons we’re doomed.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I don’t like that everyone keeps telling me that I have to just get used to a dramatically worse life because no one can sit in their houses for more than 20 minutes without running out to buy something.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Nodelphi posted:

So one of my kids tested positive and I tested positive but my two other kids tested negative. We’ve been trying to isolate from each other but you can only really do so much and the whole house has been quarantined. I received a call from one of my kid’s school saying he has an unexcused absence. We had sent a mail about the covid status Sunday night and figured all was good.

I explained the situation and they ask his covid test status, which is negative. Well that’s all they wanted to hear. With a negative test and being vaccinated he has no excuse and will be docked as having an unexcused absence.

Get back out there and superspread, citizen

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Every day.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mod sassinator posted:

reminder that they've known this was the case, no approval before 2022, for at least the last 3 months--maybe even 6 months

tbf so did we

turns out that anon nbc source was right

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Nodelphi posted:

My retail company stopped giving any extra time off for covid after the federal money ran out for keeping employees home. Now it counts against you as an absence lmao.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Going to be exciting to watch this poo poo collide with states that have outlawed remote learning and/or have been told to treat covid-19 like any minor illness.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I remember having a hearty chuckle at that episode of DS9 where a few homeless people and a police officer dying changed the public's opinion about the way society was structured.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

That's pretty good. Does anyone have Sinovac numbers? I vaguely remember that they were also pretty good against hospitalization. Would be kind of pathetic if the MRNA magic juice works only better for four months.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Stereotype posted:

I don’t like that everyone keeps telling me that I have to just get used to a dramatically worse life because no one can sit in their houses for more than 20 minutes without running out to buy something.

"We're all gonna get it eventually" is such a loving quitter mindset and normally I'm all about quitting but not with a novel virus!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

have there been any universities opening up and immediately getting a million billion cases yet?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

https://twitter.com/crackconnoisser/status/1430234531844534278?s=19

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mike the TV posted:

My retail company stopped giving any extra time off for covid after the federal money ran out for keeping employees home. Now it counts against you as an absence lmao.

the new cdc guidance is to completely ignore the novel coronavirus. if you get it, well that sucks you should have been vaccinated. if you were vaccinated then you shouldn’t have been so fat or old. if you were young and healthy then that’s very rare.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Louisgod posted:

it's very fun waking up every day with a minor headache, a faint throat itch and stuffy nose thinking it's COVID but instead realizing I'm just living

yeah, i was mostly stressing out because a guy is supposed to come and install a new door on my place and he was in the hospital last week with cellulitis all over his face so the last thing he needs is to huff my covid fumes all day

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pillowpants posted:

The Libs (my former people) are jumping all over me for calling this the Biden Pandemic now.

I just can't figure out why he is letting kids die. Whose hair will he smell now?

*while looking at a sign depicting 650,000 people died of covid under trump, and 649,999 people have died of covid under biden*

how loving DARE you speak badly of biden.....HE IS NOT TRUMP!!!!!

*returns to computer to continue modding d&d*

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

WampaLord posted:

"We're all gonna get it eventually" is such a loving quitter mindset and normally I'm all about quitting but not with a novel virus!

everyone is fine when we as a society just totally give up and stop even pretending to do anything, but when I do it at work by boss gets really mad!!!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wait, looking at the plot again, why is there a sequencing failed line where the vaccine is consistently about 20% (absolute) less effective? Is that good?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Nodelphi posted:

i guess tell the idiots he has explosive diarrhea

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1430211589831946242

I'm guessing Delta having a shorter incubation time than Wild Type makes it more obvious that the antibodies wane quickly and you're reliant on t-cells for the most part after 2-4 months.

With Wild Type, it could be months after vaccination and a 7-10 day incubation period would be enough time for your t-cells to spin up and snuff out the virus.

But with Delta, there's only a couple months after vaccination where you have enough antibodies to prevent symptoms from appearing in the 2-3 day incubation period, and then when they wane you're reliant on t-cell memory to save you. Which it should, but not before you get some kind of symptoms/damage.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Crazyweasel posted:

I know there have been some email blasts for school boards and such, but I’m on the hunt for some data on how fast outbreaks are happening at open schools summaries.

For an overall “think of the children” thread, Feigl-Ding has a good one starting with a 3yr old on oxygen.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1428692825789587464

goddamnit thats terrifying

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

rona doesn't go away until the 30% of the us that's antivaxx (more realistically like 20% since a lot of them are lying about not being vaccinated for clout) dies from the Rona, sadly that's impossible to estimate due to every state underreporting actual deaths from comorbidities and just from people who survive and people hospitalized having a decade knocked off their life

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

in 2020 all covid deaths regardless of circumstance were trumps fault

in 2021 all covid deaths regardless of circumstance are the fault of the individual

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

everyone is getting the virus

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

This is what I had instead of coffee today

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This is the rest of our lives :shrug:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Real Mean Queen posted:

put me in the hospital in deschutes county so i can drink fresh squeezed all day

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

OK baizuo posted:

So you can boof oxygen?!

hell yeab now were poofin beefers

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

For one, he's not suggesting that we inject UV light and bleach, and he at least acknowledges that the pandemic is not a hoax, so that right there is a plus.

Let me ask you this: say Biden did turn around and have the Department of Education (or the appropriate administrative body) put out a mask mandate. Stating unequivocally that masks or vaccines are mandated for all staff and students that don't have genuine medical reasons, regardless of their vaccination status. Cool!

Then Florida, Texas, and all the red states tell him to go gently caress himself and continue doing what they're doing right now.

What then? Like what resources does he have at the federal level to enforce mask and vaccine mandates at John Q Public Elementary?

biden is literally powerless and cannot do anything at all to help anyone in any way because the almighty republican governors who rule the country with an iron fist have intimated that if he tried, they would take away his political capital. however, he is a really great strong leader who is way better than trump because he has not said we should drink bleach.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Real Mean Queen posted:

what kind of sick gently caress names a county "Yamhill"

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

everyone is getting the virus

CVS speedruns every 3 or 4 months seems like a very good idea until we have evidence that the 3rd shot actually has long-lasting antibodies against Delta

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Real Mean Queen posted:

goddamn, what site is this? I wanna send this to family members

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Stereotype posted:

everyone is fine when we as a society just totally give up and stop even pretending to do anything, but when I do it at work by boss gets really mad!!!

yeah, loving what gives???

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

net work error posted:

This is the rest of our lives :shrug:

this is not what I voted for!!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

what kind of sick gently caress names a county "Yamhill"

do you have a better name for a county that's a giant hill with yams growing on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Stereotype posted:

this is not what I voted for!!

don't blame me, i voted for bernie